(MPES) 6 Michael Pattinson's Experiences with Scientology. Part 6

michael pattinson

Aug 29, 2003, 5:58:28 PM8/29/03
Part 6.

While I was a resident of Monaco for 2 years (Monaco-Monte Carlo is in
the south of France, nera Nice) I painted, audited O.T.7 full-time and
worked at improving my art promotional slide-show.

I went back to Flag every 6 months or so to get verified as to my
progress on the level. It was 1983-84-85. I stayed out of the internal
power-politics of the whole scene and minded my own business while
getting through O.T.7. In 1985 it seemed that the situation had
settled down and was pretty bearable even though the spirit had gone
from the group to a very large degree.

I went to Mexico to promote my art and did quite well there after
getting through the awful sickness of reaction to either water or food
for a few terrible days. I made some money, some friends and some new
art prospects in a short period, some Scientologists and others not. I
was, however, very very shocked at the disparity of wealth and income
between the Scientologists and their employees. I visited their
factories and understood that the people working there earned about
$60 a month but the "boss" (an O.T. 7) was getting over $50,000.00 a
month for showing up occasionally. He was donating heavily (hundreds
of thousands of dollars) to Scientology (I don't want to name names
here, but there were about 12 people I knew in similar situations)and
getting Scientology accolades for being so "upstat" and admirable.

It was disheartening and sickening to see the lazy bosses in their
marble palaces with olympic size swimming pool in the living room,
while the families of the workers struggled to even have food and
makeshift shelters. This was, surely, a problem of Mexican society,
not of Scientology, but it was eye-opening to me to see the truth
behind the "upstat" donors and their ego-trips being made on the backs
of exploited workers. "Exchange" was not "in" but it didn't apparently
matter to those receiving the donations in the "church". One senior
Mexican O.T 7 was in business in the clothing industry. Their way of
doing business, so I found out, was to go to Spain, buy attractive
baby clothes, take them back to Mexico and copy the designs for free
as plagiarized styles. I got really sick of the attitudes there and
moved to Clearwater to be near Flag and complete my O.T.7.

I moved into a building near the Sandcastle Hotel, where O.T.7 was
being supervised. I continued the level and attended Flag events. For
those who don't know, the annual menu of "events" in Scientology are a
great part of the "group bonding" of the whole world-wide structure.
typically, the biggest events were on March 13th for Hubbard's
Birthday, May 9th for 1950 launch of Dianetics Book anniversay and New
Year Event. At Flag the Sea Org anniversary, I think it is some time
in September? was a big deal. At these events, which resemble
each-other dramatically, Scientology International management makes
its rare public appearances, all "dressed to kill" (hmmmm) in tuxedos
or naval uniforms and give off shopping lists of "wins",
"breakthroughs", statistics (usually with blank graphs without actual
numbers), victories over psychiatrists, results in the fight against
pharmaceuticals such as Ritalin etc..,legal victories over insane
suppressive enemies or ex-members who were yapping too loudly and new
incursions into social fields such as education, drug abuse
rehabilitation, prisons or mental health.

Attendees, such as myself and the 2,000 or so other people at these
packed Flag Auditorium events, got regular exercise during the
proceedings due to the yo-yo effect of giving Ron Hubbard's big stage
photo standing ovations every few minutes due to the grandiosity of
the "news" and the apparently overwhelming successes Scientology was
reported to be having in the world. The Management regime took turns
at giving, from their own specialized areas, the "impressive
successes", amazing breakthroughs for sale, new books and courses for
sale, new art properties for sale, new auditing actions for sale,
donations (sales) to further pet management projects, and awards to
the most "upstat" donors to sell the idea that others should follow
suit by giving huge donations too, etc. After the events the public
people (clients) would habitually be met by a wall of staff members
all selling the new releases and getting commissions on the sales.
With nthe paltry amounts they usually earned they were almost
hysterically motivated to sell anyone anything on the spot.

These events were the medium to cement the group together several
times a year and to over-ride individual upsets, disagreements,
annoyances or doubts about being a dutifully contributing member. The
cheering of Ron, the hip-hip hoorahs yoy-yo repetitive process, the
amazingly admirable successes, stats, awards, releases... all went to
bond me and the other attendees into the group anew whatever pain or
frustrations I was going through while trying to get to O.T 8 and the
powers and abilities that were "surely" there. The group enthusiasm
was contagious to a point of being addictive. This may explain a few
things to more than a few people.

