The Times (Gary, Indiana): Jim Beebe

Rod Keller

Jul 31, 2002, 6:45:05 AM7/31/02
Church of Scientology a front-runner in fight on drugs
The Times (Gary, Indiana)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002
http://www.thetimesonline.com/index.pl/articlenoad?id=25147791

The July 28 letter from Jim Beebe is the trademark of someone who lives
his life filled with hatred. He is an authority in hatred.

This same man worked for the now-defunct, anti-religious group called
the Cult Awareness Network until its bankruptcy filing in 1996. A
Seattle Christian was awarded a large sum of money as punitive damages
from CAN for the organization's participation in his kidnapping and
holding him against his will.

Beebe has now made a career of denigrating religious groups' positive
projects and activities that are designed to better society. It appears
he has a problem with kids living drug-free lives and helping their
friends and families to do the same. It seems he also has a problem with
Catholics, Muslims and Mormons to name but a few of the religions he
attacks.

The Church of Scientology has long been the front-runner in ridding our
planet of the scourge of drugs. I can state that 100% of Scientologists
are drug free. A Scientologist is a person who betters the conditions of
himself and others by using Scientology, a state Beebe could never achieve.

Narconon was founded in 1966 by an inmate in the Arizona State Prison
and based the program on the research and writings of L. Ron Hubbard.

An independent study in Sweden, where the government has supported
Narconon for more than 20 years, found that 84.6 percent of Narconon
graduates remained drug free.

Unfortunately for Beebe, the only things he can do are sit at his
computer and write critical and bigoted letters to editors or solicit
loans to pay his bills so he can spew his hatred on others. It is sad
that Beebe has to sink to that level to get attention from others.

Mary Anne Ahmad
Director of Public Affairs
Church of Scientology of Illinois
Chicago

roger gonnet

Jul 31, 2002, 8:00:25 AM7/31/02

"Rod Keller" <rke...@voicenet.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 3D47C05B...@voicenet.com...

> Church of Scientology a front-runner in fight on drugs
> The Times (Gary, Indiana)
> Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002
> http://www.thetimesonline.com/index.pl/articlenoad?id=25147791
>
> The July 28 letter from Jim Beebe is the trademark of someone who lives
> his life filled with hatred. He is an authority in hatred.
>
> This same man worked for the now-defunct, anti-religious group called
> the Cult Awareness Network until its bankruptcy filing in 1996. A
> Seattle Christian was awarded a large sum of money as punitive damages
> from CAN for the organization's participation in his kidnapping and
> holding him against his will.

[true enough, in USA everyone who says he believes is deemed religious, and those who say "we... on christ..." are supposed to be
christians.]

> Beebe has now made a career of denigrating religious groups' positive
> projects and activities that are designed to better society. It appears
> he has a problem with kids living drug-free lives and helping their
> friends and families to do the same. It seems he also has a problem with
> Catholics, Muslims and Mormons to name but a few of the religions he
> attacks.
>
> The Church of Scientology has long been the front-runner in ridding our
> planet of the scourge of drugs. I can state that 100% of Scientologists
> are drug free. A Scientologist is a person who betters the conditions of
> himself and others by using Scientology, a state Beebe could never achieve.
>
> Narconon was founded in 1966 by an inmate in the Arizona State Prison
> and based the program on the research and writings of L. Ron Hubbard.
>
> An independent study in Sweden, where the government has supported
> Narconon for more than 20 years, found that 84.6 percent of Narconon
> graduates remained drug free.

An independant what? 86,4 % narconon is 86,4 % of nothing and equals nothing.

> Unfortunately for Beebe, the only things he can do are sit at his
> computer and write critical and bigoted letters to editors or solicit
> loans to pay his bills so he can spew his hatred on others. It is sad
> that Beebe has to sink to that level to get attention from others.
>
> Mary Anne Ahmad

amhad? AMHA, she's a pure product of a half braiwashhed and half liar. Euh, complete liar.
Those who ignore what they are speaking of are the worse liars.

