Mark Foley Finds Asylum in Scientology "Sauna" Rehab

Woggle

Oct 5, 2006, 1:23:06 AM10/5/06
Note: this was article written by a Pschoanalyst...

http://disembedded.newsvine.com/_news/2006/10/04/385484-mark-foley-finds-asylum-in-scientology-sauna-rehab

News Type: Event - Wed Oct 4, 2006 2:19 AM EDT

Mark Foley Lands in Clearwater (FL) Scientology Rehab

For the past thirty years, Scientology has made the city of Clearwater,
Florida, its worldwide spiritual headquarters, its Mecca. There are
approximately 8,500 Scientologists living and working in Clearwater,
more than in any other city in the world outside of Los Angeles.
Scientologists own more than 200 businesses in Clearwater. They sit on
the boards of the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Boy
Scouts.

Members of the church run schools and private tutoring programs,
day-care centers and NARCONON, a drug-rehab clinic. Narconon, which
relies upon "sauna" detox, has been documented as having been
founded and under the absolute control of the Church of Scientology.

In 2004, The St. Petersburg Times dubbed Clearwater, a community of
108,000 people, "Scientology's Town." On the newspaper's front
page was a photograph of Scientology's newest building, a vast,
white, Mediterranean Revival-style edifice known within Scientology
circles as the "Super Power" building. Occupying a full square
block of downtown, this structure, which has been under construction
since 1998, is billed as the single largest Scientology church in the
world. When it is finally completed in late 2006 at an estimated final
cost of $50 million, it will have 889 rooms on six floors, an indoor
sculpture garden and a large Scientology museum. The crowning touch
will be a two-story, illuminated Scientology cross that will shine over
the city of Clearwater like a beacon.

One political blogger has written:

"Gay sex with children, underage drinking, gross e-mails and IMs,
Congress, the Republicans, Macaca, rehab ... you were probably thinking
there was no possible way this story could get better. Oh ye of little
faith, how about a heaping helping of Scientology? A trusty Scientology
Investigator has discovered this detail:

"Foley sent his "Gone to Detox Mansion" fax from Clearwater,
Florida. Are there any rehab joints there that aren't run by
Scientology? Remember, that's the same cult that says they can
'cure' homosexuality ...."

Woggle

Oct 5, 2006, 1:54:36 AM10/5/06
Full text of the above article, from the author's own web site:

http://disembedded.wordpress.com/2006/10/03/battleground-foley-a-scientology-sauna-rehab/

Battleground Foley: A Scientology Narconon "Sauna" Rehab?

Posted by disembedded on October 3rd, 2006

Church of Scientology: Clearwater (FL)

Foley: Clearwater Rehab

The withering little downtown area of Clearwater, Florida, has a beauty
parlor, a pizza shop and a couple of run-down saloons, as well as a
bunch of aging bungalows and some old storefronts that look as if they
haven't seen any customers in years. There are few cars and almost
no one walking on the streets. There is, however, a fleet of gleaming
white and blue ones that slowly crawl through town, stopping at regular
intervals to discharge a small army of tightly organized, young, almost
exclusively white men and women, all clad in uniform preppy attire:
khaki, black or navy-blue trousers and crisp white, blue or yellow
dress shirts.

Some wear pagers on their belts; others carry briefcases. The men have
short hair, and the women keep theirs pulled back or tucked under
headbands that match their outfits. No one crosses against the light,
and everybody calls everybody else "sir," even when the "sir"
is a woman. They move throughout the center of Clearwater in tight
clusters, from corner to corner, building to building. This regimented
mass represents the "Sea Organization," the most dedicated and
elite members of the Church of Scientology.

For the past thirty years, Scientology has made the city of Clearwater

its worldwide spiritual headquarters, its Mecca, or its Temple Square.
There are 8,300 or so Scientologists living and working in Clearwater,

more than in any other city in the world outside of Los Angeles.
Scientologists own more than 200 businesses in Clearwater. They sit on
the boards of the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Boy
Scouts.

Members of the church run schools and private tutoring programs,
day-care centers and NARCONON, a drug-rehab clinic. Narconon, which
relies upon "sauna" detox, has been documented as having been
founded and under the absolute control of the Church of Scientology.

