Men Behind the Curtain: Scientology and Politics

1 view

Feisty

Feb 23, 2007, 3:35:54 PM2/23/07
More info on the history of the Second Chance program, with various NFWL reps, and CCHR's
Bruce Wiseman announcement to enter the group. Fwiw, the group had numerous Christian
Scientists as members at one time. An interesting fact is that the $cientologists on the
board and on committees are not legislators.

http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/scientology-and-politics.htm

Men Behind the Curtain: Scientology and Politics

by Barbara Graham and Maureen Drueck

"The goal of the department [of governmental affairs] is to bring the government and
hostile philosophies or societies into a state of complete compliance with the goals of
Scientology. This is done by a high level ability to control and in its absence by a low
level ability to overwhelm. Introvert such agencies. Control such agencies." L. Ron
Hubbard, evidence from Church of Spiritual Technology v. U.S., November 22, 1989.

(snip)

Rep. Sharron Angle was promoting a program, called 'Second Chance,' for possible inclusion
in the Nevada prison system, at taxpayer's expense. The anonymous businessman was willing
to contribute $8,000 to fly the 35 legislators to Mexico. Among the critics, this raised
many questions. Who was this Arizonan? Why was Rep. Sharron Angle promoting Hubbard based
programs? The offer went out on Monday. By Tuesday, they were receiving confirmations from
legislators.

Rep. Angle is a member of the National Order of Women Legislators, (NOWL) an
unincorporated membership organization founded in 1938, works with the National Foundation
for Women Legislators, (NFWL) a 501 c3 tax-exempt, non-partisan organization formed in
1983. The NFWL, made up of both legislators and corporate sponsors, encourages women into
legislative roles, as well as provide model legislation, offer training, and host
networking and other programs for women legislators.

In a follow-up article on February 14, the >Nevada Review-Journal reported, "Assembly
Majority Leader Barbara Buckley said Thursday legislators should not take a free trip to a
Mexican prison to view an unproven drug treatment program that uses sauna and massage
treatments." The anonymous Arizona businessman was named as Russell Suggs. A search for
this elusive donor revealed that Mr. Suggs was a Scientologist. Interestingly, his, "I am
a Scientologist" website disappeared just prior to his offer to the Nevada legislature.

Fortunately, a very well researched website on Narconon, Stop-Narconon.org, had just gone
up. Letters were sent to every single member of the Nevada legislature, urging them to
review the Scientology programs a bit more in depth before deciding to accept this free
trip. Ultimately, the legislature overwhelmingly turned down the offer, but questions
remained about the program, and those promoting it.
Research revealed that the Second Chance program, based in La Mesa, California, appears to
be twin to another Scientology front group, Narconon. Both programs sell the "Purification
Rundown." Both programs core elements expose participants to Scientology material in a
"secular surrounding" along with a detoxification using a sauna regimen with excessive
amount of vitamins to cleanse the body of toxins. Supporters are quick to deny any
association with the Church of Scientology. They often claim their programs are "based on
the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard." However, the practice and procedure is identical to the
courses sold to Scientologists as religious.

Second Chance is licensed under Criminon, a Scientology front group targeting inmates.
Criminon, Narconon, Applied Scholastics and The Way to Happiness Foundation are all under
the umbrella of A.B.L.E., the Association for Better Living and Education. And A.B.L.E. is
contained under the entity which controls all Hubbard copyrights, the Church of Spiritual
Technology.

The Second Chance Program was first proposed by Arizona Senator and NFWL regional director
Elaine Richardson in 2001, as an amendment to House Bill 2563, where community transition
programs were being considered by the Arizona Department of Corrections. The Second Chance
Program was deemed too expensive and the scientific studies, as well as Scientology
teachings within the program were rejected.

The Second Chance program has been rejected twice in the Nevada Assembly. First rejected
in 2001, it was rejected a second time when it was proposed by NFWL member and
Assemblywoman Sharron Angle in 2003.

In October, 2003 the Second Chance Program was proposed in Erie County, New York by Joy
Westrum; a Scientologist, President of the Second Chance Program, and board member of the
NFWL. Information once posted on the Erie County website's message board regarding
Scientology and L Ron Hubbard's teachings in the program are no longer there. The program
was never granted.

Scientology began promoting the Second Chance Program even though their first program,
called "Criminon" still exists. Never has one organization used so many names for the same
program. Five programs with identical components - being a sauna detoxification and
application of Scientology teachings - are being promoted for use in criminal
rehabilitation, drug rehabilitation, alternative education, for firefighters, and as an
alternative health, body detoxification listed in a Scientology book, sold under the
category of "nutrition and dietary." The success stories are just as unbelievable as the
recidivism rates have been misleading.

Here are the various names for the identical Scientology detoxification/purification
programs being promoted to legislators and others: Second Chance, Inc., Criminon,
Narconon, Purification Rundown, (secular version in the L Ron Hubbard book, "Clear Body,
Clear Mind"), The New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project (and New York
Firefighters Detoxification Project), "LEAP" - Literacy and Education Awareness Project,
(from the Utah Scientology business "Innovations in Education") recently turned down by
Governor Olene Walker.

