T24 SOUTH AFRICAN EMBASSY REPLY

Tony McClelland

Mar 3, 1995, 6:45:37 PM3/3/95

Canberra

ac 8/74 7 April 1992

Mr Tony McClelland
[Private address withheld]

Dear Mr McClelland,

Church of Scientology

Your fax ref tm0506 dated 5 June 1991 regarding possible
Church of Scientology in South African school education
refers.

The matter has been taken up with the Department of
Education and Culture as well as the Department of
Education and Training who are responsible for school
education in South Africa.

Both denied any knowledge of the Church's involvement
in formal education in South Africa./ According to the
Department of Education and Training, the Church of
Scientology tried to use a front organisation in 1989, the
so called "Education Alive" but was not allowed to get
involved in the Department's schools.

I am afraid their claim of teaching 1.5 million children in
South Africa to read is just another fabrication.

Yours sincerely

Johan Klopper
Second Secretary

mi...@delphi.com

Mar 6, 1995, 5:07:27 AM3/6/95

Tony McClelland has asked for verification that study
methods developed by L. Ron Hubbard were introduced to 1.5
million black children in South Africa.

Before taking up that point, a few words about
McClelland himself.

McClelland's prejudice and bigotry against new
religions are revealed by the name of his organization,
CultAware. He is ill-qualified to be criticising anyone
else's integrity, since he sees nothing wrong with forming
this anti-religious hate group out of convicted criminals.

CultAware is an affiliate of the criminal deprogramming
organization called Cult Awareness Network in the United
States, several of whose members (for example, Rick Ross,
Galen Kelly) have been arrested or convicted on criminal
charges.

McClelland works closely with CAN deprogrammers Jerry
and Hana Whitfield and has set up deprogrammings by them.

Numerous individuals have spoken out strongly against
the Whitfields' attempts through lies and coercion to destroy
religious convictions and familial relations. One
individual, Dave Houghton, stated that the end result of the
attempted deprogramming was "a great deal of upset, emotional
distress and broken relationships which I am still working to
repair". Houghton's family members paid $8,000 to the
Whitfields which was later refunded at the mother's request.

Another victim, Richard Freedman, stated that stress
caused in the family by the Whitfields' attempt to
"deprogram" him was so severe that as a result his mother
ended up in the hospital.

During another failed deprogramming attempt, the
Whitfields falsely represented themselves to the victim,
Samuel I. Russell Jr., as "business consultants." Russell
stated in October 1991 that in his firm opinion, the
Whitfields' "counseling" of his wife brought about the
destruction of his marriage and family.

Another individual the Whitfields attempted
unsuccessfully to deprogram was Mark Hess. Hess stated in a
declaration that "I am still attempting to resolve the severe
emotional distress caused to my parents by Jerry and Hana
Whitfield, and restore our relationship. I cannot describe
in words the nearly irreparable harm caused to our
relationship by these people."

According to the affidavit of Scientologist Willam
Truax, Hana's "counseling" of his wife resulted in the wife's
severe animus towards William because of his religious
preference. The entire matter resulted in William and Jane
proceeding with a divorce.

McClelland has spread several lies about Scientology
both on and off the Internet. Yet when you look into his own
backyard, however, this is what you find:

a) McClelland sees nothing wrong with having Cyril
Vosper as a CultAware member. In November 1987, Vosper was
arrested for the kidnapping of a German woman and attempting
to brainwash her. By the time she was freed, there was blood
all over the place. The woman had cut herself trying to
escape and had been denied medical treatment by Vosper and
his cohort.

Vosper was held in a German jail for several weeks. He
was later found guilty of false imprisonment and causing
bodily harm.

In 1992, Vosper was still working as a deprogrammer,
extorting large sums of money from families without informing
them of his previous conviction. One 29-year-old woman from
Australia who had been held for several hours wrote, "My
father told me later, after Mr. Vosper's unsuccessful
attempt to brainwash me, that he had 'paid a lot of money'
for this." She added, "I was terrified by the experience and
at the appearance of Mr. Vosper, who looked almost
reptilian. He was a malicious man who tried to turn my whole
family against me."

b) In September, 1992, David Lentin, another CultAware
member, pleaded guilty, was convicted and fined $1,200 for
breaching his duty as a private enquiry agent. The judge
said that she was gravely concerned about police allegations
that Lentin falsified documents and admitted to having used
unlicensed undercover operatives. "I am concerned he
intended to deceive or mislead any person interested in
making head or tail of his records," she said.

So much for McClelland and his criminal cohorts in
CultAware.

As far as Africa is concerned, between 1976 and 1985
Education Alive, the organization in South Africa which
delivers L. Ron Hubbard's study technology, administered
courses to some 10,000 students and teachers all over the
country and in neighbouring satellite states.

