Lavenda Van Schaick Declaration

Diane Richardson

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Lavenda Van Schaick swore out an affidavit relating harassment she had
received from the "Church" of Scientology[tm] while she was suing them
for, among other things, intention inflictional of emotional distress.
The full text of the declaration as it appears in FACTNet is appended
below.

Interestingly, FACTNet states that the date of this document is
illegible and it does not include the date on which it was sworn out
to a notary public. Nevertheless, it is quite simple to estimate a
date from the contents of the affidavit itself. It appears to have
been written in the first half of 1982 -- before May of 1982, to be
specific.

Lavenda Van Schaick mentions, in paragraph 7, that a Gary Klinger of
the Guardian's Office was sent to her home to offer $8,000 for
"Church" documents which the "Church" believed Lavenda had in her
possession.

Lavenda Van Schaick makes no mention whatever of the rape of her
sister Lisa, or the retrieval of documents from Lisa Van Schaick's
apartment.

Steven Fishman claims that the rape of Lisa Van Schaick occurred on 10
Apr 1981. If this event actually occurred, why was it not mentioned
in a declaration Lavenda Van Schaick swore out nearly one year later?
This document was intended to detail the abuse she had received from
the "Church" of Scientology[tm].

AFFIDAVIT OF LA VENDA VAN SCHAICK

I, La Venda Van Schaick, hereby depose and state under the pains and
penalties of perjury:

1. I have personal knowledge of the facts sworn to herein and if
called as a witness to testify thereto could do so of my own personal
knowledge.

2. I was a member of the Church of Scientology, Mission of Meadow,
Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Org of the State of Nevada and was an
employee of said Church for approximately nine (9) years. I left the
Church on May 12, 1979.

3. As a result of such employment I was responsible for about four
(4) years from 10/71 to 12/73 and 1/76 to 1/78, for the Hubbard
Communication Office, first at the Las Vegas Org and later at the
Mission of Meadows in Las Vegas. I know from experience that this
Office handles communications between Orgs and its immediate
headquarters in Los Angeles and the headquarters in Clearwater,
Florida.

4. In my capacity as the Hubbard Communication Area Secretary, I had
frequent contacts with the Guardian's Office personnel who included:
Matty Reese, Chuck Reese, Susan Reed, Jack Gay and Bruce Hamilton.
The Guardian's Office is the police and enforcement arm of the Church
and its headquarters is now in Clearwater, Florida. As the result of
such employment I had access to more than forty different files on
members who were subjected to the "Fair Game" Doctrine and who were
designated "enemies" by the Guardian's Office. An "enemy" or "SP"
(Suppressive Person) as defined by the Church in its policy letter of
October 18, 1967 is one who disagrees with Scientology policies and
such a person may be "tricked", "lied to", "sued", or "destroyed". As
the Hubbard Communication Area Secretary, I personally saw
instructions from the Guardian's Office in Clearwater, Florida and
from Los Angeles to put this order into effect while I was working at
the Las Vegas Organization.

5. Pursuant to these orders, I personally observed "PC" folders being
sent to the Guardian's Office in Clearwater, Florida. "PC" folders
contain information that is revealed by Church members during a
process called auditing. Auditing is a procedure similar to
confession wherein a Church member will reveal to an "Auditor" the
intimacies and secrets of a person's life. The Auditor will
thereafter record the information and place it in the "PC" folders.
The Church member is regularly promised that the information disclosed
in auditing will never be revealed by the Auditor. The Church member
pays $625 for 12 1/2 hours of auditing and is promised a refund if he
is dissatisfied.

6. The purpose of sending the PC folders to the Guardian's Office
where a person had been designated SP or Fair Game was to use the
contents of the folders to attack, threaten, blackmail and control the
person and thereby prevent the person from seeking to collect refunds
of moneys paid to the Church or to prevent the person from exposing
the Church activities. The Church regularly and as part of its policy
uses the material in these folders to blackmail and control its
members in this way. I personally observed this done on numerous
occasions contrary to the promises made to Church members. In one
case, the Church declared a person named David Sandweiss an SP and
threatened to expose auditing information revealed to his auditor by
him if he sued for a refund or sought in any way to expose the Church
problems. He thereafter committed suicide.

7. In my own case, after I left Scientology, and informed the Church
that I intended to sue it for defrauding me of approximately $13,000,
the Guardian's Office in Clearwater, Florida, routed the contents of
my "PC" folder to the Church in Boston which wrote a letter to my
attorney, Michael J. Flynn and without my permission, disclosed the
contents of my "PC" folder. The contents of this folder contained in
part material that I had disclosed during auditing and it also
contains falsehoods inserted by the Church. I did not give the Church
permission to disclose this information and it was sent to Attorney
Flynn for purposes of depriving me of my legal right to sue the
Church. Thereafter, the Guardian's Office sent an individual named
Gary Klinger to my home. At that time I took from him a document
which I now have in my possession wherein it is stated that he is to
threaten me with extortion and offer me $8,000 in exchange for
documents of the Church, which the Church believes I now have in my
possession. Based on my experience and knowledge of the Church, I
believe that these orders came from Clearwater, Florida.

8. I know from my experience that it is Church policy to seek
immediately, information on the financial resources of all new
recruits and to obtain control over these resources by false
representations made to the recruits. When the recruit thereafter
questions representations made to him, it is Church policy to threaten
the person with being declared an SP which would result in the
forwarding of his "PC" folder to the Guardian's Office in Los Angeles
and Clearwater, Florida, to be used for the purposes previously
described.

9. I also know from my experience in Scientology, that the Guardian's
Office of each local organization is controlled' by and reports to the
U.S. Guardian's Office in Los Angeles. In turn, the U.S. Guardian's
Office in Los Angeles reports directly to Clearwater, Florida. I also
know that there is a telex connection between the U.S. Guardian's
Office in Los Angeles and the Clearwater Headquarters of Scientology.
I myself used the telex system in Las Vegas and sent and received
messages which were all in code to Los Angeles and to Clearwater,
Florida. The Guardian's Office issued a press release and wrote
letters to the media containing information from my PC files. (See
Exhibit 1 attached hereto.)

10. When I joined the Church of Scientology in 1971 and throughout
the period I was involved in the organization up to May, 1979, I read
numerous publications containing numerous representations issued by
the Church of Scientology of California which I relied upon, paid
money for, and which were the reason I worked for the organization and
paid money to it. These representations are set forth in my Third
Amended Complaint in condensed form, in Paragraphs 9 and 12, and some
of the publications which I read and relied upon are quoted in part in
Paragraph 7 of the Third Amended Complaint. I specifically relied
upon all of the representations in Paragraph 9 of the Third Amended
Complaint about the academic credentials and background of L. Ron
Hubbard as a graduate of George Washington University, Princeton
University and a nuclear physicist. I specifically relied upon his
naval background, that he was a 4 year, wounded, combat officer, who
healed and cured his war wounds with Scientology, Dianetics and
Auditing. I specifically relied upon the fact that the Church of
Scientology was a scientific organization, that its publications such
as set forth in Paragraph 7 said, it was an exact science, such as
chemistry, biology, etc., which science was developed by a scientist
and nuclear physicist, L. Ron Hubbard. I was specifically told that
Scientology used the term "Church" and "Religion" only for "tax
purposes" and "for the Government"; and throughout the period
1971-1979, everyone who was solicited by the "Church" in Las Vegas
that I knew was told the same thing, namely that Scientology was only
a "religion" for tax purposes, but it was not based on faith but on
science as exact as physics. It was "Church" policy to tell new
recruits called "raw meat" that a Catholic, Jew, Protestant,
etc. could join the "Church" of Scientology because it was a
"science", not a "religion". In fact, there is a specific, written
"Church" policy which states that the "religious nature" of
Scientology, "is entirely a matter for accountants and solicitors".
It was common knowledge and "Church" policy at the Las Vegas Org, at
the Church of Scientology of California, "Flag" headquarters in
Clearwater, Florida and wherever the Church operates, that the
"religious thing", which was also referred to as the "Minister's Mock
Up" and was a cover to protect the "Church" from the government. I
was also told that the "religious thing" only meant that Scientology
obeyed the law and worked to help mankind, but no belief was
necessary.

