Wayne Whitney - Rest In Peace Friend

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

---------------
Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
why he had dropped off the picket scene.
I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
you if you want to let the other critics know.

>>Subject: Wayne Whitney
>>
>> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
>>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
>>that was shown her brother.
>> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
>>let us know when she would like to do this.
---------------

An archive of posts by Wayne:
http://home.icon.fi/~marina/1stpersn/index.htm#WWhitney

--
Ted Mayett OT 1.1
http://xenu.phys.uit.no/cgi-bin/globloc.cgi

Starshadow

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <3574beb...@enews.newsguy.com>, te...@skylink.net says...
Thanks for posting this. Ted, please express my condolances on his
loss, and next chance I get, I will hoist something in his honor...

--
Bright Blessings,

Starshadow SP4, Granny Dyke

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Sorry, forgot to add the Date.

>---------------
>Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
>why he had dropped off the picket scene.
>I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
>sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
>you if you want to let the other critics know.
>
>>>Subject: Wayne Whitney

>>Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:02:50 -0700

Roland

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Ted Mayett (KOX) wrote:

> ---------------
> Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
> why he had dropped off the picket scene.
> I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
> sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
> you if you want to let the other critics know.
>
> >>Subject: Wayne Whitney
> >>
> >> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
> >>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
> >>that was shown her brother.
> >> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
> >>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
> >>let us know when she would like to do this.
> ---------------
>
> An archive of posts by Wayne:
> http://home.icon.fi/~marina/1stpersn/index.htm#WWhitney

I thought his days were numbered. I had already guessed at cancer
or Aids. I am sure he was aware of his impending death. He spent
the last active part of his life protecting people from the fate
that awaited him. Saving people from the destruction of life that
comes with being sucked into the cult of Scientology. I will
always remember his story about when he gave a Xenu flyer to a woman
who was thinking of joining the Co$ after her husband died and his
description of how she ran away from the Co$ like a frightened rabbit.
He saved a life that day, knowing he could never save his own.

Roland

Tilman Hausherr

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In <3574beb...@enews.newsguy.com>, te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett
(KOX)) wrote:

>>> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
>>>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
>>>that was shown her brother.
>>> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>>>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
>>>let us know when she would like to do this.

This is so sad. We had this before with Daniel Davidson, who was also
(for us) "suddenly" dead. Do you know why he was ill? He had mentioned
something like that.

LilAlex742

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Ted posted news about Wayne that contained:

>>>Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>>>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer.

Party on, Wayne.

LilAlex

I am Dyslexic of Borg! Your ass will be laminated!

jbwebb

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In honor of Wayne, we ought to rename the last post watcher, something
like: Wayne Whitney Memorial Posting Stats.

Remember: it is because of Wayne's initial myterious disappearance that
the weekly posting stats was started.

Take care
Joni

William Barwell

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <MPG.fdc7f50d...@nntp.lightlink.com>,

****************** Deleted ******************

> Thanks for posting this. Ted, please express my condolances on his
>loss, and next chance I get, I will hoist something in his honor...

Sad to hear Wayne is gone, He had a lot of guts to picket
alone when picketing Scientology was a new idea and possibly dangerous.

Pope Charles
SubGenius Pope Of Houston
Slack!

Jour0

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX)) wrote:

Thanks for posting this, Ted,

Until today I don't think I had ever heard of Wayne, but I've started reading
his messages at the archive you mentioned above.

It sounds like Wayne was very active in picketing both the McAllister Street
org and the now-defunct 406 Sutter Street mission (which has moved to that
nearly invisible location three blocks away). The 406 Sutter Street mission was
highly visible, and $cn's disappearance from that building definitely made ME
think $cn was shrinking fast in San Francisco, before I started paying much
attention to a.r.s.

Can we give Wayne credit for $cn moving out of that building?

Jour

P.S. Did Wayne ever get his refund?

Realpch

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

ah, so sad to hear about wayne. it was actually wayne's set of posts that gave
me the nerve to go start picketing myself.
peach

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

P/M

I think this is a good idea.
Perhaps, Whitney's Auto Watcher

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 18:53:43 GMT, til...@berlin.snafu.de (Tilman
Hausherr) wrote:

>This is so sad. We had this before with Daniel Davidson, who was also
>(for us) "suddenly" dead. Do you know why he was ill? He had mentioned
>something like that.

Personally I cannot give any details at this time. I do not have
permission and have already agreed to silence last year.
I'm sure a post by one of Wayne's friends or family will find its way
here after some time has passed, after the grief has faded a bit.

I am sure though, 100%, that this sad moment is not connected with
scientology in any way whatsoever. Before any such speculations even
start, they should stop.

For the next few days we can sing praises to the memory of Wayne
Whitney. And this Saturday some cities can hold a picket in his
memory - a picket that must be followed by pizza and beer :-)

Captain Nerd

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Ted Mayett (KOX) <te...@skylink.net> wrote:

>---------------
>Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
>why he had dropped off the picket scene.
>I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
>sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
>you if you want to let the other critics know.
>
>>>Subject: Wayne Whitney
>>>
>>> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
>>>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
>>>that was shown her brother.
>>> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>>>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
>>>let us know when she would like to do this.
>---------------

Ted,

Please pass on my condolences, and even though I'm not much of a
drinker, I'll hoist a slice and take a sip in his honor.

Cap.

= Mail: cpt...@acces.digex.net Web: http://www.access.digex.net/~cptnerd =
= "By the taping of my glasses, something geeky this way passes" =

LilAlex742

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Ted writes:

>I think this is a good idea.
>Perhaps, Whitney's Auto Watcher

Me, too. How about the Whitney Watcher?

Ralph Hilton

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 02:45:05 GMT, cpt...@access4.digex.net (Captain Nerd)
wrote:

>In article <3574beb...@enews.newsguy.com>,
>Ted Mayett (KOX) <te...@skylink.net> wrote:
>>
>>---------------
>>Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
>>why he had dropped off the picket scene.
>>I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
>>sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
>>you if you want to let the other critics know.

>>---------------
>>

> Ted,
>
> Please pass on my condolences, and even though I'm not much of a
> drinker, I'll hoist a slice and take a sip in his honor.
>
> Cap.

And mine too - he came across as a very honest and caring man. And let us know
when she wants it - I'll make one of my special chile pizzas and anyone who is
here at the time is welcome - with lots of beers too.

14/13 Gumpendorferstrasse
1060 Wien
Öesterreich

Please phone a day ahead - (0043) 1 585 4215

--

Ralph Hilton
http://Ralph.Hilton.org

KBa...@uctlib.uct.ac.za

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3574beb...@enews.newsguy.com>,

te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX)) wrote:
> >> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
> >>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
> >>that was shown her brother.
> >> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
> >>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
> >>let us know when she would like to do this.

Thank you for letting us know. This is really sad, and I can't
help grieving, even though I know Wayne wouldn't have wanted
that. He was just such a wonderful person, of which there are
too few in this world, and this is a massive loss. Over the years,
he kept in touch with me, and I with him, and I knew what an
incredibly gentle and kind spirit he had.

Rest in peace, Wayne, you made a huge difference, in your time
with us.

Love,

Kim Baker

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

All your messages are being read.
Everything is being passed on.
There should be a major update in a few days, probably to this thread.

bc

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

--------
"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care
what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything
you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness.
Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to
insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the
destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be,
be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to
insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as
your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be
yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your
receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this
thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen."
--Madrak, in _Creatures of Light and Darkness_, by Roger Zelazny

the above e-mail address remains fictional...
the real one is bc9424@spamTHIS!.concentric.net (if you remove spamTHIS!.)
*SP2(:)* KoX
...bc...

Ted Mayett (KOX)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

----------------------------
FWD:
From: "Misti Layne Reif" <misti...@email.msn.com>
To: "Ted Mayett (KOX)" <te...@skylink.net>
Subject: RE: Wayne
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 06:21:41 -0700

you can use my name and address. people may have questions and I'll
try to answer them.
misti

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 19:10:25 -0700, you wrote:

By all means yes, he would love it. I couldn't say anything at the
time but they were beginning to pay him back. The SF Org gave back
about 50k, but the mission was so poor that they were about 2 months
behind in payments. He has made it a requirement in his will that
this be pursued by someone.
His sister who is big into COS actually was cut off of services after
they started paying him back. But the SF Org was actually really
trying to help him get the $$ back. I think the guys name was xxxx
xxxx?