Then in 1985, a South African Scientologist began daily
seminars on Study Technology as well as major courses for
students and teachers. She ran this activity personally and
had up to 50 staff and supervisors doing this every week.
From the beginning of 1986 until the end of 1988, seminars
and courses were conducted every week throughout South Africa
and in about 5 neighbouring satellites such as Bophutatswana
and Transkei.

These took place in about 30 or more schools per week.
Teams of lecturers went out to the schools and gave seminars
in the basics of these study methods to as many as 20,000
students weekly, and sometimes more.

In this way, hundreds of thousands of children received
an introduction in Study Technology in literally thousands of
schools.

Tens of thousands also took major courses. About 15 to
20 trained course supervisors did nothing else, week after
week and month after month, but train the trainee
teachers, the in-service teachers, school circuit inspectors
and others. As many as 500 teachers and students would
graduate these courses each week.

The 1.5 million figure is derived from hundreds of
thousands of study tech seminars that were given plus major
courses.

I earlier posted data about the results of some of
these courses and am reposting it below in case some people
missed it.

Countless letters of appreciation have been received by
Education Alive from teachers and students in South Africa
who have learned to use the principles Mr. Hubbard
developed.

Here are samples:

(Names are omitted because in the past such
individuals have been abused, harassed and intimidated by CAN
members and affiliates. In one case, CAN's executive
director Cynthia Kisser hired CAN thug and deprogrammer Galen
Kelly to travel to the Tucson, Arizona home (Kisser
accompanied him) of a federal witness in a case against
Kisser. Kelly turned up at the witness' place of work,
faking an identity as an insurance salesman, and when she
refused to see him, went to her home. This time he pretended
to be a police officer, threatened her and her daughter, and
tried to force his way into the house. He so terrified the
witness that she went into hiding and didn't reappear until
after Kelly was securely behind bars after a kidnapping
conviction).

"We decided to give Mr. Hubbard's system a try. The
rest of this letter may undoubtedly sound like a fairy
tale... our staff is smiling and beaming, things just keep on
going well. This is all due to implementing the incredible,
simple techniques of Mr. Hubbard's system."

-- Chairman of a training center in Pretoria

"... the Learning Book Course [has] really revitalized
and enhanced our education."

-- Principal of a community school in Katlehong

"improves comprehension and training material and also
understanding of on-the-job instructions...."

-- director of a Pretoria training center.

"The Trustees have ... acknowledged the importance and
value of E.A.s' work...."

-- Manager of an educational trust in Johannesburg.

"There has been a great improvement in this school.
Almost all the teachers have been successful in their studies
after having encountered difficulties in the past.

"Our STD (Standard) 5 children did well in their exams
last year after having been exposed to the study technology
that was extended to them.

I would like to thank L. Ron Hubbard in particular for
the wonderful work he has done for our education."

-- Principal of a primary school in Meadowlands

"In South Africa, particularly amongst black school
children, your techniques have already gained support and
what is needed now is intensification of the method in all
our regions in South Africa."

-- Letter to L. Ron Hubbard from the community affairs
manager of a large corporation.

"Since I have started this course at Education Alive, I
am able to read for the whole day and understand each and
every word that I come across... I am able to solve my
problem at work, at home and with my girlfriend too."

-- Letter from a student, July 19, 1985

"The Education Alive organization which is based in
Johannesburg sent a number of their staffers to the North to
run a course on STUDY AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS... All who
went through the course enthusiastically described it as both
an eye and mind opener. I also took part in the course and
am in full agreement withis this evaluation. After several
years of academic endeavour, the written word assumed a
completely new significance for me."

-- Director of the student counseling bureau at a South
African university.

Sri Changiana Saar

Mar 6, 1995, 2:30:01 PM3/6/95

> Tony McClelland has asked for verification that study
> methods developed by L. Ron Hubbard were introduced to 1.5
> million black children in South Africa.
>
> Before taking up that point, a few words about
> McClelland himself.

[Deep heavy sigh]

In other words, "Before trying to answer a straight-forward honest question,
let's try to dead agent the questioner, shall we? Why a few words about
McClelland? He could be a mass murderer on the run and wanted in 150
countries, and his questions about the 1.5 million kids would still be valid.
ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTIONS, Co$!

> McClelland's prejudice and bigotry against new
> religions are revealed by the name of his organization,
> CultAware. He is ill-qualified to be criticising anyone
> else's integrity, since he sees nothing wrong with forming
> this anti-religious hate group out of convicted criminals.

McClelland is not prejudice or bigotted, he is merely capable of using his
Functioning Cerebrum [tm] to point out obvious instances of cult behavior,
which like it or not DO exist in this the real world. You know nothing of his
qualifications in any field, and to judge his qualifications (watch closely here) to
judge cults simply because he judges cults is circular reasoning at its finest. "He
is ill-qualified to judge since he sees nothing wrong with judging".
Milne, try to keep up. I strongly recommend you grab a copy of "A Rulebook
for Arguments" by Anthony Weston. It's small, cheap, and well worth the
read.

