Buffalo News: New org on Main Street

Rod Keller

Dec 24, 2002, 8:19:18 AM12/24/02
Scientologists Plan Move To Main Street Building
Buffalo News - Financial Edition
December 22, 2002
http://beta.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsreal/Story.nsp?story_id=35406893&ID=newsreal&scategory=Internet&

A historic building in the 800 block of Main Street, which began its life
as a religious gathering place, is about to become the new home of
Buffalo's Church of Scientology.

The Scientologists will move into the former Buffalo Catholic Institute
building, at 836 Main St. on the southwest corner of Main and Virginia
streets, early next year when they move from their current location at 47
W. Huron St.

"We're very excited about the move. It's such a beautiful building, and it
has a great spiritual history," said the Rev. Mary Lou Reile, the Church
of Scientology's director of special affairs.

Built in 1893, the three-story structure, with two mezzanine levels, is
one of a handful of Beaux Arts-style buildings in Buffalo. The
ivory-colored exterior of the stone and brick building features intricate
medallion brackets, copper projecting cornices, egg and dart moldings, and
highly decorative friezes.

Its eye-catching features also include a row of two-story arched windows
that grace its Main Street facade.

It originally was constructed by the Buffalo Catholic Institute, a group
of young German-American Catholics, as a venue for religious research and
lectures.

The site also had been the location of the University at Buffalo medical
school.

By 1926, the institute deeded the 30,000-square-foot building to the
Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, but continued to use part of the building
through the late 1970s. The diocese then sold it to a private owner in
1983 when it consolidated its operation in the former Courier-Express
newspaper complex less than a block away at Main and Goodell streets.

The structure went on to house Roswell Park Cancer Institute offices for
more than a decade, and most recently was home to Biosight, which built
new quarters across the street two years ago. The building has been vacant
since Biosight relocated.

"It's generally in good shape, but we have some major renovations to do,"
Reile said, citing problems with the building's heating and air
conditioning.

The decision to purchase the turn-of-the-century building ends a more than
yearlong saga involving the church's current home on West Huron.

The city had been trying to gain control of the site for expansion of its
Owen P. Augspurger Parking Ramp, a pursuit that led to heated Common
Council debate, packed public hearings and even a federal court suit by
the church to prevent the city from acquiring the property through eminent
domain.

Earlier this month the city and church came to an agreement under which
the city will pay $740,000 for the West Huron site, a figure that will
cover the appraised value of the four-story building and relocation costs.

The church declined to reveal the purchase price of its new home, but real
estate sources put it at around $400,000.

"We've been on West Huron since 1979 and are very dedicated to staying
downtown," Reile said. "Part of our mission is to reduce urban blight, and
we will continue that on Main Street."

Tanya Durni

Dec 24, 2002, 8:44:46 AM12/24/02

This won't help the victims of the scientology scam.  It will help to mask the evil money making sham that lies within.  Interesting how CofS/RTC (appears from court documents that these two entities are intertwined) used the legal system to harass the City of Buffalo to squeak out a few more thousands of bucks...  That is what CofS is about money and power at the expense of human lives and well being.  All successful frauds have a shiny, sparkling cover.  To anyone stuck in that Buffalo nightmare, find me and you have a way out.

roger gonnet

Dec 24, 2002, 9:51:57 AM12/24/02

"Rod Keller" <rke...@unix01.voicenet.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: q9ZN9.692$gU.4...@news2.voicenet.com...

> Scientologists Plan Move To Main Street Building
> Buffalo News - Financial Edition
> December 22, 2002

http://beta.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsreal/Story.nsp?story_id=35406893&ID
=newsreal&scategory=Internet&

> A historic building in the 800 block of Main Street, which began its
life
> as a religious gathering place, is about to become the new home of
> Buffalo's Church of Scientology.
>
> The Scientologists will move into the former Buffalo Catholic
Institute
> building, at 836 Main St. on the southwest corner of Main and Virginia
> streets, early next year when they move from their current location at
47
> W. Huron St.
>
> "We're very excited about the move. It's such a beautiful building,
and it
> has a great spiritual history," said the Rev. Mary Lou Reile, the
Church
> of Scientology's director of special affairs.

Well, knowing that Hubbard said that There Was NO Christ on The Cross,
and that Religion Was An Implant [from psychiatrists], we can detect
some hypocrisy in what the scientology goons call "spiritual past".

roger

Android Cat

Dec 24, 2002, 10:52:46 AM12/24/02
"Rod Keller" <rke...@unix01.voicenet.com> wrote in message

> Scientologists Plan Move To Main Street Building
> Buffalo News - Financial Edition
> December 22, 2002

http://beta.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsreal/Story.nsp?story_id=35406893&ID=n
ewsreal&scategory=Internet&

> "We're very excited about the move. It's such a beautiful building, and

it
> has a great spiritual history," said the Rev. Mary Lou Reile, the Church
> of Scientology's director of special affairs.

Interesting that the DSA is making the statements rather than the DPR.

> Built in 1893, the three-story structure, with two mezzanine levels, is
> one of a handful of Beaux Arts-style buildings in Buffalo. The
> ivory-colored exterior of the stone and brick building features
intricate
> medallion brackets, copper projecting cornices, egg and dart moldings,
and
> highly decorative friezes.

Isn't that downsizing somewhat from their previous building? (4 story to
3 story anyway.)