I spent a Sunday with him about 2 weeks ago. He didn't look good at
all, bloated, sore, tired, heavy breathing, but his spirits were very
high. He was very accepting and organized about everything. He
thought he would have about 6 more weeks, but I guess when God wants
you, you don't set the timeline. He really was a nice guy and
certainly didn't deserve this. But if it happens to me, I only wish I
could be as strong as he was. He kept trying to make everyone else
laugh no matter how bad it got. I'm glad I got to spend those
last few hours with him. I got a new perspective on life because of
him. Your email was the first I had heard. I wish I had checked it
this weekend.
Sorry about that. I was even going to call him tonight. Thanks for
posting I didn't really want to do it. Please feel free though to use
anything I said here. But it shows that his persistence paid off.
Just before he got sick COS pulled him aside and had a contract for
him to sign. He had them make a few changes, they did and actually
coughed up some $. So he won against COS. If he had been able he
would have been back out there when they lagged in payments. So by
all means I hope everyone pickets. If you know what is going on at
the SF Org please let me know, I'd like to go down there and meet
them. Thanks Ted.
Misti
--------------------------------

Xenubat (Sue M.)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

I only knew him from his ARS posts but he seemed like a really nice
guy. I still remember when he posted once about his pet cat dying; he
apologized for being off-topic but that he was really grief-stricken
over the death of his cat (something I can definitely relate to), and
I remember thinking what a caring, sensitive person he seemed to be.

Also, on my first Scn picket in L.A. this March, I didn't have a clue
about how to make a decent picket sign; then I found one of his posts
about making picket signs on David Gerard's web site, and that was a
big help for me. (he wrote really good picket reports, too!)

Please pass along my condolences.

Sue (SP4)
--
http://www.primenet.com/~xenubat

Catarina Pamnell

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3574beb...@enews.newsguy.com>,
te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX)) wrote:
> >>Subject: Wayne Whitney
> >>
> >> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
> >>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
> >>that was shown her brother.
> >> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
> >>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
> >>let us know when she would like to do this.
> ---------------
>
> An archive of posts by Wayne:
> http://home.icon.fi/~marina/1stpersn/index.htm#WWhitney

I only knew him through his posts, but he seems to have been a special person.
My condoleances to his family.

Catarina

Martin Hunt

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3577d0cf...@enews.newsguy.com>,

te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX)) wrote:

>Subject: Wayne Whitney

>Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:02:50 -0700

> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
>that was shown her brother.
> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
>let us know when she would like to do this.

Goodbye, Wayne. Thank you for leaving us with your story, and thank
you for all the pickets. You were a very brave man; you faced your
fears and stared them down, doing the right thing regardless of
personal risk, and I always admired you for that. You are missed.

I hope that someone who knew him better than I writes an obit; until
then, I'll let Wayne speak for himself:

From: wwhit...@aol.com (WWhit71151)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Wayne Whitney - "My Story"
Date: 15 Jan 1996 13:56:41 -0500
Sender: ro...@newsbf02.news.aol.com

This is Wayne Whitney

I am planning to post "my story" of my experiences both while at the San
Francisco mission at 406 Sutter Street and the ORG at 83 McAllister
Street. You have probably heard this same story time and again but this
time it's MY story. I lived through it. I need to let the world know
what's going on at that "mission" and ORG. I have been writing them
letters for over 4 months now and they still have not responded to me. By
their nonconfront they are driving me to do the very thing that they are
afraid I'll do. Their complete inability to confront me shows that they
have something to hide.

I realize that posts on the internet are like water under the bridge, they
last for a couple of days then they disappear. Because of this I have
decided that the best way to get my story out is to post a series of short
narratives, each one (hopefully) standing on it's own. I want to give
SPECIFIC examples showing HOW I was manipulated by them. I want to give
SPECIFIC examples of the lies I was told, the mental tricks they used on
me and the financial gymnastics they coerced me into to get their hands on
everything I owned.

Having personal experience of how "reactive" $cientologists are (contraray
to what Hubbard claims) I'll try to stay strictly to the facts and then
let you put the "labels" on their actions.

In another parallel thread I NEED to express my opinions of Hubbard and
his "tech." While I was entangled in $cientology my right to communicate
was so severely suppressed. I had a "tech" that was crammed down my throat
that was so unworkable along with thought reform processes run me that I
considered extremely damaging to me. At the same time I had no one that I
could talk to about these things. In an environment like that the level of
frustration and anger that builds up is just incredible. This newsgroup is
my one last outlet that I feel is available to me now.

Hopefully my posts will reach others who are experiencing the same
suppression, frustration, anger and mental manipulations and wake them up
to what is being done TO them. I went through my ordeal isolated and
alone, the way they wanted it. They knew it was the only way they could
have gotten to me. My involvement with them drove me to the brink of
suicide. Now I'm fighting back. I'm not as stupid and evil as they kept
telling me I was.

I WANT MY POSITION TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR ON THIS NEWSGROUP

$cientology is nothing more than a global scam designed by L. Ron Hubbard
to get everyone's money and possessions (as fast as possible) and
then hypnotize them all into dramatizeing his psychotic fantasies. Hubbard
was insane and he created $cientology to propagate his insanity.

At this time I also want to thank all the people who have had the
courage to speak out and stand up for what they believe in. Bob Penny &
the other members of FACTNet, Diane Richardson, Dennis Erlich, and Ron
Newman for maintaining such a wonderful web site. I also want to thank the
wonderful people at the Cult Awareness Network for their dedication and
work. They were the first ones that I contacted that really understood
what I was going through. They were one of my first links back to reality.
I also want to thank all the others whom I WON'T name because of my
promise to them to maintain their privacy. They know who they are.
Finally, I want to thank my good friend who is letting me use her computer
to put in my "comm line" to the world.

If anyone has comments, questions or suggestions on how I can get my story
out more effectively I would love to here from you. I, unlike
$cientologists, DO listen to other points of view.

***

Wayne Whitney - My Story Part 1

INTRODUCTION

This is perhaps one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, swallow
my pride and admit to the world what a fool I was. How could I have been
so coerced into acting so uncharacteristically and let myself get stripped
of nearly all my money, possessions, dignity, self respect and even my own
life? How could I have been so manipulated, especially when I saw through
(what I consider a global scam) right from the start? The signs were all
there for me to see -- I EVEN SAW THEM! My story attempts to answer these
disturbing questions.

My conscious will no longer allow me to sit idly by knowing the exact same
thing is still happening to others. The fact that in San Francisco both
the "mission" at 406 Sutter Street and the "ORG" at 83 Mcallister Street
are still there are proof of this. They wouldn't still be there if they
didn't have a steady supply of "raw meat" (as $cientology staff members
refer to people).

I had NO idea what I was getting into when I first walked in their front
door. By writing my story I'm hoping to show that Scientology is
DEFINITELY NOT what it claims to be. I'm hoping to show how they take the
very "buttons" and unwanted reactions they promise to clear you of and
then turn right around and use them to control and exploit you. I'm hoping
to show how they take all a person's good qualities and turn right around
and use them against you. I'm hoping to show EXACTLY how they were able to
take ME for a ride until my rational mind finally said enough is enough
and saw $cientology for what it really is.

I'm hoping that my experiences are not all in vain. I'm hoping that by
sharing them they will help convince others who are now entangled to get
out and everyone else to stay out. I'm hoping that at least I'll be able
to provide some comfort for those who are still trying to recover by
letting them know that they are not alone.

I want the world to see just what kind of "service" they will receive if
they walk into that San Fransisco mission or ORG. I want everyone to know
exactly what goes on behind their closed "auditing" room doors. I want
everyone to know exactly what they do in their indoctrination rooms. I'm
going to show the world exactly how Scientology was able to take a well
adjusted, caring, productive member of society and turn me into a cold,
heartless individual obsessed with and actually planning on taking my own
life.

I'm going to post my story as a series. I'm going to try to break my
chaotic experiences up into manageable pieces. Since I'm not a writer, I
need to reserve the right to modify or update my posts as either more
facts come to mind or I think of better ways to express myself. What's
important to me now is to get my story out quickly but also as clearly
and accurately as possible.

As always ALL comments and suggestions are appreciated, even encouraged. I
want to get my story out as effectively as possible so that other people
do not have to go through what I went through. People's lives all over the
planet are being wasted, even destroyed by this cult. THIS INSANITY HAS
GOT TO STOP!

PART 1: HOW DID I EVER GET INVOLVED?

SOME BACKGROUND

In life people sometimes become sick or get injured, sometimes seriously.
Look at Christopher Reeves. In 1989 it happened to me.

I've never told anyone about my injury except a few Scientology staff
members. I've always kept it all to myself. For one thing, I never wanted
sympathy. For another I didn't want people to keep asking me how I was.
Most of all I always considered it a weakness, something that I should
just suck up and deal with myself. Now however I feel even this part of
my life needs to be told. It helps show how underneath Scientology's
facade of friendliness and desire to help ("social veneer" as Hubbard
called it) Scientology staff members can be very cold and cruel. Besides
all the enforced poverty and mental torment people are being put through
they need to know that they are putting themselves at grave risk if they
let themselves get seduced in by Scientology's grandiose claims of
sure-fire cures.

