fwd: Possible comeback of Larry Reservitz

Tilman Hausherr

Sep 12, 2009, 1:49:48 AM9/12/09
Larry Reservitz is apparently back, and his name is now Larry Reynolds,
according to this article:
http://www.startribune.com/local/59084527.html?page=2&c=y

About Larry Reservitz:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/U.S._v._Kattar_840_F.2d_118_%281988%29

--
Tilman Hausherr [KoX, SP5.55] Entheta * Enturbulation * Entertainment
http://www.xenu.de

Resistance is futile. You will be enturbulated. Xenu always prevails.

Find broken links on your web site: http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
The Xenu bookstore: http://home.snafu.de/tilman/bookstore.html

Nook Encranny

Sep 12, 2009, 2:45:13 AM9/12/09
Tilman Hausherr wrote:
> Larry Reservitz is apparently back, and his name is now Larry Reynolds,
> according to this article:
> http://www.startribune.com/local/59084527.html?page=2&c=y
>
> About Larry Reservitz:
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/U.S._v._Kattar_840_F.2d_118_%281988%29

.
DATE: TUESDAY December 30, 1986
PAGE: 21 EDITION: THIRD
SECTION: METRO LENGTH: MEDIUM
SOURCE: By William F. Doherty, Globe Staff

METHUEN MAN IS CONVICTED IN SCIENTOLOGY EXTORTION CASE
A US District Court jury yesterday convicted George T. Kattar of
Methuen
of extorting $33,000 from the Church of Scientology and attempting to
extort
$67,000 more.
Kattar, who boasted on tape that he was sponsored by the late New
England
Mafia leader Raymond L.S. Patriarca, threatened the life of one church
official, according to testimony.
The 57-year-old Kattar, now free on $1 million bond, faces 20 years in
prison when he is sentenced Feb. 5. The jury acquitted him of lesser
charges,
including fraud and receiving stolen funds.
The jurors also acquitted a codefendant, Harvey Brower, 49, of
Swampscott,
on all four charges against him, including extortion, fraud and receiving
stolen funds.
The case involved efforts to collect a $100,000 reward offered by the
church for information about an attempt to pass a $1.5 million forged
church
check.
According to testimony, Kattar and Brower obtained $33,000 from the
church
in return for information that turned out to be false. A former church
official, Geoffrey Shervell, testified that Kattar threatened him in an
attempt to collect the remaining $67,000.
According to tapes played during the trial, Kattar shouted at Shervell:
''You're finished. . . .Your days are numbered.''
Referring to one of his bodyguards, Kattar told Shervell: ''He would
blow
your head off in 10 seconds. . . .You're lucky I'm going to let you
walk out
of hfriend.''
Kattar warned Shervell and an undercover FBI agent that he was ''in the
rackets'' and any attempt to oppose him would be disastrous for the
church.
In an unrelated raid on Kattar's home last April, FBI agents seized 131
guns and military supplies. The armaments included three homemade bombs, a
number of Uzis -- an Israeli submachine gun -- automatic weapons,
shotguns,
rifles and handguns.
Kattar has been a real estate developer, a financier and a trucking
company
executive over the past 20 years.
FBI agents who bugged Patriarca's office in Providence between
1962 and
1965 reported that they heard the Mafia chief and his close associates
mention
Kattar's name in a number of conversations involving business deals.
An affidavit filed by FBI agent James Burleigh said an informant
has told
the FBI that the New England Mafia has given Kattar approval to kill
Larry J.
Reservitz, a convicted swindler, who was the chief prosecution witness
in the
trial. Reservitz is now in the federal witness protection program.
According to court documents, during a meeting that Reservitz taped in
1984, Kattar talked about the structure of the Mafia in New England in the
wake of the indictments of Gennaro J. Angiulo, then reputed Boston
area Mafia
chief, and three of his brothers and explained that Patriarca's son,
Raymond
J. (Junior) Patriarca, was ''running things now.''
Kattar said on the tape he was sponsored by the elder Patriarca.
''I was
never in Jerry's camp,'' said, referring to Angiulo.
Kattar, who served nine months in prison for a 1973 tax evasion
conviction,
also figured in the recent gubernatorial campaign. Republican candidate
Gregory Hyatt withdrew from the race shortly after it was disclosed
that he
had received a personal donation from Kattar.
Brower, a disbarred lawyer, once represented the elder Patriarca and
several other high-level organized crime figures.
The Scientology trial revolved around a $100,000 reward the church had
offered for information about an attempt to pass a $1.5 million forged
check
drawn on an account of church founder L. Ron Hubbard at the Bank of New
England.
Lawyers for Kattar and Brower conceded that their clients provided the
church with false information implicating Boston lawyer Michael J.
Flynn in
the forgery attempt, but they claimed no fraud was committed against the
church.
The defense lawyers argued that the church did not care whether the
information was true or false as long as it incriminated Flynn, whom the
church considered its nemesis.
According to testimony, church officials were seeking derogatory
information against Flynn to discredit him and stop him from filing suits
inst the church. Over the past several years Flynn has filed numerous suits
against the church on behalf of dissaffected church members.
Earlier this month the suits -- including one for defamation that Flynn
filed in his own behalf -- were settled, reportedly for close to $5
million.
dohert;12/29 NIGRO ;12/31,10:58 KATTAR30
KEYWORDS: CRIME EXTORTION RELIGION

B O S T O N G L O B E

DATE: WEDNESDAY December 10, 1986
PAGE: 91 EDITION: THIRD
SECTION: METRO LENGTH: MEDIUM
SOURCE: By William F. Doherty, Globe Staff

