The E-Meter

Alex Clark

Jul 12, 2008, 10:38:14 PM7/12/08
I recall recently there was an uproar from the Scientology community about
the availability of E-Meters on eBay, and that it violated some legal blah
blah blah they wanted eBay to take them down, but eBay had finally decided
to leave them up there.

Of course, that meant that Anonymous got their hands on various E-Meters, as
depicted in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vNK3xV4kc&feature=related

Several of these devices have now been completely disassembled and examined
by trained electricians, which only served to prove what the video seems to
indicate anyway.

E-Meters are little more than a device to measure electrical resistivity.

That's all. No amazing futuristic technology. No hidden circuitry, ultra
sophisticated sensing equipment, or special components of any kind. Just a
simple (albeit expensive) device to measure how much current can pass from
one can to the other. Squeezing the cans naturally produces a larger
reading.

Most of the comments on that vid are Anonymous yelling the usual "HAHA I
KNEW IT LOL", but there are one or two responses from Scientologists, or
apologists of Scientology (Scienpologists?) trying to refute the claims of
the E-Meter's worthlessness.

One such claim stated that if you answer questions while holding the cans
(ala audit session), and a particular answer causes the needle to move,
every time you answer that same question the needle will move in the same
manner.

There was a famous (Italian?) magician who once had someone hide an object
somewhere in his city, many blocks from his location. They then lead him in
a straight direction from his home, holding nothing but his arm. He was
able to deduce all the directions they took by the simple, almost
imperceptible movements of their hand as it held their arm. Each time they
passed a side street that the person had walked down, he would feel a
"twitch" from them. He had a talent for recognising the subconsciously
induced muscle spasms, no matter how small they were.

Back to the E-Meter. Someone is asked a question that mentally provokes a
response, but they continue to answer with a yes or no. Perhaps they're
asked if they've ever "had sex with a dead body". Maybe the person is a
little shocked by the question, but simply answers a truthfull "No". The
needle then twitches. Their hand has moved, imperceptibly to them, but not
so imperceptibly to the E-Meter --- it's enough to jerk the needle slightly
as they subconsciously squeeze their hands at the thought of something that
disgusts them.

The most baffling thing of all this, is that people are willing to believe
that the needle moving is the work of an invisible alien attached to your
body which is creating disturbances in "the force" due to the reminder of
some past life memory.

There are so many, many plausible explanations for the needle moving. The
subconscious twitching of a hand is one. A change in electrical resistivity
of the skin when lying or under duress is another. Small releases of
perspiration from someone's palms soon after a question has been asked, yet
another.

To believe, or even entertain, the theory that invisible aliens called
Thetans are moving the needle isn't just absurd, it's clinically insane.
Yet more proof that Scientologists so desperately require psychiatric help.
This is not a reason to attack them, but it is a reason to pity them.

feministe

Jul 14, 2008, 3:28:22 AM7/14/08
"Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de

I understand your very interesting explanation, Alex.

But I think there is more than you believe. Some patients/clients/preclears
of the cult have been attached to different electrodes (on feet etc), and
the results were similar as those from hands.

Besides, that could indeed explain the small or realtively small differences
of resistance. But that won't ever explain all, specially the big
differences happening (the resistance coming up and down sometimes from 1500
ohms to 300000 or so, then back to 2500.)

You can get in contact with me.

> The most baffling thing of all this, is that people are willing to believe
> that the needle moving is the work of an invisible alien attached to your
> body which is creating disturbances in "the force" due to the reminder of
> some past life memory.

some of those going up to OTIII indeed, can believe. It's on OTII that I
started to believe that "I" was the one creating the reads of the needle,
not the whatevers the Hubbard said. Iw as waiting needle moves as said by
Hubbard, so, I got them.

I went to the chief of auditions (the D of P, director of processing) and
said so, and I asked to "attest" I had finished the level. I was then
allowed to go to OT III to "'handle BTs"! Then on VII and IIIX, then on
NOTs. Then i seriously doubted Hubbard rants!

roger gonnet

Tom Newton

Jul 14, 2008, 3:43:33 AM7/14/08
On 2008-07-13, in <4879...@news2.lightlink.com> Alex Clark
<al...@microsoft.com> wrote:

One of the few credible anti-Scientology activists I have ever
encountered, one David Graham, thinks the Church of Scientology
should be dismantled, but also says that Auditing, which involves
the use of the E-Meter, is valuable:

"I enjoyed a lot of my time in Scientology, and I think at its
lower levels some of the auditing [counselling] can be very
useful," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/why-i-fled-scientology/2008/04/12/1207856911093.html

> I recall recently there was an uproar from the Scientology community about
> the availability of E-Meters on eBay, and that it violated some legal blah
> blah blah they wanted eBay to take them down, but eBay had finally decided
> to leave them up there.
>
> Of course, that meant that Anonymous got their hands on various E-Meters, as
> depicted in this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vNK3xV4kc&feature=related
>
> Several of these devices have now been completely disassembled and examined
> by trained electricians, which only served to prove what the video seems to
> indicate anyway.
>
> E-Meters are little more than a device to measure electrical resistivity.