MY BEGINNING

Because of my injury one morning in 1989 the muscles in my left shoulder
went into a spasm. It caused pain so severe that I could hardly move. I
applied heat and took LOTS of aspirin. The pain lessened somewhat but a
few weeks later my left hand started going numb. This numbness moved up my
arm until it finally reached my shoulder. At this point I realized that it
wasn't going to get better by itself so I went in to see a chiropractor.
From the X-rays it was obvious that several vertebrae were out of position
and pinching some nerves. For the next several months I got regular
adjustments until all the bones were back in place and all the numbness
was gone. Just when I thought I was back to normal the RIGHT side went
into a spasm and the exact same thing happened again, this time on the
right side. I continued for several more months until the numbness was
gone. This time however the pain in my shoulders never went away. It would
get better than worse or move from here to there. It just became a
persistent pain. This lasted for well over a year.

Then a few days after Christmas vacation in 1991 my condition suddenly and
rapidly deteriorated. Overnight the pain spread everywhere. My blood
pressure went out of control and began to skyrocket. I developed constant,
severe headaches usually lasting all night and day. I developed back and
neck spasms so bad that they kept pulling all my bones out of place. The
doctor put me on Napresene for my headaches and Corgard for my high blood
pressure. I increased the number of chiropractic adjustments I was
getting. I began getting massage therapy several times a week. I even
began getting expensive acupuncture treatments. Nothing I tried was
working. I just continued to get worse and worse. My massage therapist
even gave up on me saying there was nothing more she felt she could do. At
one point I nearly died.

This continued for 7 months. There was no end in sight. The constant pain
was finally beginning to wear me down. I was losing all hope. I was very
scared, desperate and alone. The acupuncture DID finally manage to bring
my blood pressure back under control. It stabilized my condition. It even
started to produce signs of improvement but the pain was still often so
bad that most evenings and weekends I would just lye in bed on a heating
pad, drinking beer, downing large amounts of over-the-counter
painkillers.

This was the physical and emotional state I was in when my sister appeared
at my front door one summer evening in 1991.

MY FIRST INDOCTRINATION

My sister was all excited. I invited her in and she soon began talking
about this new "technology" that she had just discovered. We talked about
it for a bit then she asked me if I knew anything about "Scientology." I
told her that all I had heard were bad things about it. At that time my
only exposure had been a talk show I had seen several years earlier,
probably in the mid 80s. It was a show that I wasn't paying much attention
to but it still managed to make a strong impression on me. I remembered
one of the guests had been a Scientologist and I heard him talk about
"having to control other people." I remembered the audience being very
hostile to him and how he had to put on this fake smile as if to show
that the hostility didn't bother him. Even though he was only on TV this
guy still gave me the creeps. I sensed that he was dangerous, someone to
be avoided.

I told my sister all this. She responded with, "Oh that's because you
don't understand Scientology."

She just continued on by telling me that the "objectives" she had just
completed had suddenly brought her into "present time", that the "Purif"
had raised her IQ over 30 points. She explained that all ills are
psychosomatic in nature and that Scientology would definitely cure all the
pain I was in. She told me, "This 'tech' works on everyone 100% of the
time."

Now ever since high school I believed in psychosomatic illnesses. It was
how I explained the back injury that caused me to have to abandon track in
sophomore year. It was how I explained why my physical condition was so
chronic and not responding well to treatment. I thought surely it was
something I was doing mentally that was preventing me from getting better.
After all I was already trying every "physical" therapy with little
results. I was very frustrated because I hadn't yet been able to use my
belief in psychosomatic illnesses to cure myself. All my attempts to use
mental techniques only seemed to make me worse. This observation (whether
real or imagined) was later effectively exploited by Scientology.

Here was my sister telling me that a technology had been discovered which
COULD handle psychosomatic illnesses "100% of the time". All of a sudden
it seemed my prayers had been answered. Someone had succeeded where I had
failed. I was in constant, terrible pain and very desperate and she was
offering me a sure-fire cure, a cure that matched the one last hope that I
was clinging to. THIS WAS THE FIRST PIECE OF BAIT I BIT ON! I immediately
became distracted from the reservations that I had just moments earlier
and became interested in learning more.

She continued on by telling me that we all had unwanted reactions and that
these were what were holding us back in life. She said these reactions
were caused by something called "engrams" and that $cientology would clear
them from me allowing me to reach my full potential. THIS WAS THE SECOND
PIECE OF BAIT I BIT ON! How many times in life have I wanted to be more?
How many times have I felt I wasn't being my real self? How many times
have I felt that some unseen force was holding me back? How many times
have I felt that just when my life was getting on the fast track something
would kick me back down again? There were even times when, for no apparent
reason, my eyes would swell up with tears and I'd get all choked up. This
would last about 10 or 15 seconds then subside leaving me wondering, "What
the hell was that all about?" Now I knew -- ALL THESE OBSTACLES,
NEGATIVE THOUGHTS, EMOTIONS, AND UNWANTED REACTIONS WERE CAUSED BY
"ENGRAMS." Something in my subconscious mind clicked and said this all
made sense.

She finally said, "Let me take you in with me tomorrow so that you can get
more data." Being interested and hopeful that here was finally something
that would get to the bottom of my pain I agreed. It seemed like a wise
thing to do at the time. I was desperate and my mind was open to anything
that might take my pain away. At the time I ONLY intended to go in and get
more information so that I could make an informed decision. At the time I
had no reason to distrust my own sister.

The next day I walked in the mission's front door, hopeful, with an open
mind, my defenses down. I certainly had NO idea that walking in the front
door of that "mission" at 406 Sutter Street in San Francisco on Sunday
Sept. 1, 1991 would be the most dangerous thing I ever did in my life.

***

Wayne Whitney - My Story Part 2

PART 2: My First "Reg Cycle"

The next morning my sister and I drove to the San Fransisco mission. The
instant we walked in the door she acted as though she belonged there. She
was all excited and everyone she ran into appeared to be her best friend.
This made a favorable impression on me. I immediately began to feel "at
home." I wanted to feel a part of this camaraderie. By the time we got to
the top of the stairs we were surrounded by "staff" members. They seemed
really interested in me and gave me the impression that they really cared
about my well being. With all the friendly attention directed at me I
began to feel kind of special, kind of important.

After a few minutes my sister was hustled off and I was ushered into a
little room where they had me take this "free" personality test. I filled
it out as honestly as I could. This took about an hour.

While my test was being evaluated they had me watch a video that praised
Hubbard. I began to have thoughts like, "Hey this seems like a really
great guy. Look at all the things he's accomplished in his life. Look at
all the books he's written. Look at all the medals he's received. WOW!"
When presented with the actual facts years later I came to the conclusion
that these claims had all been lies. At the time I didn't know this.

After the video they gave me this essay written by Hubbard called "My
Philosophy." I REALLY wish that I could quote the whole essay here so that
you could see for yourself exactly how something like this would have such
a dramatic impact on me. Unfortunately they have a tendency to sue people
who violate their copyrights. My belief is that they are so afraid that
everyone will find out what they are doing that they sue to keep their
real intentions hidden. Because of this I will have to severely shorten it
and then paraphrase my summary. It might at least give you SOME idea how I
believe I was further deceived, misguided and manipulated.

In his essay Hubbard starts out saying how knowledge should be for
everyone and not just the elite. He says it must be able to be applied. He
says the "tech" should only be used to show people how to free themselves
and should not be crammed down their throat. He talks about how unselfish
he is, that he has been all around the world and has seen such unbearable
suffering and that his greatest pleasure in life is helping others out of
that misery. He talks about how he was injured in the war and how his own
family abandoned him because of his injuries. He describes how hopeless
everything had become for him. After that he claims to have totally cured
himself from all his ills using the "tech" that he discovered. He then
concludes by saying that the only thing that brings him sadness is seeing
evil people trying to keep his "tech" to themselves thus preventing it
from helping others.

Again when presented with the real facts years later I have to conclude
that this was all a pack of lies. Once again I didn't know this at the
time. Instead I swallowed the "bait."

By this time they had created the effect they wanted in me. They had
softened me up. They had made me receptive. Now I was primed, ready for
the sales pitch. It was then that I was brought in to see "THE REG" (the
sales person). This was to be my first (of many) encounters with Amy.

When we first walked into her office I noticed that she didn't even look
at me. She seemed preoccupied. It seemed rather odd because everyone else
had seemed so friendly. We sat down at her desk. She immediately pulled
out the results of my personality test and quickly went to work. She
started by pointing out all the places where I scored "low." In no time
she had me talking about my "ruins," areas in my life that I thought could
be improved. This was no challenge for her because, as I said, I walked
into the building with my defenses down. I still believed that she had
good intentions for me. I trusted her. Everything I brought up she replied
with, "Scientology auditing can fix that." She explained how auditing
could fix everything, that it could bring my personality graph all the way
up to the top of the chart.

It was here that she suddenly dropped the first bombshell. She said, "If
you don't get auditing all these things down here (pointing to the lowest
items) will only get worse." Then she launched into this thing called the
"dwindling spiral." She explained that I would come back life after life
and that if I didn't get auditing all my ruins would only continue to
spiral downward.