EX-SCIENTOLOGY OFFICIAL TESTIFIES HE WAS BULLIED
FOR $67,000 PAYOFF
A former official of the Church of Scientology testified in US District
Court yesterday that a Methuen man threatened to have him bullied or
killed
unless he gave him $67,000.
Geoffrey Shervell, who was chief of the church's investigation section,
said George T. Kattar warned him: ''Your name is going in the hat.''
''My impression was that someone was going to be selected to bully
me, or
kill me, or harm me in some way,'' Shervell told the jury.
Kattar, 67, and Harvey Brower, 49, of Swampscott, a former lawyer
turned
writer, are on trial charged with extorting funds from the church.
Kattar and Brower allegedly obtained $33,000 from the church in
return for
providing it with false information about an attempt to steal $2
million from
the church. The two defendants allegedly attempted to extort another
$67,000
payment before church officals went to the FBI.
According to the indictment, Kattar and Brower provided church
officials
with false information about a $2 million forged check drawn on the
account of
L. Ron Hubbard, the church founder. The check written on an account at the
Bank of New England was presented at a New York bank but was not
cashed when a
teller questioned its authenticity.
Shervell testified that he was assigned by the church to
investigate the
attempt to pass the $2 million check.
He said he was told by Brower that Kattar was willing to
provinformation ab
out the check in return for the $100,000 reward that the church
had offered in newspaper advertisements.
Although he rejected Kattar's offer, Shervell said he later agreed
to let
Kattar ''see'' $33,333 when Kattar threatened to break off
negotiations and go
to church adversary Michael Flynn with his information.
Flynn is a Boston lawyer who has filed numerous suits against the
church on
behalf of dissaffected church members.
Shervell said he gave the $33,333 in cash to Brower after Brower
assured
him: ''I just want to show it to him Kattar. I'll bring it right back.''
But Shervell said Brower returned without the money and said Kattar had
insisted that the cash be placed in a bank safe deposit box.
At an Oct. 2 meeting at Indian Ridge County Club in Andover,
Shervell said
he told Kattar he felt deceived and wanted the money back.
Kattar became furious and accused Shervell of backing out of a
deal, the
jury was told.
Shervell testified Kattar shouted at him: ''You're finished . . .
Your
days are numbered.''
The witness said Kattar claimed ''he was connected with a lot of nice
people who could do damage to us . . . and if our well-being was to be
preserved we should come up with the rest of the $100,000.''
Unless the remaining $67,00 was produced in two days, Kattar threatened
that ''the church is going to come down,'' Shervell testified.
During his investigation, Shervell said he learned that another former
Bostoer, Larry Reservitz, had confessed to church officials that he was
involved in the attempt to pass the $2 million forged check.
dohert;12/09 NKELLY;12/10,12:15 KATTAR10
KEYWORDS: RELIGION TRIAL

rhill

Sep 12, 2009, 7:51:40 AM9/12/09
Tilman Hausherr wrote:
> Larry Reservitz is apparently back, and his name is now Larry Reynolds,
> according to this article:
> http://www.startribune.com/local/59084527.html?page=2&c=y
>
> About Larry Reservitz:
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/U.S._v._Kattar_840_F.2d_118_%281988%29

There goes the "[name redacted]" :D

http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library.php?t=Larry+Joseph+Reservitz+%28aka+Larry+Reynolds%29

--
Ray.

Tilman Hausherr

Sep 12, 2009, 1:54:40 PM9/12/09
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:51:40 -0400, rhill <rh...@xenu-directory.net>
wrote:

We don't know for *sure* whether these Larry people are the same. The
article only tells that Ponzi man Tom Petters claims that they are.

Reading the old articles, its kind of weird that the main criminal,
Larry Reservitz, got away while some minor people (like George Kattar)
were convicted. I guess its the old rule that the first one who makes a
deal stays out of jail.

Tilman

rhill

Sep 15, 2009, 8:23:46 AM9/15/09
Tilman Hausherr wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:51:40 -0400, rhill <rh...@xenu-directory.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Tilman Hausherr wrote:
>>> Larry Reservitz is apparently back, and his name is now Larry Reynolds,
>>> according to this article:
>>> http://www.startribune.com/local/59084527.html?page=2&c=y
>>>
>>> About Larry Reservitz:
>>> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/U.S._v._Kattar_840_F.2d_118_%281988%29
>> There goes the "[name redacted]" :D
>>
>> http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library.php?t=Larry+Joseph+Reservitz+%28aka+Larry+Reynolds%29
>
> We don't know for *sure* whether these Larry people are the same. The
> article only tells that Ponzi man Tom Petters claims that they are.
>
> Reading the old articles, its kind of weird that the main criminal,
> Larry Reservitz, got away while some minor people (like George Kattar)
> were convicted. I guess its the old rule that the first one who makes a
> deal stays out of jail.
>
> Tilman

Star Tribune (Sep. 14, 2009)
"Mystery past of Petters associate unfolds"

/=====

Newspaper clippings, court rulings and other public documents leave
little doubt that the co-defendant known as Larry Reynolds is actually
Larry Reservitz, a swindler and drug trafficker who had associations
with the New England mob in the 1980s and eventually was placed in the
government's witness protection program.

http://www.startribune.com/business/59288882.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DU2EkP7K_V_GD7EaPc:iLP8iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU7DYaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUs
\=====

--
Ray.

Tilman Hausherr

Sep 27, 2009, 10:57:37 AM9/27/09
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:49:48 +0200, Tilman Hausherr
<tilman...@snafu.de> wrote:

>Larry Reservitz is apparently back, and his name is now Larry Reynolds,
>according to this article:
>http://www.startribune.com/local/59084527.html?page=2&c=y
>
>About Larry Reservitz:
>http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/U.S._v._Kattar_840_F.2d_118_%281988%29