In July 2004, The St. Petersburg Times dubbed Clearwater, a community

of 108,000 people, "Scientology's Town." On the newspaper's
front page was a photograph of Scientology's newest building, a vast,
white, Mediterranean Revival-style edifice known within Scientology
circles as the "Super Power" building. Occupying a full square
block of downtown, this structure, which has been under construction
since 1998, is billed as the single largest Scientology church in the
world. When it is finally completed in late 2006 at an estimated final
cost of $50 million, it will have 889 rooms on six floors, an indoor
sculpture garden and a large Scientology museum. The crowning touch
will be a two-story, illuminated Scientology cross that will shine over
the city of Clearwater like a beacon.

Foley: Gone to Narconon Detox Mansion

The widely-read investigative political blog, Wonkette, has come up
with this juicy bite of information:

"Gay sex with children, underage drinking, gross e-mails and IMs,
Congress, the Republicans, Macaca, rehab ... you were probably thinking
there was no possible way this story could get better. Oh ye of little

faith, how about a heaping helping of Scientology? First, our trusty
Scientology Investigator sent us this detail:

"Foley sent his "Gone to Detox Mansion" fax from Clearwater,
Florida. Are there any rehab joints there that aren't run by
Scientology? Remember, that's the same cult that says they can
'cure' homosexuality ...."

Clearwater is known as the town Scientology built ... or at least the
town Scientology almost completely redeveloped. Clearwater is also
home to Narconon, L. Ron Hubbard's homemade rehab program. And it
turns out Foley was no stranger in Clearwater. At a 2003 Scientology
meeting, Foley gave a speech and was photographed happily accepting
"leatherbound copies of Dianetics and The Way to Happiness." In
1999, Foley joined three other Scientology-friendly politicians in
condemning Germany for outlawing Scientology; German law is very strict
about cults, because of previous problems. The Clearwater
Scientologists also held a fund-raiser for Foley's aborted Senate
run; he dropped out after the gay thing was mentioned.

And on Friday, the Creative Loafing blog in Tampa reported that Foley
attended a Scientology gala in Los Angeles five years ago: Memories of
Mark Foley (Creative Loafing)

And Finally: CLEARWATER BUSINESS ASSOCIATION HOSTS FLORIDA CONGRESSMAN
(Church of Scientology)."

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006 at 9:11 pm and is
filed under Religion, Blog, politics, Photography, Political, Personal
Thoughts, Rumors, Religion/Politics, Gay, George W. Bush, Mental Health
Issues, Personalties, Adolescents, News/Journals. You can follow any
response, or trackback from your own site.

==============================
==============================

The anti-psych spammers here on ars will not like that this article was
written by a Psychoanalyst.

For information, this article was written by "disembedded" who
describes himself as
"Psychoanalyst and a calm (post) post-modern fellow."

http://disembedded.newsvine.com/?more=About

About disembedded

I work with young people, providing contemporary relational
psychotherapy. In addition to more than forty published articles,
authored or co-authored books include the following:
Residential Treatment
The Forsaken Child: Essays on Individual and Group Care
On Transitions from Group Care: Homeward Bound
Psychotherapy in Group Care: Making Life Good Enough

I'm associated with a major research university, but at home enjoy
reading, writing, getting involved creative post-modern things, New Age
music, maintaining my website Et Cetera: Publick and Privat
Curiositiesand spending quiet time alone.

Ed

Oct 5, 2006, 8:52:23 AM10/5/06
There's no evidence in any of this that Foley is in a Scn or Narconon
program, only speculation. Don't report speculation as news.

Ed

Todd

Oct 5, 2006, 5:02:23 PM10/5/06

"Ed" <met...@aol.com> wrote in message news:4525000...@aol.com...

> There's no evidence in any of this that Foley is in a Scn or Narconon
> program, only speculation. Don't report speculation as news.
>
> Ed

Spoken like a true $$cientologogist ashamed of their own cult.

barbz

Oct 5, 2006, 7:56:01 PM10/5/06
Oh, shut it! Ed isn't a Scientologist, and there has been no definite
statement regarding Foley's rehab location. Learn who the playahs are
here before you shoot off your mouth and look stupid!