11. The representations made to me which are set forth in Paragraphs
9 and 12 of my Third Amended Complaint were made and I relied upon
them in a wholly secular nonreligious context. I would never have
paid money or joined the Church if I was told it was a "religion".
Later, after being in the "Church" for many years it was common
knowledge among the staff hierarchy and it was always "Church" policy
coming down from our superiors that the primary objective was to tell
people anything to get them into the "Org" and "get their money".

12. The position asserted by the Church of Scientology in Court that
it is a religion and that its members, including me, joined and paid
money to it on the representation that the "scientific basis of
auditing" etc. was really a matter of religion or faith is an utter
falsehood. There was no religious context of any nature in the making
of any of the 'representations, promises and "guarantees" made to me.

13. In the Clearwater hearings, I answered a question asked of me
about whether the Church of Scientology held itself out to be a
religion in the affirmative, which only meant in that context that the
Church holds itself out to the government to be a religion for tax
purposes. This is the policy of the Church. There is no religious
context to any promises or representations made during the
solicitation process or while a member.

14. For example, the excerpted portions of various Scientology
publications set forth in Paragraph 7 of my Complaint are merely a
small number of examples of the type of representations made in
Scientology publications to solicit people to buy them and take
courses. Those representations and thousands of others are made on
one uniform premise: "scientology is an exact science on the order of
the physical sciences developed by a Scientist, L. Ron Hubbard."

15. When I paid thousands of dollars to the "Church", contributed 5
years of work, I did so on the continuing representations that we were
building a scientific organization, that I would be paid, that I would
work directly with Hubbard, that my medical, dental, and living
expenses would be provided, that my career and educational
opportunities would be expanded. This is what everyone is told. I
did not pay $13,000 for courses on the representation that Scientology
was a religious faith to which if I should make a contribution, I
would be saved and would live "eternal life". This is the impression
the lawyers are trying to create in the Courts. That is an outright
fabrication. I paid money and other people paid money because we were
"guaranteed" we would get specific, earthly benefits, like a higher
I.Q. That is the only context in which Scientology sells its courses
and solicits people on the street. No one would have paid anything if
we told them they were buying "religion". The "religious" position
now
asserted before the Court, as Hubbard says "is entirely a matter for
accountants and solicitors". We operated a business to make money,
and sold specific books, courses and material for specific prices
based on specific representations that Scientology would
"scientifically guarantee" specific benefits, such as cures from
obesity, colds, headache, cancer, etc. Throughout 1979, when I
discovered Hubbard was a fraud, I realized how much I had been
defrauded.

16. I was required to sign many forms at the time I joined the
"Church" and in later years. Most of the time I did not know what I
was signing and the common "line" was that the forms were used to
protect the "Church" from the Government. I was told that and I told
other people the same thing. From the time I joined Scientology until
the time I left, everyone I knew and dealt with was continually told
and believed that the "Government" was our "enemy" to which we should
always apply the Fair Game Law. To this day, I do not know what forms
I signed, what their contents were, etc., but I do know that the
Church applied the Fair Game Law to all of its "enemies" which
includes using information and documents procured from Church members
by any means possible, fraudulent or otherwise.

17. Upon information and belief I have been brutally and viciously
harassed for almost 3 years pursuant to the Fair Game Doctrine by the
Church of Scientology. Church agents contacted my place of employment
as a result of which I lost my job. Church agents have called my
friends and neighbors accusing me of child beating, promiscuity, drug
usage. I have been followed, threatened, harassed, sued twice (both
dismissed), had my auditing information disclosed to the media. My
lawyers have had documents stolen from them about my case. My child
has been followed, kept under surveillance, called by telephone,
contacted in person. Church agents have tried to influence my
ex-husband to take my child away. "Operations" were implemented to
"separate" me from my lawyer, my husband and my child. As a result of
all of the above, I live in perpetual fear and I am presently in a
condition of almost complete mental and emotional collapse. I do not
presently feel that I can survive beyond September 1982 knowing that
the Church will "attack" me ever more aggressively as the law suit
continues. Church "policy" is very specific about "attacking"
"enemies" and "traitors" of which I am one, and elaborate "operations"
have to be implemented against me pursuant to "policy". These
policies have never changed.

18. As the HCO Area Secretary in Las Vegas, I had personal knowledge
that the Church of Scientology of California controlled and dominated
every phase of the Church operation in Nevada including finances,
solicitation policies, publications, prices, governing policies,
criminal activities, etc. Control by Church of Scientology of
California was exercised by Flag agents, the Guardian's Office, and
the Hubbard Communications Office. All members of all Boards of
Directors were required to resign in advance of their appointment and
the resignations were held by the Church of Scientology of California.

19. I did not discover the fact that Hubbard's academic credentials,
naval background, professional qualifications as a nuclear physicist,
research history, and case studies were all false, until 1979-1981. I
did not discover the fact that there was, therefore, no scientific
validation of Hubbard's claims and representations, and no scientific
basis for making such representations until 1979-1981. I did not
receive the benefits promised to me such as wages, health care, room
and board or courses as represented between 1971 and 1979, but it was
continually represented to me that those benefits were forthcoming
right up to 1979, and in the last several years, 1976-1979, my mind
was firmly indoctrinated with the fact that Scientology would provide
all of the promised items. It was not until 1979-1981 that I learned
that the financial control mechanisms established by Hubbard were such
that the representations made to me between 1971-1979 were fraudulent
when made, because Hubbard took all of the money and left each Org
with only enough to continue in the manner it did for 7 years.

20. The books that I was sold did not comply with the Judgment of the
Court in the Article or Device case and I specifically never saw any
publication which contained the "Warning" required by that case in 11
point leaded type on the title page on the cover page. I do recall
the organization placing some "stickers" in some of the books about
the religious nature of Scientology. However, these stickers were
never placed in the books sold to me. The practice of putting the
stickers in some of the books was not done until 1977-78, and I was
told that it had something to do with the government and taxes. I
have since learned from my attorney in the last several years about
the required Federal Judgment. If I had known that a Federal Court in
1971 had said that Scientology representations in its publications
were false, misleading, etc. and that Hubbard's credentials were all
falsified, I would not have relied on the representations made to me.

21. If I had known that the Church of Scientology throughout the
period 1968-79 was actively engaged in elaborate programs to break
into, burglarize, and steal from state and federal agencies, defame
and smear people with elaborate espionage programs to destroy anyone
who stood in Hubbard's path, I would not have worked for the
organization or given them money.

Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury

[date unreadable]

La Venda Van Schaick

Diane Richardson
ref...@neont.com

Ted Mayett

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In <4o0cuk$j...@clark.zippo.com> ref...@neont.com (Diane Richardson)
writes:

All I'm seeing is a lot of noise to detract from the real crimes being
committed by the cult.

Homes continue to be wrecked. New people continue to fall under the
spell. Arrests are being made. People are immersed in litigation.
Who has their job threatened next. Who's mother is next for
harassement. Mine maybe. Is it time yet for another Paulette Cooper?

The space not being used by "Maples" noise is being filled by this type
of noise.

Good job OSA.
But the internet is still not handled. Not till the falsehoods in the
web pages are dealt with. I suppose that is next. I suggest you start
with Tilman's page. There is bound to be an error or two in the
celebrity's FAQ.

Lavenda and Fishman, over and over, day after day. With hardly a
break. I have about 190 posts archived on one Lavenda thread alone.
And here is a new one starting. And this is the last I look at it, and
I don't care who reply's. I just hope the cult is the only one to
follow it.

This is perhaps the most dangerous cult in history. Lavenda threads
are just a distraction.
The cult is trying to take over this NG. Wake up people.

--------------------
I really don't care whether you read my posts or not, Martin. Perhaps
you've let that "a.r.s. studmuffin" thing go to your head. What I
DON'T like to be accused of is dead agenting, when all I'm doing is
asking the same level of proof from Steven Fishman that I would ask
from anyone else posting to this newsgroup.
--------------------

I've never been asked a thing. But then I'm not taking them to court
at this time either. Well my turn for questions is coming. Remember,
I gamble for a living. It's a good starting point.

Brian Boru

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

[posted & e-mailed]

In article <4o1drj$o...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>,

Ted Mayett <ted...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>All I'm seeing is a lot of noise to detract from the real crimes being
>committed by the cult.

Ted, do you really think Dennis, Diane and others are focusing on Fishman
to avoid talking about CoS crimes? All this debating was brought about by
Fishman's voluminous posts here, and the release of his book.