She then started rapidly talking about these things called the "bridge,"
the "grades," the "bank" and the "state of clear." She talked in a blur.
She wasn't making any sense to me. I became very confused. When I am
confused I tend to go a bit blank, I become somewhat dazed like in a
trance. I kept asking direct questions to clear up my confusion and try to
understand what she was talking about. For the life of me I could not get
a straight answer out of her. I thought to myself at the time that she was
just a very poor communicator. I now believe she was doing it on purpose.
I've experienced how this technique when applied repeatedly to me REALLY
CAN knock out my analytical, rational mind. I didn't know any of this at
the time.

After several hours of this constant, rapid barrage of confusing outflow
she finally mentioned something called the Life Repair Program. She said I
needed to sign up for it right away. She said, "Wayne, I can see your
really reaching for the bridge. This program will handle everything you
said you wanted handled. All it will cost you is $2,500." I asked, "Is
that ALL everything here will cost me?" She replied in a very definitive
voice, "YES, that's all."

I then got up to leave saying, "I'd like to go home and think about all
this before I make a decision." She immediately jumped up and shot back,
"NO!" She ran around her desk to physically stop me from leaving. She
went on to explain, "Every time I let someone go home and think about it
they don't come back. Their bank gets in their way. This is your one last
chance to go free. I can't bare to see you not make it. You don't have to
do it alone anymore. I'm here to help you. Wayne, I'm your friend you
can trust me. We'll never abandon you like that other group did."

In this one last desperate "shotgun blast" she finally managed to get to
me. All at once she hit several deep "buttons" that I had.

In the mid 80's I was involved with a group in Boulder Creek. They were
the most lovable people I could ever hope to meet. They were all so open
and honest. I could totally trust them. I could tell them anything. My
involvement with them completely changed my life around. For me
friendships like that are so important, they make my life worth living.
With them I began to become the person that I always wanted to be. Then
suddenly after two years, for reasons that I still can't explain, the door
was slammed shut in my face. I was not allowed to go back there anymore. I
was devastated! For two weeks I walked around in a daze. It took almost a
year before the emotional pain subsided enough for me to go out and start
getting involved in life again. Now Amy suddenly stirred all those painful
memories up again. I never wanted to have to experience that feeling of
sudden abandonment again, especially from someone I cared so much about.
Now she was giving me assurances that it never would.

Another thing she hit was that I already knew that I sometimes held myself
back in life, that sometimes it took someone else's encouragement or
support to give me that little extra boost that I needed to try something
new. Because of this I started rationalizing and said to myself, "Maybe
she's right. Maybe if I go home and 'think' about it I'll chicken out or
change my mind and miss out on my 'ONE LAST CHANCE to go free.' A sense of
urgency arose when I heard that phrase. I continued rationalizing, "Maybe
my doubts NOW are just me holding myself back as usual. Maybe I SHOULD
listen to her. I'm not always right you know. Sometimes it DOES help to
listen to others, it certainly did in Boulder Creek."

I also knew that I often felt that I had to handle life alone. At the time
I had no one that I could really confide in. I missed my friends in
Boulder Creek. I could really confide in them. I also felt that I got
along well with most people but it was always on a friendly, superficial
level. I considered myself fairly successful at most things but for any
real personal growth I needed to be able to share on deeper level with
others. I knew that I sometimes got caught in "loops" and that talking to
someone else really CAN help. Now Amy was promising me that someone else
WOULD BE there for me. I started to believe that Scientology would be
just like what I had with my friends in Boulder Creek, only this time more
"scientific".

In a rapid-fire way Amy kept constantly stirring up all my subconscious
fears, desires, needs and pain. She kept promising me that Scientology
would definitely cure my physical injury. She kept promising me that
Scientology would provide all the things that I felt I needed or wanted.
At the same time I experienced her constantly knocking out my rational
mind, the mind that was trying to analyze what was going on. In normal
life most of this kind of stuff stays submerged and I deal with each thing
as it comes up, usually in the most rational way I know how. In this
environment I was prevented from doing that. Here she was stirring me up
without letting ME be at the controls. THAT'S HOW SHE GOT ME TO ACT SO
UNCHARACTERISTICALLY!

Even after she broke me down this far I STILL had a few more reservations.

I knew my pain was a constant distraction. Because of that I didn't feel
that I would be able to make any real commitments so I asked her, "Will my
injury cause any problems for me going up the bridge?" She replied with,
"Oh no! You just pay me the $2,500 and then 'rocket up the bridge.' You'll
go 'clear' in less than 6 months. Scientology will definitely handle all
the pain your in. It won't be a problem at all."

I finally asked her, "Are you sure your telling me everything? I don't
want to sign up for all this and then not be able to live up to your
expectations. I want everything to be out in the open so there are no
misunderstandings here. If you have any hidden expectations that you're
not telling me about they will only cause problems later." She replied,
"Oh no, I've told you everything."

STILL a little reluctant (and hoping to buy some time to think) I
explained that I didn't have any way to pay her right then. She said,
"Don't worry. You can use one of these." She opens up her top draw and
pulls out a blank check. She said, "You can just write a counter-check
against your checking account. It won't be a problem at all. We do this
all the time."

With my one last excuse shot to pieces I thought to myself, "If $2,500 is
ALL it will cost me, I can afford that. Look at all I'll be getting in
return. Besides, my sister has been praising this 'tech' ever since she
appeared at my door the night before. There MUST be something to it.
Surely she wouldn't get me involved in anything she didn't really believe
in." Still with some reservations but feeling like I didn't have a leg
left to stand on I reluctantly signed the check. Amy grabbed it from me
and practically ran out of the room.

I had NO IDEA that signing that ONE counter-check would eventually end up
costing me over $150,000 and nearly everything I owned.

I remember riding home with my sister that night, tired and confused but
also kind of excited. I left San Francisco feeling that I had just become
part of something good. In less than two weeks I began to feel that I had
sold my soul to the devil.

It was the instant that I handed over that FIRST counter-check that
Scientology got their talons into me. It wasn't until four long years
later when I was finally able to pry them lose. Who knows how long it
will take for me to heal the wounds and erase the scars.

***

Wayne Whitney - My Story Part 3

PART 3: My Ordeal Begins

NOTE

The events described in "My Story" may not be in the EXACT sequence they
occurred. Often these events overlapped or even occurred simultaneously.
Some are composites of a series of similar experiences. Often I wasn't
even sure what was happening when it was happening, the chaos and
confusion I experienced at the S.F. mission at 406 Sutter Street was THAT
bad. Hopefully, however, I will be able to communicate the "essence" of my
experiences so that you can see exactly WHAT they were doing and HOW they
were doing it.

RATIONALIZING AWAY MY CONCERNS AND OBSERVATIONS

Even before my first day at the mission I had already started a pattern of
behavior that was to prove very costly for me (both financially &
emotionally), RATIONALIZING AWAY MY CONCERNS AND OBSERVATIONS.

For example the night my sister first contacted me she called up the
mission and I overheard her say, "Will anyone be there to 'handle' Wayne
tomorrow?" I thought, "That sounds a bit ominous, what do they think I am
an animal." Unfortunately I just blew it off and said to myself, "Oh it
must just be an expression, she can't really mean anything by it."

Then again on my first "reg cycle" Amy talked about me getting my
self-determinism back and yet there she was pressuring me into signing up
RIGHT THEN. She wouldn't even let me go home and consider her proposition
or check out her claims. She wasn't letting me use my own
self-determinism. I rationalized away this contradiction by telling myself
that she pressured me because she really cared about me. After all didn't
she just tell me that she was my friend and only wanted to help? At the
time I WANTED a friend, I WANTED to be able to trust her. These are two
natural instincts of mine.

This habit of rationalizing away my concerns was to be constantly
reinforced by various staff members throughout my involvement at the S.F.
mission. How many times was I to hear phrases like, "Wayne all your doubts
are just your bank trying to destroy you." "Wayne that's just your bank,
don't listen to it." "Don't worry about where the money's going to come
from, your postulates (intentions) are superior to MEST (the physical
universe)." "Don't listen to your bank, it's pretending to be pro-survival
but it's really just trying to destroy you." "Just keep putting your
postulate (and your money) out there and you'll make it up the bridge."

These types of statements were constantly fired at me, usually while I was
under a lot of pressure, a lot of times while I was battling severe
headaches. This high pressure environment often got me to rationalize
away a lot of very VALID concerns that I had. As a result I did a lot of
really stupid things. As I write about them all now I wish more than
anything that I could go back and undo all the mistakes I made back then.

MY FIRST DAY OF "SERVICES"

My sister and I returned the next day. I was immediately brought into a
back room and given some forms to sign. One of the forms I had to sign was
a release form stating that I would never sue $cientology, any of its
members, or even anyone connected to $cientology.

