Scientology sales tech: "Go for the throat. Go for blood. Go for the bloody throat."

1 view

Android Cat

Dec 20, 2007, 4:29:15 PM12/20/07
Church Markets Its Gospel With High-Pressure Sales June 25, 1990, Joel
Sappell, Robert W. Welkos, Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-scientology062590,0,7966802,full.story

===
Its tactics come directly from Hubbard, who wrote entire treatises on how to
create a market for, and sell, Scientology.

He borrowed generously from a 1971 book called "Big League Sales Closing
Techniques." Touted as the "selling secrets of a supersalesman," the book
was written by former car dealer Les Dane, who has conducted popular
seminars at Scientology headquarters in Florida.

===
Like all Scientology staffers, a registrar's productivity is evaluated each
week. Performance is judged by how much money he or she brings in by
Thursday afternoon. And, in Scientology, declining or stagnant productivity
is not viewed benevolently, as former registrar Roger Barnes says he
learned.

"I remember being dragged across a desk by my tie because I hadn't made my
(sales quota)," said Barnes, who once toured the world selling Scientology
until he had a bitter break with the group.

Barnes and other ex-Scientologists say that this uncompromising push to
generate more money each week places intense pressure on registrars.

Another former Scientology salesman in Los Angeles said he and other
registrars would use a tactic called "crush regging." The technique, he
said, employed no elaborate sales talk. They repeated three words again and
again: "Sign the check. Sign the check."

"This made the person feel so harassed," he said, "that he would sign the
check because it was the only way he was going to get out of there."

A 1984 investigative report by Canadian authorities quoted a Toronto
registrar as saying that members of the public want to be "bled of their
money. . . . If they didn't, they would be staff members eligible for free
training."

The Canadian report also recounted a meeting during which Scientology
staffers chanted: "Go for the throat. Go for blood. Go for the bloody
throat."

Former Scientologist Donna Day of Ventura said that church registrars
accused her of throwing away money on rent and on food for her cats and
dogs--"degraded beings," they called her pets. They said the money should be
going to the church.
===

Does anyone know which Canadian report they're refering to? (After the 1983
Toronto Snow White raid, but before R. v. Church of Scientology of Toronto
got underweigh.)

--
Ron of that ilk.

Jonathon Barbera

Dec 20, 2007, 5:57:26 PM12/20/07
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:29:15 -0500, "Android Cat"
<androi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Church Markets Its Gospel With High-Pressure Sales June 25, 1990, Joel
>Sappell, Robert W. Welkos, Los Angeles Times
>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-scientology062590,0,7966802,full.story
>

>===
>Its tactics come directly from Hubbard, who wrote entire treatises on how to
>create a market for, and sell, Scientology.
>
>He borrowed generously from a 1971 book called "Big League Sales Closing
>Techniques." Touted as the "selling secrets of a supersalesman," the book
>was written by former car dealer Les Dane, who has conducted popular
>seminars at Scientology headquarters in Florida.

The old title was "Big League Sales" while the new title is "Sure-fire
Closing Techniques" with the quote marks serving as italics.

I read it. It's a good book.

I think people sometimes forget that a person's case is often
resistant to change. You look around at the regulars on this
newsgroup and you find people stuck in their own respective ruts. They
are each obsessing over their own personal tragedies or make-wrongs.

Now, even though a person has a bad condition doesn't mean he or she
wants to change it. That's part of what I mean by the case resisting
the change. By using hard sales selling techniques, the goal is to
overcome the case of the individual and not the individual.

The case doesn't want to give up its make-wrong computations, for
example, because these are found quite useful against others. The
individual wants to rid himself or herself of these make-wrong
computations, but the case is irrational and wants to destroy itself.
The case is down tone and tending toward succumb.

Survival has to win out or else the species will suffer and perish.

Love,
-- Jonathon

Vote for my candidate!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Read my book!
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780595392308&itm=1

Play my game!
http://www.download.com/Illuminomicon/3000-2111_4-10602363.html

Android Cat

Dec 20, 2007, 6:20:20 PM12/20/07

Dude, crush selling the next course to some victim does *not* involve the
survival of the species.

