Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part Three of Four Parts)

Richard Ballard

Dec 2, 2003, 6:45:16 AM12/2/03
Copyright 2003 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts One, Two and Four are contained in concurrent copyrighted
messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices
(Part One/Two/Four of Four Parts)", respectively. I provide
an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in subsequent
copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for Prospective
Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)", respectively.

<*> IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

IMO there is increasing tendancy within all types of groups
(including Pagan groups) to want "ins" with Government.

The following document uses the word 'Circle' in the manner
that most Wiccan documents use the word 'Coven' -- admittedly,
Covens form circles during their sabbat rituals. The following
Wiccan Rede version includes the Coven's (presumed) right of
eminent domain in item 70:

"A New Wiccan Book of the Law
A Manual for the Guidance of Groves, Covens, & Individuals

Compiled and edited by Lady Galadriel
© Copyright 1992 by Lady Galadriel
Moonstone Publications
PO Box 13384
Atlanta, GA 30324 USA

1. The Laws were created to give our lives form and order, that
all might be balanced throughout all of the planes. In truth
there are two sets of laws which govern us -- one setting forth
the ways of the Wiccan, and the other the ways of the Universe.
Both are important; each should be observed with respect and
treated with honor. The Laws were shaped and molded to govern
us, to teach us, to advise us, and to counsel us during our time
of mortal life on earth.

<snip>

66. Let each Circle of Light maintain and dedicate unto the
Goddess and the God all things that are required for Their
rituals, for what is blessed in the name of the Gods rightly
belongs to Them, and the Priest or Priestess shall be the
caretakers thereof.

67. Any of the Circle, who are of sufficient rank, and wish
to form a new Circle, shall tell the High Priestess and the
Elders of their intentions. Members of the old Circle may
join the new Circle when it is formed, but if they do so they
must leave the other Circle, unless otherwise instructed.
For it is an old law that while each Wiccan may join the Circle
of choice, no Wiccan's energy should be divided between two
or more Temples.

68. The Elders of the old and new Circles shall meet in peace
and with respect, to decide the level of interaction and
connection between the Circles. Yet it is known that the
splitting of a Circle often means strife. So only if it is
truly in a spirit of peace and harmony should the Circles
meet for the celebration of the Great Festivals.

69. None shall enter the Circle with a sickness or an ailment
which may be passed on to the Lady's other children - for to do
so causes harm to yourself, as well as to others of the Circle.
Rather should the Elders go unto the sick one, that through the
love of the Gods they shall be made well and whole once more.

[RB comment: Coven-based eminent domain --
who determines 'full price'? ]

70. It has been judged that if any of the Craft need a house
or land, and none will sell, it shall be lawful to incline
someone's mind so as to be willing to sell, providing it harms
none and the full price is paid without haggling.

71. The High Priest or High Priestess shall heed all complaints
of all Pagans and Wiccans, and strive to settle any differences
between them, with reason and with justice.

72. In the matter of quarrels or disputes between the members of
the Circle, the High Priestess shall convene the Council, and
inquire into the matter. The Council shall hear each person
privately, and then both together. And they shall decide justly,
not favoring one side nor the other.

[RB comment: Unhappy children flee the Circle.]

73. If an agreeable resolution cannot be reached, then the
dissenting Wiccan must void the Circle, for a Circle of Light
cannot be properly formed where there is disagreement and discord.
And when a Circle is not properly formed, the energy within is
either dissapated, or turns ugly, festering like a hidden sore.
So let dissenters leave, but only with love in their hearts and
yours, for even though your paths may diverge, you are still all
children of the Wicca, and there must be no violence between us.
Bear no grudges, hold no thoughts of vengeance, for this will rot
away the foundation of your power.

[RB comment: Free thinkers flee the Circle.]

74. It has ever been recognized that there are some people who
can never agree to work under any others. At the same time there
are also people who cannot rule justly. To those who must ever be
chief there is but one answer: "Void this Circle, and seek another
one, or if ye be of sufficient rank, then form a Circle of your own."
To those who cannot rule justly, the answer shall be: "Those who
cannot bear your rule will leave you". For none may circle with
whom they are at variance, because to do so angers the Gods, and
hinders the Craft.

[RB comment: The Universal Rule of Three.]

75. Those that do wrong without knowledge shall be held innocent;
those that do wrong through carelessness shall be judged lacking
in wisdom, and dealt with according to the nature of the
transgression. Those who do wrong with deliberation and forethought
shall be thrice punished, and the Lords of Karma shall lay low
their pride.

<snip>

84. Any Priestess, Priest, or Elder who consents to a breach of the
Laws regarding the use of the Craft to cause harm to others must
immediately be relieved of office, for it is the lives of the children
of the Goddess which they endanger, as well as the honor of the Craft.

[RB comment: Clever method to put The Maiden on ice for at least
one year. ]

85. The High Priestess may take a Sabbatical from her Circle, if
her personal life and duties require it, for up to a year and a day.
During that time, the Maiden shall act as High Priestess. If the
High Priestess does not return at the end of a year and a day, then
the Initiates of the Circle shall name a new Priestess. Unless
there is good reason to the contrary, the person who has done the
work of the Priestess should reap the reward. If someone else is
named, then the Maiden should continue in that office.

86. Each Priestess and Priest shall choose their own consorts, yet
let them select from those who are wise in the learning of our people,
and thus others shall abide by the wisdom of their choice. Yet if
the Circle feels the decision is ill-advised, or that they cannot
abide and work in honor and trust with that consort, then they may
request a gathering of all concerned to meet and to talk, and to
resolve the balance with love and honor. For only those who are
pure and strong, keen and wise, patient and loving, can effectively
and properly carry out the duties of a Keeper of the Circle.

