[PROJECT] Silenced

Joel J. Hanes

May 26, 2001, 1:29:03 PM5/26/01

I'd like to start a compilation/summary of the people who
have been silenced by Scientology, either by accepting a
settlement that includes a gag clause, or by being
"shuddered into silence".

For each of these, I'd like to build a one-or-two paragraph
summary of their story.

Please post additions or corrections to the following:

Dennis Erlich (the inFormer)

Erlich was once Scientology's Chief Cramming Officer, selected
for that post by L. Ron Hubbard himself; that is, he was
Scientology's official authority on clearing "technology".
Left Scientology in 19xx [ why ? ]
Founded inFormer Ministries 19xx, and began to reveal the
lies and abuse of Scientology in a newsletter, "The inFormer".
Began posting to alt.religion.scientology in 19xx
In return, Scientology viciously harassed Erlich for years:
they slandered him on the Web and in print,
destroyed his career by sending alarming lies to his employers,
his wife Rosa, still a loyal Scientologist,
separated him from his daughters, accused him of abusing them,
and repeatedly dragged him needlessly into court over child-support.
The harassment culminated when Scientology lawyers, alleging
copyright violations in Erlich's postings to a.r.s,
obtained an _ex_parte_ writ of seizure and on this pretext conducted
an all-day raid of Erlich's residence, in which they ransacked
his home and took his computer and many of his personal belongings.
This outrage won Erlich support from EFF and _pro_bono_
representation by Morrison and Foerster, a prominent San Francisco
law firm, and his legal position was strong. However, incessant
harassment, separation from his daughters, and poverty finally
wore Ehlich down, and in 19xx he accepted a settlement, rumored
to be over $4 million, and quit speaking out against the cult.

David and Julie Mayo

Vicki Aznaran

Julie Christoffersen-Titchebourne

Nan McLean

Andre Tabayoyon?

---
Joel Hanes SP4
Houseman Scholar University of Ediacara

arnie lerma

May 26, 2001, 1:43:18 PM5/26/01
On Sat, 26 May 2001 17:29:03 GMT, Joel J. Hanes <joe...@home.com>
wrote:

Add:

Homer Shomer ex-CO and MAA ASHO in early 70's
- took $300-600,000 from Flynn lawsuit
and won't reply to email...

Enid Vein - agreed to never mention scientology killing her cat
after trade secret / copyright lawsuit for NOTS packs 1994-5

Jim Bostrum ? - sued and eventually driven to suicide by a Copyright
raid and lawsuit... predates me and erlich

thats just off top of my head

more as I recall them

arnie lerma
http://www.lermanet.com/zinger.htm

I'd prefer to die speaking my mind than live fearing to speak.
The only thing that always works in scientology are its lawyers
The internet is the liberty tree of the 90's
http://www.lermanet.com - mentioned 4 January 2000 in
The Washington Post's - 'Reliable Source' column re "Scientologist with no HEAD"

arnie lerma

May 26, 2001, 1:54:11 PM5/26/01

Pat Broeker - lost the war for control of the empire with Miscavige
was paid off... may be being threatened with sicslosure of payoff to
IRS for continued silence

Bill and Barbara Zizic - the Dentists in chicago that Mark Bunker
was working with...

Brian Haney - a ' non gag agreement' Ive seen these they are 40 pages
long.... damn I wish id kept a copy...from settlement talks in RTC vs
lerma / Factnet et al might have one here somewhere
from details Ive heard his agreement makes him a co-conspiirator as
co$'s agent for procuring silence.

Number6

May 26, 2001, 7:17:57 PM5/26/01
wrote:

>I'd like to start a compilation/summary of the people who
>have been silenced by Scientology, either by accepting a
>settlement that includes a gag clause, or by being
>"shuddered into silence".
>
>For each of these, I'd like to build a one-or-two paragraph
>summary of their story.
>
>Please post additions or corrections to the following:

Richard Jalbert (rich...@sympatico.ca)
1989-1994
Class IV auditor, HPCSC(temp), Purif IC, QualSec.
To get a repayment (reimbursement of unspent money still in account)
signed a non-disclosure agreement covering the time I was in.
Curiously, everything interesting happened *after* I left so...
I had signed as staff at the Montreal Org (CANADA) but not knowing at
the time of a big "out-qual" (missing qualification) that shold have
prevented the signing itself.
Was routed off in 1994 by words from the top, by Guillaume Lesevre.