To this day I distinctly remember myself thinking, "Why would I ever want
to sue them? They're here to help me. Why would I want to sue someone
that's trying to help me?" I could think of no reason at the time so I
GLADLY signed. When I handed the forms back to them it was like me telling
them , "Hey, I trust you guys. We're a team now." When I signed those
forms I REALLY BELIEVED that they were going to cure my physical
injuries. I REALLY BELIEVED that once my physical condition was stabilized
I would then be able to help others with the "tech" as well. I was
excited. I wouldn't realize the full significance of this simple act of
signing this form until 4 years later.

After all the forms were signed and handed over to them I was brought in
for my very first "auditing session". I was told that I would be assessed
to find out what needed to be handled. I thought," Great, it will be just
like Boulder Creek where I would be able to talk about what was REALLY
bothering me. From there we would be able to systematically take up each
thing one at a time until they were all resolved, then I would be
'clear'." That was my understanding at the time.

I took my seat, got all comfortable and then picked up -- "THE CANS." I
was instructed to take a deep breath and then let it out through my mouth.
I was asked if I was tired. At this point, for the first time ever, I went
into quite a bit of detail about my physical injury. Up to this time I'd
never opened up to anyone about it. Now I wanted to keep everything out in
the open so that it could all be handled. I felt they deserved my honesty
about all this.

Once all these things had been taken care of the auditor looked me right
in the eyes and said (in a loud voice), "THIS IS THE SESSION." She
immediately started asking me questions like, "Are you a reporter? Are
you here to investigate $cientology? Do you know anyone antagonistic to
$cientology? Are you connected with anyone antagonistic to $cientology?" I
quickly became perplexed. As these types of questions continued I began to
get a little frustrated and I thought, "All I want to do is get better!
All I want is get involved in something where I can help others!" These
types of questions still continued. "Have you ever had any unkind thoughts
of L. Ron Hubbard, Mary Sue Hubbard? Have you ever sued $cientology?" I
began to think, "Why are they asking me all these questions? What have I
done to make them distrust me already? Why are they so paranoid? After all
they came to me, I didn't go looking for them." This type of interrogation
lasted well over an hour ALL AT MY EXPENSE.

Finally the interrogation stopped. The questioning turned to me. I felt
relieved. I thought, "Those must have just been standard questions they
ask everyone. Now that we've gotten THEM out of the way we'll get to me
and handle what I REALLY came here for." Instead,
my auditor continued reading all her questions off the prepared lists that
she had in front of her. Soon I again became frustrated.

You see, years before in Boulder Creek we always took up what I wanted to
take up. Down there, for the first time in my life, I was allowed to share
my REAL thoughts and feelings. I no longer had to suppress what was really
going on inside. Because of that I was learning to take responsibility
for my own thoughts, feelings and actions. As a result I became more able
to control how I viewed and interacted with the world around me. Now,
however, I wasn't being allowed to do that. Instead I always had to
answer MY AUDITOR'S questions. I always had to take up what MY AUDITOR
wanted to take up. I began to wonder how they were going to handle
everything that I wanted handled if they NEVER EVEN ASKED ME.

Finally I asked, "Are you sure you guys are going to handle everything
that I want handled?" After all they told me that this session was to
assess what needed to be handled and I wanted to make sure they got
everything down on paper. She replied, "Yes, everything eventually gets
handled."

Despite my frustration I trusted her. After all didn't they tell me that
this "tech" works on everyone 100% of the time? This reassurance of hers
was to be the start of my endless "hoping." All the way up to the very end
(4 years later) I would always be hoping, " Maybe that one next 'course',
maybe that one next 'repair list', maybe that one next 'grade'."

The session finally ended and we went up to get an "examine." I was later
to learn that the examine was just to make sure that nothing brought up in
session was left "un-handled". I sat down and was told to pick up the
cans. The examiner "Frank" was emotionless, very stoic. He didn't say a
single word that wasn't absolutely necessary. He fiddled with the meter a
bit then said, "Thank you, your needle's floating." I left and went down
to wait in the bookstore lobby.

While I was waiting I overheard someone say that my auditor used to be at
Flag (in Florida) but that she was kicked out because of ethics trouble. I
thought, "That's strange, I thought $cientology was supposed to make
people MORE ethical. I wonder what happened? " You know, I never saw her
again after that day.

MY FIRST DAY "ON COURSE"

My sister accompanied me on my first day "on course." We walked up the
three flights of stairs and entered the indoctrination (course) room for
the first time. As usual she was all excited. She seemed genuinely happy
that I had become involved in $cientology. Her attitude and enthusiasm was
to be a major influence on some of my early decisions to be involved and
(for quite some time) to stay involved. Later as I became more entangled
other forces were to take over.

One of the first things that I noticed when I walked into the room was
that on each table were little baskets containing various objects such as
blocks, paper clips, marbles, and broken pencils. My sister explained that
these were called "demo kits." The idea being that we would use these
various objects to demonstrate the principles that we were studying.
I thought, "Wow my first piece of 'tech.'"

Several minutes later the indoctrination supervisor "Gully" walked into
the room and yelled, "ROLL CALL." He seemed so strict and rigid about the
whole thing. It seemed kind of silly since there was only my sister and
myself in the room. After roll call he said in a loud voice, "O.K. START."

He then called me up to his desk where he at once demanded to see my
invoice. When he was satisfied that I was all paid up he had me work out
an indoctrination schedule. I was then instructed to get out my course
pack, take my seat at a table and start studying.

Each course pack contained the manual you needed to study along with a
course checksheet. The checksheet was the complete list of all the things
that you were supposed to be indoctrinated with on the course. It was a
list of all the things that you needed to read along with all the drills
and demos that you needed to do, ALL IN A SPECIFIC ORDER.
I was never allowed to jump around.

The first course they had signed me up for was the "Communication Course."
I say "they signed me up for" because I was NEVER allowed to decide want I
WANTED to take. THEY always decided for me. It wasn't until several years
later that I read where Hubbard said never let the person decide for
themselves what to take, always TELL them what to take. I didn't know this
or realize the significance of this fact until years later. Since there
was no one in the room that could do the drills with me the supervisor
switched me to the course "How to Improve Relationships with Others."

NOW I was ready to start learning "all the data that I needed to know in
order to handle life."

While I was getting settled the supervisor came rushing over and said,
"Here let me give you a target." He took my checksheet and then seemingly
at random puts an arrow on one item and said, "There, that's your target
for today." I thought, "How odd." At the time I was under the assumption
that this was to be a self-paced, self-motivated course, now all of a
sudden HE'S TELLING ME HOW FAST I SHOULD GO.

On later courses I was to learn that, besides being given a target to
reach every day, we also had to keep track of our "student points."
Student points were determined by such things as how many pages we
"studied", how many words we "cleared", how many drills and "demos" we
did or watched. At the end of the day we would have to plot on a graph on
the wall how many points we made that day. This would remain on display
for EVERYONE TO SEE. On the first couple of courses this was not
required. I was later told that it was "out-gradient" on beginning
courses. In time I was to learn that anything "out-gradient" meant
"anything they didn't want me to know or even see."

In the manual we first went over the basics of how we were to study on the
course.
With the basics covered I then began to read my first real item on my
checksheet. One of the first things I noticed was that I found Hubbard
hard to understand. I've read many good authors before, they were very
clear and easy to understand. It was like they were speaking directly to
me and I could easily grasp what they were trying to communicate.
Hubbard, on the other hand, I found very difficult to understand. He
seemed to ramble on and on. I soon began asking myself, "What's his point
here? What's he trying to say?"

Hubbard wasn't making much sense to me. I noticed that sometimes he would
even contradict himself. I quickly went blank and became confused. If I
remain confused very long I become frustrated. Because of this it was only
natural for me to start asking questions. I wanted get some clarity in
what I was reading, after all I was there to learn something practical,
something useful. It was soon to become obvious to me that questions or
opinions concerning $cientology were not tolerated. In $cientology all
questions or points of disagreement are immediately deflected by a command
from the indoctrination supervisor to "go back and clear up your
misunderstood word." Without being able to ask questions, without being
able to get into a discussion with anyone about what I was reading I soon
began to feel like I was being spoon fed.

As I continued reading I would occasionally yawn. Every time I did the
supervisor would come running over and ask me, "Where were you last
reading." I would point to the spot and he would reply, "Which word did
you go past that you didn't fully understand?" I would take a look and
then tell him "there isn't one." He would then take my book (or whatever I
was reading), choose a word at random and say, "What's the definition of
the word 'the' (for example)." He would continue this until he selected a
word that I couldn't quickly give a clean, clear-cut, "dictionary"
definition to. Then he would say, "Clear your misunderstood word and then
restudy this whole section." After being put through this mindless
exercise a number of times I began to get annoyed. I finally said, "look,
yawning is a natural reaction. It's caused by lack of sleep, lack of
oxygen to the brain, boredom, lack of stimulation, even another person
yawning. It has nothing to do with an MU (misunderstood word)." He totally
ignored me. Instead he mechanically repeated, "Clear up your misunderstood
word and then restudy this whole section." In time I learned (in this
situation) that it was best to just stifle or hide any yawns that might
try to surface.