[RB comment: Consort (86) versus mates and children (87)? ]

87. Those of the Priesthood shall not neglect their mates, or their
children, or their house, nor anything which is in their possession;
nor shall the sick and the needy be neglected for the sake of the
Circle. Therefore let them adjust the one thing against the other,
that neither should suffer, and that which is given by the Gods is
treated with love and respect.

[RB comment: Priest (88) versus mates and children (87)? ]

88. Long ago, at the time of Creation, it was deemed that the
female should hold the power of life-giving. So mightily was the
male force drawn to the love and beauty of the Creation of life,
that he surrendered unto her keeping the force of his powers in the
furtherance of life. Yet the Priestess must always remember that
the flames which light the fires within her come from the Priest.
Therefore she must use the force wisely, and only with love, and she
must honor and respect him, who is the activator of the Life Force.

HERE ENDS A NEW WICCAN BOOK OF THE LAW."

***IMO I have adequately and concretely documented
Wiccan interest in real estate.*** I believe the excerpted
document's item 70 (written by another) speaks for itself
in suggesting a Coven's right to 'eminent domain'. "incline
someone's mind" is a vague phrase, suggesting "Wouldn't you
be happier somewhere else?" based upon my experience.
A Lot can happen. And Noah felt very safe -- no breeze was
going to dislodge his ark from atop the mountains of Ararat
just north of 21st Century Iraq.

Mr. Ballard is writing this clearly so that the issue will _not_
be confused or mistakenly dismissed.

BTW, brief excerpts from copyrighted documents (when
presented with author acknowledgment and with value added
comments) are not copyright violations.

Many Wiccans also promote the 'The Universal Rule Of Three'
(also termed the 'Law of Threefold Return'), the idea that
anything that someone does will be returned to them threefold.
In other words, good deeds are magnified back to the source,
and ill deeds are magnified back to the source.

Like the Wiccan Rede, 'The Universal Rule Of Three' might be
considered a binding rule, advice, or might be ignored by
members of a particular Wiccan Tradition. This is significant --
'ill deeds' depends upon the Tradition-dependent interpretation
of the Wiccan Rede. One Tradition's non-issue might be another
Tradition's sin.

I have major reservations concerning some Wiccans' interpretation
of 'The Universal Rule of Three'. I believe that some Wiccans
interpret 'The Universal Rule of Three' as justifying their acting
as 'judge, jury and executioner'. That is, I believe that some
Wiccans use 'The Universal Rule of Three' to justify 'vigilante
lessons' against non-Wiccans. I have observed situations where
Wiccan Circle and Coven members have cooperated to teach
(punishing) Wiccan lessons to non-Wiccans.

I also have observed situations where Wiccan Circle and Coven
members have hired non-Wiccan mercenaries to teach (violent,
punishing) lessons to non-Wiccans. I find this particularly
troubling. Many Wiccan initiation oaths include the promise
to act 'in perfect love and perfect trust', yet Wiccans are
hiring non-Wiccan mercenaries to violently punish non-Wiccans.
There is an maxim dating back to Victorian England: 'Jack Tar
never is invited to dinner.' The name 'Jack Tar' denotes the
common sailor (who in Victorian times often had hands stained
with tar used to seal wooden ship's hulls). The maxim indicates
that a person can go down to the docks and safely hire a common
sailor to do their dirty work (e.g., cripple a rival, a terrible
form of chaotic magick), knowing that the sailor would ship out
after the dirty work was complete, but the sailor _never_ should
be admitted to your family's acquaintance. Hiring (anti)social
misfits to perform Wiccan dirty work is not acting 'in perfect
love and perfect trust', but this _is_ happening.

In my locale hired mercenaries often are termed 'throw-away
rollers' (analogous to disposable paint rollers). Throw-away
rollers from a different neighborhood are hired, used once, then
thrown away (i.e., never hired again). Not reusing 'throw-away
rollers' helps to ensure that the individual hiring the mercenaries
will not be identified and punished.

Throughout this document I have questioned the wisdom of
making binding oaths of obedience to Wiccan Covens, particularly
given a nationwide housing shortage. I worry because there is
more than one way to execute a binding oath. One method that
is particularly effective with daughters or girlfriends is having
a 'throw-away roller' state "Now young woman, you owe me money,
your credit is exhausted and if you can not pay me in cash you
must work off this debt." (Sometimes young woman's credit is
exhausted because young woman's friend charged it up to the
limit.) ***Pixie dust can be very expensive, particularly if
Tinkerbell likes to play rough with young women.***

Most men would not submit to this type of intimidation,
but it is difficult to protect loved ones 24 hours daily, 365 days
per year. And once somebody submits to coercion, the bullies have
no reason not to demand more ... and more ... and more ...
IMO people *never* should open the door to coercion.

By alluding to drugs ('pixie dust') some people say that I
damage the entire Pagan community. I have done *nothing* to
discredit the entire Pagan community -- a few bad apples does
not discredit appledom, and a few bad peaches does not discredit
peachdom. But debt is one method that people use to (attempt to)
control others. This is true both within the Pagan community and
within overall society. Sweet ol' Granny usually isn't a drug
dealer or an extortionist (unless she has plenty of muscle backing
her up). And (a-hem) alchemy and potions always has been a
magickal concern -- what's cooking in that 21st Century cauldron?

Frankly, most of the Pagans I meet are too poor to afford
expensive recreational drugs. In fairness I do not know their
history and I do not ask.

Some people say that I should not discuss these issues
on the Internet. Local problems (sometimes) get solved locally
-- this is not my job or responsibility. These problems will
_not_ get solved on the Internet, and the Internet is ripe ground
for slander charges. But social pressure to censor generic
problem discussion will not improve the situation for any one
or for any body.

I am concerned about the flood of negativity that I observe
on Pagan-related newsgroups (above and beyond the flood
of unnecessary profanity that I ignore). I am attempting to
provide Wiccan- and Pagan-relevant information in a positive
and socially-constructive manner, but every aspect of Paganism
is not peachy.

