Today in Scientology -- September 5th

Scientology Today

Sep 5, 2009, 6:23:22 AM9/5/09
On September 5th in Scientology history
=======================================

Belgium charges Scientologists with extortion
September 5, 2007, Reuters, Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/belgium-charges-scientologists-with-extortion/2007/09/05/1188783277713.html

Belgian prosecutors today accused the Church of Scientology of
extortion, fraud and other crimes and sought to bring it and key
members to trial.

Federal prosecutors said they were charging the church in Belgium, its
European office in Brussels and 12 members with offences including the
illegal practice of medicine and breaches of commercial practices.

Prosecutors were also considering whether the church should be
considered a criminal organisation after an investigation prompted by
complaints 10 years ago.

Tags: Belgium, European Court of Human Rights, Extortion, Fraud

=======================================

Belgium: Scientology Faces Criminal Charges
September 5, 2007, AP, New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/world/europe/05briefs-scientology.html?_r=2

A Belgian prosecutor recommended that the Los Angeles-based Church of
Scientology stand trial on charges of fraud and extortion, after a
10-year investigation.

Tags: Belgium

=======================================

Museum for Scientology founder may open in Arcadia
September 5, 2007, Connie Cone Sexton, Arizona Republic
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0905phx-scientology0905.html

A Phoenix home may be turned into a museum to honor the work of the
Church of Scientology and its founder L. Ron Hubbard, who lived in the
Valley in the early 1950s.

The house, near 44th Street and Camelback, has been restored and is now
open for tours. But there is a proposal to turn it into a museum,
according to city officials. For that to happen, the home's zoning
would need to be changed.

=======================================

Scientologists charged in Belgium
September 5, 2007, Reuters, The Age
http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Scientologists-charged-in-Belgium/2007/09/05/1188783270166.html

Federal prosecutors said they were charging the church in Belgium, its
European office in Brussels and 12 members with offences including the
illegal practice of medicine and breaches of commercial practices.

Prosecutors were also considering whether the church should be
considered a criminal organisation after an investigation prompted by
complaints 10 years ago.

Tags: Belgium, Legal

=======================================

Scientology branded a 'criminal organisation' and may face charges
September 5, 2007, Alastair Dalton, The Scotsman
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1413222007

THE Church of Scientology has been branded a criminal organisation by a
Belgian prosecutor, who has recommended it stands trial for fraud and
extortion.

The Los Angeles-based movement, whose members include the films stars
Tom Cruise and John Travolta, now faces charges following a ten-year
inquiry.

Jean-Claude Van Espen, an investigating prosecutor, said up to 12
people, who have not been named, should be charged.

Tags: Belgium, Germany, Russia

=======================================

Portland Woman Petitions Church of Scientology To Let Her Daughter Home For Vacation
September 5, 2008, Matt Davis, Blogtown, Portland Mercury
http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2008/09/05/portland-woman-petitions-churc

Portlander, and former Scientologist Susan Lentsch, is submitting an
open letter to the head of communications for the Church Of Scientology
asking why her daughter, Katherine, cannot be allowed home for a
vacation from the church's elite management organization.

Tags: Disconnection, Karin Pouw, Sea Org, Susan Lentsch

=======================================

Web version:
http://home.primus.ca/~ronsharp/FrontCiteTW.html#ScientologyToday

rhill

Sep 5, 2009, 8:56:18 AM9/5/09
Scientology Today wrote:
> On September 5th in Scientology history

> Museum for Scientology founder may open in Arcadia
> September 5, 2007, Connie Cone Sexton, Arizona Republic
> http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0905phx-scientology0905.html
>
> A Phoenix home may be turned into a museum to honor the work of the
> Church of Scientology and its founder L. Ron Hubbard, who lived in the
> Valley in the early 1950s.
>
> The house, near 44th Street and Camelback, has been restored and is now
> open for tours. But there is a proposal to turn it into a museum,
> according to city officials. For that to happen, the home's zoning would
> need to be changed.

You have this one? (no longer available online)

--
Ray.

Android Cat

Sep 5, 2009, 10:48:39 PM9/5/09

Connie Cone Sexton
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 5, 2007 02:23 PM

A Phoenix home may be turned into a museum to honor the work of the Church
of Scientology and its founder L. Ron Hubbard, who lived in the Valley in
the early 1950s.

The house, near 44th Street and Camelback, has been restored and is now open
for tours. But there is a proposal to turn it into a museum, according to
city officials. For that to happen, the home's zoning would need to be
changed.

Although no formal zoning application has been filed, the Phoenix Planning
Commission on Thursday is scheduled to discuss the zoning changes that would
be needed to allow the museum.

Now zoned for residential use, it would have to be rezoned for multi-family
use and then receive a special use permit to open the museum, according to
Alan Stephenson, a city planner.

The Planning Commission meeting is scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday in Room 10E
at Phoenix City Hall, 200 W. Washington St.

"Hubbard did some of his writing and philosophizing" while living out of the
house, 5501 N. 44th St., Stephenson said. According to a chronicle of his
life by the Church of Scientology, Hubbard lived in the home from 1952-55.

Marlyse Brock, the house's property manager, acknowledged that there is an
effort to create a museum. "We are working on that and we have to get with
the neighbors" to let them know of the proposal, she said.

rhill

Sep 6, 2009, 11:19:41 AM9/6/09

Thanks!

--