>Homes continue to be wrecked. New people continue to fall under the
>spell. Arrests are being made. People are immersed in litigation.
>Who has their job threatened next. Who's mother is next for
>harassement. Mine maybe. Is it time yet for another Paulette Cooper?
>
>The space not being used by "Maples" noise is being filled by this type
>of noise.

Were Fishman's posts noise as well? Would it be noise if he started
posting the same sorts of things he used to?

Help me out here, which sorts of posts do you want more of, which sorts do
you want less of, and why in each case?

>Good job OSA.

OSA has nothing to do with it. Well, they have everything to do with
Maple and his clones. But the reaction against Fishman is entirely
home-grown.

>But the internet is still not handled. Not till the falsehoods in the
>web pages are dealt with. I suppose that is next. I suggest you start
>with Tilman's page. There is bound to be an error or two in the
>celebrity's FAQ.

This spam campaign seems to be the thing to deal with at the moment, and
the Grady & Keith show.

>Lavenda and Fishman, over and over, day after day. With hardly a
>break. I have about 190 posts archived on one Lavenda thread alone.
>And here is a new one starting. And this is the last I look at it, and
>I don't care who reply's. I just hope the cult is the only one to
>follow it.
>
>This is perhaps the most dangerous cult in history.

Yes, they certainly are. And every piece of reliable evidence to counter
it must be brought to light. But along the way we're bound to run into
some claims that aren't reliable. They need to be examined, discussed,
investigated and evaluated. We cannot and should not hold up every claim
that comes along against them, just because it damages them.

>Lavenda threads are just a distraction.

Can't jettison that without dropping Fishman in general. Can we?

>The cult is trying to take over this NG. Wake up people.

I think it may be time for Wabbit Hunters II.

-brian

h3

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <4o0cuk$j...@clark.zippo.com>, ref...@neont.com wrote:

> Lavenda Van Schaick swore out an affidavit relating harassment she had
> received from the "Church" of Scientology[tm] while she was suing them
> for, among other things, intention inflictional of emotional distress.
> The full text of the declaration as it appears in FACTNet is appended
> below.
>
> Interestingly, FACTNet states that the date of this document is
> illegible and it does not include the date on which it was sworn out
> to a notary public. Nevertheless, it is quite simple to estimate a
> date from the contents of the affidavit itself. It appears to have
> been written in the first half of 1982 -- before May of 1982, to be
> specific.
>
> Lavenda Van Schaick mentions, in paragraph 7, that a Gary Klinger of
> the Guardian's Office was sent to her home to offer $8,000 for
> "Church" documents which the "Church" believed Lavenda had in her
> possession.
>
> Lavenda Van Schaick makes no mention whatever of the rape of her
> sister Lisa, or the retrieval of documents from Lisa Van Schaick's
> apartment.
>
> Steven Fishman claims that the rape of Lisa Van Schaick occurred on 10
> Apr 1981. If this event actually occurred, why was it not mentioned
> in a declaration Lavenda Van Schaick swore out nearly one year later?
> This document was intended to detail the abuse she had received from
> the "Church" of Scientology[tm].

also, LVS appears to reside in Los Vegas NV, and not in
Florida where i believe Lonesome Squirrel places her.

[clip]

-- see...@ix.netcom.com

Cat Davidson-Hall

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In article <seekon-2305...@sjx-ca11-23.ix.netcom.com>,
see...@ix.netcom.com (h3) wrote:

> also, LVS appears to reside in Los Vegas NV, and not in
> Florida where i believe Lonesome Squirrel places her.

The phone number Lavenda gives has a Washington state area code:

>> Lavenda VanSchaick 206 445 9449

Cat
SP4, KoX

--
"I wanted to know the exact dimensions of hell. Does this sound
simple? Fuck you." - Sonic Youth

"One day he's going to kill me, and he'll get away with it because
he's O.J." - Nicole Brown

David Mayo

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

On Thu, 23 May 1996 00:34:39 GMT, ref...@neont.com (Diane Richardson)
wrote:

[snip of coherent analysis by Diane Richardson]

>AFFIDAVIT OF LA VENDA VAN SCHAICK

[snip of non relevant paras]

>7. In my own case, after I left Scientology, and informed the Church
>that I intended to sue it for defrauding me of approximately $13,000,
>the Guardian's Office in Clearwater, Florida, routed the contents of
>my "PC" folder to the Church in Boston which wrote a letter to my
>attorney, Michael J. Flynn and without my permission, disclosed the
>contents of my "PC" folder. The contents of this folder contained in
>part material that I had disclosed during auditing and it also
>contains falsehoods inserted by the Church. I did not give the Church
>permission to disclose this information and it was sent to Attorney
>Flynn for purposes of depriving me of my legal right to sue the
>Church. Thereafter, the Guardian's Office sent an individual named
>Gary Klinger to my home. At that time I took from him a document

[note misspelling of "Klingler"]

>which I now have in my possession wherein it is stated that he is to
>threaten me with extortion and offer me $8,000 in exchange for
>documents of the Church, which the Church believes I now have in my
>possession. Based on my experience and knowledge of the Church, I
>believe that these orders came from Clearwater, Florida.

[...]

>9. I also know from my experience in Scientology, that the Guardian's
>Office of each local organization is controlled' by and reports to the
>U.S. Guardian's Office in Los Angeles. In turn, the U.S. Guardian's
>Office in Los Angeles reports directly to Clearwater, Florida. I also
>know that there is a telex connection between the U.S. Guardian's
>Office in Los Angeles and the Clearwater Headquarters of Scientology.
>I myself used the telex system in Las Vegas and sent and received
>messages which were all in code to Los Angeles and to Clearwater,
>Florida. The Guardian's Office issued a press release and wrote
>letters to the media containing information from my PC files. (See
>Exhibit 1 attached hereto.)

The paragraph above is quite inaccurate. The U.S. G.O. was in Los
Angeles but it did not report to Cleawater, Florida.

" ... the Clearwater Headquarters of Scientology." is also false.

Why is this important?

1. In this affadavit, the name "Klingler" is misspelled "Klinger" (the
*only* place I have seen it so misspelled) until Fishman misspelled the
name as "Klinger".

2. In Fishman's L.S. he describes the ficititious "SO GO" unit with a
"Combat I C" that briefed and ran missions or ops in Clearwater.

IMHO, the above is *conclusive evidence* that Fishman manufactured the
whole story of his "SO GO" briefing, Spurlock's presence/participation and
the "rape and theft" of "LRH O/W writeups" (that could not have existed)
out of having read this LaVenda V. S. affadavit from FACTnet.

Otherwise the SAME TWO ERRORS would not have existed in LaVenda's
affadavit and Fishman's tale.

(There is a plausible explanation, in my mind, for LaVenda incorrectly
alleging that Clearwater was the Scn Headquarters, at the time of this
affadavit. I will wait to see whether anyone comes up with this reason
and post the answer in a few days.)

Additonal but non-essential information:
The U.S. G.O. reported to the G.O. WW (World Wide which was the
headquarters of the G.O.) at Saint Hill Manor, E.G., UK. From GO WW some
reports went to Mary Sue Hubbard and on to L. Ron Hubbard and orders came
back from LRH to MSH to the G.O. More rarely, reports went from US GO
directly to MSH and LRH and orders sometimes went directly from LRH
and/or MSH to the U.S. GO.

[rest of affadavit]

>Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury
>
>[date unreadable]

[but correctly placed in 1982 by D.R.]

>La Venda Van Schaick

>Diane Richardson
>ref...@neont.com

Rev. David Mayo
"Oh, what a tangled tale we weave, when first we practice to 'deSteve'."

"So many have fallen, yet so far left to go ... "
<ma...@lightlink.com> (finger for key)
PGP ID: 1024/4D5EE559 1996/01/04
PGP Fingerprint: 0D 69 92 87 79 2F 38 72 FE 03 CE 51 31 D5 6D E9

Eddie Wolfe

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Diane Richardson wrote:

> Lavenda Van Schaick swore out an affidavit relating harassment she had
> received

*"she had receivced"* which does not necessarily include abuse *others*
had recieved.

> from the "Church" of Scientology[tm] while she was suing them
> for, among other things, intention inflictional of emotional distress.
> The full text of the declaration as it appears in FACTNet is appended
> below.
>
> Interestingly, FACTNet states that the date of this document is
> illegible and it does not include the date on which it was sworn out
> to a notary public. Nevertheless, it is quite simple to estimate a
> date from the contents of the affidavit itself. It appears to have
> been written in the first half of 1982 -- before May of 1982, to be
> specific.