Mr. Ballard is writing this clearly so that the issue will _not_
be confused or mistakenly dismissed.

F) *Witch* is a term that many interpret differently. I interpret
the term 'witch' as women and men who use Magick in a goal-
oriented manner _not_ constrained by morality or ethics. Witches
are _not_ bound to work in groups or to have common purpose. I
do _not_ consider witchcraft a religion, I do _not_ equate
witchcraft and Wicca, and I know _no requirement_ for an
initiation into witchcraft -- witches can be solitary practitioners.

Apparently Christian governments tested and tried accused witches
as 'brides of satan' during 'The Burning Times'. [Ref: "Haxan:
Witchcraft Through The Ages", 1929 silent film directed by Benjamin
Christensen and narrated by William Burroughs (author of "The
Naked Lunch"). "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft"
by Denise Zimmermann and Katherine A. Gleason is a textual reference
to 'The Burning Times'.]

G) I believe that *Wicca* is a Magick-users' religion that
celebrates the (agricultural) fertility of the Earth and human
fertility. I believe that as a religious individuals, Wiccans
_are_ constrained by ethics and morality. I believe that a
religion that celebrates the agricultural fertility of the Earth
must incorporate ecology into its religious beliefs. Similarly,
I believe that a religion that celebrates human fertility must
incorporate _responsible child-bearing_ into its religious beliefs,
including ***avoidance of unwanted pregnancies*** and responsible
loving care of the children both parents choose to have.

Many Wiccan texts discuss ecology -- few discuss responsible
child-bearing and child-raising. I believe that in recent years
the topics of ecology and responsible child-bearing have been
de-emphasized on witchcraft- and Wicca-related Internet newsgroups.
I believe that with the continuing shrinking of the United States'
domestic economy and the shrinking of global energy supplies,
ecology, family planning and responsible child-raising deserve
renewed emphasis. During hard times, raising fewer children
_better_ benefits everyone. At the same time, IMO with good faith
modern birth control is very effective and physical intimacy
strengthens the spousal bond.

I find it ironic that Wicca and witchcraft dismisses the value
of romantic love. Romantic love stabilizes and strengthens
family relationships and benefits all family members,
particularly the children of loving parents.

Potions and herbs are an integral part of Magick. Along with
renewed emphasis on ecology, family planning and responsible
child-raising I believe that Wiccans must understand the
consequences of both naturally-occuring and human-made mutagenic
substances. Mutagenic substances are substances that modify
genetic material. The human reproductive system is particularly
sensitive to mutagenic substances.

The female and male human reproductive systems differ in
important ways. At menarch (onset of menstruation) a fertile
female already has produced _all of the eggs_ she will produce
throughout her lifetime. Exposure to mutagenic substances
_anytime_ during her lifetime threatens to damage _all_ of a
female's remaining fertile eggs. Once damaged the female's
eggs _never heal_ -- any damage to a female's fertile eggs is
_not_ reversible. Fertile males, OTOH, produce sperm continuously
from onset of puberty through old age -- the quantity and health
(e.g., strength and motility) of the male sperm declines with age,
but sperm production continues. If a male's sperm is damaged due
to exposure to mutagenic substances, the male's genetic damage
might (or might not) heal.

Naturally occuring ionizing radiation also is mutagenic, and
exposure accumulates throughout a person's lifetime. Young
people have less exposure (and less possibility of genetic
damage) from naturally occuring hard radiation.

Mutagenic substances harm human fertility. IMO Wiccans
(with their religious emphasis on human fertility) must be
_acutely aware_ of the consequences of exposure to
mutagenic substances. Some recreational drugs are
mutagenic substances.

Apparently (im)proper nutrition also affects the quality
of both male and female human fertility. Given that a woman's
lifetime supply of fertile eggs exists at menarche (onset of
menstruation), the importance of good childhood nutrition
for females is obvious.

I have observed literally hundreds of questions asking 'What
is the true Wicca?' I have observed few good answers. The
best answer I have observed from others is 'My Wiccan Tradition
defines Wicca to be ... .'

Wicca with its fertility emphasis emphasizes The Goddess
and the feminine perspective, but both women and men can be
Wiccans. In my experience male witches are a rarity. In
my locale young men are drawn to satanism rather than Wicca.

'Blessed be' is a common Wiccan salutation. 'Blessed be'
has several interpretations. In my locale the most common
interpretation is 'I hope that your attempts at pregnancy
are successful'. A less common interpretation is 'I hope
that your partner/significant-other will submit' (usually
to matrimony or to joining a Coven/Family). This interpretation
can be aided by the use of a 'blessed bee' -- a needle used to
puncture holes in a condom to facilitate pregnancy and
subsequent forced marriage (an act that either partner can
perform. Sexually transmitted diseases can complicate this
action.)

Some people say that 'Blessed Be' is a mere greeting
meaning nothing more than Goodbye and Goodluck and that I am
stretching this greeting's intention to preposterous levels.

I stand on my statements based upon common language
usage in my locale. And based upon the downsizing United States
domestic economy with high un(der)employment and record credit
levels, I anticipate that many people (a gender-independent term)
will consider marriage as one solution to their worsening
financial problems.

Another less common 'blessed bee' interpretation is the
tattoo needle or marker that is used to mark initiates
who have completed their apprenticeship and who are qualified
to become full Wiccan Coven or Pagan Family members.

