From the National Post Toronto's Org President

1 view

Kim P

Mar 3, 2008, 6:59:00 AM3/3/08
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=348459

The truth about Scientology
Yvette Shank, National Post
Published: Monday, March 03, 2008

Jonathan Kay's article on Scientology and its founder L. Ron Hubbard
("In fear of Xenu," Jan. 18.) certainly didn't give the picture of the
religion I have known for the past 40 years. From a very young age I
found myself asking many questions: Who am I? What am I? Where do I come
from? How can I help my friends and family? And I finally found what I
was looking for in Dianetics and Scientology.

When I discovered Scientology, I wanted to know all I could about it by
learning first hand. I found that the word "Scientology" itself is taken
from the Latin word scio, meaning "knowing in the fullest sense of the
word," and the Greek word logos, meaning "study of." Scientology can
therefore be described as "the study of wisdom" or "knowing how to know."

L. Ron Hubbard's book Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health is
actually a forerunner and substudy of Scientology. The book represents
major breakthroughs and unlocks the secrets of the mind -- I can assure
you that Dianetics provides a trip into previously unknown territory. Of
course, the book remains unpopular among those who profit from the
billions of dollars being pumped into brain "research" and "treatment."
But there is no question that when enough people have read, understood
and applied Dianetics, this monopoly will fall.

Dianetics and Scientology materials comprise the largest body of
information ever assembled on the mind, spirit and life. Through study,
you can find the hidden source of your worries, upsets and insecurity. I
certainly did. Studying Scientology has helped me and my family, and
when my friends have been thrown a loop (and sometimes they are mighty
big loops), I find I am able to help them. One thing I know is that all
of us, except for maybe a small percent of the population bent on
harming their fellows, live to help. I've been helping people for 40 years.

In studying Scientology, I have never been required to believe anything,
and I appreciate that. Mr. Hubbard states this in his writings on
personal integrity: "What is true for you is what you have observed
yourself and when you lose that you have lost everything . Nothing in
Dianetics and Scientology is true for you unless you have observed it
and it is true according to your observation. That is all."

In the end, the study of Scientology will lead you to find out your true
nature -- that you are indeed basically good, that you can regain your
intrinsic goodness and make life better for yourself and others. It
produces a whole new look at life.

I leave you with a quote from Mr. Hubbard that echoes what many of the
great religious leaders of the past have expressed, an idea that is
especially applicable now: "Happiness and strength endure only in the
absence of hate. To hate alone is the road to disaster. To love is the
road to strength. To love in spite of all is the secret of greatness.
And may very well be the greatest secret in this universe."

-Yvette Shank is president of the Church of Scientology of Toronto.

Close

swat2p...@hotmail.com

Mar 3, 2008, 7:04:01 AM3/3/08

Ya, sure LRH!!! I am posting a new video that I think us older wiser
ones might ponder. Wonder if it is Scientology propaganda or some half
truth. Either way it does not matter because the shot was heard around
the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUGPsom13E

The Badger

Mar 3, 2008, 5:32:42 PM3/3/08

Most misleading passage of this Op-ed: "I leave you with a quote from
Mr. Hubbard"

Why?

Because virtually the entire piece is a quote from Hubbard - at best a
paraphrasing.

Gregg Hagglund

Mar 4, 2008, 12:44:44 AM3/4/08
Comment submitted:

The PR piece posted by Yette Shank is just that, puff piece.