The plans for E-Meters have been publicly available for many years, you
moron:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/E-Meter/homer-emeter.gif

Notice the date at the top.

Now shut your ignorant and malicious mouth.

<snip>

Thank you.

How typical of the dishonest 'Anons' to try to make it seem as if they
are responsible for revealing the workings of the E-Meter.

Tom

--
Real science: http://www.sethcenter.com/pages/bookstore.htm
If I read your article, I replied to it.

Monica Pignotti

Jul 14, 2008, 7:44:48 AM7/14/08
On Jul 14, 3:43 am, Tom Newton <t...@server.invalid> wrote:
> On 2008-07-13, in <48796...@news2.lightlink.com> Alex Clark

> <a...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> One of the few credible anti-Scientology activists I have ever
> encountered, one David Graham, thinks the Church of Scientology
> should be dismantled, but also says that Auditing, which involves
> the use of the E-Meter, is valuable:
>
> "I enjoyed a lot of my time in Scientology, and I think at its
> lower levels some of the auditing [counselling] can be very
> useful," he said.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/why-i-fled-scientology/2008/04/12...

> > I recall recently there was an uproar from the Scientology community about
> > the availability of E-Meters on eBay, and that it violated some legal blah
> > blah blah they wanted eBay to take them down, but eBay had finally decided
> > to leave them up there.
>
> > Of course, that meant that Anonymous got their hands on various E-Meters, as
> > depicted in this video:
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vNK3xV4kc&feature=related
>
> > Several of these devices have now been completely disassembled and examined
> > by trained electricians, which only served to prove what the video seems to
> > indicate anyway.
>
> > E-Meters are little more than a device to measure electrical resistivity.
>
> The plans for E-Meters have been publicly available for many years, you
> moron:
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/E-Meter/homer-emeter.gif
>
> Notice the date at the top.
>
> Now shut your ignorant and malicious mouth.
>
> <snip>
>
> Thank you.
>
> How typical of the dishonest 'Anons' to try to make it seem as if they
> are responsible for revealing the workings of the E-Meter.

That's what I found most incredible about this posting -- that Alex
would imply the Anons made some huge discovery about the inner
workings of the e-meter when it has been getting dismantled since the
beginning of its existence by various people and agencies. Its not as
if only Scientologists have had access to e-meters. The FDA itself has
investigated the e-meter, as well as psychiatrists and others who
obtained them from ex-Scientologists. The inner workings of the e-
meter are no big secret.

Monica Pignotti

Jul 14, 2008, 7:49:47 AM7/14/08

Are you seriously suggesting that the Anons are the first to dismantle
the e-meter? If so, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-meter

As the article describes, E-meters were taken from the CofS by US
Marshalls and thoroughly investigated in 1963 and a number of people
have had access to e-meters since then. This is getting ridiculous.

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 1:19:43 PM7/14/08
> The FDA itself has
> investigated the e-meter, as well as psychiatrists and others who
> obtained them from ex-Scientologists. The inner workings of the e-
> meter are no big secret.

Which is what makes Scientologists staunchly held beliefs about its amazing
powers even more disturbing. Plans to the e-meter have been circulating for
decades and it's clearly nothing more than a tarted up Ohm-Meter (the kind
you can get from RadioShack for a few bucks) yet people sink thousands of
dollars into buying them and being questioned while attached to them.

How can someone actually place so much faith into something so clearly and
utterly useless? I suppose that's what the mastery of Scientology as a
whole actually is. A pyramid scheme dressed up as a "religion", designed to
work on vulnerable people.

In fact, that's the true power of the e-meter. Anyone with an ounce of
sense knows it's about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. But any adult
who's foolish enough to put some credence into its readings is effectively
identifying themselves to an auditor by saying "Look at me - I believe in
this ridiculous useless device, therefore I am mentally susceptible to
pyramid scams and other confidence tricks such as yours." As soon as this
becomes apparent, the auditor knows that they are ripe for harvesting.

So I suppose I was wrong after all. The e-meter is quite an effective tool,
but only as effective as the tools who use it.

