Scientology's system "hacker proof" (by RVY)

Robert Vaughn Young

Aug 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/27/97

(To be included in OSA US DR re RVY)

INCOMM was created to be the computer data base for Scientology. Foster
Thompkins was put in charge of the setup. It was to serve as a repository
for all LRH writings so they could be word searched. (That was "SIR" or
Source Information Retrieval). Routing forms were to go into the computer
base. Time machine programs were to run the programs, automatically
ordering the person to do the step. And there was email. (Financial recods
and other were to be added later, he said.)

But what Foster was especially proud of when INCOMM was being established
in early 1982 was the security to make it imposible for unauthorized
access.

Foster said there were basically three elements that INCOMM was to be
protected against. The first was internal personnel gaining unauthorized
access to files or mail.

The second was external hackers. For a long time this was to not be a
problem as there was no modem hookup. There was no way one could dial into
the INCOMM data base. But Foster knew it would come and various firewalls
had to be put into place to ensure that no hacker could gain entry. He
promised INCOMM would be "hacker proof." "The CIA will be easier to get
into than us," he told me. (Some initial off-site connections were made
via microwave and, he said, a double encryption process.)

The third was fascinating. INCOMM was located in the room where the old
Intelligence Bureau had been when it was raided in 1977. It was on the
ground (and slightly sub-ground) floor under the front of the Cedars
complex. There were no windows. Access was only through several specially
secured doors.

Knowing of the 1977 raid and to prevent it from happening again, there was
one person in charge of the entire system who sat at the back of this huge
room, behind locked doors and secured glass. Knowing that in the event of
a raid the power might be turned off, INCOMM had backup battery systems
and generators whose sole purpose was to keep the system on line long
enough for the systems operator to crash and trash it. The only entrance
was not only secured but had TV cameras so that, Foster figured, that even
with the highest speed of a raid, the systems operator had more than
enough time to crash/trash the system to prevent it from being
confiscated.

Apparently the first time a "crash/trash" was done was in 1985.
Scientology staff arrived one morning and found they had no computer
files. INCOMM said there was a "crash" but what happened was that a rumor
of an impending IRS raid had caused them to delete all files. There was no
raid and despite the pleas of many, the files were NOT restored.

They could have restored the files. Foster had initiated twice daily
backups of the entire system. These were to be taken off-site to a
confidential location by a secured courier, with only a few people knowing
that location.

All of this was why INCOMM prided itself on being uncrackable.

Robert Vaughn Young
wri...@eskimo.com

Future808

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

More stories about INCOMM, please. Though I've been in the main entrance
room and a course room, access is VERY limited, even my being in the CMO
was not enough to give me any info about INCOMM.

People I talked to wouldn't even tell me how big the space was, what type
of computers they used, etc.

Mr. Ex-CMO
"People who would aspire to transform the world should start by
transforming their own life and let it serve as an inspiration for
others. Hubbard wrote best about what he most needed to learn."
- Joe Harrington <joe...@worldnet.att.net>

Zed

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

wri...@eskimo.com (Robert Vaughn Young) wrote:

>(To be included in OSA US DR re RVY)

>INCOMM was created to be the computer data base for Scientology.
Foster
>Thompkins was put in charge of the setup. It was to serve as a
repository
>for all LRH writings so they could be word searched. (That was "SIR"
or
>Source Information Retrieval). Routing forms were to go into the
computer
>base. Time machine programs were to run the programs, automatically
>ordering the person to do the step. And there was email. (Financial
recods
>and other were to be added later, he said.)

Ah, computers! One of my favourite toys.....

>But what Foster was especially proud of when INCOMM was being
established
>in early 1982 was the security to make it imposible for unauthorized
>access.

I recall reading a remark once that "the only truly secure computer
system is one that's never turned on, locked in a titanium box and
buried several hundred feet underground. Even then, I wouldn't stake
my life on it." It's not a good idea for the Co$ to take that
"impossible" remark _too_ literally.

>Foster said there were basically three elements that INCOMM was to
be
>protected against. The first was internal personnel gaining
unauthorized
>access to files or mail.

How'd he manage that? Same way as for UNIX?

