Tom Cruise named in lawsuit - FOX news report

banchukita

Jul 31, 2008, 9:01:03 PM7/31/08

Went up 11 hours ago, and I'm just now hearing about it?!

-maggie, human being

John Dorsay

Jul 31, 2008, 9:06:16 PM7/31/08
banchukita wrote:

> Went up 11 hours ago, and I'm just now hearing about it?!

http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/200807-peterletterese-florida.html

John

banchukita

Jul 31, 2008, 10:04:54 PM7/31/08
> http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/200807-peterletterese-florida...
>
> John

I love that this is on Ray's page, because he has done so much work
that will already be available and valuable to the forensic
accountants. He's saved so much of their time already.

-maggie, human being

jerald

Jul 31, 2008, 10:08:01 PM7/31/08

Does this mean someone is going to get to depose Cruise? And DM?

jerald

Hartley Patterson

Jul 31, 2008, 10:33:04 PM7/31/08
banch...@yahoo.com:

> Went up 11 hours ago, and I'm just now hearing about it?!

It's a story with easy keywords - lawsuit, Cruise, scientology - and says
things that won't annoy anyone but will catch their interest. If there
aren't enough of these on any particular day, the trash media make them
up.

--
Hartley Patterson
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

henri

Jul 31, 2008, 11:28:02 PM7/31/08

>> -maggie, human being

Nope, it's likely to be dismissed by the court before any defendant
even responds, according to yesterday's ruling:

http://buttersquash.net/archives/letterese-rico-order.pdf

This orders Letterese to comply with Local Rule 12.1 and gives him
until August 15, 2008 to do so.

http://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/localrules/localrules.pdf

Local Rule 12.1 is a particularly stringent filter for civil RICO
claims, requiring very particular and specific descriptions of the
enterprises, actual profits made, cost to the plaintiff, and other
aspects of the alleged racketeering enterprise. Google is engaging in
racketeering, and somehow acquiring money from Letterese or some other
source? I think not.

The case statement this rule requires is a document that would take an
expert lawyer a considerable amount of time to prepare, and requires
great particularity. Letterese's complaint, however, is a rambling,
incoherent morass of vague complaints that fail even to state a
recognizable claim.

In any case, Letterese has already litigated and lost many of these
claims, and perhaps even settled some others.

I had predicted earlier that the case would be dismissed pursuant to
Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6), 8(a), and/or res judicata.
Given the existence of Local Rule 12.1, though, it looks like 12.1 is
going to do the honors.

I doubt Scientology will even have to respond to this suit.

Happy Smurf

Aug 1, 2008, 4:00:04 AM8/1/08
On Jul 31, 8:28 pm, henri <he...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:08:01 -0700 (PDT), jerald

I think you're right.

Hamilton Burger

Aug 1, 2008, 8:16:06 AM8/1/08

Three "Filing 1" *attachments* to the Letterese et al v. Church of
Scientology International, Inc. et al that I couldn't find on Ray's
site/page links with description not to say it isn't there in the
(links) text body:
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/0:2008cv61109/318428/1/
snip>
Letterese et al v. Church of Scientology International, Inc. et al
Court Florida Southern District Court

Judge William J. Zloch

Cases filed in the Florida Southern District Court before William J.
Zloch:
http://dockets.justia.com/browse/state-florida/court-flsdce/judge-Zloch/
[June 16, 2008 - July 30, 2008 (front page)]

Lawsuit Type: Racketeer/Corrupt Organization
Filing: 1
Filed: July 15, 2008

Document Description
COMPLAINT against all defendants; Filing fee $ 350. Receipt#: 543677,
filed by Peter Letterese, Creative Desperation, Inc.. (Attachments: # 1
Complaint continued & Exhibits, # 2 Exhibit continued, # 3 Exhibit
continued & Cover Sheet)(lh)"

Documents in this Filing

* Filing 1 - Main Document

snip>

* Attachment 3
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/0:2008cv61109/318428/1/3.html

* Attachment 2
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/0:2008cv61109/318428/1/2.html
Cryptic pdf text without a full contextual pointer in reference:

full text (attachment 2) pdf>

21. Please let me know the best way to contact you by, address, phone,
fax, office, cell, and e-mail address.

22. Do you know any other dentists I can speak with that have had
dealings with Mr. Letterese? Let me know if I should contact them with
or without reference to you."

Question: "Who" is asking?

* Attachment 1
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/0:2008cv61109/318428/1/1.html

Hamilton Burger
[written into the script to never win a case]

Perry:
"Your honor, I enter the courtroom unannounced as Amicus curiae for the
defense."

Judge:
"Who the hell do you think you are barging in here like this
disregarding court protocols without even an Amicus brief sent my way
for considered entry? Perry Mason? Now get the hell out of here or I'll
have the bailiff throw you and your entire practice out of my
courtroom(s) for good!"

Perry:
"I'm the real Perry Mason, your honor."

Judge:
"Well then, go right ahead with whatever you have for us today as a TV
courtroom speech, Mr. Mason. Protocols and Standards don't apply when it
comes to Perry Mason making an entry because I'm just an extra on your
TV show anyway who tries to pass for a Judge listening to your speeches,
appearing like Rodin's "The Thnker" set in fist-to-mouth stone, footnote
written into the script by an alcoholic screen writer, who wouldn't know
legal proceedings if his bottles of scotch were at hooch-or-not stake.
With your identity now known to the court let's start again with your
entry line."

Perry:
"Your honor, I enter the courtroom unannounced as Amicus curiae for the
defense."

Judge:
"Proceed Mr. Mason."

//