FACTnet must be in on the conspiracy.

> Lavenda Van Schaick mentions, in paragraph 7, that a Gary Klinger of
> the Guardian's Office was sent to her home to offer $8,000 for
> "Church" documents which the "Church" believed Lavenda had in her
> possession.

What documents? I thought Steve was lying when he claimed to have
recovered documents that Dennis Erlich could not have existed in the 40's
and 1954 (or whatever the fuch it was.)

> Lavenda Van Schaick makes no mention whatever of the rape of her
> sister Lisa, or the retrieval of documents from Lisa Van Schaick's
> apartment.
>
> Steven Fishman claims that the rape of Lisa Van Schaick occurred on 10
> Apr 1981. If this event actually occurred, why was it not mentioned
> in a declaration Lavenda Van Schaick swore out nearly one year later?

Because, as you said, it was about "abuses she had suffered."

She also does not mention in this affidavit that she "stole" church
documents (LRH's O/W write-ups) and thus had them in her possession to be
stolen form her. I wonder why that is?

Eddie Wolfe

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Brian Boru wrote:

> [posted & e-mailed]
>
> In article <4o1drj$o...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>,
> Ted Mayett <ted...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> >All I'm seeing is a lot of noise to detract from the real crimes being
> >committed by the cult.
>
> Ted, do you really think Dennis, Diane and others are focusing on Fishman
> to avoid talking about CoS crimes? All this debating was brought about by
> Fishman's voluminous posts here, and the release of his book.

It is most likely NOT deliberate, but he effect is the same.

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 01:07:57 -0700
From: Eddie Wolfe <Ewo...@wnstar.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.alicia-slvrstone
Subject: Re: Read this, please.

Adam Jaume wrote:

> "M.A.M." <mman...@haywire.csuhayward.edu> wrote:
> >
> > In my message, did I ever STATE or IMPLY that I'm superior to people who
> > ONLY appreciate her for her beauty???

don't know. I don't recall what you wrote. I don't frequent this group
enough to see a response to what I wrote. By chance, I caught an entire
repost of what you said to me without any quotation of what I said.
Good job, Adam.

> > Sorry if it seemed that way, but
> > really, I was only stating my opinion.

Like, I wasn't. But only *your* opinion is okay. Someone else posts
*their* opinion and it's a fucking crime. *There's* evidence of your
belief in your superiority. Your opinion is just your opinion, but my
opinion is much more sinister than just my opinion.

> > I think YOU'RE the one who thinks
> > you're superior with this whole analyzation of my posting!!!

Were you not analyzing others?

> > If you think "the lady in Misery and Delores Claiborne" is SOOOOO much more
> > talented than Alicia,

Like I said, "SOOOOO much more"

> > then why couldn't you even remember her name???

How can you compare my memory of an actress I've seen twice with that
actresses ability to act? Pull your head out.

> > It's
> > Kathy Bates. It just goes to show that "pharisees" like you think you
> > know everything, when you don't.

Because I couldn't recall an actresses name at the moment, I'm a
"pharisee?" And furthermore, that shows that I think I know everything?

Your logic is seriously flawed.

> > Unfortunately, your message holds a lot
> > of truth. People like YOU can't appreciate a person's acting abilities
> > enough to recall his/her name.

How is recalling the name of an actor/actress equal to appreciating their
talent?

I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of actors and actresses and don't
recall a portion of their names. How does that reflect upon each of my
appreciation of their abilities? Is it a pre-requisite to appreciation to
memorize an actors name?

> > And where do you go off calling me and others puritanical? I never said
> > there was anything wrong with being attracted to Alicia.

It seems thats what your post was about.

> > I think lots
> > of male stars are attractive, but what I was basically saying in my
> > message was: Can't anyone look past Alicia's looks and appreciate her acting
> > abilities as well as her personality? A lot of people in this newsgroup
> > hunger to see her nude...fine...all I said was, "I'm sick of opening this
> > newsgroup only to find people requesting nude pictures of her..."

Can't a person appreciate her as an actor and also appreciate her
physical beauty?

> > That's
> > only my opinion. Alicia has stated numerous times that she's not
> > interested in people seeing her nude!

Thats an odd statement. How can she express in interest in what other
people see.

> >I just think her wishes are
> > being violated and disregarded.

How could they be, unless she poses nude, (which would violate her
interest in what other people see?) A fake nude of her is not her.

> > I mean, how would YOU like it if
> > people were producing fake pictures of you naked and exchanging them
> > with others through USENET newsgroups?

I really wouldn't care.

> > Did it ever occur to you that
> > maybe Alicia has an unfavorable opinion of the Internet because of THIS
> > and morons claiming that they're her?

I don't know what her opinion is of the internet, and whatever her
opinion is of it is irrelevent. I'm not concerned with appealing to
Alicia's idea of how the internet should be.

> > It may be YOUR general opinion that guys wish they were the objects of her
> > affection and girls wish they looked like her, but not ALL of Alicia's
> > fans fit into these categories.

General is the key word. I think that statement is generally true. That
is a large part of what "fan clubs" are all about.

> > I'm female and I know others who think
> > she's a sweet, caring person and a wonderful actress.

How would you or others know if she is sweet or caring?

> > Obviously, you are
> > among the ones who DON'T agree.

I don't know what she is *really* like, so I wouldn't be foolish enough
to presume anything about her.

> > You postulate that just because she's a
> > Hollywood actress, the persona she generates in the public eye is all
> > just an act. Can you honestly say that you KNOW Ms. Silverstone and have
> > evidence to prove this?

That was a close quote, but not close enough. "All just an act" is not
entirely accurate. Do you think that when celebrities are interviewed on
TV, they are totally themselves and have no regard for their "image."

I never claimed to KNOW Ms. Silverstone. Do you KNOW the honorable Ms.?

> Well said M.A.M. I totally agree.

Not at all well said. If you had a bit more intelligene you might've seen
that.

> Adam

Rod Keller

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

:
: 2. In Fishman's L.S. he describes the ficititious "SO GO" unit with a
: "Combat I C" that briefed and ran missions or ops in Clearwater.
:
: IMHO, the above is *conclusive evidence* that Fishman manufactured the
: whole story of his "SO GO" briefing, Spurlock's presence/participation and
: the "rape and theft" of "LRH O/W writeups" (that could not have existed)
: out of having read this LaVenda V. S. affadavit from FACTnet.

It's something to keep in mind, but it's hardly "conclusive evidence". It
sounds like the most common misspelling of Klingler, probably something
people with that name have to deal with it every week. If you had found an
_unusual_ misspelling, it would be stronger evidence.

--
Rod Keller / rke...@voicenet.com
Black Hat #1 / Expert of the Toilet / Golden Gate Bridge Club

Neal Hamel

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

On 25 May 1996 21:58:52 -0400, David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

Fascinating . . .

OK, David, you are gaining valuable points towards the coveted "Lord
Peter Wimsey" award. Your facts are unassailable. (Everyone take
note, the above paragraph has, in a nutshell, the command structure of
the GO. The occasional bypassing of GO WW from the GO US directly to
MSH and LRH was an operational necessity brought about by the presence
of LRH/Flag in Clearwater. )

The theory that Fishman's story was concocted by his reading the
FACTnet materials, also suggested elsewhere by the currently
beleaguered D. Erlich, is intriguing.

Point #1 about Gary Klingler is strong evidence to back the theory of
FACTnet as the source for Fishman's experiences. I, personally,
believe it is the explanation. (n.b. Klingler was originally from Las
Vegas before his posting to the US GO. There were two Klingler
brothers and unless I have gotten them confused, Gary was a key person
in the legal restructuring of the CofS in the late 70s.)

Point #2 about the "GO SO briefing" is not quite as strong. I would
suspect there is data elsewhere that Fishman may have used to
manufacturer this 'factoid'.

[For the benefit of others reading this. . .]
There was a Control Information Center (CIC) that Hubbard instituted
in a HCOPL. Hubbard said he modelled it after the "Combat Information
Center" concept of the military. The GO never did have a "Combat IC".
However, the stated model from which Hubbard created the CIC could
well have confused Fishman as he constructed his narrative.

I am also intrigued regarding your speculation that there is someone
who put Fishman up to this. Do you also think that this person was
manipulating Fishman when these charges first surfaced before
Fishman's imprisonment?