Todd A. Phipps

Jul 31, 2002, 9:24:34 AM7/31/02

"roger gonnet" <gon...@antisectes.net> wrote in message

> amhad? AMHA, she's a pure product of a half braiwashhed and half liar.
Euh, complete liar.
> Those who ignore what they are speaking of are the worse liars.

Well, what do you expect? It's their typical strained ad hominem rhetoric.
If a Scientology staff member ever showed evidence of thinking for
themselves, they'd be on the RPF quicker than you can say "out-ethics".
It's sad to watch. L. Ron Hubbard was truly the quintissential, penultimate
expression of the American con artist. I just hope the readers of the Times
in Gary are not shallow enough to fall for this lady's amusingly bad
rhetoric.

TP http://theb3nut.tripod.com

Mike O'Connor

Jul 31, 2002, 10:29:06 AM7/31/02
In article <3D47C05B...@voicenet.com>,
Rod Keller <rke...@voicenet.com> wrote:

> This same man worked for the now-defunct, anti-religious group called
> the Cult Awareness Network until

[...]

It isn't defunct, liar! Are you ashamed of your own sleazy front
operation? Ashamed of what CAN is now? Well, you should be.

--
LYING IS A SCIENTOLOGY SACRAMENT
ASK THEM ABOUT XENU

barb

Jul 31, 2002, 11:27:10 AM7/31/02

An interesting exercise in borderline libel, a Scientology mainstay.
Interesting in that the paper's own policy states:

* We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest.
Please include printed name, address and a telephone number so we
can contact you for verification. Letters should be 200 words or less.
Letters may be edited for clarity, brevity, libel and taste. The Times
can print only one letter a month from the same writer, part of our
effort
to get more letters from more people in the paper.
--
Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC

"$cientology sees the world this way: One man with a picket sign:
terrorism. Five thousand people dead in a deliberate inferno: business
opportunity.

$cientology oozes _under_ terrorists to hide."
-Chris Leithiser

barb

Jul 31, 2002, 12:44:01 PM7/31/02

Editor,

After reading Mary Ann Ahmad's letter excoriating Jim Beebe, I checked
your policy. Of particular note is the following;

"Letters may be edited for clarity, brevity, libel and taste."

In printing Ms. Ahmad's letter, you clearly violated your own policy.
This is a classic example of Scientology communication skills at work.
She starts off with an ad hominem attack on Mr. Beebe, which I am
surprised you allowed into print. She then follows with typical
Scientology half-truths, inaccuracies, and misleading "facts." I wish to
refute the following misinformation offered by Ms. Ahmad point by point,
in the hope of making you aware of these techniques in the future. First
up, her statement about the Cult Awareness Network. She states, "This

same man worked for the now-defunct, anti-religious group called the
Cult Awareness Network until its bankruptcy filing in 1996."

What she doesn't tell you is that CAN is not defunct! After they
declared bankruptcy, the American Family Foundation issued this warning;

"4 November 1996

Important Notice
Re: Cult Awareness Network

To Whom it may concern:

On October 23, 1996 the law firm which has represented
the Church of Scientology for years purchased the logo
and license agreement of the Cult Awareness Network
(CAN).

Accordingly, any publications or communications using
the CAN name or logo after October 23rd (1996) should
not be regarded as emanating from or having the
approval of the Cult Awareness Network personnel or
officers who were associated with CAN before 23
October.

Sincerely,

Herbert L. Rosedale, Esq.
President AFF"

Anyone who calls CAN out of concern for a cult victim will be speaking
with a Scientology representative. This is only one example of
Scientology's policy of hiding behind front groups. Another excellent
example is the Narconon front group. Designed to put a positive spin on
Scientology when it suits them, the Narconon front group will also deny
an association with the Scientology Organization when that connection
may be a detriment.

Ms. Ahmad neglects to mention in her reference to "independent" studies
of Narconon the fact that the Swedish study to which she refers was
commissioned by Narconon itself.