The plain and simple truth is Corporate Scientology in Ontario is not
a recognised denomination as they did not receive Federal Charity
Status as a Religious Charity.
One would ask why this well heeled Corporation did not easily acquire
that status.
The answer is not simple and actually requires hundreds of pages of
cited text from the Corporations own well hidden and disguised
directives and polices.
However briefly it is approximately thus:
First: Corporate Scientology is a for profit organization, paying
bonuses to its intensively motivated sales people, called FSMs, in
order to sell its courses and products. Its own organisation chart
speaks of the one of the purposes of its Organisations is to have
satisfied *customers* and to make money, make more money and make
others work so as to make more money.
Second: Corporate Scientology has no charitable purpose. Scientology
adheres to its founders dictates and teaches its members that
rewarding the poor, called 'downstat' is not to be done. Hubbard
actually taught his followers that he admired the mass drownings of
lepers and beggars in South America. It cleaned up the streets. (Not
one child in Darfur has ever received one drop of water funded in any
manner by the ever shrinking but constantly expanding Corporation of
Scientology.)
Third: Despite protests of Corporate Scientology its founder began
Scientology as a business and only employed the "religious angle" (his
words) in order to escape laws preventing false advertising,
practicing medicine without a licence and unfair business practices.
Fourth. And this deeply concerned CSIS: Corporate Scientology still
maintains its Department 20, the former Guardians Office, the
disgraced Snow White devision, under a new name of: The Office of
Special Affairs (OSA). OSA, while openly acting as the PR arm of
Corporate Scientology is actually more involved in social, economic
and emotional terrorist projects meant to control Scientologists and
to attack any interior and especially exterior criticism. Corporate
Scientology regards any critic as an SP (Suppressive Person). Hubbard
laid out exactly how to deal with SPs in his Fair Game Policy. This
policy, which has never been canceled in regard to how the OSA is to
handle SPs, requires SPs, enemies, "to be lied to, tricked, and
destroyed". Further, SPs homes and abodes may be invaded by any
Scientologist without any punishment of them by the Corporation.
Your Readers should be reminded Corporate Scientology was convicted by
the courts for Breach of the Public Trust and fined heavily for its
direction of domestic espionage and theft.

There are more reasons, laid out in greater detail, which Yvette Shank
wishes she was privy to.

Any government, given access to Corporate Scientology inner workings,
teachings, proof of policies of abusive treatment towards its own
children, command abortions of female staff in several centres, its
violations of Scientology staff and members Human Rights, its
pronounced disdain for the poor, the mentally challenged and its
constant often vicious attacks on anyone critical of the Corporation
and its hidden anti democratic agenda, does not, for a moment
thereafter consider it either a religion or a charity.

I am a well known past critic of Scientology . I organised a "Third
Party Brief in Opposition to the Application for Charity Status by
the Ontario Corporation conducting Business as the "Church of
Scientology". The Brief was contributed to by academics, scholars,
former senior members of Scientology and the largest and most damaging
contributor L. Ron Hubbard himself. Hubbard constructed all of the
Corporations policies and teachings, especially the policies and
teachings Corporate Scientology considers secret or would normally be
unwilling to divulge to the authorities it is trying to manipulate. I
also led over 70 peaceful information pickets at the Yonge street
Branch of Corporate Scientology between the years of 1997 and 2003.
Members of the Toronto branch of Corporate Scientology, at the
direction of the OSA, applied the Fair Game Policy to me and my family
with such vigor a police investigation was conducted and charges
prepared. Their attempts to coerce my silence by using attacks
economic, social and emotional attacks on our family abruptly ceased
when OSA was made aware of those charges. Corporate Scientology even
removed its scandalous and libelous hate page about me from the
website they maintain to denigrate critics they hate.

The most succinct reply possible to any editorial or PR piece by any
representative of Corporate Scientology is as follows:

Scientology Management does not always tell the truth;
Scientology Management has condoned, conducted and been convicted of
illegal, unethical and immoral activities;
Some Scientology Practices are dangerous to participants health,
either physical or mental or both;
Scientology Management and L.R. Hubbard lied about Hubbards life
history and accomplishments;
Despite the pseudo-scientific claims of Hubbard no Scientology or
Dianetic process has *ever* been clinically *proven* to work as
claimed.
I have been circulating the above, in one form or another on the
Internet, unchallenged by Corporate Scientology, since 1999.

Were the above not true, then they would be defamations of Corporate
Scientology and we both know Co$ has the money and the lawyers to
force me to retract or cease to utter or print them.

But the above *are* true.
And the first four are enforced by *current* Co$ policies.

William G. Hagglund
Oakville Ontario.
"A cult is a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive
devotionor dedication to some person, idea or thing and employing
unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control (e.g.
isolation fromformer friends and family, debilitation, use of special
methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group
pressures,information management, suspension of individuality or
critical judgment, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear
of [consequences of] leaving it, etc) designed to advance the goals of
the group's leaders to the actual or possible detriment of members,
their families, or the community."
(Louis West, 1985)

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 06:59:00 -0500, Kim P <yduzit...@cogeco.ca>