-Neal H.

(p/m)

Cornelius Krasel

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

This has nothing to do with the recent Fishman bashing.

I noted in Lavenda's declaration the following sentence:

>In fact, there is a specific, written "Church" policy
>which states that the "religious nature" of Scientology, "is entirely
>a matter for accountants and solicitors".

Anybody has any idea which PL Lavenda is referring to here?

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany email: pha...@rzbox.uni-wuerzburg.de SP3 */
/* "Science is the game we play with God to find out what His rules are." */

Tilman Hausherr

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In <4oad5m$14...@power5.rz.uni-hohenheim.de>, kra...@wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
(Cornelius Krasel) wrote:

>This has nothing to do with the recent Fishman bashing.
>
>I noted in Lavenda's declaration the following sentence:
>

>>In fact, there is a specific, written "Church" policy
>>which states that the "religious nature" of Scientology, "is entirely
>>a matter for accountants and solicitors".
>

>Anybody has any idea which PL Lavenda is referring to here?

"Scientology 1970 is being planned on a religious organization
basis throughout the world. This will not upset in any way the
usual activities of any organization. It is entirely a matter
for accountants and solicitors."
(HCOPL 29 October 1962 "Religion")

Dean Benjamin

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96
to David Mayo

I have a trivial fact to add to this discussion. I say "trivial"
because, so far as I can tell, this fact does not affect David Mayo's
conclusions.

The name "Gary Klinger" -- Mayo says correct spelling is "Klingler" --
appears in another affidavit associated with the Van Schaick case:
that of Carol Garrity, who was a G.O. agent between November 1978 and
July 1980. Most likely, both affidavits (Lavenda's and Carol's) were
prepared under the direction of Lavenda's attorney, Michael Flynn.
The relevant paragraph follows:

9. The Guardian's Office devised a covert operation to stop
Attorney Flynn's client, LaVenda Van Schaick, from speaking out
against the Scientology organization. The program was code named
"Shake and Bake" and pursuant to the program, G.O. agents,
including Gary Klinger, were sent to Massachusetts to interrogate
Ms. Van Schaick and to use various means to have her divorce her
husband and fire Attorney Flynn, including the use of her auditing
information.

The remainder of this post consists of
(a) David Mayo's analysis of the significance of "Klinger",
and (b) Carol Garrity's affidavit (yet another account of dirty tricks
played in accord with Hubbard's "Fair Game").

--

(A) DAVID MAYO'S ANALYSIS

In Lavenda Van Schaicks's affidavit, point 7, she said:
> Thereafter, the Guardian's Office sent an individual named
> Gary Klinger to my home. At that time I took from him a document

David Mayo first observed ...
> [note misspelling of "Klingler"]

... and went on to draw some conclusions about Steve Fishman based on
points 7 & 9 of LaVenda's affidavit (her full affidavit is webbed at
<http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ignaz/fishy/#AFFIDAVITS):

> The paragraph above is quite inaccurate. The U.S. G.O. was in Los
> Angeles but it did not report to Cleawater, Florida.
>
> " ... the Clearwater Headquarters of Scientology." is also false.
>
> Why is this important?
>
> 1. In this affadavit, the name "Klingler" is misspelled "Klinger" (the
> *only* place I have seen it so misspelled) until Fishman misspelled the
> name as "Klinger".
>
> 2. In Fishman's L.S. he describes the ficititious "SO GO" unit with a
> "Combat I C" that briefed and ran missions or ops in Clearwater.
>
> IMHO, the above is *conclusive evidence* that Fishman manufactured the
> whole story of his "SO GO" briefing, Spurlock's presence/participation and
> the "rape and theft" of "LRH O/W writeups" (that could not have existed)
> out of having read this LaVenda V. S. affadavit from FACTnet.
>
> Otherwise the SAME TWO ERRORS would not have existed in LaVenda's
> affadavit and Fishman's tale.
>
> (There is a plausible explanation, in my mind, for LaVenda incorrectly
> alleging that Clearwater was the Scn Headquarters, at the time of this
> affadavit. I will wait to see whether anyone comes up with this reason
> and post the answer in a few days.)

--

(B) CAROL GARRITY'S AFFIDAVIT

From the FACTNet archives -- one of about 30 affidavits in
<http://www.xenu.org/factnet/SCN/FILES/LEGAL/MANYAFFS.TXT>
<http://www.ex-cult.org/Groups/Factnet/alltext/scn/legal/manyaffs.txt>

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF MASSACHUSETTS

LA VENDA VAN )
SCHAICK, et al )
)
Plaintiffs )
) CIVIL ACTION
v. ) NO. 79-2491-G
)
CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF )
CALIFORNIA, et al, )
)
Defendants )

AFFIDAVIT OF CAROL GARRITY

I, Carol Garrity, being first duly sworn, depose and say:

1. I was a member of the Church of Scientology from April 1975
through July 1980 and during that time I became a staff member and
worked full time for the Scientology Organization from August 1976
through July 1980.

2. Between November 1978 and July 1980 I was a member of the
"Guardian's Office" of the Church of Scientology. The Guardian's
Office, more commonly referred to as the "G.O." by Scientologists, is
responsible for intelligence gathering, covert operations and
activities, spying and public relations. The Guardian's Office
administers "front" groups such as schools and drug programs which are
designed to make money. I have personal knowledge of the foregoing
matters and participated in various "operations" conducted by the
G.O."

3. The Guardian's Office headquarters in the United States is in
California. However, the Guardian's Office has the power to go into a
local Scientology Church and literally take over any section of it or
the entire local church if necessary. This is covered in a policy
letter written by L. Ron Hubbard, entitled "The Guardian". There is
another G.O. headquarters at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater,
Florida.

4. The Guardian's Office activities are conducted pursuant to various
Scientology policies including "Fair Game Doctrine" which states:

"Fair Game, may be deprived of property or injured by any means by any
Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed."

5. I have personal knowledge that the Scientology organization has
actively and covertly conducted operations against Attorney Michael
Flynn in an attempt to get him disbarred and to destroy him and
thereby eliminate him as a representative of those individuals
victimized by the Scientology organization. Attorney Flynn was
classified as a top "Enemy" of the Church of Scientology and I was
sent numerous "orders" to "attack" him in the news media with a "black
PR" campaign.

6. One such operation occurred between January and July 1980, when
the Guardian's Office conducted a series of covert operations to
infiltrate the law office of Michael J. Flynn by placing a "plant"
whose code name was "Oscar" and whose real name was William Broderick.
I am aware that other "operations" were proceeding against Attorney
Flynn to get someone "inside" his office.

7. Prior to July 18, 1980, as an Assistant Guardian, I had numerous
conversations with Attorney Steven Burris in Las Vegas, NV, who
represents the Church of Scientology there. Conversations related to
the intent of the Church to find some basis to bring law suits against
Michael Flynn and those in his office and also law suits against
LaVenda Van Schaick, Ernest and Dell Hartwell and Eddie Walters.
These lawsuits were to be brought against these people pursuant to the
policy of the Church of Scientology which states that lawsuits are to
be used to harass and attack people who seek to expose Scientology.

8. In one of my conversations with Attorney Burris in July 1980, he
asked me to sign an affidavit in connection with a proposed suit
against Van Schaick, the Hartwells and Kevin Flynn. I told him that I
could not verify the information in the affidavit. Attorney Burris
told me that he was aware of the covert agent used by the Church of
Scientology. Attorney Burris asked me if I was "compelled to tell the
truth" in the affidavit. I told Attorney Burris that I had always
told the truth and he said that he would get someone else for the
affidavit.

9. The Guardian's Office devised a covert operation to stop Attorney
Flynn's client, LaVenda Van Schaick, from speaking out against the
Scientology organization. The program was code named "Shake and Bake"
and pursuant to the program, G.O. agents, including Gary Klinger, were
sent to Massachusetts to interrogate Ms. Van Schaick and to use
various means to have her divorce her husband and fire Attorney Flynn,
including the use of her auditing information.

10. The Guardian's Office perused Ms. Van Schaick's auditing files,
which contained the most personal and intimate details of her life,
and extracted confidential disclosures for the purpose of using it
against her in "Operation Shake and Bake".

