Attn: Michigan Anon CCHR Campaigns against psychiartry

Patty Pieniadz

Feb 25, 2008, 12:15:54 PM2/25/08
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/02/organization_campaigns_against.html

Organization campaigns against psychiatry
Posted by Pat Shellenbarger | The Grand Rapids Press February 25, 2008
06:11AM
Categories: Editors' Choice
GRAND RAPIDS -- As a psychiatrist, Dr. JoSharon Mutchler is proud of her
profession and says it helps those suffering mental illnesses.

Another Grand Rapids physician, Dr. Ann Auburn, calls it a hoax.

Auburn founded a Michigan chapter of the Citizens Commission on Human
Rights, a group created by the Church of Scientology - to expose what it
calls the "pseudoscience" and "scientific fraud" of psychiatry.
Auburn concedes many doctors don't share her view of psychiatry.

"Most of the time, I get a few raised eyebrows," she said. "It's so
indoctrinated in our training."
"It's continually promoting things that don't work," said Auburn,
president of the Kent County Osteopathic Association. "That's why it's a
hoax: They're putting people on drugs for things they haven't properly
diagnosed."

JoSharon Mutchler

Ann AuburnThe group is planning a "Fight for Kids Event" March 29 at the
Wealthy Theatre to campaign against "today's widespread practice of
drugging of children with heavy, mind-altering, psychiatric drugs,"
according to a flier.

Mutchler, president of the Western Michigan chapter of the Michigan
Psychiatric Society, had not heard about the event, but she has
encountered pickets at conventions and once en route to a meeting in
Atlanta listened to an anti-psychiatry rant by a cab driver who was a
Scientologist.

"I had no idea people thought we did harm," she said. "All I can do is

Auburn studied nutrition at Michigan State University and incorporates
it into her holistic family practice. She doesn't deny people sometimes
suffer mental breakdowns, but insists they can be treated with changes
in behavior and proper nutrition.

"To call a mental problem a disease, it just doesn't exist," Auburn
said. "The problem is once you label a person with that, they're doomed.
They're going to get a drug."

But Mutchler said some mental illnesses are caused by chemical
imbalances in the brain, which can be treated with psychotropic drugs,
"much like diabetes when you don't have enough insulin."

Using neuro imaging, doctors are able to see how psychotropic drugs
affect various areas of the brain, she said.

Mark Reinstein, president of the Mental Health Association in Michigan,
said there is room for debate over whether psychotropic drugs are
overprescribed but, for some patients, he insisted, they work.

"I have personally experienced depression," he said. "I was just
miserable. I couldn't sleep. I was getting close to being unable to
function. It doesn't happen in every case, but the medication worked
great for me."

Auburn said she would prefer the connection between the Citizens
Commission on Human Rights and the Church of Scientology not be
mentioned. The church has drawn attention recently for its stand against
psychiatry, particularly by one prominent Scientologist, actor Tom
Cruise.

Founded in 1954 by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, the church has
been controversial because of its unconventional beliefs and its
aggressive defense against critics. The commission's literature is
stridently critical of psychiatry, calling it "junk science." One
pamphlet refers to "the hoax of learning disorders."

Another calls the use of drugs such as Ritalin "strategic child mind
control" and claims the screening of children for mental illness has
"Nazi roots."

Mutchler shook her head when shown those pamphlets.

"We work very hard to help people," she said, "and I feel sad that they
are hearing things that would negate what we're trying to do. I'm
concerned for the children who don't get help, the adults who don't get
help."

Auburn is a national officer of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights
and a member of the Church of Scientology.

"I would have been involved in this group, even if I wasn't a
Scientologist," she said

JAFAW

Feb 25, 2008, 12:31:40 PM2/25/08

"Patty Pieniadz" <ppie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

My favourite bit from the article...

"Auburn said she would prefer the connection between the Citizens
Commission on Human Rights and the Church of Scientology not be
mentioned."

No shit.
I wonder why *that* might be.

LaserClam

Feb 25, 2008, 12:34:29 PM2/25/08
On Feb 25, 12:15 pm, "Patty Pieniadz" <ppieni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Auburn studied nutrition at Michigan State University and incorporates
> it into her holistic family practice. She doesn't deny people sometimes
> suffer mental breakdowns, but insists they can be treated with changes
> in behavior and proper nutrition.
>
> "To call a mental problem a disease, it just doesn't exist," Auburn
> said. "The problem is once you label a person with that, they're doomed.
> They're going to get a drug."
>
> But Mutchler said some mental illnesses are caused by chemical
> imbalances in the brain, which can be treated with psychotropic drugs,
> "much like diabetes when you don't have enough insulin."

Mutchler couldn't find out what created
mental illness so she decided to
poison it with drugs, eh Patty?

Eldon

Feb 25, 2008, 12:34:54 PM2/25/08
On Feb 25, 6:31 pm, "JAFAW" <a...@anon.net> wrote:
> "Patty Pieniadz" <ppieni...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/02/organization_campaigns_against....

Hahahaha. This is the same thing Landmark Education and Avatar say:

"Don't you dare tell anybody we're the two daughter cults of
Scientology!"

Not that they're front groups of Scientology. They're splinter groups
Scientology would rather not have around as competition. But they're
definitely predatory cults.

Avatar even has its own version of body thetans. See www.avatarcult.info
for more info.

Sounds sorta familiar, doesn't it?

Message has been deleted

shellb...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2008, 3:58:27 PM2/25/08

Have you ever read philosophy?
Not written by second rate science fiction authors?