I still think I learned a lot while in and that is why I did not ask
for a full refund at the time.

If they even flap their meat at me, I will ask for a full refund.

I wonder if the non-disclosure agreement is legal in CANADA...

mimus

May 26, 2001, 7:38:15 PM5/26/01
Joel J. Hanes <joe...@home.com> wrote:

Lisa McPherson

--
tinmi...@hotmail.com

I saw
many people
reduced to
incoherent babbling,
stripping off clothes,
crawling around on the ground,
banging heads, limbs and other body parts
against furniture and walls,
barking,
losing all sense of one's identity
and intense and persistent suicidal ideation.

--Declaration of Andre Tabayoyon

I'm an OT.--Lisa McPherson

If you imagine 40-50 Scientologists
posting on the Internet every few days,
we'll just run the SP's right off the system.
It will be quite simple, actually.

--Elaine Siegel, OSA INT (1996)

Case 5/BTLA/SP1/BAD

M. C. DiPietra

May 27, 2001, 8:07:21 AM5/27/01
in article 3b103e3f...@news.zoomnet.net, mimus at
tinmi...@hotmail.com mused on 5/26/01 7:38 PM:

Noah Lottick

Susan Meisner

Everyone else on Mikey Gormez' deaths page...

What happened to Bob Penny?

Didn't Gabe Cazares have some kind of agreement eventually?

Gerry Armstrong - they're trying to *enforce* an illegal gag order on him
but Gerry has WogPowerz now.

What about Wollersheim?

I can hear some lawyer now explaining about freedom-of-speech crushing
orders to a judge...
"We meant *gag* in the sense of *throwing up.* We didn't want anyone
to *become nauseous and throw up*....No, wait. We didn't want anyone to
*make a joke*, that's it, joking and degrading are against our religion. You
know, a gag is a joke. RIght? We never tied something around their mouths.
What kind of a church do you think we are? Ahem."

FREE KEITH HENSON http://freehenson.da.ru
M.C.DiPietra <mdip...@earthlink.net>, SP5, KoX
http://mp3.com/MaggieCouncil http://www.cafepress.com/council
"Hell, if you understood everything I say, you'd be me!" -Miles Davis

Joel J. Hanes

May 27, 2001, 12:31:46 PM5/27/01

ale...@nospam.bellatlantic.net (arnie lerma) writes:

> Homer Shomer ex-CO and MAA ASHO in early 70's
> - took $300-600,000 from Flynn lawsuit
> and won't reply to email...
>
> Enid Vein - agreed to never mention scientology killing her cat
> after trade secret / copyright lawsuit for NOTS packs 1994-5
>
> Jim Bostrum ? - sued and eventually driven to suicide by a Copyright
> raid and lawsuit... predates me and erlich
>

> Pat Broeker - lost the war for control of the empire with Miscavige

> was paid off... may be being threatened with disclosure of payoff to
> IRS [in return] for continued silence

> Bill and Barbara Zizic - the Dentists in chicago that Mark Bunker
> was working with...
>
> Brian Haney - a ' non gag agreement' Ive seen these they are 40 pages
> long.... damn I wish id kept a copy...from settlement talks in RTC vs
> lerma / Factnet et al might have one here somewhere

> from details I've heard his agreement makes him a co-conspiirator as

> co$'s agent for procuring silence.

Thanks arnie. Shomer is exactly the kind of story I had in mind.

Didn't Enid Vien post here for a while?
Does she _really_ have a gag order that only prohibits
her from taking about her cat?
Suppressive minds want more details ...

I'll look into Bostrum, but for now I'm mainly interested in
people who are alive and could tell their stories, except
for a gag order -- or for fear of retribution.

[ for example, a whole _group_ of people I'm interested in
are the original plaintiffs in the Spanish litigation --
all but one of them have apparently settled,
and I don't even know their names. yet. ]

I've looked for the Broeker story before, and have found
astoundingly little. IMHO this is one of the really
intriguing mysteries about Scientology ....

Zizics -- that's interesting, 'cause Mark Bunker should
have notes or video of their story. _He_ at least hasn't
been gagged -- wonder if he'll share.

Haney - huh, I don't even know who Brian Haney might be.
Google here I come ...

rich...@sympatico.ca (Number6) writes:

> Richard Jalbert [himself]

Cool! Number 6, we haven't seen you around here for too long.