11. The practice of reviewing confidential auditing files and
extracting private and intimate details of an individual's life is a
common Scientology practice. The data gleaned from an unsuspecting
individual's file is commonly transmitted to "Flag" in Clearwater,
Florida and to the California headquarters for extortion and
blackmail. This practice occurs regularly. I have personal knowledge
of auditing information being sent to Clearwater and California for
this purpose.

12. On one specific occasion, I received a Guardian's Office order
concerning Tonja Burden's auditing information. I was sent from the
Guardian Office's main headquarters in Los Angeles, a document from
Tonja's preclear folder called a "Wants Handled" list. This was a
list of things that Tonja wished to improve herself with through
auditing. I was also sent a list of "overts" and "withholds" which
means transgressions against L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology, etc. The
purpose of a person writing their "wrongs" is the general concept of
confession. This list is only to be used to help the person face
their errors, wrongs, etc. and thereby free the person by having
"confessed". These lists are to be held in strict confidence. I was
sent a huge stack of Tonja's "overts and withholds" write-ups to take
to the Review Journal newspaper, along with the auditing list from her
preclear folder. The purpose of the above orders were to disgrace,
embarrass, humiliate Tonja and make her lose her credibility with the
public and the press, as she had filed a lawsuit against Hubbard and
Scientology and according to Scientology policy, anyone who does this
is an evil person called a "suppressive person" and must be dealt with
accordingly. I carried out my orders, however, her auditing
information was not printed in the papers, as the news media thought
it was a disgusting breach of privacy, which it was.

13. When I was first introduced to "auditing" or counselling in the
Church of Scientology, I was told that the information or
"confessions" I gave to my auditor would be held in strict confidence
and that the only persons who had access to my auditing files were the
auditor and the "case supervisor" -- the person in Scientology who
"programmed" the cases and decided what auditing the person should
have and buy. This representation is made to anyone who undertakes
"auditing" and it is shown to them in writing in the "Auditor's Code".

14. After I joined staff at the Las Vegas Organization, I had many
occasions to witness that many other people within Scientology had
access to the auditing files. These people could go to the technical
division and take the folders and read them and study them and send
information from the folders to other Scientology executives if they
were ordered to, or chose to do so. This included information being
sent to the Church of Scientology of California in Clearwater, which
was regularly done. It was a regular practice in the Church of
Scientology that the Guardian's Office had access to any person's
auditing folders at any time the G.O. chose to take them.

15. The Guardian's Offices throughout the United States including
Clearwater, Florida are run by the United States Guardian's Office
which is part of the Church of Scientology of California. The top
executives and management are at the Church of Scientology of
California, both in Clearwater, Florida and Los Angeles, California.

16. The routine use and circulation of auditing information is done
throughout the United States and outer "missions" send information
from a person's auditing folders to the nearest "Class 4 Org" for
ethics use or intelligence use in the Guardian Office intelligence
files.

17. When "missionaires" from the Church of Scientology of California
would come to Nevada, we were under instructions to give them full
back-up and cooperation and this included revealing to them personal
information about Scientologists and their auditing folders and
intelligence folders, if needed and requested.

18. During executive meetings at the Church of Scientology, on many
occasions the executives would sit and discuss information about staff
members and public-paying person's auditing information.

19. While on staff in the organization, I was in charge of the
division that sold all the auditing and training and books and I was
routinely given information from people's auditing folders so that I
could get them to buy more and more auditing. This was a standard
practice and this information would also be given to "indicate" to the
potential buyer what auditing they should buy next, to "cure" whatever
"insanity" it was they were trying to get help with.

20. All of the above actions uniformly betray the trust that a person
gives to Scientology and their auditor when getting auditing, and this
creates a terrible fear about the possibility of leaving Scientology
and having your innermost thoughts, feelings, desires, actions about
yourself and others revealed to anyone including your parents, spouse,
relatives and the news media.

21. When I thought of leaving Scientology after I realized I had been
tricked and lied to, these actions had me terribly fearful that this
type of blackmail would be inflicted on me.

22. I left the Church of Scientology on July 18, 1980 after being a
staff member for approximately four years. I had become upset and in
fear when I learned that the top leaders of Scientology had been
convicted of felonies in late 1979 and I did not agree with their
conduct of breaking and entering, harassing enemies of the Church,
spying on ex-members and other enemies of the Church and trying to
infiltrate enemies and all the other unlawful and underhanded conduct
conducted by the Church.

23. I had also been told that the alleged crimes top Church leaders
had committed were false and that the people were innocent and being
framed and suffering from "religious persecution". It was uniformly
stated to all Church members that the Church never broke the law and
didn't harass critics or enemies.

24. I hired an attorney in Las Vegas, Nevada to represent me and my
husband when we left Scientology so that we would have in writing and
on record the exact date we left and also to demand the unused monies
on account at the various organizations. My attorney had a letter
hand-delivered to the Church of Scientology of Nevada on July 21, 1981
advising them of our intentions and that any attempt to contact us
would result in a restraining order as we wanted no contact from any
of them.

25. On day later, Maddie Reese, a top Guardian's Office staff member
from Los Angeles called Jane Peterson's house, another former
G.O. member, asking for me. Jane advised her that I was not taking
any calls from any of them and not to call back.

26. I began to receive telephone calls at all hours of the day and
night with people either being silent or hanging up.

27. My husband and I then received a new unlisted telephone number
and shortly thereafter, the calls began again. Sometimes whoever was
calling would ask for a person unknown to me and I would advise them
of that and they would call back over and over and ask for the person.

28. My husband and I moved to a house on February 1, 1981 and
received a listed number and the calls continued.

29. In mid-March, 1981 I went home to discover my home had been
entered, every door in the house opened and my dog had been put
outside in the backyard. The sliding glass screen door had been
pulled off and was laying across the porch. The police came and could
not find a forced entry and a report was not filed.

30. My husband and I filed a complaint against the Church of
Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard and Mary Sue Hubbard in Federal Court in
Los Angeles on July 1, 1981.

31. I arrived home after work on my wedding anniversary, July 21,
1981, to find that my home had been broken into and my husband's
sports bike had been stolen. Said bike was valued of approximately
$2,000.00. The fingerprint people could find no prints other than one
partial footprint in the backyard and that an oily substance had been
sprayed on the windows, sliding glass door and door knobs to
apparently cover prints. A few days later we discovered my husband's
stereo turntable missing and again found the oily substance.

32. I began receiving phone calls from a girl asking "are your
parents there"? I would say she had the wrong number but she would
continue to call back. This was very upsetting as I have never
recovered from my parents' deaths and this was one of the main things
Scientology was supposed to help me with in my auditing (counselling).
Later the same girl started calling and asking for my dad. Finding my
father dead and the related circumstances of his illness and his death
has always been very hard for me to accept and I revealed this whole
situation over and over in my auditing in Scientology.

33. To this day I still receive calls where the person either remains
silent or hangs up when I answer. These seem to occur shortly after I
arrive home from work, even after I work overtime.

34. On July 28, 1981, exactly one week after the July 21, 1981
break-in, I went home to find my home had been broken into again.
This time it was totally ransacked, drawers dumped, closets gone
through and basically a total mess. This time the back bedroom window
had been broken out. We could find nothing stolen on this occasion.
The same officer who had arrived the other two times came again this
time and filed a police report.

35. On September 29, 1981, again I went home to find that my home had
been broken into. The side door screen had been ripped out and the
window opened and this was the point of entry. This time all my
jewelry, wedding rings, keepsakes from my mother and father, my
father's keepsakes from the war and college were all stolen. My
husband's camera equipment was stolen along with some money and other
things. The house had been totally and completely ransacked, every
drawer, box, closet in the house dumped on the floor. The back rooms
were also ransacked and everything dumped. My briefcase with all of
my Scientology papers and correspondence from my attorneys, lawsuit
information had been gone through. The fingerprint people found no
prints, however, did take pictures of the rooms and the briefcase. I
have talked to my neighbors and this is not happening to them. The
police have no leads and none of the stolen goods have shown up around
town that they know of. The police do not know of another house on
our block that has been broken and entered this many times in this
short a time period. The previous owner of the house resided there
for approximately twelve (12) years with only one minor occurrence.
My husband and I have lost money due to insufficient insurance
coverage on the jewelry which we were not aware of and we have had to
invest in solid doors, bolt locks and other locks and have ordered
iron bars for every window in the house. The last three break-ins
have all occurred on a Tuesday, starting with our wedding anniversary.

