FROM THE FILES OF THE FBI 226-250

Martin Hunt

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Repost 226-250 complete:

**********

FROM THE FILES OF THE FBI 226

[handwritten letter]

October 3, 1969

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm inquiring about an organization called Scientology and would
appreciate any information you could give me on it.

I was told to write the F.B.I. in [BLACKED OUT], Wash. as they aren't
allowed to give any information out.

If you can't give me any information could you please direct me to someone
that could.

Thank you

[SIGNATURE BLACKED OUT]

***

October 8, 1969

[ADDRESS BLOCK BLACKED OUT]

Dear Miss [BLACKED OUT]

investigative agency of the Federal Government and, as such, neither makes
evaluations nor draws conclusions as to the character or integrity of any
organization, publication or individual. I hope you will not infer either
that we do or do not have material in our files relating to Scientology.

Sincerely yours,

[stamped] J. Edgar Hoover

John Edgar Hoover
Director

NOTE: Bufiles contain no record of correspondent. In late 2962, newspaper
clippings indicated that Food and Drug Administration officials raided the
Washington, D.C. Headquarters of Ron Hubbard who runs the Academy of
Scientology. Hubbard is the founder and president of the Hubbard Dianetic
Research Foundation, Inc., which furthers Hubbard's theory of Scientology,
an alleged science which instills self-confidence and assists individuals
in removing mental problems and obtaining human ability. Hubbard has been
described as "hopelessly insane" by his wife is suing for divorce and "The
Washington Times Herald" of 4-24-51, in mentioning this divorce
proceeding, stated that "competent medical advisors recommended that
Hubbard be committed to a private sanitarium for treatment of paranoid
schizophrenia."
(Bufile 105-55601)

LEE:elh (3)

**********

FROM THE FILES OF THE FBI 227

November 18, 1969

RONALD LAFAYETTE HUBBARD [sic]
Also Known as L. Ron Hubbard
Born: March 13, 1911
Tilden, Nebraska

A review of the files of this Bureau reveals the following information
which may be identi[illegible] with the captioned individual.

No investigation has been conducted by this Bureau concerning Hubbard.
However, our files reveal that he was the founder and president of the
Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation, Inc., which was incorporated in New
Jersey, during April, 1950.

The December 5, 1950, issue of Look magazine contained an article entitled
"Dianetics - Science or Hoax?" which related that Hubbard was an obscure
writer of pseuco-scientific pulp fiction.

During March 1951, the Board of Medical Examiners, State of New Jersey,
had a case against the Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation scheduled for
trial on the grounds that the organization was conducting a school
teaching a branch of medicine and surgery without a license.

The April 24, 1951, issue of the "Washington Times Herald" carried an
article indicating that Hubbard's wife, [illegible] him for divorce, had
claimed that he was "hopelessly insane." According to this article,
"competent medical advisors recommended that Hubbard be committed to a
private sanatorium for psychiatric observation and treatment of a mental
ailment known as paranoid schizophrenia.'"

In January, 1963, the Food and Drug Administration directed a raid against
the Academy of Scientology in Washington, D.C., in which machines used by
the Academy in

Original and 1 - State
Request Received-11-10-69

This document contains neither recommendations nor conclusions of the FBI.
It is the property of the FBI, and is loaned to your agency; it and its
contents are not to be distributed outside your agency. This reply is
result of check of FBI investigative files. To check arrest records,
request must be submitted to FBI Identification Division. Fingerprints
are necessary for positive check.

CWL:llb
(4)

[page 2]

Ronald Lafayette Hubbard [sic]

the practice of "Scientology" were seized. It was alleged that these
machines, known as "Hubbard Electrometers," were falsely advertised as
being effective in treating various types of illnesses.

In the past, Hubbard has corresponded with this Bureau and Department of
Justice on several occasions for various reasons, including complaints
about his wife and about alleged communists. In one lengthy letter in
May, 1951, it is perhaps noteworthy that Hubbard stated that while he was
in his apartment on February 23, 1951, about two or three o'clock in the
morning, his apartment was entered. He was knocked out. A needle was
thrust into his heart to produce a coronary thrombosis and he was given an
electric shock. He said his recollection of this incident was now very
blurred, that he had no witnesses and that the only other person who had a
key to the apartment was his wife.
(62-94080)

- 2 -

**********

FROM THE FILES OF THE FBI 228

[handwritten letter, date is cut off at top of xerox copy; from place in
the files it is probably circa January 1970]

U.S. Dept. Of Justice
9th and Pennsylvania N.W.
Washington, D.C.

Dear Sirs,

I am writing you to ask you to obtain some information for me. I talked
to your F.B.I. agent located here in [BLACKED OUT] then to the Attorney
General's office in Indianapolis and finally the F.B.I. office in
Washington D.C. They referred me to your department.

I am wanting to know if you have a listing on known subversive
organization[?] In particular Scientology Organizations and Centers
located throughout the United States and the world. This organization was
founded by L. Ron Hubbard. He served in World War II. They have the
General office located 12 North Avenue, Highland Park, Michigan. My son
is interested in this Organization therefore I am concerned. I don't want
him connecting himself with anything that might have underlying subversive
teachings

I know this is a great deal to ask of you but would appreciate you sending
me your findings or anything you might know about it. Thanking you in
advance, I remain

Very truly yours

[SIGNATURE BLACKED OUT]

FROM THE FILES OF THE FBI 229

January 15, 1970

[ADDRESS BLOCK BLACKED OUT]

Dear Mrs. [BLACKED OUT]

The FBI has no list for distribution such as you requested in your letter