That's the problem with Scientology in a nutshell. It's not about survival
of the species in Scientology's "ethics", it's about greed and power.

R. Hill

Dec 20, 2007, 6:59:42 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 8:57 pm, Jonathon Barbera <jonathonbarb...@ispname.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:29:15 -0500, "Android Cat"
>
> <androidca...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Church Markets Its Gospel With High-Pressure Sales June 25, 1990, Joel
> >Sappell, Robert W. Welkos, Los Angeles Times
> >http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-scientology062590,0,7966802,full...

> >===
> >Its tactics come directly from Hubbard, who wrote entire treatises on how to
> >create a market for, and sell, Scientology.
>
> >He borrowed generously from a 1971 book called "Big League Sales Closing
> >Techniques." Touted as the "selling secrets of a supersalesman," the book
> >was written by former car dealer Les Dane, who has conducted popular
> >seminars at Scientology headquarters in Florida.
>
> The old title was "Big League Sales" while the new title is "Sure-fire
> Closing Techniques" with the quote marks serving as italics.
>
> I read it. It's a good book.
>
> I think people sometimes forget that a person's case is often
> resistant to change. You look around at the regulars on this
> newsgroup and you find people stuck in their own respective ruts. They
> are each obsessing over their own personal tragedies or make-wrongs.

<snip>

Justice Latey on "regging":

=====
"Regging"

This is the word used to describe extorting money.

Examples proved in evidence and not challenged are:

Two people were persuaded to sell their respective houses. Proceeds
were used to pay for Scientology services. Both were left with
virtually no assets.

A man was persuaded to pay the entirety of his worker's Compensation
payment, approximately $18,000 towards "Services".

A man was persuaded to pay $52,000 out of a Settlement awarded to him
for permanent injuries from a motorcycle accident.

A married couple were persuaded to pay $105,000 by selling off a large
part of the wife's inherited stocks and shares.

A man undergoing chemotherapy for terminal lymphatic cancer was
persuaded to pay $24,000.

[...]
=====

http://www.xenu.net/archive/audit/latey.html#8c

Clearly, Justice Latey didn't understand that spiritual salvation was
at stake here.

Lucky us, David Miscavige is personally involving himself to ensure
people will be spiritual enlightened:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/behar/forbes-1986.html

"I manipulated a half-million-dollar inheritance out of Bob B... He
was naive as hell. D.M. (David Miscavige) called me up in the middle
of the night [about Bob B...] He wanted the money."

Ray.

Android Cat

Dec 21, 2007, 11:32:42 AM12/21/07
Android Cat wrote:
> Church Markets Its Gospel With High-Pressure Sales June 25, 1990, Joel
> Sappell, Robert W. Welkos, Los Angeles Times
> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-scientology062590,0,7966802,full.story

> Another former Scientology salesman in Los Angeles said he and other

> registrars would use a tactic called "crush regging." The technique,
> he said, employed no elaborate sales talk. They repeated three words
> again and again: "Sign the check. Sign the check."
>
> "This made the person feel so harassed," he said, "that he would sign
> the check because it was the only way he was going to get out of
> there."
>
> A 1984 investigative report by Canadian authorities quoted a Toronto
> registrar as saying that members of the public want to be "bled of
> their money. . . . If they didn't, they would be staff members
> eligible for free training."
>
> The Canadian report also recounted a meeting during which Scientology
> staffers chanted: "Go for the throat. Go for blood. Go for the bloody
> throat."
>
> Former Scientologist Donna Day of Ventura said that church registrars
> accused her of throwing away money on rent and on food for her cats
> and dogs--"degraded beings," they called her pets. They said the
> money should be going to the church.
> ===
>
> Does anyone know which Canadian report they're refering to? (After
> the 1983 Toronto Snow White raid, but before R. v. Church of
> Scientology of Toronto got underweigh.)

Still wondering if anyone would know which 1984 Canadian report this might
be?