A report by the California State Department of Health had this to say
about Narconon's claimed success rate;
"a. Public Descriptions by Pamphlets, Notices, etc.: The 86% "cure rate"
is totally unfounded. Narconon
publishes a voluminous amount of paper for the purpose of public
relations. The main Narconon rehabilitation program bulletin states that
a high percentage of clients, approximately 75%, are rehabilitated
within 3 months. The pamphlet further states that one supervisor can
supervise 42 people a day in three 3-hour periods. Furthermore, one
supervisor can train 14 new supervisors in three months.

b. Misleading Claims: Narconon claims to have an 86% cure rate for
narcotics addicts which is simply not true. Mr. Greg Zerovnik, National
Director - Narconon U.S., explained that the 86% figure came from a
study
of parolees from the Arizona State Prison who may or may not have been
narcotics addicts. This sort of claim is, of course, misleading to both
the prospective client and to public officials who are sincerely
attempting to find ways to cope with the problem of drug abuse."

Following the issuance of this report, California State funding for the
Narconon program was terminated.

When the Narconon program is put under close scrutiny by qualified
medical personnel, the evaluations issued are inevitably negative.

"This "purification" or "detoxification" program is claimed to help
"clear" the mind of toxins such as drugs, pesticides and chemical
pollutants. It consists of large doses of niacin, vegetable oil,
exercise and "low temperature" saunas. According to the followers of L.
Ron Hubbard, the large doses of niacin works by
stimulating the release of fat into the blood stream and this is
accompanied by various "toxins" trapped in the body's fatty tissues.
According to science, large doses of niacin actually block the release
of fat from fat cells. This has been observed both at rest [Acta Medica
Scandinavia 1962, 172(suppl):641] and during exercise [D. Jenkins,
Lancet 1965,1307]. In other words, the scientific evidence shows that
the exact opposite of what Hubbard's theory predicts. There is no
credible support for claims that large doses of niacin clear toxins from
the brain, fatty tissue or any other part of the body.

To make matters worse, large doses of niacin are hepatotoxic and can
cause serious liver damage. It may also trigger gout, raise blood sugar
into the diabetic range, cause itching, flushing and a rash. Nausea and
gastritis are other side effects of large doses of niacin. To subject
people to these potentially serious side effects on the pretense that
they are being "detoxified", "cleared" or "purified" is quackery."

(James J. Kenney, Ph.D., R.D., National Council
Against Health Fraud, Santa Monica, CA - letter to Dr.
John Chelf, copied to R.W. Lobsinger, 5 January 1991)

It must be understood that this program was created by L. Ron Hubbard, a
science fiction writer with no medical training, a man who purchased a
doctorate from Sequoia University, a diploma mill. His formal education
ended when he dropped out of college.

Another grossly misleading statement by Ms. Ahmad is the following; "An

independent study in Sweden, where the government has supported
Narconon for more than 20 years, found that 84.6 percent of Narconon
graduates remained drug free."

Again, this is a few degrees shy of the truth. The government support
she mentioned is archived in this Reuters report from 1988.

"The Swedish media report that the Church of Scientology has been
distributing a promotional video including footage of King Carl XVI
Gustaf of Sweden, with a voice-over saying: "Even His Highness King
Carl Gustaf has realized that Sweden has a solution for drug abuse. It
is called Narconon."
Sweden is presented by Scientology as a country with many drug addicts
and the highest rate of theft in the world. The footage turns out to be
a decade old, and a spokeswoman for the Court states: "The Royal Couple
does not support this organization in any way. We have made contact with
Scientology and demanded that the segment with the Royal Couple be
edited out."
(Reuters, 6 April 1998; Berlin Kurier, 8 April 1998; TV4, Sweden, 8
April 1998)

A more recent case of Scientology/Narconon lying to the public can be
found in the small town of Bowden, Georgia, where Scientology proposed
to establish a Narconon facility on 60 acres of farmland. Not only did
Scientology supporters go door-to-door asking people about their
attitude towards the problem of drug abuse in their community, they also
approached the local paper, the Carroll Star News with the information
that they had the support of the community. Fortunately, reporter J.
Pilkonis was willing to do some research into the history of Narconon.
When the Narconon representatives denied connection with Scientology, he
was able to refute that lie. When they claimed to have the endorsement
of the Concerned Black Clergy organization, he contacted them and found
that, not only do they never endorse any drug treatment programs, they'd
never heard of Narconon! A similar claim was made regarding support from
the Boy Scouts, who also denied any support for the Narconon facility.