To make things even worse occasionally he would come up to me and say,
"Here let me give you a spot check." Then he would take whatever I was
reading, pick out words at random and ask me for their definitions. If I
couldn't immediately put one into words I'd have to stop whatever I was
doing, clear the word and then restudy everything from that point on.
Reading Hubbard was confusing enough but then to be constantly distracted
by all that "word clearing." For me it made it nearly impossible to
understand anything Hubbard was saying. By the end of the day I was
totally confused and didn't have a clue what I had read. That's the result
I got from applying Hubbard's study "tech". As I went along it never got
any better, it only got worse. My frustrations and observations about the
"tech" began to surface right from my first day in the indoctrination
room.

Finally 6:00 P.M. arrived and the supervisor yells out, "ALL RIGHT, THAT'S
IT." I collected my belongings and walked downstairs to the bookstore
lobby.

I waited in the lobby for my sister to get out of session (or wherever
they had her). I was still a little frustrated by what had happened in the
indoctrination room but was still excited about being in $cientology.
While I was waiting I started talking to the bookstore officer "Laureli."
I began to open up to her the way I had with my friends in Boulder Creek.
She quickly changed the subject and said in a very enthusiastic voice,
"Wayne I've got something to show you that I think you'll really be
interested in." She brought me into the back room where she had an E-meter
set up. She then went into this enthusiastic sales pitch about how I just
NEEDED to have one of these things, that it would be so helpful for me in
getting up the bridge. I became caught up in her enthusiasm and was
interested in hearing what she had to say but I eventually told her that I
didn't want to buy one just yet. After all I had just started $cientology
a few days before. I wanted to take things one step at a time.

It was here that Amy walked into the room. I remember how when I saw her I
got all excited and thought to myself, "Hey, here's my friend Amy. Here's
my buddy coming to see how I'm doing." Laureli quickly left without saying
a word. Amy took her place in front of me. I was all excited at seeing my
new friend again.

She looked me square in the eyes and said, "Wayne, you OWE US another
$625!"

I WAS STUNNED!

I said in complete disbelief, "WHAT? You told me just the other day that
EVERYTHING here would only cost me $2,500." She suddenly changed her story
and said, "Wayne that was just an estimate. In order for you to complete
your program we need to have the money NOW! Do you have a credit card?" I
was taken so off guard by this sudden turn of events. One minute I was
laughing and joking around with Laureli thinking I was starting to get
back the same thing that I had with my friends in Boulder Creek -- then
POW! This was a knockout punch from out of the blue. I was dazed. My head
went into a spin.

I felt VERY uncomfortable about what was happening. In my confusion I
thought, "Maybe it WAS just an estimate the night before." I thought this
even though I was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I had specifically asked her at
least three separate times how much everything would cost me at their
mission. I immediately thought about all the physical pain I was in and
how much I wanted it all to go away. I thought, "If I don't pay her now
I'll have to live with it forever. Maybe if I pay her 'this one LAST
little bit' she'll never bother me again." These kinds of thoughts kept
whirling through my head all the while she kept constantly badgering me
with demands like, "Wayne just give me your credit card." "Wayne we need
the money NOW, I can't hold this price for you any longer." "Wayne it's
for your own good, I'm only trying to help you." "I'm only trying to get
you what you said you wanted."

She had me isolated in their back room. I had no one to confer with.
Eventually I caved in and handed over my credit card.

I walked out of that room completely numb wondering what had just
happened. I walked out of that room beginning to wonder if $cientology
was something different than what they were telling me.

***

Wayne Whitney - My Story Part 4

PART 4: The Trap Slams Shut

By the end of my second day I had already begun to have bad feelings about
the mission. Under ordinary circumstances I would have gone in and
demanded my money back or at the very least decided to cut my losses and
just not go back -- BUT THESE WERE NOT ORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES. I was in
constant, terrible pain and Amy promised me ABSOLUTELY that they would
cure me. I was clinging to that promise!

I lived almost 40 miles away from the mission so I knew it was going to be
quite a commute. I told myself that I could, "tough it out for the six
short months that it would take to go 'clear.'" I really believed that in
less than 6 months I would be this pain free, almost superhuman being with
a perfect memory who would never get sick again. I also believed that I
had become involved in an organization where I would eventually be able to
help others. With all these aspirations in my head six months of long
commutes didn't seem like that big a price to pay. I believed all these
things because Amy Tuttle "the reg" (the salesperson) had PROMISED me
these things.

SCIENTOLOGY -- A WORLD OF UNCERTAINTY

Right from the first day and all the time that I was at the S.F. mission I
never once had "the bridge" or for that matter anything else explained to
me. I never once knew what we were going to do, what exactly I was going
to learn in the indoctrination room or what thought reforming processes
they were going to run on me. I never once knew what was coming up or what
to expect. Just as in my first reg cycle I could never get a straight
answer out of any of the staff members. God knows I tried!

For example when I asked Carol, the person in charge of scheduling
auditing sessions, what my schedule would be she just laughed at me and
said, "Your going up the bridge aren't you? Don't worry about it." There
I was trying my best to get everything arraigned ahead of time so I knew
what was expected of me. That way I would have some stability. When I know
what to expect it's so much easier to take responsibility for my actions
and maintain control. I found that this constant uncertainty always kept
me off balance. This uncertainty allowed them to get me to do things that
I ordinarily never would have done.

For example Sarah Baxter would often call me up at work and tell me that I
had to hurry up and come in for a session. Often I wasn't even
"sessionable" and I told her so. She just kept insisting saying, "We
really want to deliver services to you, we really want to see you make
gains." I would almost always fall for her appeals. I would take time off
work to go all the way in only to be too sick or tired to really be "in
session." I did it because she sounded so sincere on the phone and I
didn't want to let her down. I did it because I really believed they were
trying to help me.

Years later I realized that she would always call me on a Tuesday or
Wednesday when their stats were down and they had to hurry and get them up
before Thursday. To them any time that I spent in the chair "on the cans"
was good. I was once even told by Timothy Baxter that, "ANY auditing is
better than no auditing." He was admitting to me that whether I was too
sick or tired didn't matter to them. It eventually became clear that "any
auditing" was good for THEM, it got THEIR stats up. In the end that's all
they ever cared about -- getting their stats up.

While I was at the mission almost all my decisions were based on false or
incomplete information. I was forced to filled in all the blanks myself
based on past experiences elsewhere and what THEY were telling me at the
time. Because of this I ended up making so many erroneous assumptions.

Since I could never get any answers or facts out of any staff members my
hazy understanding was that I was to go in session every evening during
the week and then on weekends. When I wasn't in session I would be "on
course" learning such things as how to communicate and get along better
with others. The promise of acquiring these skills was important to me so
it kept me going back on course even though I was becoming very frustrated
with the way things were being run up there.

THEIR FIRST RECRUITMENT ATTEMPT

I had been in $cientology only a couple of days when I was unexpectedly
called down to the basement to see the ethics officer, Debbie Scanlon. I
wasn't with her more than a minute or two when she abruptly said, "Wayne,
you NEED to join staff." I said, "What? I don't know anything about
$cientology yet, I just started. Isn't this a little premature?" She
responded with, "Oh we'll teach you everything you need to know." To me it
seemed rather irresponsible to just jump in and join an organization that
I knew nothing about. I didn't know what they believed or anything about
them. It seemed like an irresponsible thing to do so I said, "No."

She pushed harder. "Wayne it's your RESPONSIBILITY to help us spread
$cientology." I explained to her that I just started, that I already had a
job, that I was still very sick and that I lived very far away. I told her
that I didn't feel that it would be appropriate for me to join staff then,
maybe later. When I was involved with a group in Boulder Creek I had
learned never to make promises or commitments unless I REALLY intended to
keep them. I didn't want to make commitments that I knew I wouldn't be
able to keep.

She kept pushing and pushing and pushing for me to join staff. Finally I
got angry and said, "Look, I've already got a job, I'm very sick, and I'm
not joining staff and that's that." I resented the way she kept trying to
force HER WILL onto me. I walked out of the room very angry but I
rationalized away this negative encounter. A part of me wanted to believe
that she saw positive characteristics in me that would make me useful to
society. I've always wanted to feel useful, that I had some value to
others so this kind of attention fed that desire and made me feel needed.
As I left the room another part of me was also saying, "Wayne it's only
your 'bank' that's making you angry, don't listen to it." I wouldn't
realize until years later that Hubbard and Amy had successfully implanted
that idea in my head. That idea was to take on a life of it's own and
successfully undermine every critical thought that I had which made me
anxious or angry.

Intellectually it seemed that the most rational thing for me to do was
to move up the bridge as quickly as possible, to get the gains they
promised me, the ones that I had already paid for. I figured that once I
got healthy and more able then I would be even more useful to them. I was
confused as to why Debbie couldn't see the logic in my argument. Why was
she rushing me? I figured that if the tech worked why not give me a chance
to get better first?