> CultAware is an affiliate of the criminal deprogramming
> organization called Cult Awareness Network in the United
> States, several of whose members (for example, Rick Ross,
> Galen Kelly) have been arrested or convicted on criminal
> charges.

Despite your massive spam campaign, it is INCORRECT to lable the Cult
Awareness Network a "criminal organization" as it has never been ruled such,
unlike, say the Co$, which HAS in several countries. Get your ***FACTS***
straight, or at least rent a clue.

> McClelland works closely with CAN deprogrammers Jerry
> and Hana Whitfield and has set up deprogrammings by them.

Proof?

[snip stuff about Whitfield as I'm not sure how it relates to McClelland]

> McClelland has spread several lies about Scientology
> both on and off the Internet. Yet when you look into his own
> backyard, however, this is what you find:

1) McClelland has NEVER LIED about Scientology. Prove otherwise, and I do
mean PROVE IT!!! I have NEVER heard or read a single lie by McClelland,
and it seems to me he has done some of the most extensive (and even-handed)
research to be found in trying to verify your claims. Look, if you really did
educate 1.5 million kids, PROVE IT and I'm certain McClelland will verify and
back up your proof. I still doubt he'd approve of your cult, but I don't speak
for him. I do know, however, that if you give him proof, you will have proved
that ONE claim you made in "Fact" vs. Fiction.

> a) McClelland sees nothing wrong with having Cyril
> Vosper as a CultAware member. In November 1987, Vosper was
> arrested for the kidnapping of a German woman and attempting
> to brainwash her. By the time she was freed, there was blood
> all over the place. The woman had cut herself trying to
> escape and had been denied medical treatment by Vosper and
> his cohort.

1) So you apparently exteriorized and read Tony's mind to see how he feels
about Cyril Vosper? You claim he "sees nothing wrong", etc., but how are we
to know that a) your claims have any basis in truth, and if so b) that Tony
doesn't abhor Mr. Vosper? I mean, I have no choice but to work with people
I'd rather hit with a brick, but if a certain coworker of mine wound up in federal
prison, would that have any reflection on me? No! That's a flawed argument.
Now let's assume for a moment that McClelland things Vosper hung the moon,
You've yet to PROVE what you spew about Vosper. Look at it this way, There
is a certain man who has been a friend of my family since before I was born.
Love the guy, he's a fantastic human being. He's also fallen under the spell of
Robert Tilton, that malign televangelist in Dallas. No one can understand it.
Does that detract from the guy? Maybe. Does that invalidate everything he does,
says, or stands for? Not at all. He's still among the best in his field, honorable
and dependable to a fault, and a heck of a decent human being.

You're attempting to prove guilt by association, and it JUST WON'T WASH.

[snip more garbage about Vosper]

> b) In September, 1992, David Lentin, another CultAware
> member, pleaded guilty, was convicted and fined $1,200 for
> breaching his duty as a private enquiry agent. The judge
> said that she was gravely concerned about police allegations
> that Lentin falsified documents and admitted to having used
> unlicensed undercover operatives. "I am concerned he
> intended to deceive or mislead any person interested in
> making head or tail of his records," she said.

Excuse me, but in this case, was David Lentin functioning as a "private enquiry
agent" or as a functionary of CultAware? Once again you attempt to throw mud
on Tony via his associates, and it won't work. Several of your Co$ members
also have criminal records, but it is because of what THEY are actually doing
that THEY get attacked.

Let's create a scenario for a moment... Let's say that an average Australian
housewife joins CultAware. (note: I have no idea how one would join
CultAware, or even if they are open to new membership. This is improv.) This
housewife does a good job at gathering and distributing the data that comes in
concerning cult activity world-wide. She's concerned about people being
sucked into these malign cults, and feels that she's doing some good by helping
to spread some FACTS about the various cults. You see, she has to do
something to help her self image, her husband - it turns out - drinks excessively
and beats her.

One day she's had enough, he hits her once too many times and she leaves.
From a friend's house she calls her credit card holder to see how much money
she has as she wants to get far away from the bastard. She finds out that her
husband has not only drained the checking account, but maxed out all the cards
as well.

She goes home and shoots the bastard, committing murder.

Guess what happens next? As soon as her (unrelated to the case) involvement
with CultAware is made public, the Co$ tries to use the story as PROOF THAT
MCCLELLAND CONSORTS WITH CRIMINALS!!!! YA!!!

Morons.

> So much for McClelland and his criminal cohorts in
> CultAware.

