New Haven Register: Org to move

Rod Keller

Sep 20, 2003, 9:04:41 AM9/20/03
Hallock's sells city building
Business plans to relocate locally
New Haven Register
September 20, 2003
by Steve Higgins
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10194936&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7546&rfi=6

NEW HAVEN - After 31 years in Westville, Hallock's has sold its Whalley
Avenue building and plans to move by the end of the year.

"We're considering several sites in Greater New Haven," said President
John L. Fast. "We'd like to stay in the city of New Haven."

Fast said the principles of the H.P. Hallock Co., who are members of the
Fast family, decided to sell the three-story building and find a one-story
facility, for the convenience of customers.

The 20 employees know about the pending move, Fast said. The company
employs another 30 people at its branch stores in Branford and West Haven.

Hallock's, founded downtown in the early 1920s, sells appliances,
furniture and television sets. The Fast family bought the business in
1940.

The Church of Scientology bought the 35,000-square-foot building for $1.5
million.

Carol Yingling, a church minister, said the church plans to move its
Connecticut headquarters into the building. The current headquarters is in
9,000 square feet of leased space just down the street.

"We are really busting out at the seams," she said. "I'm looking forward
to having a place to hold community meetings."

Yingling said the move will allow the church to potentially quadruple its
staff of 35.

"We need four times that many to make full use of the new space," she
said.

The church is headquartered in a former Masonic temple, and the Hallock's
building at 949 Whalley Ave. was built as a Masonic temple in 1926.

Fast said Hallock's will start a moving sale next month.

Considered New England's oldest appliance store, Hallock's added furniture
to the showroom in 1964.

The main Hallock's store was at 75 Orange St. downtown for decades, but
had to close in 1992 due to the redevelopment of Ninth Square. The owners
at that time made the Whalley Avenue store, which opened in late 1972, the
flagship store.

Steve Higgins can be reached at shig...@nhregister.com or 789-5752.

barbz

Sep 20, 2003, 10:57:20 AM9/20/03

Now, this is mildly interesting. First she claims they're "busting out
at the seams." Yet, in the same article, she says they'll need to
increase the number of vic...err, staff, to utilize the space.

So, which is it? Can the residents of New Haven expect to encounter a
push by the cult to slurp up friends and neighbors to fill these
fictitious positions available in the Big New Org? Or has the cult
simply redefined "busting out at the seams?"

Wayne Davis

Sep 20, 2003, 11:08:29 AM9/20/03
In article <10640623...@newshost01.voicenet.com>,
rke...@unix01.voicenet.com says...

They are lucky if the cult has 35 members in Connecticut. The old org
was on a second floor of a building, It was so hard to find it wasn't
worth picketing. But now it might be worth a picket. It's very close to
Southern Connecticut State University, time to make the students and
facilty aware of the dangers of the cult.

Ralph Hilton

Sep 20, 2003, 11:19:31 AM9/20/03
Wayne Davis <sp...@snet.net> wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:08:29 GMT in msg
<MPG.19d637761...@news.snet.sbcglobal.net>, :

>In article <10640623...@newshost01.voicenet.com>,
>rke...@unix01.voicenet.com says...
>> Hallock's sells city building
>> Business plans to relocate locally
>> New Haven Register
>> September 20, 2003
>> by Steve Higgins
>> http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10194936&amp;BRD=1281&amp;PAG=461&amp;dept_id=7546&amp;rfi=6
>>
>> NEW HAVEN - After 31 years in Westville, Hallock's has sold its Whalley
>> Avenue building and plans to move by the end of the year.
>>
>> "We're considering several sites in Greater New Haven," said President
>> John L. Fast. "We'd like to stay in the city of New Haven."

>They are lucky if the cult has 35 members in Connecticut. The old org

>was on a second floor of a building, It was so hard to find it wasn't
>worth picketing. But now it might be worth a picket. It's very close to
>Southern Connecticut State University, time to make the students and
>facilty aware of the dangers of the cult.

There were quite a few. 20 years or so ago I visited the mission in Berlin,
another in New Haven and a third in I think it was New London. Probably
100-200 people active on lines.
But then the mission holder, Brown McKee, was declared around 1983.
--
Ralph Hilton
http://www.ralphhilton.org

Wayne Davis

Sep 20, 2003, 11:35:05 AM9/20/03
In article <8nromvcf6hh8qj9hq...@4ax.com>,
ra...@cmeter.org says...

There is no way they have 100-200 people active now. They will ship
people up from New York and down from Boston to make it appear they have
some members.