As Hubbard said in his policy letter Keeping Scientology Working, "If they
enrolled, they're aboard; and if they're aboard, they're here on the same
terms as the rest of us - win or die in the attempt." Because I walked in
their front door that very first day they just ASSUMED that I "was
aboard." They acted accordingly. I had no way of knowing that when I first
walked in their door that they ALREADY had plans to turn me into one of
Hubbard's slaves.

SOME MORE PERSONAL BACKGROUND

My whole life, until the mid 80's, I had been introverted and shy. The
more I tried to figure out WHY, by myself, the more I would introvert and
the worse I would get.

Then in the mid 80's I met this group in Boulder Creek. For the first time
I was in an environment where I was safe to tell another person
EVERYTHING. I was finally free to tell someone all my deepest, darkest
little secrets, all the stupid little things that I felt that if anyone
ever found out about that I would just die.

For example I told them how I'd be walking down the sidewalk and when I
saw someone approaching me from the opposite direction I would "react"
and start to tense up. I'd immediately begin thinking thoughts like,
"Should I look at them? Should I say Hi? What if they don't say 'Hi' back
-- won't *I* look stupid." This tension would reach its peak just as the
person was passing. Because of this "reaction" I'd almost always end up
looking away pretending that I didn't even see them. As they passed I'd
kind of relax but go off cursing myself for reacting like such a jerk.

Another example I told them about was how I always felt so awkward and
self-conscious standing in the grocery store check-out line. I confessed
how in that situation I always felt like everyone was watching me.

In Boulder Creek I was able to open up and reveal all these inner
secrets to someone else. It was amazing how in just a few minutes they
could get me to see exactly what *I* was doing, mentally, to make myself
REACT the way I did. The sudden feeling of relief I got when I was finally
able to tell someone all these things was just incredible. I eventually
labeled this sudden feeling of relief as a "spiritual orgasm." Once I said
these things out loud to someone else, I could take responsibility for
them and I instantly felt so much better. Each time I was able to do this
I would always become more outgoing, more productive and more "myself."
Once all this mental stuff was out in the open for me to see then THEY
left it completely up to me whether I wanted to keep doing those things
or not. In Boulder Creek my self-determinism was gradually being restored.

To me all these subconscious thoughts WERE my "reactive mind." I would
find myself in a particular situation and just automatically think these
thoughts and I would introvert. I didn't know why. To me these thoughts
WERE the things that were making me react in non-optimum ways. All these
things that I was doing RIGHT THEN, just below my conscious level of
awareness, were the real things that were holding me back in life. I've
always been fairly successful but it was all these stupid little thoughts,
thoughts that I just couldn't make go away by myself, that were holding me
back. In Boulder Creek we dealt with and handled these things. In Boulder
Creek this subconscious "reactive mind" became VERY real for me.

Now Hubbard comes along and talks about my "bank" and my "reactive mind."
He tells me that this is what's making me act in non-optimum ways, that
it's all the stuff that's going on just under my conscious level of
awareness. Now Hubbard comes along and tells me that only me AND another
person (the auditor) are bigger than my bank. Now Hubbard comes along and
tells me if I try to figure it out by myself that I'll just drive myself
deeper into my bank and get worse. All these ideas fit right in with what
I had already experienced in B.C.. Because of my lack of knowledge of
$cientology and the fact that they were telling me things that I could
agree with I assumed that auditing would be just like what we did in
Boulder Creek, only this time more scientific, more exact, and 100%
effective. After all that's what Hubbard kept telling me.

At the beginning I believed that my auditor and I would start my Life
Repair Program and that we would just keep going back in session until I
got the results they promised. I believed this because Amy had given me
the impression that we would. When I handed over that first check to Amy I
had no idea that they were going to charge me BY THE HOUR and that if they
didn't deliver what they promised that I would HAVE to keep paying them
more and more money until I finally DID attest to whatever they wanted me
to. If I had known THAT Amy never would have gotten that first check out
of me. I had paid for RESULTS, not worthless "stats" for them.

MY AUDITING BEGINS

The BIG day finally arrived and I was finally taken into session. I was
excited. My sister had been telling me of all the "big wins" (life
transforming cognitions about life) that she was having. As I walked to
the auditing room I just couldn't wait to start having some of my own. I
just couldn't wait to experience my first "spiritual orgasm" in
$cientology. After all I had just paid a lot of money, now I felt they
were going to start delivering the miracles they promised me.

After the auditor took care of the preliminaries such as making sure that
I was comfortable, that I was well rested, that I was well fed, we
started. The auditor looked right at me and said in a loud voice, "THIS IS
THE SESSION."

The very next thing she did was start asking me the questions, "What's the
definition of the word 'where', 'which', 'the','these','those' and
'case'?" Words like these were just fired at me with no context
whatsoever. Just as on course if I couldn't immediately quote a
'dictionary' definition for them or my definition didn't match exactly
what the auditor wanted to hear she would drag out a dictionary and I
would have to "clear" each and every one of them.

Clearing a word meant I had to go through each definition of that word,
one at a time. I had to read each definition, say what it meant in my own
words, and then make up sentences until I "fully understood it." A lot of
the words like "when", "the", and "what " have many definitions so this
started to get quite time consuming. After going through the definitions I
then had to clear all the idioms and derivations. Often the auditor would
have to look in several different dictionaries before she could find
these. This would sometimes take 5 - 10 minutes while I just sat there
waiting only to find out that the word came from "Old English" or some
such nonsense. She would then look at me with a straight face and say, "Do
you understand that?"

This mindless word clearing exercise dragged on hour after hour, day
after day, week after week, all at hundreds of dollars an hour. When we
first started this 'word clearing' I thought, "This will take just an hour
or so then we'll get to the REAL reason I am here." As it turned out it
just went on and on.

As we continued my frustration kept mounting. I began to wonder," How is
spending hundreds of dollars an hour clearing words going to make me a
better person? I did NOT pay all my money just to do this." Whenever I
expressed my frustrations to the auditor all she would reply with were
things like," Would you like to make up more sentences for that word" or
"Is there some word in the definition that you don't fully understand?" If
I expressed my frustrations out of session all I got were things like,"
God Wayne you look great. Auditing is really doing wonders for you." Once
I was even totally invalidated by Debbie when she asserted," Some people
have big wins in word clearing." When I responded with, "WELL I'M NOT! WHY
CAN'T ANYONE HEAR ME?" The response I got back was," WOW, I really like
your jacket."

BACK ON COURSE

While my "Life Repair" auditing was going on I was working through the
course "How to Improve Relationships with Others." Everything seemed like
common sense to me but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to review the
basics. After all I just knew that soon I would be getting to the GOOD
stuff, the stuff that "life was made of." After all, that's what Hubbard
kept telling me.

So far everything on the course was stuff I pretty much could agree with
-- UNTIL -- I ran into something called "The Third Party Law."

In it Hubbard states (IN CAPITAL LETTERS)

"A THIRD PARTY MUST BE PRESENT AND UNKNOWN IN EVERY QUARREL FOR A CONFLICT
TO EXIST."

OR

"FOR A QUARREL TO OCCUR, AN UNKNOWN THIRD PARTY MUST BE ACTIVE IN
PRODUCING IT BETWEEN TWO POTENTIAL OPPONENTS."

Then later Hubbard states things like, "In marital quarrels the correct
approach for anyone counseling is to get both parties to carefully search
out the THIRD party." In the next paragraph he states, "Sometimes two
parties, quarreling, suddenly decide to elect a person to blame. This
stops the quarrel."

I WAS STUNNED! My immediate reaction was, "WHAT? Hubbard's telling me to
ALWAYS blame a 'third party' for any disagreements I have with someone?"
This went totally contrary to everything that I believed at the time. In
Boulder Creek I learned how to communicate. In Boulder Creek I learned to
take responsibility for all conflicts and disagreements. Down there I
learned to find out what the other person was REALLY saying FIRST. Only
then could I know what I WAS disagreeing with. Only then was it possible
to come to some kind of understanding with the other person and resolve
the conflict. This approach had proven very effective for me and had
greatly improved my relationships with others. Now Hubbard was telling me
that instead of doing that to just find someone else to blame and that all
my troubles would immediately go away? This bizarre idea upset me a lot.

SUPPRESSED INTO SILENCE

I had no one to talk to about my frustrations and concerns. In and out of
the course room I was never allowed to talk to anyone about my
disagreements with Hubbard. I certainly couldn't talk to anyone at home or
at work. For one thing no one had any idea what I was involved in so I
felt that no one would understand. Why should I bother trying?

For another thing, I learned to never try to get anyone involved in
anything unless I REALLY believed in it myself FIRST. I didn't believe in
$cientology. I had seen no benefits as of yet therefore I felt that I
shouldn't even talk about it outside the mission. I felt that I should see
if it worked first before I talked to anyone about it. I also made the
assumption that if I even mentioned $cientology they would think that I
was trying to recruit them (into something that I didn't believe in). I
was waiting to see positive results first. I was trying to maintain my
integrity about all this so again I said nothing. To me that was the
ethical thing to do.