Mr. Pilkonis and the staff of the Carroll Star News was then subjected
to harrassment by Scientology representatives. Due to extreme public
protests, Narconon's proposed facility was run out of town!

Ms. Ahmad is surely aware that her "religion" has a fifty year history
of abuse and lies. She would like you to please not look at it and just
take her word that Scientology isn't a scam, or a totalitarian cult
which uses mental coercion to control its followers. She would like you
to believe that everything negative about Scientology is false, despite
reams of documentation to the contrary.

She would also prefer that you refrain from researching the web for
references to Narconon, the Cult Awareness Network, and Scientology. She
would especially like you to not look at WWW.XENU.NET, as it has
extensive information on all facets of Scientology and founder L. Ron
Hubbard. She wouldn't want you to find out about Scientology's prison
camps, or their paramilitary toy Navy, the Sea Org, or the Office of
Special Affairs, their toy CIA-type intelligence branch.
She wouldn't want you to wonder what kind of a church has prison camps,
intelligence branches, and paramilitary organizations.

So please. Make Mary happy. Don't look too closely at Scientology and
its programs. Believe me, you don't want to get on Scientology's bad
side, or you'll wind up on www.religiousfreedomwatch.com. And don't go
there! You might start wondering what kind of a church would post a
website dedicated to defaming people who speak out against their abuses.

Steve "El Roto" G.

Jul 31, 2002, 3:16:53 PM7/31/02
A first-class letter! This one should be reposted every month or so to let
newcomers in on the scam of C0$.

--
Steve "El Roto" G.

Mike O'Connor

Jul 31, 2002, 4:21:46 PM7/31/02
In article <3D4813D1...@cox.net>, barb <bwa...@cox.net> wrote:

> So please. Make Mary happy. Don't look too closely at Scientology and
> its programs. Believe me, you don't want to get on Scientology's bad
> side, or you'll wind up on www.religiousfreedomwatch.com. And don't go
> there! You might start wondering what kind of a church would post a
> website dedicated to defaming people who speak out against their abuses.

A good letter. I think that people reading the above might say oh sure,
this person is angry, perhaps she is listed on that site or something
and has an ax to grind. They won't realize a key, crucial fact:
Scientology's own scripture teaches to attack critics by smearing them,
bankrupting them, manufacturing threats against them until they "quail"
or shudder into silence, trick them, lie to them, destroy them utterly.
Amazing! And no one belives that at first. But there it is, in the
scriptures, and there it happens, in front of people's eyes. We wee it
year after year, in case after case. Incredible. People must be told.

JimDBB

Jul 31, 2002, 4:31:33 PM7/31/02
>Subject: Re: The Times (Gary, Indiana): Jim Beebe
>From: "roger gonnet" gon...@antisectes.net
>Date: 7/31/02 7:00 AM Central

>> Church of Scientology a front-runner in fight on drugs
>> The Times (Gary, Indiana)
>> Posted on Wednesday, July 3

>http://www.thetimesonline.com/in

Has anyone ever seen a newspaper print a scurrilous personal attack so filled
with vicious villification?

JImdbb

Beverly Rice

Jul 31, 2002, 6:49:12 PM7/31/02
barb wrote:

Barb, you letter below is really excellent.

If someone gets the Gary IN "The Times", I would be very
interested to see if it gets printed.

The reasons I see that it may not are:

1. It is long . . .

2. It is factual and contains not innuendoes like the Co$
representative, Ms. Ahmed's letter does . . .

but actual factual responses that require thinking, not
reacting.

I believe that editorials are usually more geared for wanting
reactions to things than actual data that shows real research.

Please keep me posted (and again, very good response).

ARC = As-Ising the Real CST = Church of Spiritual Technology,
the driving force behind the Co$, which does not exist,

Beverly

Pts 2

Jul 31, 2002, 7:11:25 PM7/31/02
Excellent letter Barb. You continue to separate
yourself as an activist with purpose vs. the mere keyboard critics
types.