Wicca emphasizes the Goddess and the fertility, but the tenets
followed by most Wiccan Traditions [the Wiccan Rede ('An ye
harm none, do what ye will ...') and 'The Universal Rule Of Three'
('any action will be returned to the source threefold')] have
little correspondence with the Wiccan Goddess and with fertility.
I believe the French concept 'noblesse oblige' is best suited to
Wicca's emphasis of the Goddess and fertility. 'Noblesse oblige'
is an ethical concept stating that individuals who know quality
are obliged to perform quality actions -- the discretion of
prioritizaton is left to the individual. 'Noblesse oblige'
encourages responsible actions. Furthermore, 'noblesse oblige'
unambiguously solves the recurring Wiccan debate concerning
whether performing ill actions _ever_ can be justified under
the Wiccan Rede and 'The Universal Rule Of Three' -- ill actions
_never_ are justified under the concept of 'noblesse oblige'.
The discretion of prioritization allowed under 'noblesse oblige'
reflects economic reality. We cannot afford _everything_ we want.
Often the realistic and quality alternative to an unreasonable
desire is to accept nothing. 'Noblesse oblige' obliges the
individual to make quality, realistic choices followed by quality,
responsible actions. No one is harmed under the 'noblesse
oblige' philosophy, yet nobody might benefit if accepting nothing
is the alternative which is chosen.

Witch wars sometimes result in chaotic attacks -- i.e., a
flood of annoyances, insults and small injuries. Under a 'noblesse
oblige' philosophy should One suffer these attacks stoically, or
should One respond to the attacks?

I believe that accumulation of harm dictates the victim's
response. Ignoring a small annoyance, a small insult, or a small
injury is both polite and economical. But repeated small
annoyances, small insults, and small injuries can accumulate into
significant harm.

I believe that submitting to significant harm is damaging both
to an individual's life and also to their self-respect. I also
believe that submitting to significant harm might be not moral
and not ethical -- the victim is ignoring the difference (and the
consequences) between right and ... (a-hem) wrong.

Thus I believe that an ethical person's stoicism must be
tempered by the accumulated harm received. IMO infinite
stoicism is self-destructive.

The alternative to self-destruction? Well, one alternative
is the realization that the lightest burdens are those that you
refuse to carry (e.g., another's self-serving attempts to
instill unreasonable guilt).

I do _not_ equate witchcraft and Wicca. I strongly recommend
viewing the film "Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages" by director
Benjamin Christenson. The film is very (stereotypically) prejudicial
against witches, but the film explains the reasons underlying its
prejudices and the film documents public perception of witchcraft
as lacking a moral or ethical character. I believe that Wicca is
a religion that includes morality and ethics. Without morality
and ethics I believe that public perception of Wicca will be as
prejudicial as the attitudes presented in "Haxan: Witchcraft
Through The Ages".

*****End of Part Three*****

The comments contained herein are my opinions. This message
was not solicited by Amazon.com, any author, any artist, or their
agent(s), publisher(s), producer(s) or distributor(s).

I am *not* an Islamic or Judaic scholar.

I am *not* legally qualified to provide medical, psychological,
legal, financial or religious opinions, but I have discussed some
issues with my Attorney and have read extensively in these areas.
I have strong opinions.

I got no problems.
Other people got problems.
00: 21 _8 02 03/35 06 09

Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
--
Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
Last book review: "Combatting Cult Mind Control"
by Steven Hassan

Richard Ballard

Jan 14, 2004, 11:05:27 AM1/14/04
Copyright 2003, 2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.

[...]

IMO people *never* should open the door to coercion. Yet
at the same time, IMO people should *never* surrender their
civil liberties due to coercion and extortion attempts.

<*> Apparently (im)proper nutrition also affects the quality

of both male and female human fertility. Given that a woman's
lifetime supply of fertile eggs exists at menarche (onset of
menstruation), the importance of good childhood nutrition

for females is obvious. (Mal)Nutrition is becoming increasingly
relevant as United States food prices rise rapidly and _food
pantries are drained_.

<*> I expect United States malnutrition concerns to grow
in the future because United States agriculture is a heavy
user of energy, and rising energy prices raise food prices.
And some people will decide to feed their cars before they
feed their kids.

<*> I expect food price rises due to the 'Mad Cow Disease' issue,
with beef prices rising as United States ranchers increase the
amount of grain in cattles' diet (thereby raising grain demand
and price). I also expect price rises in pork, chicken, cereal
and baked goods as a result of increased grain prices.

<*> When food prices rise, the impoverished have less to eat.
This fact lends perspective to the potato's place within
Edain McCoy's Wittan Tradition.

[...]

domestic economy with high un(der)employment (few new jobs
are being created) and record credit levels, I anticipate that

[...]

is the alternative which is chosen. The statement "I prefer
no companions to bad companions" reflects noblesse oblige.

[...]

stoicism is self-destructive, and IMO a person never should
surrender his/her civil liberties.

*****End of Part Three*****

Last book reviews: "Necronomicon" & "Necronomicon Spellbook"
by Ed Simon

Richard Ballard

Mar 6, 2004, 12:44:27 PM3/6/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.

Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent

copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan

Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.

<snip>

<snip>

Most men would not submit to this type of intimidation,

<*> Mutagenic substances harm human fertility. IMO Wiccans

(with their religious emphasis on human fertility) must be
_acutely aware_ of the consequences of exposure to
mutagenic substances. Some recreational drugs are

mutagenic substances. IMO Wiccans also should be knowledgable
about birth control technologies, their use and their reliability.

<*> Apparently (im)proper nutrition also affects the quality
of both male and female human fertility. Given that a woman's
lifetime supply of fertile eggs exists at menarche (onset of
menstruation), the importance of good childhood nutrition
for females is obvious. (Mal)Nutrition is becoming increasingly
relevant as United States food prices rise rapidly and _food

pantries are drained_. (During a recent grocery workers' strike
a nearby food pantry shut down both during and for several months
after the strike's resolution -- the pipeline never refilled.)

I expect United States malnutrition concerns to grow
in the future because United States agriculture is a heavy
user of energy, and rising energy prices raise food prices.
And some people will decide to feed their cars before they
feed their kids.

