Tanya: 2, Children in the Sea Org

ronsm...@hotmail.com

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

This is part two. The entire article is webbed at:
http://cisar.org/trn0454.htm

Scientology: a young sect ex-member reports for the first time
(continued)

From: "Sueddeutsche Zeitung"
April 21, 1997

At first, Tanya announced officially that she wished to leave. As a result
of that, she says, she was locked in a room by the security officials. "I
had to write everything down that I have ever done wrong in my life. I
cheated on a test once. I stole five marks, everything possible." She
was put on the lie detector and put under constant watch. "Someone
was constantly with me so that I would not take off, so that I would not
do anything wrong." Tanya altered her tactics. She claimed that her
father was on his death bed after a heart attack, and that she had to see
him - and she received leave.

In August of 1996, she traveled back to Saint Hill to pick up her
personal belongings. She thought that her lies had not yet been
detected. Nevertheless, Scientology had suspicions, and Tanya
became afraid. With the help of Ursula Caberta, the Scientology
Commissioner of the Hamburg Senate, and the British police, she finally
fled Saint Hill two days later.

Tanya's narrative sounds like a nightmare, and it is continuing. She
reported that, directly after her escape, she was approached by two
unknown men in an automobile while she was on her way to Caberta's
office, "Tanya, what are you doing here?" Tanya thought one of them
wished to shake her hand, because he held his hand out. "But then,
when I did not reach out to shake his hand, he grabbed me and pulled
me into the car." The men drove her around for hours, apparently
without going anywhere. Tanya lost her sense of direction. "They said I
knew what was going to happen, and I had earned it." Tanya supposed
that she would be brought back to England. "I committed a crime, just
taking off like that." As they drove through a city, she was able to
break loose at a stop light. She called for the police. The search for the
kidnappers turned up nothing. The investigation had to be called off
without being closed. However, the speaker for the Hamburg District
Attorney's Office, Ruediger Bagger, confirmed that the case was being
taken seriously, but he did not wish to go into details. "I don't want to
claim that it was Scientologists," said Tanya, "but they used Scientology
words. Nobody else speaks like that."

To Finally Be Important

After that, Tanya hardly went out of the house alone. During that time,
she said, she could hardly sleep at night. She was constantly running
over to the window whenever she heard a car outside. She assumed a
false identity, a false background. Despite protective measures, for
three weeks she has been terrorized over the telephone. Some
evenings the telephone rings incessantly, sometimes at three o'clock in
the morning, and nobody is ever on the other end. She thought it over
very carefully before telling her story to this newspaper. It is a kind of
reparation: she had recruited other children into Scientology and
possibly ruined their lives. It is also the conclusion of her past years,
closing down of her past with Scientology, as well as her childhood in a
broken home. Going to the press, as far as the Scientologists are
concerned, is one of the worst sins. Ursula Caberta says that the police
are informed and will now "have to check more often into Tanya's
rights." Tanya says, "Scientology is a dictatorship, and I want
everybody to know that."

She also still blames herself. "Somehow I was stupid enough to believe
all that," she said, and recalled some of the absurd ideas that had been
made a part of her childhood: "That one could recall things in this life
which happened millions of years ago, that you were maybe a rock, I
think ..." she says and taps her forehead. She had to also recall what
she liked about it, "the feeling of being important, being good, doing
anything, and being able to get anything. That's what most people are
looking for, and that's how you end up in there."

Starting in August, Tanya will be going back to school again, two years
behind her class. She is on her own, aided by a welfare grant. She only
has contact with her grandmother, from whom she has learned that her
father does not want anything more to do with her. Tanya wrote him a
letter, really only one line, "Since I love him, it's all the same to me what
happens." She just does not want to be one of those people who do
not say when they love others. She says, "I do not think that he will
ever speak with me again."

German Scientology News: http://cisar.org/trn0454.htm

Nots 34
http://home.sol.no/~spirous/CoS/archive/events/9805henson-case/nots34_anal.ht