But for the purposes of this project,
I'm less interested in the numerous ex-Scientologists
who signed the standard pro-forma gag order in the proces of
routing out, than in those who started to talk after they left,
and who were subsequently harassed or sued into silence.

Nevertheless, if you can tell any stories at all, I'll be
interested.

tinmi...@hotmail.com (mimus) writes:

> Lisa McPherson

Well, she's silenced all right, and I shudder at the manner
of her death, but I can't really state with any certainty
that FLAG killed her _in_order_to_silence_her_, and that's
what this project is about: people that Scientology has
_deliberately_ silenced.

The deaths-in-scientology research is already being done by
people far more dedicated and Web-savvy than I, and I don't
see that I have anything to add.

So Maggie's suggestions of

> Noah Lottick
>
> Susan Meister

> Everyone else on Mikey Gormez' deaths page...

are simililarly appreciated, but not what I'm
looking for.

However,

"M. C. DiPietra" <mdip...@earthlink.net> also writes:

> What happened to Bob Penny?
>
> Didn't Gabe Cazares have some kind of agreement eventually?
>
> Gerry Armstrong - they're trying to *enforce* an illegal gag order on him
> but Gerry has WogPowerz now.
>
> What about Wollersheim?

Bob Penny - I thought he was dying of MS, and that his health,
rather than litigation or harassment, was why he
stopped speaking out. I'll check it out, though.

Cazares - this is just the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Anyone know details they can share? Leads I can follow?

Gerry - we can hardly call Gerry silenced, can we?
There's a great story there, but Gerry can tell it.
And does so.

Wollersheim - I'm still getting irregular FACTNet newsletters,
and it seems like his litigation is still going forward,
albeit more quietly. I'd be surprised to learn that
he has accepted a settlement with a gag clause.
Well, maybe not *that* surpised ...

I see I should have explained more clearly.

The idea for this grew out of my investigations into the
Nan McLean stuff, and into the case in Spain ... and it
struck me that Scientology has instigated many thousands
of civil suits over the years, and that in many of the
high-profile ones, like Erlich, McLean, etc. the eventual
settlement includes a gag clause, and a voice goes silent.

And so I'd like to capture whatever can be known
about those stories.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Keep 'em coming!

---
Joel Hanes SP4
Houseman Scholar University of Ediacara

"Hubbard was Xenu.
I mean, think about it.
Who else enslaves people by implanting them with false memories?"

Phobos <phoboso...@my-deja.com>

Rev Fredric L. Rice

May 27, 2001, 8:39:11 PM5/27/01
Joel J. Hanes <joe...@home.com> wrote:

>I'd like to start a compilation/summary of the people who
>have been silenced by Scientology, either by accepting a
>settlement that includes a gag clause, or by being
>"shuddered into silence".

>Dennis Erlich (the inFormer)

>David and Julie Mayo
>Vicki Aznaran
>Julie Christoffersen-Titchebourne
>Nan McLean
>Andre Tabayoyon?

None of these people have been silenced. You can still write to them
or contact them for interviews.

---
Send information concerning incidents of racketeering and
terrorism by the Scientology cult to the Domestic Terrorism
Task Force at nor...@fbi.gov http://www.skeptictank.org/
PGP Key: http://www.skeptictank.org/frice.pgp

Joel J. Hanes

May 28, 2001, 2:48:33 AM5/28/01

fr...@SPAMNOTskeptictank.org (Rev Fredric L. Rice) wrote:

> None of these people have been silenced. You can still write
> to them or contact them for interviews.

<Thoughtful Hum, such as one makes while Thinking>

Oh. I have been a Bear of Little Brain --
a Foolish and Deluded Bear.

None of these people have signed settlements
like I conceive Gerry Armstrong's to be --
agreement to drop all suits on Scientology's side,
with some money, in exchange for agreement not
to discuss Scientology in some list of places
times and media?

I had inferred from a picket report that Nan Mclean,
for one, has agreed not to appear on TV
and speak about the cult. I guess I have to go back
and read the papers ...

And Vicki Aznaran -- she repudiated her earlier
depositions. But she didn't accept a gag agreement?

And .. and ..

*sigh*

---

Joel Hanes SP4

"USENET is a wonderful mechanism for making a fool of yourself
in front of a very large audience."
Lars Poulsen

"Come, let us retract the foreskin of misconception
and apply the wire brush of enlightenment." --Geoff Miller