When food prices rise, the impoverished have less to eat.

I stand behind my statements based upon common language usage

in my locale. And based upon the downsizing United States
domestic economy with high un(der)employment (few new jobs
are being created) and record credit levels, I anticipate that
many people (a gender-independent term) will consider marriage
as one solution to their worsening financial problems.

Another less common 'blessed bee' interpretation is the
tattoo needle or marker that is used to mark initiates
who have completed their apprenticeship and who are qualified
to become full Wiccan Coven or Pagan Family members.

Wicca emphasizes the Goddess and the fertility, but the tenets

<*> I believe that accumulation of harm dictates the victim's

response. Ignoring a small annoyance, a small insult, or
a small injury is both polite and economical. But repeated
small annoyances, small insults, and small injuries can

accumulate into significant harm (e.g., ulcers).

I believe that submitting to significant harm is damaging both
to an individual's life and also to their self-respect. I also
believe that submitting to significant harm might be not moral
and not ethical -- the victim is ignoring the difference (and the
consequences) between right and ... (a-hem) wrong.

Thus I believe that an ethical person's stoicism must be

tempered by the accumulated harm received. IMO infinite

stoicism is self-destructive, and IMO a person _never_ should
surrender his/her civil liberties.

*****End of Part Three*****

Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

Richard Ballard

Mar 6, 2004, 2:21:49 PM3/6/04
In article <20040306124404...@mb-m03.aol.com>,
rball...@aol.com (Richard Ballard) writes:

>Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
>Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
>Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
>with a <*> marker.
>
>Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
>copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
>Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
>I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
>subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List
>for Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)",
>respectively.

Starting this issuance, I provide an accompanying list of

Wicca-related references in subsequent copyrighted messages
entitled "A Reference List for Prospective Wiccan Novices

(Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)", respectively.

>IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
>On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
>"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
>on this Internet newsgroup.

Sorry 'bout dat.

Richard Ballard

Apr 11, 2004, 2:36:46 PM4/11/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker. [None in Part Three this time.]

Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for

Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

<snip>

<snip>

Mutagenic substances harm human fertility. IMO Wiccans

(with their religious emphasis on human fertility) must be
_acutely aware_ of the consequences of exposure to
mutagenic substances. Some recreational drugs are
mutagenic substances. IMO Wiccans also should be knowledgable
about birth control technologies, their use and their reliability.

Apparently (im)proper nutrition also affects the quality

I believe that accumulation of harm dictates the victim's

*****End of Part Three*****

"All Rights Reserved"?
If I 'right' must I reserve?

Richard Ballard

May 28, 2004, 3:06:04 PM5/28/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent

copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.

On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

IMO there is increasing tendency within all types of groups

(including Pagan groups) to want "ins" with Government.

The following excerpt uses the word 'Circle' in the manner
that most Wiccans use the word 'Coven' -- admittedly, some
Covens form physical circles during their sabbat rituals.

The following Wiccan Rede version includes the Coven's

(self-presumed) right of eminent domain in item 70:

<snip>

either dissipated, or turns ugly, festering like a hidden sore.

<snip>

I believe the excerpt's item 70 (written by another) speaks for
Wiccan interest in controlling real estate by suggesting a Coven's
self-proclaimed right to 'eminent domain', a right usually reserved
***sparingly and with limitations*** to elected government.
Item 70's "incline someone's mind" is a vague phrase, suggesting

[...]

Wiccan Coven members have cooperated to teach (punishing) lessons
to non-Wiccans.

<*> I also have observed (and experienced) situations where Wiccan

Coven members have hired non-Wiccan mercenaries to teach (violent,
punishing) lessons to non-Wiccans. I find this particularly
troubling. Many Wiccan initiation oaths include the promise
to act 'in perfect love and perfect trust', yet Wiccans are
hiring non-Wiccan mercenaries to violently punish non-Wiccans.

<*> There is a saying dating back to Victorian England: 'Jack Tar

never is invited to dinner.' The name 'Jack Tar' denotes the
common sailor (who in Victorian times often had hands stained

with tar used to seal wooden ship's hulls). The saying indicates

that a person can go down to the docks and safely hire a common
sailor to do their dirty work (e.g., cripple a rival, a terrible

form of chaotic magick) knowing that the sailor would ship out

after the dirty work was complete, but the sailor _never_ should
be admitted to your family's acquaintance. Hiring (anti)social
misfits to perform Wiccan dirty work is not acting 'in perfect

love and perfect trust', but this _is_ happening. And anybody
questioning my knowledge of Victorian ethics can learn by
reading the book "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes
(ISBN 0-394-75366-6). In "The Fatal Shore" Mr. Hughes discusses
the British colonization of Australia.

In my locale hired mercenaries often are termed 'throw-away
rollers' (analogous to disposable paint rollers). Throw-away
rollers from a different neighborhood are hired, used once, then
thrown away (i.e., never hired again). Not reusing 'throw-away
rollers' helps to ensure that the individual hiring the mercenaries
will not be identified and punished.

Throughout this message I have questioned the wisdom of

making binding oaths of obedience to Wiccan Covens, particularly
given a nationwide housing shortage. I worry because there is
more than one way to execute a binding oath. One method that
is particularly effective with daughters or girlfriends is having

a 'throw-away roller' (threateningly) state "Now young woman, you

owe me money, your credit is exhausted and if you can not pay me
in cash you must work off this debt." (Sometimes young woman's
credit is exhausted because young woman's friend charged it up to
the limit.) ***Pixie dust can be very expensive, particularly if
Tinkerbell likes to play rough with young women.***

<*> Most men would not submit to this type of intimidation,

but it is difficult to protect loved ones 24 hours daily, 365 days
per year. And once somebody submits to coercion, the bullies have
no reason not to demand more ... and more ... and more ...