> Its eye-catching features also include a row of two-story arched windows
> that grace its Main Street facade.
>
> It originally was constructed by the Buffalo Catholic Institute, a group
> of young German-American Catholics, as a venue for religious research
and
> lectures.
>
> The site also had been the location of the University at Buffalo medical
> school.

> "It's generally in good shape, but we have some major renovations to

do,"
> Reile said, citing problems with the building's heating and air
> conditioning.

Should be interesting. I hope they do a better job than the Toronto org's
elevators and windows.

> Earlier this month the city and church came to an agreement under which
> the city will pay $740,000 for the West Huron site, a figure that will
> cover the appraised value of the four-story building and relocation
costs.

Buffalo got hosed.

> The church declined to reveal the purchase price of its new home, but
real
> estate sources put it at around $400,000.
>
> "We've been on West Huron since 1979 and are very dedicated to staying
> downtown," Reile said. "Part of our mission is to reduce urban blight,
and
> we will continue that on Main Street."

"Reduce urban blight", uh-huh.

Ron of that ilk.

Skip Press

Dec 24, 2002, 11:33:26 AM12/24/02
In article <q9ZN9.692$gU.4...@news2.voicenet.com>,
Rod Keller <rke...@unix01.voicenet.com> wrote:

>Scientologists Plan Move To Main Street Building
>Buffalo News - Financial Edition
>December 22, 2002
>http://beta.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsreal/Story.nsp?story_id=35406893&ID=newsre
>al&scategory=Internet&
>
>A historic building in the 800 block of Main Street, which began its life
>as a religious gathering place, is about to become the new home of
>Buffalo's Church of Scientology.
>
>The Scientologists will move into the former Buffalo Catholic Institute
>building, at 836 Main St. on the southwest corner of Main and Virginia
>streets, early next year when they move from their current location at 47
>W. Huron St.
>
>"We're very excited about the move. It's such a beautiful building, and it
>has a great spiritual history," said the Rev. Mary Lou Reile, the Church
>of Scientology's director of special affairs.

HAD.

--

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

-- Abraham Lincoln

All the best,

Skip Press, the Duke of URL
The Sum of all Hollywood Fears at
http://home.earthlink.net/~skippress/

Ichimusai

Dec 24, 2002, 12:36:01 PM12/24/02
Tanya Durni <tdu...@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Rod Keller wrote:

May I ask kindly that you refrain from posting in HTML, or at least
use correct headers and post a copy in plain text for those of us who
are not using our web browsers to read news?

Thank you.

--
AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai AOL: Ichimusai1972 MSN: Ichimusai
IRC: Ichimusai#AmigaSWE@IRCnet URL: http://www.ichimusai.org/

Heffer

Dec 24, 2002, 1:13:59 PM12/24/02
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:19:18 GMT, Rod Keller
<rke...@unix01.voicenet.com> wrote:

>Scientologists Plan Move To Main Street Building
>Buffalo News - Financial Edition
>December 22, 2002
>http://beta.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsreal/Story.nsp?story_id=35406893&ID=newsreal&scategory=Internet&

>Built in 1893, the three-story structure, with two mezzanine levels, is
>one of a handful of Beaux Arts-style buildings in Buffalo. The
>ivory-colored exterior of the stone and brick building features intricate
>medallion brackets, copper projecting cornices, egg and dart moldings, and
>highly decorative friezes.

Bear in mind that Org premises usually comply with one
of Elrons little notes. That means split levels and
a few other things...

> Reile said. "Part of our mission is to reduce urban blight, and
> we will continue that on Main Street."

So they change urban blight into social blight.

---
Heffer, OSA Lackey, H-Group
#315905 on the Dorian List
Regurgitating Propagandist

hartley patterson

Dec 24, 2002, 5:06:46 PM12/24/02
Ichimusai:

> May I ask kindly that you refrain from posting in HTML, or at least
> use correct headers and post a copy in plain text for those of us who
> are not using our web browsers to read news?

Bill Gates Syndrome: the unshakeable belief that if you use a Microsoft
program, everyone else with a computer uses it too.

--
"I think of my beautiful city in flames"
A medieval spreadsheet, enturbulating entheta and

Ichimusai

Dec 24, 2002, 5:11:27 PM12/24/02
hartley patterson <hpt...@daisy.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Ichimusai:
> > May I ask kindly that you refrain from posting in HTML, or at least
> > use correct headers and post a copy in plain text for those of us who
> > are not using our web browsers to read news?
>
> Bill Gates Syndrome: the unshakeable belief that if you use a Microsoft
> program, everyone else with a computer uses it too.

It saddens me that people are so inconsiderate these days.

--
AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai AOL: Ichimusai1972 MSN: Ichimusai
IRC: Ichimusai#AmigaSWE@IRCnet URL: http://www.ichimusai.org/

It is not brain surgery, but we do mess with your head
from time to time!
-- http://www.aliceonair.com/

Fluffygirl

Dec 24, 2002, 7:33:18 PM12/24/02

"Android Cat" <androi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> > "We've been on West Huron since 1979 and are very dedicated to staying
> > downtown," Reile said. "Part of our mission is to reduce urban blight,
> and
> > we will continue that on Main Street."
>
> "Reduce urban blight", uh-huh.

Well, a lot of Orgs DO have graffiti paint-outs and trash gathering and do
various things for PR purposes.

Tanya Durni

Dec 24, 2002, 7:39:39 PM12/24/02
Ichimusai wrote:

It saddens me that people can be so misinformed these days... Like with your
name Ichimusai... who are you? Are you the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain?
Tell us who you are and why you are here and maybe someone will consider what
you have to say.