Discovering that NFWL members were supporting and seeking funding for the Second Chance
program was not all that was to be found while looking at the NFWL. Searching for
information gave back several accolades for the NFWL by Scientology front groups. Like the
Unification Church, the Scientology organization is fond of issuing awards, citations and
endorsements, usually to its own front groups. One such front group is the Citizen's
Commission on Human Rights, (CCHR,) which Scientology established in 1969.

The CCHR had been involved with the NFWL since 1998 with quite another agenda. The CCHR
makes no bones about its mission. Destroying the mental health field is one of the stated
goals of Scientology. In 1995, David Miscavige, the "ecclesiastical head" of the
organization, spelled it out clearly during an address to the International Association of
Scientologists, (IAS).

"There are a lot of opinions out there as to what is wrong with Earth, 1995 - unstable
economies, unstable political arenas, criminality, drugs, injustice and so forth -
obviously valid concerns. But if you really want to eliminate those problems all you have
to do is work for the objectives that we, as members of the IAS, have set for the year
2000: Objective One - place Scientology at the absolute forefront of Society. Objective
Two - eliminate psychiatry in all its forms. We don't care what the current think is
regarding what's wrong with the planet. Government won't handle it. Politics won't handle
it. Legislation won't handle it. All that's going to handle it is what we, of the IAS,
have set down in stone. Let's get rid of psychiatry, and let's bring Scientology to every
man, woman and child on this planet."

David Miscavige, 1995

Scientology had entered the women legislators' group in 1998 according to this letter to
Scientology members from the current president of the CCHR, Bruce Wiseman:

"I know you would like to do everything possible to back up management's ongoing efforts
to clear this planet. A key vector in this strategy is, of course, removing planetary
suppression. In a word, that means getting rid of destructive psychiatric programs,
treatments and philosophies. A terrific opportunity has just arisen that will help us do
just that. There is an organization called the National Organization of Women Legislators
(NOWL), and as the name implies, this group is made up of top woman legislators from
local, state and the Federal Government. Senators, governors, congresswomen and others are
members of this group.This is a magnificent opportunity for CCHR to get its message
delivered directly to some of the top policy makers in this country..." I want CCHR to
become a member of this group so we can get our message out to this very important public
on an ongoing basis about what psychiatry is doing to our schools, our courts and our
civilization as a whole.At CCHR International we have a number of plans and projects
coordinated to do just that. One of these is to see that the psychs are deprived of their
unearned millions in appropriations."

Further search of the NFWL legislators showed that several of the women had taken up the
Scientology issue of "coercive drugging of school children," by proposing legislation in
their respective states. Rep. Sharron Angle from Nevada had done this is 2001, prior to
her attempt to get Scientology's Second Chance prison program funded. It wasn't an
apparent issue on the NFWL website or mentioned in the group's newsletter that these women
had been proposing such legislation. But it was very clear that Scientology and CCHR had
access to these legislators by the star-studded ceremonies that had these women appearing
on CCHR's website. By 2002, the CCHR "news" section of their website lauded the NFWL: "LOS
ANGELES: The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), an international mental health
watchdog, applauds the National Foundation for Women Legislators (NFWL) for taking the
lead in promoting federal safeguards for children against enforced psychotropic drugging
through schools."
While none of the history of the individual women legislator's psychotropic drugging
issues appeared on the NFWL website, a NOWL representative and legislator, Katherine
Bryson from Utah sponsored the Child Medication Safety Act, H.R.1170, pertaining to the
issue of psychotropic drugs and children in schools, which was passed by the House and
referred to the Senate Committee. A resolution for this Act was added to the NFWL website
in 2004, (strangely dated August, 2003, and during the critical period of its faltering
passage.) Scientology has used the NFWL to prod their attack on mental health further
while it is not deemed an outward issue by the NFWL. The effect of these women
legislators, the CCHR and other groups still being found to have had Scientology
influence, are evidence that Scientology is working to carefully control the information
so their obvious stance towards mental health is not seen, but effectively used.

A look at these political groups will show taxpayers that Scientology has and will work
deceptively through other groups. By keeping their name out of view, they conceal their
outward goal of eradicating psychiatry behind another group's identity. CCHR was also a
member of another "model legislation" group, the American Legislative Exchange Council,
(ALEC) in 1998. At that time, Sam Brunelli, board member, was the husband of the current
president of the NFWL, Robin Read. CCHR was working with ALEC the same year they joined
the NFWL, and were both opposing the mental health parity in insurance.