Another source of suppression was that a part of me wanted to believe that
I had made the right decision in spending all that money to join
Scientology in the first place. I was afraid that if someone found out
that I was involved they would make fun of me. I would have felt like such
a fool, especially since I paid all that money without first checking
Scientology's claims out. I just couldn't face the humiliation of someone
showing me how stupid I had been so again I said nothing to anyone.

All of these obstacles and internal conflicts kept me silent, just at the
time when I should have been talking the most.

THE CHAINS THAT BIND

At the same time I also knew that I had already spent several thousand
dollars and that I still had some on account. I felt that I couldn't just
walk away from all that money. I just HAD to get something in return for
the money I paid them. I HAD to give them a chance to deliver what they
promised. Besides, I still desperately WANTED all the benefits Amy
promised me.

I also wanted to be able to believe in someone again. I wanted so much to
be able to confide in others just like I had been able to do in Boulder
Creek. I wanted so much to have back what I had down there.

While all this was happening I kept hearing my sister talk about all the
big wins she was having. I saw how excited she was each time she came out
of session. I watched her personality changing right before my very eyes.
As I watched her personality change I figured there just HAD to be
something of value in "the tech." I slowly began to believe that it was
JUST ME causing all my difficulties. After all didn't they keep tell me
that if *I* wasn't making progress that it was because *I* was doing
something wrong or that *I* had done something evil that I just couldn't
confront?

In B.C. I had learned to take responsibility for my thoughts, feelings
and actions. This way of dealing with life had produced so many positive
changes in me. Because of all my life transforming experiences down there
I kept trying to do the same thing in Scientology. In so doing I
inadvertently fell right into the trap of blaming myself for all my
failures in Scientology. Ways of effectively dealing with life that had
worked so well for me everywhere else were now working against me. I
didn't realize this was happening at the time.

On top of all that I was still clinging desperately to the hope that
$cientology would take away the agonizing pain that I was in. After all
didn't they promise me that the "tech" worked on everyone 100% of the
time? I just HAD to continue. What else could I do? They told me it was my
"ONE LAST CHANCE TO BE HEALED AND TO GO TOTALLY FREE"!

These were the chains that that were holding me. These were the chains
that encouraged me to rationalize, "I'll just SECRETLY disagree with THIS
ONE concept - this one 'Third Party Law.' Everything else from here on
out MUST be good, MUST be life transforming, MUST be leading me down the
road to total freedom." After all, that's what Hubbard kept telling me.

THE TRAP SLAMS SHUT!

***
PS, I should like to update Wayne's photo; the one I have is small,
old, and grainy at:

http://www.islandnet.com/~martinh/arscc/wayne_wh.gif

If anyone has a better one, please let me know.

--
Cogito, ergo sum. http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~av282/
"It's wonderful to be out!! 2 PM Thursday is now just another hour

Martin Hunt

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <35731A...@idt.net>, jbwebb <jbw...@idt.net> wrote:

>In honor of Wayne, we ought to rename the last post watcher, something
>like: Wayne Whitney Memorial Posting Stats.
>
>Remember: it is because of Wayne's initial myterious disappearance that
>the weekly posting stats was started.

Right. Wayne is not the first ars regular to pass away since I've
been here, one other being Daniel Davidson. These people will be
immortalized on the web, their posts saved in archives on thousands
of hard drives far into the future. I wrote a short obituary for
Daniel for ars, and I hope someone takes the time to write one
for Wayne - someone who knew him well, preferably. These people
have left good works behind them; I hope we'll all be able to say
the same when our day comes.

"Don't hit. Clean your mess."

jbwebb

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Xenubat (Sue M.) wrote:

> I only knew him from his ARS posts but he seemed like a really nice
> guy. I still remember when he posted once about his pet cat dying; he
> apologized for being off-topic but that he was really grief-stricken
> over the death of his cat (something I can definitely relate to), and
> I remember thinking what a caring, sensitive person he seemed to be.

That was Wayne?!? I remember that thread like it was yesterday, but I
didn't realize that was Wayne. This is all really sad. You always know
there are real people on their own computers........you just sometimes
forget that until you get news like THIS. :汉(

Take care
Joni

Take care
Joni

© Anti-Cult ®

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 14:51:24 GMT.
te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX)).
From: http://extra.newsguy.com.
Wrote on the subject: Wayne Whitney - Rest In Peace Friend:

>---------------
>Ted, I talked to you once before about Wayne Whitney and
>why he had dropped off the picket scene.
>I received this on Friday, forwarded from his sister and
>sent to all the people he worked with. I'll leave it to
>you if you want to let the other critics know.
>
>>>Subject: Wayne Whitney

>>> I received a call from Audie, Wayne's sister, that he passed away at 5
>>>this morning. She wanted me to tell everyone, thank you for the kindness
>>>that was shown her brother.
>>> Wayne's wishes were that he not have a funeral service. He wanted
>>>everyone who knew him to get together for pizza and beer. His sister will
>>>let us know when she would like to do this.

>---------------
>
>An archive of posts by Wayne:
>http://home.icon.fi/~marina/1stpersn/index.htm#WWhitney

It makes me very sad to hear this. I did not know Wayne personally, but
I always read his articles here on this NG. He was a big hero, and I
will miss him very much. His lonely pickets against the scientology
cult, impressed me. He was a man of integrety, and stood up against the
evil in this world.

Wayne, you made a difference in this world, you stood up for what you
believed in. You will not be forgotten. Rest in peace Wayne Whitney. May
your god keep you in the eternal light.

Please pass on my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Sten-Arne Zerpe.

*--------------------------*
* Sten-Arne Zerpe *
* Adr: Kristinelundsv. 24 *
* S-171 57 Solna *
* Sweden *
*--------------------------*
* Phone: +46 8 826189 *
* Mobile: +46 70 6808790 *
* E-mail: ze...@wineasy.se *
* Public PGP key: http://www.users.wineasy.se/noname/pubpgp.htm *

Keith Henson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Anti-Cult (The.Galacti...@ThePentagon.com) wrote:

snip

: >An archive of posts by Wayne:
: >http://home.icon.fi/~marina/1stpersn/index.htm#WWhitney

: It makes me very sad to hear this. I did not know Wayne personally, but
: I always read his articles here on this NG. He was a big hero, and I
: will miss him very much. His lonely pickets against the scientology
: cult, impressed me. He was a man of integrety, and stood up against the
: evil in this world.

I could not have said it better, and I met Wayne a number of times on
pickets.

: Wayne, you made a difference in this world, you stood up for what you

: believed in. You will not be forgotten.

There is a measure of immortality in the kind of statement Wayne made. I
suspect he and the others who have fallen while in this battle will be
known a long time from now. Keith Henson

Conner

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 01:07:31 GMT, in message
<35794cd8...@enews.newsguy.com>, te...@skylink.net (Ted Mayett (KOX))
wrote:

[clip]

>Personally I cannot give any details at this time. I do not have
>permission and have already agreed to silence last year.
>I'm sure a post by one of Wayne's friends or family will find its way
>here after some time has passed, after the grief has faded a bit.

you are bound by silence. i am not. wayne was ill.
he died from that illness. still he had the courage and
strength to warn others about scientology, for quite a
long time.

he was an inspiration. although i am non-theist, i can
think of no words better to say than "god bless you,
wayne. thank you for your presence. we shall miss
you greatly. may your soul find rest."

-- see...@ix.netcom.com (Conner)
Note: remove 'spamblock' from address to reply
Friends of Dennis Erlich Club (www.netcom.com/~seekon/friends.html)

shelley thomson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

I read the news of Wayne's passing with great sadness. During his
pickets we spent hours talking. His honesty, warmth and courage
impressed me deeply. He dealt with everyone in a direct and kind
way, from scientologists to street people. I shall miss him very
much.

Please give my condolences to Wayne's family and friends.

Shelley Thomson

David Gerard

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

On 2 Jun 1998 12:22:00 -0700, Xen...@primenet.com (Xenubat (Sue M.))
wrote:

:Also, on my first Scn picket in L.A. this March, I didn't have a clue

:about how to make a decent picket sign; then I found one of his posts
:about making picket signs on David Gerard's web site, and that was a
:big help for me. (he wrote really good picket reports, too!)

I'm glad someone reads those how-to things :-)

http://suburbia.net/~fun/scn/demo/howto/
http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/scn/demo/howto/

- any picketer who hasn't read this page, PLEASE do so and give me your
ideas.

Oh, as it happens, Wayne's 'how to make a sign' post was the first thing on
that page.

--
http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/ AGSF Unit 0|4 http://suburbia.net/~fun/
Stop JUNK EMAIL Boycott AMAZON.COM http://mickc.home.mindspring.com/index1.htm