Wonder if one of the DGATGA gang members is going to write the Gary
Times re: how bad
Minton / LMT is, to divert the real cultic abuse issues? :)

Tom
<><><><><><><><><><><>
www.WhyAreTheyDead.net
If I ever trust an ex-scientologist again, I need my head examined.
TIGGER

barb

Jul 31, 2002, 8:11:16 PM7/31/02
Beverly Rice wrote:

> barb wrote:
>
> Barb, you letter below is really excellent.
>
> If someone gets the Gary IN "The Times", I would be very
> interested to see if it gets printed.
>
> The reasons I see that it may not are:
>
> 1. It is long . . .
>
> 2. It is factual and contains not innuendoes like the Co$
> representative, Ms. Ahmed's letter does . . .
>
> but actual factual responses that require thinking, not
> reacting.
>
> I believe that editorials are usually more geared for wanting
> reactions to things than actual data that shows real research.
>
> Please keep me posted (and again, very good response).

Okay...I got a letter from Big Mike, the editor, informing me that their
requirement is 200 words, not 1400!

Well, what the heck is the editor there for? Editing, maybe? ;)

Pts 2

Jul 31, 2002, 8:47:35 PM7/31/02
JimBB wrote: "Has anyone ever seen a newspaper print a scurrilous attack

so filled with vicious villification?"

Oh yeah Jim! :)

This Mary Anne Ahmad's Public Affairs counterpart in Co$ of Boston,
Frank Ofman, did the SAME thing to me in the Cape Cod Times on Sept. 8,
2000. ---> http://members.lycos.nl/gormez/padgett/cct000908.txt It's
just OSA Black PR S.O.P. !!!!

Hey, I wonder if OSA / Co$ hired her for her name? "Ah Mad" (pithed
off) :-))

Birgitta

Jul 31, 2002, 9:37:18 PM7/31/02
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:00:25 +0200, "roger gonnet"
<gon...@antisectes.net> wrote:

>"Rod Keller" <rke...@voicenet.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 3D47C05B...@voicenet.com...
>> Church of Scientology a front-runner in fight on drugs
>> The Times (Gary, Indiana)
>> Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002
>> http://www.thetimesonline.com/index.pl/articlenoad?id=25147791
>>
>> The July 28 letter from Jim Beebe is the trademark of someone who lives
>> his life filled with hatred. He is an authority in hatred.

(big snip of Scn-propaganda)

>> An independent study in Sweden, where the government has supported
>> Narconon for more than 20 years, found that 84.6 percent of Narconon
>> graduates remained drug free.
>
>An independant what? 86,4 % narconon is 86,4 % of nothing and equals nothing.

That "independant" study was done by ONE socialworker who happened to
be a scientologist. The study was done on 7 cases I think, and it was
not a long time study. As far as I know only one of those remained
drug free.
There is later studies showing that the Narconon program have worse
results than other programs. Most of the government support is gone in
terms of paying for drugrehabilitation at Narconon.

Bid

thomlove

Aug 1, 2002, 12:06:39 AM8/1/02
Hi Barb;

This is a good letter. If you could cut it down and put the main points
into the '200' word limit, it may start a real discussion on OSA's Fair
Game policy.

Can letters be sent by e-mail?

thomlove

Susan

Aug 1, 2002, 12:21:59 AM8/1/02
Barb,

This is a superb example of the fraud called
the "church" of scientology. Very well done.

Thanks,

Susan

barb

Aug 1, 2002, 10:18:13 AM8/1/02
thomlove wrote:

> Hi Barb;
>
> This is a good letter. If you could cut it down and put the main points
> into the '200' word limit, it may start a real discussion on OSA's Fair
> Game policy.
>
> Can letters be sent by e-mail?
>
> thomlove

Yes, they can. There is a contact button somewhere in the letters
section.

Yep, I know it was way over 200 words long! Often times, I've had such
letters published, after heavy editing, by editors who appreciate the
opportunity to look through material and selectively decide which items
to use. It's sort of module letter writing. I'd never expect anyone to
print the entire thing.