IMO people *never* should open the door to coercion. And
IMO people should *never* surrender their civil liberties to
coercion and extortion attempts, an embarrassing form of terrorism.

[...]

for any one or for any body. And hiding a problem helps to
strengthen and to perpetuate the problem.

Mr. Ballard is writing this clearly so that the issue will _not_
be confused or mistakenly dismissed.

F) *Witch* is a term that many interpret differently. I interpret
the term 'witch' as women and men who use Magick in a goal-oriented
manner _not_ constrained by morality or ethics. Witches are _not_
bound to work in groups or to have common purpose. I do _not_
consider witchcraft a religion, I do _not_ equate witchcraft and

Wicca, and I know _no requirement_ for an initiation into witchcraft.
Witches can be solitary practitioners.

Apparently Christian governments tested and tried accused witches
as 'brides of satan' during 'The Burning Times'. [Ref: "Haxan:
Witchcraft Through The Ages", 1929 silent film directed by Benjamin
Christensen and narrated by William Burroughs (author of "The
Naked Lunch"). "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft"

by Denise Zimmermann and Katherine A. Gleason discusses 'The
Burning Times'.]

G) IMO *Wicca* is a Magick-users' religion that celebrates the
(agricultural) fertility of the Earth and human fertility. IMO
as religious individuals, Wiccans _are_ constrained by ethics
and morality. IMO a religion that celebrates the agricultural

fertility of the Earth must incorporate ecology into its religious

beliefs. Similarly, IMO a religion that celebrates human fertility

must incorporate _responsible child-bearing_ into its religious
beliefs, including ***avoidance of unwanted pregnancies*** and

responsible loving care of the children that both parents choose
to have.

<*> Many Wiccan texts discuss ecology -- few discuss responsible

child-bearing and child-raising. I believe that in recent years
the topics of ecology and responsible child-bearing have been
de-emphasized on witchcraft- and Wicca-related Internet newsgroups.

With recent references to modern medicine, some Pagan and Wiccan
women have stated that men (at best) hold a temporary role in
pregnancy, and that after conception men have no further value.
IMO these statements ignore the costs of childraising and education
while discounting completely a father's value to a maturing child.

I believe that with the continuing shrinking of the United States'
domestic economy and the shrinking of global energy supplies,
ecology, family planning and responsible child-raising deserve
renewed emphasis. During hard times, raising fewer children
_better_ benefits everyone. At the same time, IMO with good faith
modern birth control is very effective and physical intimacy
strengthens the spousal bond.

I find it ironic that Wicca and witchcraft dismisses the value
of romantic love. Romantic love stabilizes and strengthens
family relationships and benefits all family members,
particularly the children of loving parents.

Potions and herbs are an integral part of Magick. Along with
renewed emphasis on ecology, family planning and responsible

child-raising IMO Wiccans must understand the consequences both
of naturally occurring and of human-made mutagenic substances.

Mutagenic substances are substances that modify genetic material.
The human reproductive system is particularly sensitive to
mutagenic substances.

The female and male human reproductive systems differ in

important ways. At menarche (onset of menstruation) a fertile
female already has produced _all_ of the eggs she will produce

throughout her lifetime. Exposure to mutagenic substances
_anytime_ during her lifetime threatens to damage _all_ of a

female's remaining fertile eggs. Once damaged, the female's

eggs _never heal_ -- any damage to a female's fertile eggs is
_not_ reversible. Fertile males, OTOH, produce sperm continuously
from onset of puberty through old age -- the quantity and health

(e.g., strength and motility) of the sperm declines with age,

but sperm production continues. If a male's sperm is damaged due
to exposure to mutagenic substances, the male's genetic damage
might (or might not) heal.

Naturally occurring ionizing radiation also is mutagenic, and

exposure accumulates throughout a person's lifetime. Young
people have less exposure (and less possibility of genetic

damage) from naturally occurring hard radiation.

<*> Mutagenic substances harm human fertility. IMO Wiccans

(with their religious emphasis on human fertility) must be
_acutely aware_ of the consequences of exposure to
mutagenic substances. Some recreational drugs are

mutagenic substances. IMO Wiccans also should be knowledgeable

about birth control technologies, their use and their reliability.

Intercourse does not equate to pregnancy.

<*> Apparently (im)proper nutrition also affects the quality

of both male and female human fertility. Given that a woman's
lifetime supply of fertile eggs exists at menarche (onset of
menstruation), the importance of good childhood nutrition
for females is obvious. (Mal)Nutrition is becoming increasingly
relevant as United States food prices rise rapidly and _food

pantries are emptied_. (During a recent grocery workers' strike

a nearby food pantry shut down both during and for several months
after the strike's resolution -- the pipeline never refilled.)

IMO rising energy prices will force future rising food prices, and
'too many mouths to feed' will become a increasing burden. Yet
IMO some people will decide to feed their cars before they feed
their kids.

[...]

little relationship to the Wiccan Goddess and with fertility.
IMO the French concept 'noblesse oblige' is best suited to
Wiccan emphasis on the Goddess and fertility. Noblesse oblige

is an ethical concept stating that individuals who know quality
are obliged to perform quality actions -- the discretion of

prioritization is left to the individual. Noblesse oblige

[...]

flood of annoyances, insults and injuries. Under a
noblesse oblige philosophy, should a victim respond stoically
or actively to chaotic attacks? IMO accumulation of harm dictates

the victim's response. Ignoring a small annoyance, a small insult,
or a small injury is both polite and economical. But repeated

annoyances, insults, and injuries can accumulate into significant
harm (e.g., ulcers).