36. Nothing like this ever happened to me before I left Scientology
in July 1980.

37. The psychological damage done to me while in Scientology combined
with the above harassment, break-ins, and strange occurrences have
caused great mental stress and upset.

38. My friend, Jane Peterson, who was also a Guardian Office staff
member and left Scientology, has received numerous death threats, both
oral and written, since she left Scientology and this is very
upsetting and frightening to me also.

39. I am aware that many similar operations were conducted against
Tonja Burden while I was working for the G.O. I am aware that a
G.O. agent, Bill Broderick was placed in a position to spy on Tonja
Burden and that the G.O. acquired an apartment in Tonja Burden's
apartment building to spy on her and harass her. This is common
practice of the G.O. against its enemies.

Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury this 21st day of May,
1982.

Carol Garrity

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO BEFORE ME THIS 21ST DAY OF MAY, 1982.

(CARRIE B. STEWART) NOTARY PUBLIC

Diane Richardson

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

Eddie Wolfe <Ewo...@wnstar.com> wrote:

>Diane Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Lavenda Van Schaick swore out an affidavit relating harassment she had
>> received

>*"she had receivced"* which does not necessarily include abuse *others*
>had recieved.

She also documents harassment of her family members in this
declaration, Freewolf. You're desperately grasping at straws.

>> from the "Church" of Scientology[tm] while she was suing them
>> for, among other things, intention inflictional of emotional distress.
>> The full text of the declaration as it appears in FACTNet is appended
>> below.
>>
>> Interestingly, FACTNet states that the date of this document is
>> illegible and it does not include the date on which it was sworn out
>> to a notary public. Nevertheless, it is quite simple to estimate a
>> date from the contents of the affidavit itself. It appears to have
>> been written in the first half of 1982 -- before May of 1982, to be
>> specific.

>FACTnet must be in on the conspiracy.

It may well be. I don't know that. Do you?

>> Lavenda Van Schaick mentions, in paragraph 7, that a Gary Klinger of
>> the Guardian's Office was sent to her home to offer $8,000 for
>> "Church" documents which the "Church" believed Lavenda had in her
>> possession.

>What documents? I thought Steve was lying when he claimed to have
>recovered documents that Dennis Erlich could not have existed in the 40's
>and 1954 (or whatever the fuch it was.)

Lavenda does not tell us anything about the documents the "Church"
*believed* that she had in her possession. She also does not verify
whether or not she actually had those documents, only that the "Church
*believed* she had the documents.

The only person claiming to know the content of any documents which
might have been in Lavenda Van Schaick's possession is Steven Fishman.
Since Lavenda Van Schaick was not living in Florida in 1981, it's
pretty obvious that Steven Fishman's story is pure fabrication.

>> Lavenda Van Schaick makes no mention whatever of the rape of her
>> sister Lisa, or the retrieval of documents from Lisa Van Schaick's
>> apartment.
>>
>> Steven Fishman claims that the rape of Lisa Van Schaick occurred on 10
>> Apr 1981. If this event actually occurred, why was it not mentioned
>> in a declaration Lavenda Van Schaick swore out nearly one year later?

>Because, as you said, it was about "abuses she had suffered."

She also details harassment of other family members in her affadavit.

>She also does not mention in this affidavit that she "stole" church
>documents (LRH's O/W write-ups) and thus had them in her possession to be
>stolen form her. I wonder why that is?

I have no idea, Freewolf. Do you have any hunches about it?

Diane Richardson
ref...@neont.com

David Mayo

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

On Sun, 26 May 1996 18:12:53 GMT, smok...@ix.netcom.com (Neal Hamel)
wrote:

>On 25 May 1996 21:58:52 -0400, David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>[ snip ]
>

>Fascinating . . .

[...]

>>(There is a plausible explanation, in my mind, for LaVenda incorrectly
>>alleging that Clearwater was the Scn Headquarters, at the time of this
>>affadavit. I will wait to see whether anyone comes up with this reason
>>and post the answer in a few days.)

Time is up. Here's my guess.

In the early 1980s, (from about 1982 to 1985) there was a push to get a
Grand Jury investigation into Scn going in Clearwater. That, in and of
itself, was probably a good idea. There were valid reasons such as the
staged "hit and run" frame up on the Mayor and planting Scn attorney
Merril Vannier on his staff, etc.. Flynn was one of the main persons
pushing for this Grand Jury investigation. I think the inaccurate
assertions from LaVenda's affadavit (that Clearwater was the headquarters
of Scn, that pc folders were shipped there to be culled and that orders
to harass people such as LaVenda originated from the headquarters in
Clearwater), were intended to add impetus to that attempt, though
inaccurately. Flynn would have to have known that Clearwater was not the
Scn headquarters.

>OK, David, you are gaining valuable points towards the coveted "Lord
>Peter Wimsey" award. Your facts are unassailable. (Everyone take
>note, the above paragraph has, in a nutshell, the command structure of
>the GO. The occasional bypassing of GO WW from the GO US directly to
>MSH and LRH was an operational necessity brought about by the presence
>of LRH/Flag in Clearwater. )

The presence of LRH/Flag in Clearwater was temporary and short lived.
Here are the locations and approx. dates:

LRH/MSH/headquarters aboard ship in the Carribean (last port, Freeport,
Grand Bahama) until September 1975.

LRH/MSH/headquarters to Daytona, FL in Sep 1975 to Nov/Dec 1975.

LRH/MSH/headquarters to Dunedin, FL (near Clearwater) Nov/Dec 1975 to
about mid 1976 (?) and then they moved to La Quinta, CA until April 1979.

MSH moved to Los Angeles, CA during 1978? (but maintained rooms and an
office at La Quinta also).

LRH and Scn headquarters, now WDC, (= CMO INT) moved to Hemet and Gilman
Hot Springs, CA. (LRH left Hemet with the Broekers in February 1980.)

>The theory that Fishman's story was concocted by his reading the
>FACTnet materials, also suggested elsewhere by the currently
>beleaguered D. Erlich, is intriguing.
>
>Point #1 about Gary Klingler is strong evidence to back the theory of
>FACTnet as the source for Fishman's experiences. I, personally,
>believe it is the explanation. (n.b. Klingler was originally from Las
>Vegas before his posting to the US GO. There were two Klingler
>brothers and unless I have gotten them confused, Gary was a key person
>in the legal restructuring of the CofS in the late 70s.)

Yes, Gary Klingler was in GO Legal. His brother's name was Rick
Klingler.

[...]

>I am also intrigued regarding your speculation that there is someone

>who put Fishman up to this. Do you also think that this person was

persons (plural)

(based on the different styles, moods and information in his posts as if
they were written by different people)

>manipulating Fishman when these charges first surfaced before
>Fishman's imprisonment?

No, definitely not before the imprisonment.

I'd guess, sometime during the last year, maybe around August 1995. Just
a guess, mind you.
His recent collaboration with Koos in the last month is, I think,
relatively non-significant.

[p&m'd]

Rev. David Mayo

"So many have fallen, yet so far left to go ... "
<ma...@lightlink.com> (finger for key)
PGP ID: 1024/4D5EE559 1996/01/04
PGP Fingerprint: 0D 69 92 87 79 2F 38 72 FE 03 CE 51 31 D5 6D E9

Diane Richardson

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

smok...@ix.netcom.com (Neal Hamel) wrote:

>On 25 May 1996 21:58:52 -0400, David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:

>[ snip ]

>Fascinating . . .

>>The U.S. G.O. was in Los
>>Angeles but it did not report to Cleawater, Florida.
>>
>> " ... the Clearwater Headquarters of Scientology." is also false.
>>
>>Why is this important?
>>
>>1. In this affadavit, the name "Klingler" is misspelled "Klinger" (the
>>*only* place I have seen it so misspelled) until Fishman misspelled the
>>name as "Klinger".

[snip]

>The theory that Fishman's story was concocted by his reading the
>FACTnet materials, also suggested elsewhere by the currently
>beleaguered D. Erlich, is intriguing.

>Point #1 about Gary Klingler is strong evidence to back the theory of
>FACTnet as the source for Fishman's experiences. I, personally,
>believe it is the explanation. (n.b. Klingler was originally from Las
>Vegas before his posting to the US GO. There were two Klingler
>brothers and unless I have gotten them confused, Gary was a key person
>in the legal restructuring of the CofS in the late 70s.)

I agree as well that the "Klinger" misspelling is strong evidence that
Fishman used the FACTNet files to "enhance his memory" while he was
writing Lonesome Squirrel.

