Study Tech in Louisiana public school?`

banchukita

Apr 23, 2007, 12:40:28 PM4/23/07
On ABLE (Association for Better Living and Education)'s Statement of
Program Service Accomplishments, part of the 990 form they filed with
the IRS in 2005, they describe their assistance to Social Betterment
Corporations - Applied Scholastics, Criminon, Narconon and the Way to
Happiness Foundation.

In addition to totally untraceable "charitable and educational
programs" (such as working with the Nigerian federal government to
establish intervention and rehabilitation programs for street youth
and gangs known as the Area Boys; and "getting Study Technology
training done in Palestine") there is this interesting bit:'

" - At the request of the Mayor of Baton Rouge, ABLE sent a project to
implement Study Technology at the Prescott Middle School, which was on
the "No Child Left Behind" critical list. Close to 150 students
participated in a rigorous study skills and literacy program. A study
showed exceptional results with students graduating and going on to
high school."

Keep in mind that the 2005 990 reports on activities that occurred in
2004.

According to information on greatschools.net, Prescott Middle School
is indeed a Title 1 school with 93% eligible for free or reduced lunch
program.

In 2003, the LEAP 21 standardized test results showed 20% on level for
English/Language Arts.
In 2004, this result was 21%.
In 2005, it plummeted to 14%.
In 2006, back up to 25%.
(state average for 2006 is 55%)

So if the Applied Scholastics program was in place for the 2004-2005
school year, as reported on the 990, it sure as hell didn't help. I
am left wondering what 'study' was referenced, and how the causal link
was drawn between the students graduating and their program.

I wonder if the mayor/president of Baton Rouge, Kip Holden, really
requested that Study Tech be implemented at Prescott, which is now in
its 4th year as a 'needs improvement' designation with No Child Left
Behind.

Is this going to be another one of those 1 million kids in South
Africa disappearance cases?

-maggie, human being

Feisty

May 3, 2007, 5:26:36 PM5/3/07

"banchukita" <banch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On ABLE (Association for Better Living and Education)'s Statement of
> Program Service Accomplishments, part of the 990 form they filed with
> the IRS in 2005, they describe their assistance to Social Betterment
> Corporations - Applied Scholastics, Criminon, Narconon and the Way to
> Happiness Foundation.
>
> In addition to totally untraceable "charitable and educational
> programs" (such as working with the Nigerian federal government to
> establish intervention and rehabilitation programs for street youth
> and gangs known as the Area Boys; and "getting Study Technology
> training done in Palestine") there is this interesting bit:'
>
> " - At the request of the Mayor of Baton Rouge, ABLE sent a project to
> implement Study Technology at the Prescott Middle School, which was on
> the "No Child Left Behind" critical list. Close to 150 students
> participated in a rigorous study skills and literacy program. A study
> showed exceptional results with students graduating and going on to
> high school."

This would assume that they are receiving NCLB funding? I looked a bit here,
searching under "Baton Rouge Louisiana Title 1"

http://www.ed.gov/searchResults.jhtml?oq=baton+roughe+louisiana&odq=baton+roughe+louisiana+&rq=1&tx=title+1+&GO+-+Submit+Search.x=0&GO+-+Submit+Search.y=0&GO+-+Submit+Search=submit

Even using Prescott Middle School in the search field - "Search Within Result" did
not see anything. Could one of the other schools have been used to sub out the
tutoring or whatever they used during these years?

I was curious to see if there were NCLB funds specifically designated to Prescott and
moreover, a number to compare to the information in dollars you are finding.

Maureen