<*> IMO submitting to significant harm is damaging both to a victim's

life and also to their self-respect. I also believe that submitting
to significant harm might be not moral and not ethical -- the victim
is ignoring the difference (and the consequences) between right and

(a-hem) wrong. IMO an ethical person's stoicism must be tempered

by the accumulated harm received. IMO infinite stoicism is

self-destructive and not acceptable.

The alternative to self-destruction? Well, one alternative is the

realization that the lightest burdens are those you refuse to carry

(e.g., another's self-serving attempts to instill unreasonable guilt).

I do _not_ equate witchcraft and Wicca. I strongly recommend
viewing the film "Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages" by director

Benjamin Christenson. The film is very prejudicial against witches,

but the film explains the reasons underlying its prejudices and the

film depicts public perception of witchcraft as lacking a moral or
ethical character. IMO Wicca is a religion that must include morality
and ethics. Without morality and ethics, IMO public perception of
Wicca will be as prejudicial as the attitudes depicted in "Haxan:

Richard Ballard

Jul 15, 2004, 8:42:15 AM7/15/04

<snip>

<snip>

[...]

00: 18+ _8 02 03/35 06 09

Richard Ballard

Sep 1, 2004, 9:20:18 AM9/1/04

<snip>

<snip>

<*> By alluding to drugs ('pixie dust') some people say that I

damage the entire Pagan community. I have done *nothing* to
discredit the entire Pagan community -- a few bad apples does
not discredit appledom, and a few bad peaches does not discredit

peachdom. But debt is one method that people use to control

others. This is true both within the Pagan community and

within overall society. Sweet ol' Mom usually isn't a drug
dealer or an extortionist [unless she has plenty of muscle backing
her up (as depicted in the film 'Doctor Detroit' starring
Dan Ackroyd and Howard Hesseman)]. And alchemy and potions
always have been a magickal concern. What's cooking in that
21st Century cauldron -- Viagra(TM) and Cialis(TM)?

<*> Many Wiccan texts discuss ecology -- few discuss responsible

child-bearing and child-raising. I believe that in recent years
the topics of ecology and responsible child-bearing have been
de-emphasized on witchcraft- and Wicca-related Internet newsgroups.
With recent references to modern medicine, some Pagan and Wiccan
women have stated that men (at best) hold a temporary role in

pregnancy, stating that after conception men have no further value
(beyond child support and spousal maintenance payments).

<*> And in his c1999 socioeconomic text "The Decline Of Males:
The First Look At An Unexpected New World For Men And Women"
(ISBN 0-312-26311-2), Professor Lionel Tiger stresses that the
(Western) post-industrial employment marketplace devalues male
hunting aptitudes, preferring the nurturing aptitudes of
(single, economically motivated) women raising children. As a
result, Professor Tiger states that for financial reasons women
increasingly are rejecting men as life partners. IMO this trend
creates a situation where maturing children lack adult male
perspective in their education and socialization -- a serious
disadvantage in their future dealings with adults of both genders.
And I wonder if worsening economic conditions (with fewer service
jobs and poorer nutrition) plus senior citizenship (with acute
arthritis and/or osteoporosis?) might create additional
difficulties for 'w0men' (i.e., without men) -- difficulties
not solved by same sex partnerships.

*****End of Part Three*****

I gut no problems.
Other people gut problems.

Richard Ballard

Sep 1, 2004, 10:48:55 AM9/1/04

In article <20040901091950...@mb-m15.aol.com>,
rball...@aol.com (Richard Ballard) writes:

>Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
>Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
>Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
>with a <*> marker.
>
>Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
>copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
>Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
>I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
>subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
>Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
>respectively.
>
>IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
>On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
>"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
>on this Internet newsgroup.
>
>IMO there is increasing tendency within all types of groups
>(including Pagan groups) to want "ins" with Government.

<snip>

<*> I can imagine skeptics laughing that I am an alarmist (and/or
foolish) positing "if worsening economic conditions (with fewer

service jobs and poorer nutrition) plus senior citizenship (with
acute arthritis and/or osteoporosis?) might create additional
difficulties for 'w0men' (i.e., without men) -- difficulties

not solved by same sex parterships". Most people are familiar
with the classic _positive_ film "It's A Wonderful Life" starring
Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed, a film that portrays civilian housing
and civilian financial problems during World War II. Fewer
people are familiar with the classic _negative_ novel "The Jungle"
(ISBN 0-451-52420-9) by author Upton Sinclair. "The Jungle" depicts
Lithuanian immigrants' struggles in World War I Chicago to obtain
employment, food, housing and health care. IMO both the
positive classic film and the negative classic novel offer valuable
insights into the austerity resulting from warfare. And (as
evidenced by post-World War I Germany) printing press dollars
(and credit) can not defer this austerity indefinitely.

>I believe that with the continuing shrinking of the United States'
>domestic economy and the shrinking of global energy supplies,
>ecology, family planning and responsible child-raising deserve
>renewed emphasis. During hard times, raising fewer children
>_better_ benefits everyone. At the same time, IMO with good faith
>modern birth control is very effective and physical intimacy
>strengthens the spousal bond.
>
>I find it ironic that Wicca and witchcraft dismisses the value
>of romantic love. Romantic love stabilizes and strengthens
>family relationships and benefits all family members,
>particularly the children of loving parents.

<snip>

>IMO rising energy prices will force future rising food prices, and
>'too many mouths to feed' will become a increasing burden. Yet
>IMO some people will decide to feed their cars before they feed
>their kids.

<snip>

Richard Ballard

Sep 2, 2004, 6:43:23 AM9/2/04
In Message-ID: <17e70c9....@chatterly.easynews.com>,
Lady Chatterly <@dev.null> writes:

>In article <20040901104855...@mb-m12.aol.com>,

>rball...@aol.com (Richard Ballard) wrote:
>
>>Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
>>Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
>>with a <*> marker.
>

>Don't try to make children grow up to be like you, or they may do it.