By this time the dry-land navy (Sea Organization) had found a way of
getting a big ship to sail on. The answer was simple....get the
Scientology public to donate one! We were asked, over and over, to
make Ship donations for the New O.T. levels "that could not be
delivered on dry land!!" Wow, well I did donate a bit but not too
much. Others, mostly Mexican businessmen (ahem) donated hundreds of
thousands of dollars each, some others, americans, germans, french,
isrealis and more...donated millions in part-payments and packages for
OT8 and OT9, with Ship Accommodations, named cabins, were being sold
in large quantities. Eventually the cruise ship "Boheme" was purchased
for about $30million and extensively renovated. It was later named the
"Freewinds" and was based in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, just north
of the Venezuelan coast.
It was being readied for "NEW O.T.8 !!!!!" Wowwwww! To my mind, if OT8
had to absolutely be delivered at sea it must be because it made us so
powerful that landlubbers must not be alarmed or overwhelmed by it
all. Something of the order of "A being at Cause over life, matter,
energy, space, time, bith subjective and objective"....as was
advertised on the Hubbard Grade Chart!

Well, back to reality; my attempts to get "cured" of being gay per
Hubbard's book writings that he could do so by my using his tech (as
was a constant factor in all my auditing endeavors) met with results
that were up-and-down, on-and-off, and temporary to say the least. It
was not working and I could see no real results that lasted more than
a few hours or a day or two. It was still ruining my life as a
Scientologist and I got sent to "ethics" over and over and over for
"handlings", ethics conditions, repairs, reviews, ad nauseam. It was
as if I were trying to do away with a part of myself that, according
to the group, "shouldn't be there" and was an aberration to be erased.
No amount of releasing (apparently) of dead space aliens and dark
entities from my body had a lasting effect on my being gay or
straight, even when I got special "tailor-made" auditing on the
subject.

By the end of 1985 I was still plodding on relentlessly with hopes and
aspirations about getting to be a heterosexual disembodied causative
spirit with amazing powers of telekinesis and effective thought
projection. We heard Ron's tape (cassette) of his 1986 "New Year's
Message" where we heard the voice say that OT8 was ready to be
delivered. The picture I had of Ron being there on the Ship to greet
us and make us superhuman was mentally surrounded in dazzlingly bright
lights of hope and accomplishment.

In January 1986 those lights went out. (see part 7)

WHAT I SAW, WHAT I LEARNED LATER ABOUT SOME OF THESE MATTERS;

1. Although the lawyers and tax-IRS-related personnel who actually
owned Scientology (such as those in "Church of Spiritual Technology",
C.S.T) were manipulating and running a lot of corporate things which
affected our lives they were never seen or heard of by us at events.
They were "non-existant" as far as we were concerned.
Such people had a "zero profile" to the membership. Apart from seeing
them at events, the management's daily activities or dealings,
handling of vast amounts of monies was "invisible" to even staff at
any lower level. Where the money went was anyone's guess. The actual
use of monies by management still remains a big mystery today, but
some data is available on the internet.

2. The Ship, Freewinds, was needed by the Sea Org (so their little
navy could be rehydrated) and the I.A.S (so it could have an off-shore
command centre from which to attack various governments with
outrageous P.R. etc...Germany was one).
The full page ads with black propaganda against foreign governments
were framed and displayed by the I.A.S offices on deck C of the
Freewinds. It was/is a floating base that can move away from
retalitions.

3. OT9 was sold in huge quantities but never has been delivered to
anyone. It may not even exist in fact.

4. The actual statistics given out in wildly ascending graph trend
lines at the events I attended may have been often false and
misleading. Realities often bore little resemblence to the dynamics of
"stellar" (a frequent buzz-word) stats and expansion when I visited
many orgs and missions with my art show. The states and conditions of
things "on the ground", I could directly observe, were wildly at
variance with the glowing reports and adrenalin-rush "astounding
science fiction" feats of magnificence given out at events. On many
occasions while I was giving art lectures and pep talks as a celebrity
in orgs and missions (I gave over 200 events in about 40 cities from
1980 to about 1989)the local top executives would confide in me their
difficulties on post etc... so I had a very good over-view of what the
realities were when compared to the management reports to us. It got
worse and worse as time went by.