Astrology/Psychology/Reality

Edmond Wollmann

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

The Horoscope is a Mandala. It is divided into polarities os masculine
and feminine, as well as the four temperament types found in the Kiersey
temperament sorter and Jung's four psychological functions in psychology.
These are related to the four Cardinal points, the elements and the
persona creation through belief, emotion, and thought.

According to Carl Jung each individual has a masculine and feminine side.
Masculine, positive or active being animus and feminine, negative or
passive being the anima. The successful integration of these aspects
within each individual allows for the defensive aspects of personality to
be virtually non- existent, and dis-ease all but eliminated.
Biologically, this concept corresponds to the active and passive
transport of nutrients and chemicals in a cell.

Jung took Astrology seriously and regarded it as fundamental, and
representative of his ideas with regard to the Mandala.

"Originally he regarded astrology as a function of
time...but must be understood as a "stream of energy filled with
qualities,"so that the time quality peculiar to that moment of a man's
birth also attaches to his character and possibly to his fate as well.
The old astrological stellar myths are expressions of these
intuitively grasped time qualities. They are archetypal images,
involuntary creations of the "knowing unconscious," which primitive
man projected upon the stars. Jung wrote in a letter in (June 1960):
'"We must bear in mind that we do not make projections, rather
they happen to us. This fact permits the conclusion that we originally
read our first physical, and particularly psychological, insights in the
stars. In other words, what is farthest is actually nearest. Somehow, as
the Gnostics surmised, we have "collected" ourselves from out of the
cosmos."'
The Mandala is almost always a circular shape (which symbolizes the soul
or whole self, that contains designs, and is often divided into four
parts. The horoscope, although a mathematical representation of celestial
positioning, is also a Mandala, and therefore requires an Art/Science
approach to delineation.
"Jung's conception of personality is complex...His observations
often dwelled on the multiple, contradictory forces in life: 'I see in
all that happens the play of opposites' (1963, p. 235). Yet he was also
one of the first to conceptualize a self that actively strives for
oneness and unity. Jung saw the self (the striving for wholeness) as an
archetype that is expressed in many ways. The expressions of the striving
for wholeness include the Mandala (a magic circle archetype) and various
religious and transcendental experiences. He devoted much of his life to
the study of these expressions in primitive societies, alchemy,
mythology, dreams, and symbols. To achieve unity and wholeness, the
individual must become increasingly aware of the wisdom available in his
or her personal and collective unconscious and must learn to live in
harmony with it..."
Mandala....Well, it is just one typical archetypal form. It is
what is called ultimo exquadra circulae, the square in the circle, or the
circle in the square. It is an age-old symbol that goes right back to the
pre-history of man. It is all over the Earth and it either expresses the
Deity or the self; and these two terms are psychologically very much
related, which doesn't mean that I believe that God is the self or that
the self is the God. I made the statement that there is a psychological
relation, and there is plenty of evidence for that." "It is, we should
say, the main archetype."
"Introduction to Personality" chapter 3 "Ego Psychology and Object
Relations"p 69, Walter Mischel, Columbia University, Harcourt-Brace,
1993.

Question from Dr. Evans;
Dr. Jung, there has been much discussion about how
certain experiences in the early years influence the formation of the
ego. For example, one of the most extreme views concerning such early
influences was advanced by Otto Rank. He spoke of the birth trauma and
suggested that the trauma of being born would not only leave a very
powerful impact on the developing ego, but would have a residual
influence throughout the life of the individual.
Dr. Jung;
I should say that it is very important for an ego that it is
born; this is highly traumatic, you know, when you fall out of heaven.

"Mythology is a pronouncing of a series of images that formulate
the life of archetypes."

"If somebody is clever enough to see what is going on in people's
minds, in their unconscious minds, he will be able to predict."
"Conversations with Carl Jung", Richard I. Evans, Van Nostrand, 1964.

Regarding Alfred Adler
"When people make very positive statements about themselves in our
presence, they make us look bad by comparison. Dismissing braggart's
exaggerated claims and assuming they are just trying to cover up their
inadequacies would seem to save us from feeling inferior relative to
them." "Personality Theories", Chapter 4, page 85, 1994, Allyn and
Bacon.

In regard to "hardiness and alienation" (Leak & Williams, 1989b).
Hardiness consisted of 3 factors: commitment, challenge and control.
"Commitment involves an active approach to coping with life's
challenges...because of a sense of courage and psychological tolerance"
(pg 370). "Challenge entails a perception that novel events and changing
circumstances offer an opportunity for development (pg 370).. (the
developmental aspects in the horoscope). Control "refers to a belief in
personal, internal control over the events in ones life" (370)..(the
belief in self empowerment and reality creation).

Adlerians (Aquarian oriented counselors) are more likely to view people
in terms of wishes, expectations, goals, convictions and mistaken
perceptions, not in terms of needs conflicts, drives and pleasure.
The primary question in relation to patients is "What purpose does the
symptom serve?" not "What caused the symptom?" The therapists interest is
forward looking not backward looking.

"The style of life is an original, psychological orientation that
contains the individual's relatively permanant LAW OF MOVEMENT (or Noel
Tyl's law of naturalness or my law of momentum flow), the direction taken
(the horoscopic vibrational frequency) by the person that originates in
his or her ability to exercise free choice in fully exploiting personal
capabilities and rescources (Adler 1933a). "Personality Theories",
Chapter 4, page 82, 1994, Allyn and Bacon.

Psychology, therefore is simply the recognition of the resulting behavior
of the identity's integration and developmental tension in the resolution
of the levels of psychic material of the self, and is reflected
synchronistically through the horoscope a basic archetypal mandala.
Synchronicity is correlation-not causation.
Astrology/psychology and physics are all one thing. Consciousness creates
matter and relects it through the mind/matter mirror of physicality.

Personality construct="This will be the tool that you consider your
personality or the person to be. The personality not being who or what
you are, but an artificial tool, so to speak, of the higher
consciousness, of the oversoul, that serves the purpose of being, I'll
say, the representitive symbol that the oversoul uses to interact with
physical reality, or interact as the idea of physical reality. It is the
diplomat or representitive of the soul in physical reality." "The New
Metaphysics" Bashar page 20, definitions, 1987.
--
Edmond H. Wollmann P.M.A.F.A.
© 1996 Astrological Consulting/Altair Publications