>>The comments contained herein are my opinions. This message
>>was not solicited by Amazon.com, any author, any artist, or their
>>agent(s), publisher(s), producer(s) or distributor(s).
>

>If you went to a plastic surgeon and asked him for a makeover,
>I bet he would give you a lobotomy.

>>I am *not* legally qualified to provide medical, psychological,
>>legal, financial or religious opinions, but I have discussed some
>>issues with my Attorney and have read extensively in these areas.
>>I have strong opinions.
>

>When I look into your eyes, I see the back of your head.
>
>You can't win and you can't quit the game.

I am _not_ a Wiccan, a witch, a Pagan or a satanist. People
ask me "Why are you providing these definitions on the Internet?"
One reason is that I first heard about Wicca in an acquaintance's
chance comment, and learning details about Paganism and Wicca has
cost me (and continues to cost me) much time and trouble. Another
reason I provide these definitions is the flood of negativism on
the Pagan- and Wicca-related Internet newsgroups. It appears that
everybody has a license to criticize and complain, but few have a
license to make a positive contribution.

As to responding negatively to ad hominem (i.e., personal) attacks,
well ... I am a silly MENSA member who conserves energy for his
daily three mile jog (carrying a pair of three pound handweights)
in his neighborhood's arboreal park.

Richard Ballard

Oct 12, 2004, 7:38:53 AM10/12/04
[...]

Burning Times'. "The Salem Witchcraft Trials In American History"
by David K. Fremon (ISBN 0-7660-1125-9) examines unemotionally
the politics and history of the Salem witch trials.]

[...]

silly) positing "if worsening economic conditions (with fewer

service jobs and poorer nutrition) plus senior citizenship (with
acute arthritis and/or osteoporosis?) might create additional
difficulties for 'w0men' (i.e., without men) -- difficulties

not solved by same sex partnerships". Most people are familiar

[...]

I gut know problems.

Hayden Craddolph

Oct 12, 2004, 3:58:37 PM10/12/04
This is where filmmakers in America (including you) will have the
chance to showcase their films!

Starting on October 30, 2004, Haydenfilms LLC will be traveling the
countryside creating buzz about our Online Festival. Featuring a
$10,000 Grand Prize, Haydenfilms.com Online Film Festival is open to
student and independent filmmakers alike. Each entrant will have the
chance to let their films shine…Online!

Anyone can participate in our film festival, either by submitting a
film, supporting a friend, or just watching the movies.

All members are able to view the finalist's films in the privacy of
their own home or office, vote on each film, write and read reviews,
and by entering the contest TURN THEIR TALENT INTO $10,000!

It's time to create and polish your best work, or remind your buddy
not to miss this opportunity.

Haydenfilms LLC is excited to invite you along to work with us on our
upcoming Director's Contest. Stay posted!!

http://www.haydenfilms.com

Richard Ballard

Oct 12, 2004, 11:02:32 PM10/12/04
Replying with off-topic junk messages to Internet newsgroup
messages that you disagree with is one chaotic method of
burying others' messages within Google.com -- a mild form
of censorship.

More below.

In article <22cc9ee2.04101...@posting.google.com>,
hay...@haydenfilms.com (Hayden Craddolph) writes:

<RB snipped URL>

Richard Ballard

Dec 1, 2004, 11:24:57 AM12/1/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts One, Two, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part One/Two/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

<*> IMO there is increasing tendency within all types of groups
(including Pagan groups) to want "ins" with Government. Having
an "in" with Government offers financial benefits [e.g., knowledge
of upcoming Sheriff's (unpaid) tax auctions of real estate and
other real property].

<snip>

<snip>

Apparently Christian governments tested and tried accused witches

as 'brides of satan' during 'The Burning Times'. [Ref: "Haxan:
Witchcraft Through The Ages", 1929 silent film directed by Benjamin
Christensen and narrated by William Burroughs (author of "The
Naked Lunch"). "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft"
by Denise Zimmermann and Katherine A. Gleason discusses 'The
Burning Times'. "The Salem Witchcraft Trials In American History"
by David K. Fremon (ISBN 0-7660-1125-9) examines unemotionally
the politics and history of the Salem witch trials.]

<*> Different Pagan Traditions define the term 'witch' differently.
The following excerpt is from "MAGICK In Theory And Practice"
by Aleister Crowley (ISBN 1-55521-766-4), a controversial text
that I discuss in my subsequent messages 'A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)':

<*>[Begin excerpt]
It is only the romantic mediaeval perversion of science that
represents young women as partaking in witchcraft, which is,
properly speaking, restricted to the use of such women as are no
longer women in the Magical sense of the word, because they are
no longer capable of corresponding to the formula of the male,
and are therefore neuter rather than feminine. It is for this
reason that their method has always been referred to the moon,
in that sense of the term in which she appears, not as the
feminine correlative of the sun, but as the burnt-out, dead,
airless satellite of earth.
[End excerpt]

<*> Crowley's witchcraft comments emphasize the Wiccan Crone
persona while dismissing the Wiccan Goddess's Mother and
Maiden personae.

Richard Ballard

Jan 11, 2005, 6:20:39 AM1/11/05
[...]

"Wouldn't you be happier somewhere else?". During the early 1970's,
counterculture enthusiasts might have used (a-hem) 'mind games' to
"incline someone's mind" ...

[...]

difficulties for 'w0men' (i.e., without men). Some difficulties
are not solved by same sex partnerships (e.g., heavy winter snow
shoveling to free the car from the suburban garage so that you
can purchase groceries).

[...]

insights into the austerity resulting from warfare. (As
evidenced by post-World War I Germany) Printing press dollars
(and credit) can not defer this austerity indefinitely. In
January 2005 The Federal Reserve Board increasingly discusses
raising the Prime Interest Rate (and the cost of credit) in order
to control monetary inflation.

Richard Ballard