The biggest problem here is when someone gains _authorised_ access to
files and then uses them in an unauthorised way. If you've got a mole
with the required access permissions, you're basically hosed.

>The second was external hackers. For a long time this was to not be
>problem as there was no modem hookup. There was no way one could
dial into
>the INCOMM data base. But Foster knew it would come and various
firewalls
>had to be put into place to ensure that no hacker could gain entry.
He
>promised INCOMM would be "hacker proof." "The CIA will be easier to
get
>into than us," he told me. (Some initial off-site connections were
made
>via microwave and, he said, a double encryption process.)

Impressive, although "double encryption" is a new one on me. What's
that mean? It's encrypted twice?

>The third was fascinating. INCOMM was located in the room where the
old
>Intelligence Bureau had been when it was raided in 1977. It was on
the
>ground (and slightly sub-ground) floor under the front of the Cedars
>complex. There were no windows. Access was only through several
specially
>secured doors.

Foster knew what he was doing - from this amateur's viewpoint anyway.
Breaking into a computer system's a lot easier if you have physical
access to the machine.

>[..]

>Apparently the first time a "crash/trash" was done was in 1985.
>Scientology staff arrived one morning and found they had no computer
>files. INCOMM said there was a "crash" but what happened was that a
rumor
>of an impending IRS raid had caused them to delete all files. There
was no
>raid and despite the pleas of many, the files were NOT restored.
>
>They could have restored the files. Foster had initiated twice daily
>backups of the entire system. These were to be taken off-site to a
>confidential location by a secured courier, with only a few people
knowing
>that location.

And yet they didn't. Failing to restore a system when you have
backups seems VERY strange to me.

>All of this was why INCOMM prided itself on being uncrackable.

In early 1995, the Church of Scientology claimed that someone had
broken into a computer system and "stolen some files". They told
Interpol that "AB" had posted one of these files to the Internet
through the Penet anonymous remailer. Penet gave up the real e-mail
address of "AB" in preference to being forced to hand over the entire
list of anonymous posters. The document that was posted was a police
report describing the "Miss Bloodybutt" incident. The real e-mail
address of "AB" was (I think) t...@alumni.caltech.edu. The current
location of this person is unknown.

Was INCOMM the computer system that the Co$ claims was broken into?

Zed
Xenu Remailer for a.r.s.:http://www.magna.com.au/~zed/remailer.html
"I try to use only the strongest evidence in my criticism.
Part of that must include pointing out where other evidence
is lacking." - Rogue Agent

Tilman Hausherr

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

I wonder how scientology will handle its year 2000 problem, considering
the high turn-over rate in staff members.

Maybe a job for Mo Budlong?

http://burns.dejanews.com/cgi-bin/dnauthor-profile.tcl?author=mobu...@aol.com

Old Timer

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

At 03:35 PM 8/28/97 GMT, you wrote:

>On 27 Aug 1997 05:59:38 GMT, in alt.religion.scientology you wrote:
>
>(To be included in OSA US DR re RVY)
>
>INCOMM was created to be the computer data base for Scientology. Foster
>Thompkins was put in charge of the setup. It was to serve as a repository
>for all LRH writings so they could be word searched. (That was "SIR" or
>Source Information Retrieval). Routing forms were to go into the computer
>base. Time machine programs were to run the programs, automatically
>ordering the person to do the step. And there was email. (Financial recods
>and other were to be added later, he said.)

There was another aspect to INCOMM that was and has been held confidential
for a long period of time. INCOMM was set up by LRH in the early 1980's.
There are about 12 confidential communications concerning INCOMM from LRH
to Foster Tompkins and vice
versa. The 12 or so communications between LRH and Foster are referred to
as 'advices' and are rather like email. This project was held highly
confidential.

At first the INCOMM project I refer to was completely independent of the
RTC. The International Org Board in 1985 shows INCOMM parallel to RTC on
the first charts, and shortly later in a revision, it shows up below the
RTC and off-center without a direct line to the RTC.

