Lawley case collapses

Martin Poulter

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

LAWLEY CASE COLLAPSES

More than a decade of litigation ended last week for Ron Lawley of East
Grinstead in the UK. Ron, an ex-Sea Org'er, had been fighting for the
return of a set of NOTS documents. It was decided in a hearing on Wednesday
that, as a bankrupt (he was bankrupted last year by legal costs), he did
not have locus standi to continue the case. The courts had ordered
Scientology to return a NOTS pack to Ron, but they appealed this order.
Scientology now gets to keep the material because Ron cannot fight the appeal.

The case has cost Scientology many many times what it cost Ron. Ron has been
appearing pro se while Scientology has probably spent a seven-figure sum
on its legal costs. Ron has been helped in his case by kind donations from
some 'netizens. The considerable legal knowledge he has built up has been
useful to other litigants such as Bonnie Woods.

Ron's aim, to give the public freedom of access to the NOTS material, has
been partly achieved with the posting of the Flag NOTS pack on a.r.s, making
it an empty victory for Scientology.

Hopefully, Ron will be writing some more comments on the case, for me to
post to the newsgroup.
--
MARTIN L: Postgrad., amateur crackpotologist and caffeine-free celibate bon M
POULTER : viveur studying the Philosophy of Belief at Bristol Uni., England c

Lance S. Buckley

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

Tilman Hausherr

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

In <Du0rL...@uns.bris.ac.uk>, pl...@mail.bris.ac.uk (Martin Poulter) wrote:

>LAWLEY CASE COLLAPSES
>
>More than a decade of litigation ended last week for Ron Lawley of East
>Grinstead in the UK. Ron, an ex-Sea Org'er, had been fighting for the
>return of a set of NOTS documents. It was decided in a hearing on Wednesday
>that, as a bankrupt (he was bankrupted last year by legal costs), he did
>not have locus standi to continue the case. The courts had ordered
>Scientology to return a NOTS pack to Ron, but they appealed this order.
>Scientology now gets to keep the material because Ron cannot fight the appeal.

Sad to hear that. I guess this will make another cynic article
in the international scientology news. Even if he lost, Lawley, Scott
and Belmaine will never be forgotten - they masterminded one of the
funniest operations even done against the co$, and showed that all
you needed at that time to get NOTS was a second-hand maval uniform
and an arrogant attitude.

____
{__, \ {
/ . . ) \