--
"I'm for the separation of church and hate."

Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC(wdne)
xenu...@netscape.net

banchukita

Oct 5, 2006, 8:26:36 PM10/5/06

Ed has a valid point, whether he's a Scientologist or not.

I have yet to see a reputable news source confirm Foley's presence in a
Scn, Inc. facility.

If someone has, kindly post a link?

-maggie, human being

jerald

Oct 5, 2006, 8:29:08 PM10/5/06
I don't think he would be in a scientology center. His lawer said he
was abused as a child in a way that seems they might use it as a
defense. And that would bring mental illness into the mix.

jerald

Todd

Oct 6, 2006, 4:17:29 AM10/6/06

"barbz" <xenu...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Todd wrote:
>> "Ed" <met...@aol.com> wrote in message news:4525000...@aol.com...
>>> There's no evidence in any of this that Foley is in a Scn or Narconon
>>> program, only speculation. Don't report speculation as news.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> Spoken like a true $$cientologogist ashamed of their own cult.
> Oh, shut it! Ed isn't a Scientologist, and there has been no definite
> statement regarding Foley's rehab location. Learn who the playahs are here
> before you shoot off your mouth and look stupid!
>
> --
Oh, shut it! You all like to deny what you are. Learn who the playahs are
here before you shoot off your mouth because you already look stupid.

banchukita

Oct 6, 2006, 7:05:15 AM10/6/06

Oh, you shouldna' done that. Barbz, go easy on him, I'm sure he's very
young.

Look, just go play The Sims some more, it'll be less painful, 'kay?

-maggie, human being

barbz

Oct 6, 2006, 8:48:23 AM10/6/06
Very good. You've mastered cut and paste. Next, perhaps we can trust you
with the glitter and sequins.

barbz

Oct 6, 2006, 8:51:25 AM10/6/06

Crikey, isn't he a git then!

Ed

Oct 6, 2006, 9:06:22 AM10/6/06

jerald wrote:

> I don't think he would be in a scientology center. His lawer said he
> was abused as a child in a way that seems they might use it as a
> defense. And that would bring mental illness into the mix.
>
> jerald

And above all, as I said, Foley is so radioactive now that it
is absolutely #1 Scn policy to make themselves distant from him. He's
trash. Can you imagine the harm it would do to their "PR Area Control"
if Scn gets associated with Foley in the public image?

Ed

Ed

Oct 6, 2006, 9:07:02 AM10/6/06

jerald wrote:

> I don't think he would be in a scientology center. His lawer said he
> was abused as a child in a way that seems they might use it as a
> defense. And that would bring mental illness into the mix.
>
> jerald

And above all, as I said, Foley is so radioactive now that it

is absolutely #1 Scn policy to make themselves distant from him. He's
trash. Can you imagine the harm it would do to their "PR Area Control"
if Scn gets associated with Foley in the public image?

Ed

barbz

Oct 6, 2006, 9:42:04 AM10/6/06
Ed wrote:

> jerald wrote:
>> I don't think he would be in a scientology center. His lawer said he
>> was abused as a child in a way that seems they might use it as a
>> defense. And that would bring mental illness into the mix.
>>
>> jerald
>
> And above all, as I said, Foley is so radioactive now that it
> is absolutely #1 Scn policy to make themselves distant from him. He's
> trash. Can you imagine the harm it would do to their "PR Area Control"
> if Scn gets associated with Foley in the public image?
>
> Ed

Too late. It took them days to remove him from their websites. In the
meantime, anyone could google "Mark Foley Scientology" and find reams of
info connecting his support to the cult.

The cult sure has good taste in pet politicians!

>> banchukita wrote:

>>> Ed has a valid point, whether he's a Scientologist or not.
>>>
>>> I have yet to see a reputable news source confirm Foley's presence in a
>>> Scn, Inc. facility.
>>>
>>> If someone has, kindly post a link?
>>>
>>> -maggie, human being

Zinj

Oct 6, 2006, 10:39:52 AM10/6/06
In article <r2tVg.1858$La2.449@fed1read08>,
xenu...@netscape.net says...