The INCOMM computer program based on the e-mail messages of LRH to Foster
Tompkins (later, Ronnie Miscavige was included in the program) in which LRH
describes a planet CHUG that was computer controlled. INCOMM is about
implementing the CHUG concept. This was their 100% purpose. Within security
areas its purpose was clearly labelled 'space opera stuff'. LRH said that
in one of the confidential e-mail messages to Tompkins. There was a
special computer in B-area that contained nothing but those 12 messages.
One had to have an 'B' security clearance to read any of the advices/emails.

This computer was _off-limits_ even for the RTC missions that came into
INCOMM in '85. BTW, CHUG, and everything regarding this required a $500,000
bond.

It was several times mentioned that computerization would be paramount
for exporting the tech. This was a quite normal assumption and not
specifically secret.

Putting all the pieces together, it appeared that they were researching
the basics for a space org. Their mission goal was so confidential that
there was no possible clearance for it. Tompkins reported _only_ to LRH
until the official death of LRH early '86. As an aside, after LRH's death,
Dr. Chuck Prenner took over the INCOMM project from Foster Thompkins and
Ronnie Miscavige.

Space Org Projects: Spatia Lingua: Language Database and Learning Program

The project was to form a combined data base/language trainer/future
translator for _every possible_ language, whether currently existing or not.

Those that had studied the Pali dialect were recruited. Pali is not just
a Sanskrit dialect. It is (besides the alleged language of the Buddha) the
language that is, according to LRH, the closest to 'Spatia Lingua', the
language that supposedly is the official diplomatic language in this
sector. (As a side note, LRH also mentioned Pali in Battlefield Earth.)

Those involved in the project were to 'test' the language data base by
inputting 'German' and Pali'. The concept was that the data base would be
filled with expressions while the person was learning the very language.
This excludes any language for which native speakers already exist. The
other function of the program connected to that data base, was to generate
'tutorial's' for the language that is being entered, again while the
language is being entered (not just afterwards). This is quite an odd
concept, unless one is not dealing with a completely alien language.

>But what Foster was especially proud of when INCOMM was being established
>in early 1982 was the security to make it imposible for unauthorized
>access.
>

>Foster said there were basically three elements that INCOMM was to be
>protected against. The first was internal personnel gaining unauthorized
>access to files or mail.
>

>The second was external hackers. For a long time this was to not be a
>problem as there was no modem hookup. There was no way one could dial into
>the INCOMM data base. But Foster knew it would come and various firewalls
>had to be put into place to ensure that no hacker could gain entry. He
>promised INCOMM would be "hacker proof." "The CIA will be easier to get
>into than us," he told me. (Some initial off-site connections were made
>via microwave and, he said, a double encryption process.)
>

>The third was fascinating. INCOMM was located in the room where the old
>Intelligence Bureau had been when it was raided in 1977. It was on the
>ground (and slightly sub-ground) floor under the front of the Cedars
>complex. There were no windows. Access was only through several specially
>secured doors.

INCOMM's facilities were upstat. It had 5 security areas (A-E), seperated
with bullet and fire proof steel walls and doors.

On the status side, at that time, INCOMM was sharing the dining room with
RTC, a quite upstat room compared to the rest of the complex with teak wood
all over. Later on, RTC, was dining in a seperate compartment of the room,
seperated by a dividing door that was mostly half open.

>Knowing of the 1977 raid and to prevent it from happening again, there was
>one person in charge of the entire system who sat at the back of this huge
>room, behind locked doors and secured glass. Knowing that in the event of
>a raid the power might be turned off, INCOMM had backup battery systems
>and generators whose sole purpose was to keep the system on line long
>enough for the systems operator to crash and trash it. The only entrance
>was not only secured but had TV cameras so that, Foster figured, that even
>with the highest speed of a raid, the systems operator had more than
>enough time to crash/trash the system to prevent it from being
>confiscated.
>

>Apparently the first time a "crash/trash" was done was in 1985.
>Scientology staff arrived one morning and found they had no computer
>files. INCOMM said there was a "crash" but what happened was that a rumor
>of an impending IRS raid had caused them to delete all files. There was no
>raid and despite the pleas of many, the files were NOT restored.
>
>They could have restored the files. Foster had initiated twice daily
>backups of the entire system. These were to be taken off-site to a
>confidential location by a secured courier, with only a few people knowing
>that location.
>

>All of this was why INCOMM prided itself on being uncrackable.