Lavenda was on staff at the Las Vegas Org, so she would have known
Gary Klingler personally. She probably didn't notice the typo in the
typewritten declaration she signed. Fishman would not have know that
it was a misspelling of the guy's real name.

Klingler was, however, a high-profile person in the CoS during this
time period. Here is a news wire story regarding Lavenda's lawsuit
against the "Church". Note that Gary Klingler is identified as a
national spokesperson for the cult.

---------------

The Associated Press

The materials in the AP file were compiled by The Associated Press.
These materials may not be republished without the express written
consent of The Associated Press.

December 13, 1979, Thursday, AM cycle

SECTION: Domestic News

LENGTH: 469 words

HEADLINE: Woman Sues Scientologists for $200 Million over "Mind
Control"
BYLINE: By THOMAS S. BROWN, Associated Press Writer
DATELINE: BOSTON

BODY:
A 29-year-old former member of the Church of Scientology filed a
200 million lawsuit Thursday against the church, charging that the
group has cheated thousands of converts by subjecting them to "mind
control."

Lavenda Van Schaick of Somerville contended in the suit filed in
U.S. District Court here that the church misled her into divorcing her
husband, paying about $13,000 for Scientologist instruction and
working for the church without pay for nine years in Clearwater, Fla.,
and Las Vegas, Nev.

Since she turned against the church, Ms. Van Schaick said,
Scientologists have followed her, subjected her to electronic
"bugging" and leaked details of her private life she had revealed in
counseling sessions.

Scientology officials, who describe their belief as an "applied
religious philosophy," branded the lawsuit "anti-religious" and
"money-motivated."

Ms. Van Schaick's suit seeks compensation not only for herself but
for "thousands" of others who she claims have been defrauded of
$10,000 or more each by Scientology.

The lawsuit also asks that 17 persons, including church founder L.
Ron Hubbard, be removed from power and the that church be placed in
the hands of a federal receiver.

A statement issued by Robert E. Johnson, a local church president,
said Ms. Van Schaick had been offered a refund of her money but that
her attorney refused it. "It looks to us as though what they are
trying to do is grandstand it and make an easy million dollars,"

he charged.

And Gary Klingler, a national church spokesman, estimated that as
many as 3.5 million people have taken Scientology courses in the
United States, including about 20,000 in the Boston area.

He said fees vary but added that a common introductory course,
called "Communication," costs only about $75 and requires about two to
four weeks of self study.

The suit filed here is the latest of several legal problems facing
the 25-year-old movement.

In Washington, D.C., nine Scientology members were recently
convicted of obstructing justice in connection with burglaries of
federal and private offices in Washington and Los Angeles. In Oregon,
a former Scientologist was recently awarded $2 million in damages
against the church.

Ms. Van Shaick's suit asserts that Scientologists use a technique
called "auditing" in which new members undergo extensive questioning
while monitored by a crude lie detector and gradually come under the
psychological domination of he "auditor."

According to the suit, a typical subject must pay at least $625 for
12 1/2 hours of auditing but usually agrees to further treatment that
costs thousands of dollars.

The suit also contends that auditing is falsely advertised as a
technique that will improve IQ, cure neuroses, heal injuries, prevent
colds, improve eyesight and enhance careers.

_____________________________

>I am also intrigued regarding your speculation that there is someone
>who put Fishman up to this. Do you also think that this person was

>manipulating Fishman when these charges first surfaced before
>Fishman's imprisonment?

I find this speculation compelling as well. I doubt, of course, that
anyone will be able to prove any collusion. But it *does* tend to
give this whole Fishman a.r.s. debacle a raison d'etre.

Diane Richardson
ref...@neont.com

David Mayo

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

On Tue, 28 May 1996 02:02:27 GMT, ref...@neont.com (Diane Richardson)
wrote:

>smok...@ix.netcom.com (Neal Hamel) wrote:

>>On 25 May 1996 21:58:52 -0400, David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>>[ snip ]

[...]

>[snip]
>
>>The theory that Fishman's story was concocted by his reading the
>>FACTnet materials, also suggested elsewhere by the currently
>>beleaguered D. Erlich, is intriguing.
>
>>Point #1 about Gary Klingler is strong evidence to back the theory of
>>FACTnet as the source for Fishman's experiences. I, personally,
>>believe it is the explanation. (n.b. Klingler was originally from Las
>>Vegas before his posting to the US GO. There were two Klingler
>>brothers and unless I have gotten them confused, Gary was a key person
>>in the legal restructuring of the CofS in the late 70s.)
>
>I agree as well that the "Klinger" misspelling is strong evidence that
>Fishman used the FACTNet files to "enhance his memory" while he was
>writing Lonesome Squirrel.
>
>Lavenda was on staff at the Las Vegas Org, so she would have known
>Gary Klingler personally. She probably didn't notice the typo in the
>typewritten declaration she signed. Fishman would not have know that
>it was a misspelling of the guy's real name.
>
>Klingler was, however, a high-profile person in the CoS during this

I don't think that he was as high profile as the following article
stated. Perhaps Neal Hamel or another ex-GO person would know.

>time period. Here is a news wire story regarding Lavenda's lawsuit
>against the "Church". Note that Gary Klingler is identified as a
>national spokesperson for the cult.
>
>---------------
>
> The Associated Press
>
>The materials in the AP file were compiled by The Associated Press.
>These materials may not be republished without the express written
>consent of The Associated Press.
>
> December 13, 1979, Thursday, AM cycle
>
>SECTION: Domestic News
>
>LENGTH: 469 words
>
>HEADLINE: Woman Sues Scientologists for $200 Million over "Mind
>Control"
>BYLINE: By THOMAS S. BROWN, Associated Press Writer
>DATELINE: BOSTON
>
> BODY:

[...]

> And Gary Klingler, a national church spokesman, estimated that as
>many as 3.5 million people have taken Scientology courses in the
>United States, including about 20,000 in the Boston area.

I do not *think* that Gary Klingler was "a national church spokesman"
except for this statement in this article. I have only heard of him as
working in GO Legal. I think he was assigned to "handle" the LaVenda Van
Schaick case (i.e., get rid of that lawsuit) and made the statement as
part of that assignment. My information here is scant and this paragraph
is mainly opinion.

>_____________________________
>
>>I am also intrigued regarding your speculation that there is someone
>>who put Fishman up to this. Do you also think that this person was
>>manipulating Fishman when these charges first surfaced before
>>Fishman's imprisonment?

(I answered, no, in another post.)

>I find this speculation compelling as well. I doubt, of course, that
>anyone will be able to prove any collusion. But it *does* tend to
>give this whole Fishman a.r.s. debacle a raison d'etre.

Someone who is powerless, stupid and from whom we will never hear again.

David Mayo
"Everyone I know could outsmart such a person while half asleep!"

Rev. Dennis L Erlich

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:

>I do not *think* that Gary Klingler was "a national church spokesman"
>except for this statement in this article. I have only heard of him as
>working in GO Legal. I think he was assigned to "handle" the LaVenda Van
>Schaick case (i.e., get rid of that lawsuit) and made the statement as
>part of that assignment. My information here is scant and this paragraph
>is mainly opinion.

I believe you are correct, David. I never heard of him being the
national spokesman before that either.

Rev. Dennis L Erlich * * the inFormer * *
<dennis....@support.com>
<inF...@primenet.com>

Neal Hamel

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

On 29 May 1996 09:22:40 -0400, David Mayo <ma...@lightlink.com> wrote:

>I don't think that he was as high profile as the following article
>stated. Perhaps Neal Hamel or another ex-GO person would know.

Gary worked within the USGO legal bureau. As far as I know, he didn't
have that star quality.

Later he was put on the project for legal reorganization of
scientology. (Prior to this project, the Church of Scientology of
California had a number of awkward entities, so new entities were
created and the CofSofC reorganized.)

I was a little surprised at the characterization in the AP article.

>I do not *think* that Gary Klingler was "a national church spokesman"
>except for this statement in this article. I have only heard of him as
>working in GO Legal. I think he was assigned to "handle" the LaVenda Van
>Schaick case (i.e., get rid of that lawsuit) and made the statement as
>part of that assignment. My information here is scant and this paragraph
>is mainly opinion.

Diane R. speculated that he was picked to handle Van Schaick because
they were both from Las Vegas. That is as good as any guess.

-Neal H.

(p/m)