> Ed wrote:
> >
> > jerald wrote:
> >> I don't think he would be in a scientology center. His lawer said he
> >> was abused as a child in a way that seems they might use it as a
> >> defense. And that would bring mental illness into the mix.
> >>
> >> jerald
> >
> > And above all, as I said, Foley is so radioactive now that it
> > is absolutely #1 Scn policy to make themselves distant from him. He's
> > trash. Can you imagine the harm it would do to their "PR Area Control"
> > if Scn gets associated with Foley in the public image?
> >
> > Ed
>
> Too late. It took them days to remove him from their websites. In the
> meantime, anyone could google "Mark Foley Scientology" and find reams of
> info connecting his support to the cult.
>
> The cult sure has good taste in pet politicians!

It's amusing to hear the 'absolute' statements from all corners
here, when, the *fact* is that we don't have enough information
to 'know' anything.

What we do know is that Foley claims to be in 'rehab'; has had
Scientology connections and it *appears* that some message
relating to his 'rehab' indicates some Clearwater connection.

That's it.

It's reasonable to surmise that the 'Church' would like to avoid
any public association with Foley. More than reasonable, in
fact, since they have already begun to 'disappear' him from
their websites where they earlier proudly proclaimed their close
ties.

*However*, we do *not* know the extent of Foley's
'relationship' with the 'Church' because we almost *never* know
the secret goings-on in the 'Church' and it is a dangerous
pitfall to assume that we *do* know what's going on in the
'Church' from what's visible or judging by what would be 'sane'
or 'reasonable' or 'logical' etc.

The 'Church' is beyond the pale and it's *always* worse than we
think.

We *do not know* the extent of the 'Church's' involvement with
Foley; we *do not know* the extent of its current involvement
with Foley; we *do not know* the 'Church's' or Foley's
motivations for whatever involvement they previously had (beyond
the obvious PR element, which is now, naturally, defunct.)

We don't know. We don't know. We don't know.
But; it's not inconceivable that there *may* be some ongoing
'relationship' between the 'Church' and Foley because *nothing*
relating to Scientology is 'inconceivable', except honesty,
straightforwardness and candor.

*If* there is some continued support by the 'Church' of Foley,
it is *obviously* not based on any 'friendship' or 'loyalty' or
'PR Value', but something deeper and darker and it's worth
asking whether there is any such ongoing support or
relationship.

*If*, not *is*.

Zinj
--
You Can Lead a Clam to Reason; but You Can't Make Him Think

Todd

Oct 6, 2006, 11:44:15 AM10/6/06

"barbz" <xenu...@netscape.net> wrote in message
That $cientology technique doesn't work. You are so friggin scared to have
Foley connected with your little cult. What a whimp.

Ed

Oct 6, 2006, 3:42:05 PM10/6/06

"If" indeed. Any possible "support" now of Foley could only
be some hypothetical fairly distant future thing where he gives them a
huge amount of money in exchange for some "case handling". I'm sure
Foley can live without that. In the present the C of $ won't talk with
Foley or his agents because they are afraid of any possible SP
catching them in the act and putting it on the net.

Ed

Zinj

Oct 6, 2006, 4:10:49 PM10/6/06
In article <4526B18D...@aol.com>, met...@aol.com says...

<snip>

> "If" indeed. Any possible "support" now of Foley could only
> be some hypothetical fairly distant future thing where he gives them a
> huge amount of money in exchange for some "case handling". I'm sure
> Foley can live without that. In the present the C of $ won't talk with
> Foley or his agents because they are afraid of any possible SP
> catching them in the act and putting it on the net.
>
> Ed

My objection to the 'absolute' statements and assertions so far
is exactly to this kind of 'only' statement.

We have no idea of what Foley's past or current relationship to
the 'Church' is, and, there are more things possible in the
catacombs of Scientology Suppuration than are dreamed of in our
philosophies.

There is no *only* till the fat Blubbard sings.

In Scientology; *anything* bizarre or disreputable or
underhanded is possible.