The INCOMM project I am referring to -is- still uncrackable, as I don't
see any people talking about that aspect of it, or any that even knew about
it.

Old Timer

http://www.freezone.org
http://www.scientologie.de

>Robert Vaughn Young
>wri...@eskimo.com

Martin Hunt

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

In article <schaf.8...@cgl.ucsf.edu>,
sc...@cgl.ucsf.edu (Chris Schafmeister) wrote:

>(sigh)
>
>I bet that they don't have any.
>
>I bet they date everything in terms of
>"After Dianetics". That gives them another
>fifty years or so.

Not even close. AD 2000 on the Scientology calendar is the year
2950, giving them another millenium to get rid of the dreaded
psychs.

>til...@berlin.snafu.de (Tilman Hausherr) writes:
>
>>I wonder how scientology will handle its year 2000 problem, considering
>>the high turn-over rate in staff members.

Heh; INCOMM beware.

--
Cogito, ergo sum. Use "Xenu" in Subject: line of email.
.

roger gonnet

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

Martin Hunt wrote:

> In article <schaf.8...@cgl.ucsf.edu>,
> sc...@cgl.ucsf.edu (Chris Schafmeister) wrote:
>
> >(sigh)
> >
> >I bet that they don't have any.
> >
> >I bet they date everything in terms of
> >"After Dianetics". That gives them another
> >fifty years or so.
>
> Not even close. AD 2000 on the Scientology calendar is the year
> 2950, giving them another millenium to get rid of the dreaded
> psychs.
>
> >til...@berlin.snafu.de (Tilman Hausherr) writes:
> >
> >>I wonder how scientology will handle its year 2000 problem,
> considering
> >>the high turn-over rate in staff members.

Yah, but they still have some money to spend to PR tricks; perhaps
opening them a good PR company would make us rich? we could buy their
ridiculous copyrights and trade religious secrets and then attack
ourselves under copyright's abuses?

Roger

Martin Hunt

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

In article <340b9fb1....@nntp.netcom.com>,
see...@ix.netcom.com (Number 3) wrote:

> this is quite odd. all followups to this message, which are later
> dates, are marked as being 'no longer available' on netcom's
> server. this includes messages by Martin Hunt, Joe Harrington,
> Roger Gonnet, and Robert Vaughn Young.
>
> could those authors possibly repost their messages?

Sure; all I said was that I've webbed a few of rvy's posts (and
I intend to do more soon) in html at:

http://www.islandnet.com/~martinh/rvy/rvy.htm (index file)

ttyl,
martin. [p/m] 39% of today's posts were a waste of space...not to
mention time.

Number 3

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

On 28 Aug 1997 21:42:04 -0400, in message
<3.0.32.19970828...@king.cts.com>, Old Timer <oldt...@cts.com>
wrote:

>At 03:35 PM 8/28/97 GMT, you wrote:
>
>>On 27 Aug 1997 05:59:38 GMT, in alt.religion.scientology you wrote:
>>
>>(To be included in OSA US DR re RVY)

this is quite odd. all followups to this message, which are later
dates, are marked as being 'no longer available' on netcom's
server. this includes messages by Martin Hunt, Joe Harrington,
Roger Gonnet, and Robert Vaughn Young.

could those authors possibly repost their messages?

thanks.

-- see...@ix.netcom.com (Number 3)
Friends of Dennis Erlich Club (www.netcom.com/~seekon/friends.html)

William Barwell

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

In article <19970828023...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

Future808 <futu...@aol.com> wrote:
>More stories about INCOMM, please. Though I've been in the main entrance
>room and a course room, access is VERY limited, even my being in the CMO
>was not enough to give me any info about INCOMM.
>
>People I talked to wouldn't even tell me how big the space was, what type
>of computers they used, etc.

They did use VME some years ago. Don't know if they still do.
This old OS was once considered an advanced system.
It is still used in some industrial settings.
It would be more hackproof due to security through obscurity.

Pope Charles
SubGenius Pope Of Houston
Slack!