For those following along at home, you'll notice that in all the DA material
Milne listed, nothing was directed at McClelland. "So much for McClelland"
makes him look pretty good to me.

> As far as Africa is concerned,

[spin control garbage snipped]

> The 1.5 million figure is derived from hundreds of
> thousands of study tech seminars that were given plus major
> courses.

Sorry, Milne, you don't get to get away with that. The claim was that
Scientology taught 1.5 million kids to READ AND WRITE.

Your sorry attempt to downgrade this having been drived from hundreds of
thousands of study tech seminars, etc. simply is not acceptable as it does not
answer the question concerning your cult's claim. Think about this rationally
for a moment, will you? I know that you're trying to defend Scientology as
best you can, but SOMEONE, doubtfully you, approved putting the claim that
Scientology taught 1.5 million kids to READ AND WRITE in the rebuttal to
Time's article. Fine. The Co$ prints it, and now it is up to you to believe it.

But do you? You yourself have to qualify the claim to make it even approach
reality. And can you prove that these hundreds of thousands of study tech
seminars even took place? I and others will immediatly challenge that claim as
being inflated as well. But YOU have to write this stuff. Think about it, are
you covering someone else's lies? Why would you do that? Borrow a clue for
a moment, and ask your superiors "Hey, guys, can't we just 'fess up on this
one? Looks like we made a mistake."

They have you relaying LIES, and YOU KNOW IT or you'd prove it
otherwise. I challenge you to take a deep look into yourself and ask what kind
of religion requires you to lie about its success.

[more scientology "wins" not related to McClelland - or reality - snipped]

Get a life, Milne. Get out of the org and take a sabatical. Get away from them,
they've poisoned your mind. You're a drone but you don't have to be one
forever, you can get out. They're having you post lie after lie after lie, and DA
after DA, and apparently you haven't woken up to it yet.

Get out, they've RUINED your life, but you can start again, free from them.

-Changii

Andrew J. Testa

Mar 6, 1995, 5:19:36 PM3/6/95
So the score so far:

Tony -- Letters requesting information, with response from South African
embassy confirming allegations about Cof$,

Milne - Robo-posted semi-literate dead agent material, no attempt to
address the questions.

Gotta be the most clueless bunch of sorry fucks ever to direct electrons.

Andy "Xenu ate my homework" Testa

Tony Sidaway

Mar 6, 1995, 6:58:17 PM3/6/95
Milne makes a gallant attempt to rescue his failed claim that
"1.5 million black children" in SA were taught to read by Scientologists.

> Tony McClelland has asked for verification that study
> methods developed by L. Ron Hubbard were introduced to 1.5
> million black children in South Africa.
>
> Before taking up that point, a few words about
> McClelland himself.

[The usual dead agent crap hacked off. This isn't making any converts,
Milne]

> So much for McClelland and his criminal cohorts in
> CultAware.

Yeah, like we believe every lie you spread.

Right. Now you've made all those grand claims, where's your evidence?

> I earlier posted data about the results of some of
> these courses and am reposting it below in case some people
> missed it.

Okay, I certainly must have missed it. All I've seen posted was a
load of unattributed rubbish that was impossible to verify.

> Countless letters of appreciation have been received by
> Education Alive from teachers and students in South Africa
> who have learned to use the principles Mr. Hubbard
> developed.
>
> Here are samples:
>
> (Names are omitted because in the past such
> individuals have been abused, harassed and intimidated by CAN
> members and affiliates. In one case, CAN's executive
> director Cynthia Kisser hired CAN thug and deprogrammer Galen
> Kelly to travel to the Tucson, Arizona home (Kisser
> accompanied him) of a federal witness in a case against
> Kisser.

[More dead agenting]

Ah! So, you not only cannot prove it, you have the nerve to spread
crap about Cynthia Kisser. What hold does Cynthia Kisser have over
you? What possible harm could she do to somebody living in South
Africa?

> "We decided to give Mr. Hubbard's system a try. The
> rest of this letter may undoubtedly sound like a fairy
> tale... our staff is smiling and beaming, things just keep on
> going well. This is all due to implementing the incredible,
> simple techniques of Mr. Hubbard's system."
>
> -- Chairman of a training center in Pretoria

Address of training center? Date of quote? Document reference?

> "... the Learning Book Course [has] really revitalized
> and enhanced our education."
>
> -- Principal of a community school in Katlehong

Address of community school? Date of quote? Document reference?

> "improves comprehension and training material and also
> understanding of on-the-job instructions...."
>
> -- director of a Pretoria training center.

Address of training center? Date of quote? Document reference?

And it goes on.

Milne, we can see through your lies. We now know the reason why you
spread lies about Cynthia Kisser is to excuse your own omissions.

How pathetic.

--
Tony Sidaway
to...@sidaway.demon.co.uk