You're an organism, Sci-borg. Get over it!

1 view

Noesis

Jun 9, 2005, 2:11:27 PM6/9/05
I find it highest humor when Scientologists accuse psychologists of making
up imaginary disorders. "Body Thetans" or "Engrams" anyone?

If our bodies are in fact nothing but bio-beasts being ridden by the
spiritual beings that we truly are, then one would expect the personality
to be persistent regardless of how the brain is altered by age, disease,
chemical manipulation or injury. If the person is in fact immortal,
altering the bio-beast might alter the bodies response to the spirit's
attempts to manipulate it, but the personality should be untouched, at
least until the Thetan returns to that magical somewhere where they have
their minds voluntarily wiped before selecting a new bio beast to ride.

But of course anything I do to your brain affects your mind because it is
your mind, and I can demonstrate this under controlled conditions until
the end of days, and you can demonstrate nothing to the contrary.

Face it Sci-borgs: You are a physical organism, nothing more. You're mind
is not separate from your brain as I can prove with a swift kick to your
head. When your brain is damaged, you are damaged and when your brain is
dead, you are dead. Ron is no communicating with you from the great
beyond, or Mars or anywhere else. Grow up and get over it. Stomping your
feet, and holding your breath, or a pair of soup cans, until someone makes
you immortal, is a waste of energy, and money, that you could be expending
making the most of the limited time you have.

As for your attacks on the one science that has most to do with uncovering
the fraud of Scientology, I would point out that many of the disorders in
the APA manual arise from well-identified physical causes, like injuries,
tumors, infections, which psychiatrists, being first of all medical
doctors, are trained to recognize before the problem kills you, but which
some piano-tuner-by-day-auditor-by-night isn't going to identify with an
overgrown galvanometer and questions about "havingness" and past lives.

Doubtless the rush to classify every disturbance of normal mental
functioning as a discrete psychological disorder has on occasion gotten
silly. You sometimes get unwarranted results from the way the research
grant system and publication pressure incent researchers to create novel
topics. That's why you have peer review and attempts to reproduce the
same results by other researchers. Occasionally things go off the rails,
but that hardly makes psychology inferior to a system based on nothing
more than the unproven say so of a pathological liar and fraud.

Of course I don't expect Sci-borgs to care about empiricism, critical
thinking and proof, because if you did, you wouldn't be Sci-borgs. Still,
I would think given that none of the claims of Scientology have been
verified by empirical testing, whether of improved IQ, invisible aliens,
invader forces in the Pyrenees,volcanoes where none existed during events
which supposedly occurred 74.85 trillion years before the universe came
into existence, freight trains on Venus, amazing Thetan mental powers that
no one has demonstrated under controlled laboratory testing, evil galactic
overlords that make spirit beings watch bad movies, and believing humans
cry because we were once barnacles getting smacked by wave action, I would
expect you to be a little less zealous about calling psychology a bunch of
hoodoo voodoo.

I suppose the only thing you can do if becoming a paranoid schizophrenic
is your idea of the Holy Grail, is attack the people who think you and
those around you need to be protected from your complete disconnection
from reality and rationality. I would say, "Knock yourselves out", but you
poor sould have enough problems without acquiring more imaginary
"engrams."

Fortunately, by applying even a modest amount of critical thinking we can
innoculate ourselves against accepting either the novel behavioral
classifications of any over-zealous psychologists as well as delusional
cosmologies concocted by a cult leader that couldn't pass a third grade
science class.

orkeltatte

Jun 9, 2005, 2:39:10 PM6/9/05

An absolutely excellent posting. I take a deep bow.Agreed on every line
every word and meaning thereof.

Ulf Brettstam
Senior Psychiatrist
Sweden