1976 Dianetics ad -- Xenu's Renegades on the cover!

AndroidCat

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
I was reading through an old Galaxy Science Fiction magazine (Feb 1976,
p117), and came across the Dianetics ad. (I'm not sure if they still
advertise in Analog or not, I'll have to check.)

This one has "DIANETICS The evolution of a science" rather than the usual
"science of modern mental health" line.

But the really cool thing is that the Dianetics book has a cover
illustration of a bunch of guys in military uniforms carrying boxes onto an
aircraft/spaceship. HA! Talk about restimulating them ole engrams!
Obviously it's supposed to be Xenu's renegades carrying frozen thetans onto
a DC-8 space plane.

That's real nice of Co$ to keep putting pieces of OT III on their book
covers--considering it's supposed to kill the unprepared. Some ethics!
(Since it's called "Wall of Fire", I would have expected death by
spontaneous human combustion. If it's supposed to cause pneumonia,
shouldn't they call it "Wall of Phlegm"? Flame/Phlegm, maybe someone
transcribed it wrong?)

That would be a nifty copy of Dianetics to own--if I wanted a copy, that is.
:^)

The ad copy is the Usual Bunch of Tripe, but one part did get a laugh:
"Dianetics was first popularized in 1950 by scientists and engineers..."
i.e. Hubbard, who was neither.

Ron of that ilk.

Warrior

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
_Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science_ was first published as
a book-length essay in May 1950 in the US issue of Astounding
Science Fiction. In England, it was published in the June issue.
Hubbard's intent was to reach engineers and university professors,
and since he had information that the journal was widely read by
them, he introduced his essay there. No doubt he intended to
introduce his theories to the science fiction readers as well.
(Undoubtedly he hoped to more easily gain recognition and acceptance
of his ideas from the science fiction audience.)

The book was touted by Hubbard as the story of how he "brought
Dianetics into existence", and it was used by Hubbard to create
interest in, and orders for, his newly written book, _Dianetics:
The Modern Science of Mental Health_, which was also first published
in May of 1950.

A soft-cover edition of the book was published in the US in September
of 1955. An interesting fact of this September 1855 edition is that it
changed several terms in the original edition. One notable example is
that the word "engram" was substituted for the word "norn". In Norse
Mythology, Norn was one of the Fates, Skuld (the Future), Verdaude
(the Present) and Urd (the Past). According to Hubbard's editor,
Norn was a "hidden witch which guides man's fate all unknown to him".[1]

The first British book edition of _Dianetics: The Evolution of a
Science_ was published a short while afterwards, and unlike the
US edition it retained the original terminology.

Hubbard's _Dianetics: The Original Thesis_, first published in 1948,
contained Hubbard's theories on the "basic causes of human behavior
and the resolution of mental aberration and psychosomatic illnesses",
which he presented to various medical and psychiatric societies.
_Dianetics: The Original Thesis_ was originally entitled "Abnormal
Dianetics" [2], and it generated many letters from the psychiatric
community, and due to their skepticism very few paid much attention
to it. Hubbard, after nearly two years of trying and not receiving
the respect he wanted from the "psychs" , then decided to promote his
Dianetics theories "to the public directly by writing _Dianetics:
The Evolution of a Science_ and _Dianetics: The Modern Science
of Mental Health_" . [3]

As with Hubbard's changes in terminology in the later edition of
_Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science_, so did Hubbard change
some terminology in the later edition of _Dianetics: The Original
Thesis_. For example, the word "engram" appears where "impediment"
was used, and the word "auditor" appears in place of the word
"operator".

[1] _The Technical Bulletins of Dianetics and Scientology, first
US printing (1976), Volume I, page 11.
[2] _The Technical Bulletins of Dianetics and Scientology, first
US printing (1976), Volume I, page 5.
[3] _The Technical Bulletins of Dianetics and Scientology, first
US printing (1976), Volume I, page 5.

I hope this clears up misunderstandings some of you may have had.

All the best,
Warrior
=======

In article <37bc9...@news2.lightlink.com>, "AndroidCat" says...

barb

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
AndroidCat wrote:

> I was reading through an old Galaxy Science Fiction magazine (Feb 1976,
> p117), and came across the Dianetics ad. (I'm not sure if they still
> advertise in Analog or not, I'll have to check.)
>
> This one has "DIANETICS The evolution of a science" rather than the usual
> "science of modern mental health" line.
>
> But the really cool thing is that the Dianetics book has a cover
> illustration of a bunch of guys in military uniforms carrying boxes onto an
> aircraft/spaceship. HA! Talk about restimulating them ole engrams!
> Obviously it's supposed to be Xenu's renegades carrying frozen thetans onto
> a DC-8 space plane.
>
> That's real nice of Co$ to keep putting pieces of OT III on their book
> covers--considering it's supposed to kill the unprepared. Some ethics!
> (Since it's called "Wall of Fire", I would have expected death by
> spontaneous human combustion. If it's supposed to cause pneumonia,
> shouldn't they call it "Wall of Phlegm"? Flame/Phlegm, maybe someone
> transcribed it wrong?)
>
> That would be a nifty copy of Dianetics to own--if I wanted a copy, that is.
> :^)
>
> The ad copy is the Usual Bunch of Tripe, but one part did get a laugh:
> "Dianetics was first popularized in 1950 by scientists and engineers..."
> i.e. Hubbard, who was neither.
>
> Ron of that ilk.

Oh, man...'Wall of Phlegm!' That just cracked me up!!!!
--
barb
"If Lisa McPherson had been buried with pennies on her eyes, someone