As early as 1995, Scientology appealed to many Christian lobby groups. So alongside the
Scientology goal to eradicate mental health, so were Christians fighting alongside the
CCHR against mental health programs in educational settings. Do taxpayers see this as the
threat Scientology and some of these other groups do? Despite the bizarre belief of
eradicating mental health as a Scientology belief, many would beg to differ and not feel
as threatened by mental health programs, especially when children are generally
under-diagnosed for problems, or have disabilities that need special mental health backed
programs. Where there are mental health issues, political officials and taxpayer spending,
be assured that Scientology is both out front and working behind the scenes, trying to
gain allies while using other groups so they will not be detected.

In 2003, two Scientologists appeared as members of the NFWL. Bruce Wiseman of the CCHR -
is now the treasurer, and another Scientologist, Joy Westrum, happens to be the president
of the Second Chance program and Private Sector Chair of the Crime, Justice, Terrorism &
Substance Abuse Policy Committee. Several other Scientologists are also found to have
connections with the NFWL representing everything from Scientology business, legal
council, and even those who created the NFWL theme song.
Taxpayers and legislators need to be aware of two areas where this detoxification program
has been proposed for government funding. The "Second Chance Act of 2004," (H.R. 4676)
would create a federal task force for prison reentry programs, and include faith-based and
other grants to state and local organizations for substance abuse programs. There are
grave concerns regarding attempts made by Scientology to propose their prison program,
coincidentally called, "Second Chance" on either a medically sound or secular basis. The
same concerns apply to the New York Rescue Workers' Detoxification Project.

(snip)

Maureen

When all of L Ron Hubbard's theories - are reduced tp theor essentials one tiny suspicion
lingers on - it is all nothing less than a superbly evoked living nightmare, manipulated
somewhere by a giant typewriter in the sky.

from page 23
"Protestants and Other Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Published 1952
Original from the University of Michigan

Android Cat

Feb 23, 2007, 5:14:52 PM2/23/07
Feisty wrote:
> More info on the history of the Second Chance program, with various
> NFWL reps, and CCHR's Bruce Wiseman announcement to enter the group.
> Fwiw, the group had numerous Christian Scientists as members at one
> time. An interesting fact is that the $cientologists on the board and
> on committees are not legislators.
>
> http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/scientology-and-politics.htm
>
> Men Behind the Curtain: Scientology and Politics

> Scientology had entered the women legislators' group in 1998

> according to this letter to Scientology members from the current
> president of the CCHR, Bruce Wiseman:
> "I know you would like to do everything possible to back up
> management's ongoing efforts to clear this planet. A key vector in
> this strategy is, of course, removing planetary suppression. In a
> word, that means getting rid of destructive psychiatric programs,
> treatments and philosophies. A terrific opportunity has just arisen
> that will help us do just that. There is an organization called the
> National Organization of Women Legislators (NOWL), and as the name
> implies, this group is made up of top woman legislators from local,
> state and the Federal Government. Senators, governors, congresswomen
> and others are members of this group.This is a magnificent
> opportunity for CCHR to get its message delivered directly to some of
> the top policy makers in this country..." I want CCHR to become a
> member of this group so we can get our message out to this very
> important public on an ongoing basis about what psychiatry is doing
> to our schools, our courts and our civilization as a whole.At CCHR
> International we have a number of plans and projects coordinated to
> do just that. One of these is to see that the psychs are deprived of
> their unearned millions in appropriations."

The best part of Bruce Wiseman's letter is when he says that anyone helping
out will get a personal commendation in their Ethics File from him.

"These kinds of comm lines are invaluable and having the opportunity to
expand them to the members of the National Organization of Women Legislators
is one we really do not want to pass up. Our target for the year 2000 is
coming fast. We need these comm lines badly, and I'm asking you to help us
with your financial support. We urgently need your tax-deductible donation
in the amount of $500 or above! For every person who contributes $1000 or
more, a personal commendation will be written from myself to your ethics
files."

Zowie! The president of CCHR US has the power to drop things into Church of
Scientology Ethics Folders! Oh what a give-away!

(The whole subject of KGB-style Ethics Folders being kept on all members is
a different can of worms.)

--
Ron of that ilk.

Kevin Brady

Feb 23, 2007, 5:50:35 PM2/23/07

"Android Cat" <androi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I resemble that remark.

KGB

ida...@aol.com

Feb 23, 2007, 6:15:05 PM2/23/07
> Ron of that ilk.- Hide quoted text -

"Once the world is Clear - a nation, a state, a city or a village -
the Scientology organization in the area becomes its government! And
once this has taken place the only policy accepted as valid is
Scientology policy."

L. Ron Hubbard
>From a lecture entitled "Future Org Trends" given January 9th, 1962

Feisty

Feb 23, 2007, 6:20:03 PM2/23/07

"Android Cat" <androi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Doesn't that also sound like a solicitation of funds? How secular!

Clearing the planet and removing planetary suppression...Nice plans, how do they do that?

Operation Snow White shows how many files $cientology can collect before shredding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Operation Snow White was the name given internally by the Church of Scientology to a
program which included the single largest infiltration of the United States government in
history.[1] Under this program, Scientology operatives committed infiltration,
wiretapping, and theft of documents in government offices..

Maureen