Boston Globe story on Earle Cooley & Scientology & Boston University

Ron Newman

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Today's Boston Globe has a column by Alex Beam about Boston University
board chairman Earle Cooley and Scientology:

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/259/Boston_U__s_Scientology_connec
tion.shtml

Boston U.'s Scientology connection

By Alex Beam, Globe Staff, 09/16/98

Boston University has the faculty, staff, and financial resources to
become one of the nation's great research institutions. One obstacle
in that path has always been the unpredictable behavior of John
Silber, a master builder whose norms of academic freedom are not
universally accepted. It is also hard to take seriously a university
where the president, Jon Westling, lacks the basic teaching credential
- a doctoral degree - required of assistant professors nationwide.

It is not widely known that the man to whom both Silber and Westling
answer is Boston lawyer Earle Cooley, chairman of the BU board of
trustees and chairman of the board's executive committee. For over a
decade, Cooley has zealously defended the interests of the Church of
Scientology, which a 1991 Time magazine cover story called ''a hugely
profitable global racket that survives by intimidating members and
critics in a Mafia-like manner.''

Cooley, a BU alumnus who loves BU and has devoted his time, money, and
legal skills to the university, says - and Silber agrees - that his
alliance with Scientology has never colored his work for what was once
one of America's great Methodist institutions. But whenever Cooley and
I discussed the excesses committed by the church - the harassment of a
journalist, for instance - he said he had no knowledge of illegal
activities.

I contend that Cooley is more than ''just'' a lawyer for Scientology.
I say he is deeply allied with one of the great anti-intellectual
movements of our time, and his activities are wildly incompatible with
his status as a top official of a major American university.

[For the rest, please go to the Boston Globe site and read it online.
The URL is

]

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

Just Wog

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

Here is the URL with no wordwrap applied. Hope this works for you.

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/259/Boston_U__s_Scientology_connection.shtml

-----------------------------
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:21:52 -0400, rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman)
wrote:

>http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/259/Boston_U__s_Scientology_connec
>tion.shtml

Feadog

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Ron Newman ...

> Today's Boston Globe has a column by Alex Beam about Boston University
> board chairman Earle Cooley and Scientology:
>http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/259/
>Boston_U__s_Scientology_connection.shtml

I love the picture of farmer Xenu in the upper left corner of the page. :-)

Feadog
--
Critical Scientology Links:
http://www.xenu.net/, http://www.lisamcpherson.org

Martin O'Brien

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
wrote:

>Today's Boston Globe has a column by Alex Beam about Boston University

>board chairman Earle Cooley and Scientology:

And the best part is the quote from John Sibler:

Asked for his own views on Scientology, Silber said, ''It's a very
successful for-profit business. I don't believe it's a religion.''

woohoo!

Martin O'B

WESFAGER

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

When I tried to reply to Beam's email
address, a %20 was inserted in front of his address (eg. instead of beam it
made %20beam which is invalid) . If u reply, check to make sure address is
not corrupted. I'm using AOL.
Wes Fager

JimDBB

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

>Subject: Re: Boston Globe story on Earle Cooley & Scientology & Boston
>University
>From: mar...@tiac.net (Martin

>>Today's Boston Globe has a column by Alex Beam about Boston University
>>board chairman Earle Cooley and Scientology:

snipped:

> But whenever Cooley and
>> I discussed the excesses committed by the church - the harassment of a
>> journalist, for instance - he said he had no knowledge of illegal
>> activities.

> I contend that Cooley is more than ''just'' a lawyer for Scientology.
>> I say he is deeply allied with one of the great anti-intellectual
>> movements of our time, and his activities are wildly incompatible with
>> his status as a top official of a major American university.

Hooray for Alex Beam and theBoston Globe. It really is inconceivable that the
lying scientologist and thug lawyer for this criminal cult is still on the
Board of Boston U. What is the matter with the faculty and student body
there?

JimDBB

Arbe

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <19980916235028...@ng63.aol.com>, jim...@aol.com
(JimDBB) wrote:

<+>Subject: Re: Boston Globe story on Earle Cooley & Scientology & Boston
<+>University
<+>From: mar...@tiac.net (Martin
<+
<+>>Today's Boston Globe has a column by Alex Beam about Boston University
<+>>board chairman Earle Cooley and Scientology:
<+
<+snipped:
<+
<+> But whenever Cooley and
<+>> I discussed the excesses committed by the church - the harassment of a
<+>> journalist, for instance - he said he had no knowledge of illegal
<+>> activities.
<+
<+> I contend that Cooley is more than ''just'' a lawyer for Scientology.
<+>> I say he is deeply allied with one of the great anti-intellectual
<+>> movements of our time, and his activities are wildly incompatible with
<+>> his status as a top official of a major American university.
<+>>
<+
<+Hooray for Alex Beam and theBoston Globe. It really is inconceivable that the
<+lying scientologist and thug lawyer for this criminal cult is still on the
<+Board of Boston U. What is the matter with the faculty and student body
<+there?
<+
<+JimDBB
<+

***
AFIK-- The faculty and the students don't have a vote about who is on
the board. The only people that can remove Mr Cooley are probably the "
good ole boys " of Boston.. And Boston is the home of various branches
of very old-very powerful, very corrupt "organizations" . -- Look up the
history of a local politican named ( if I remember correctly ) Curley --
for just a peek into the organizations I have referred to..
**

--
* ARBE -- ARSCC SP2 -- Remove ARBE from e-mail to respond
* Damages limited to what you paid me for my opinion