Tom Newton

Jul 14, 2008, 2:37:48 PM7/14/08
On 2008-07-14, in <487b...@news2.lightlink.com> Alex Clark
<al...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> The FDA itself has investigated the e-meter, as well
>> as psychiatrists and others who obtained them from
>> ex-Scientologists. The inner workings of the e- meter are no
>> big secret.
>
> Which is what makes Scientologists staunchly held beliefs
> about its amazing powers even more disturbing.

Another appallingly ignorant post. At least you are consistent.

(Oops! This is 'Anonymous': He's probably lying and knows it.)

The "power of the E-Meter" is not in the device, but in the
skill of the Auditor.

I wonder what alias(es) this malicious bigot usually posts under
here.

The name hasn't been around for at least 10,000 posts to this
group, but he obviously has.

And he's certainly been active on other groups on the Usenet
with this alias:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=%22Alex+Clark%22&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=14&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2008&safe=off

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,290,000 for author:"Alex author:Clark"

This sort of deceptive practice is the norm for 'Anon'.

They don't even know what honesty is and couldn't care less.

<snip>

Tom Newton

Jul 14, 2008, 2:48:20 PM7/14/08
On 2008-07-14, in
<e00c957e-9504-476d...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.co

Didn't you read his other posts to me?

This fellow is a stinking troll of the lowest order.

Like all such internet vermin, he couldn't care less what the truth is.

Fortunately for the Church of Scientology, the majority of 'Anons' are
of his ilk.

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 3:37:03 PM7/14/08
Tom,

I'm happy to see that you are still indeed giving my posts attention by
reading and responding to them, in contrast to what you promised in an
earlier thread. This is good because, even if you're not mentally ready for
the truth, you're clearly curious about it. I firmly believe you can make a
full recovery from your mental illness, but you must take the first steps
and seek out help. You're probably not used to being given a choice over
something like that, given your affiliation with Scientology, but if you try
to think objectively and make your own decisions, you'll quickly realise
that it would be in your best interests to seek out immediate psychiatric
help. You won't be judged for it, or punished, or even audited - you'll be
welcomed back into society once you're cured.

> Results 1 - 10 of about 4,290,000 for author:"Alex author:Clark"
>
> This sort of deceptive practice is the norm for 'Anon'.
>
> They don't even know what honesty is and couldn't care less.

Again Tom, I see you're adamant in your paranoia that I've posted 4.29
million posts to Usenet, despite the obvious. This is further proof of what
Scientology has done to your mind - you're ignoring the objective facts and
focussing on the impossible as though it were truth. Have you even thought
to question how such a thing would be possible? Or did the church forbid
you from such things?

It's not too late Tom. Reality awaits you. All you have to do is make the
first move and seek help. You won't regret it.

JT

Jul 14, 2008, 4:52:21 PM7/14/08
"Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

I did not read in details this thread and much less the technicalities of
the e-meter but the idea that comes to me is that it should be tested in its
function rather than in its anatomy. Does it actually measure mental
reactions or not? It you pitch someone does it react? If someone views a
traumatic incident, does it react? If someone is happy, does it show?

Looking at the anatomy of something to determine if the function works or
not seems to be a bit useless. Looking at the anatomy of the brain or any
other organ doesn't really tell much about its function, it likewise just is
a couple of wired biological elements.

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 5:44:33 PM7/14/08
> I did not read in details this thread and much less the technicalities of
> the e-meter but the idea that comes to me is that it should be tested in
> its function rather than in its anatomy. Does it actually measure mental
> reactions or not? It you pitch someone does it react? If someone views a
> traumatic incident, does it react? If someone is happy, does it show?

I am not debating that it registers reactions under certain conditions.
This is plainly proven in various YouTube videos of people testing the
device for themselves, holding the cans while a friend asks them questions.

I am pointing out that Scientology's interpretation of the reasoning for
such reactions isn't just flawed, it's comical to the extent that most 5
year old children would be smart enough to see it for the nonsense it is.
To assume that a volcanically fried alien from millions of years past is
attached invisibly to your body, making the needle jump, is... well, it
speaks for itself.

> Looking at the anatomy of something to determine if the function works or
> not seems to be a bit useless. Looking at the anatomy of the brain or any
> other organ doesn't really tell much about its function, it likewise just
> is a couple of wired biological elements.

To compare an e-meter to a brain is an interesting comparison indeed. We
don't even pretend to know everything there is to know about the brain,
about the way it works, or how to fix it when problems arise. I suspect
that, if all mental illnesses could be cured for example, there would be no
such thing as Scientology.

To compare a complex biological processor such as the human brain with a
device that is well documented, easily reverse engineered, and easily
recreated with a couple of dollars of electronic components is no comparison
at all.

We *know* how the e-meter works. We *know* it is nothing more than the sum
of its parts. To imply otherwise is to imply that a pocket calculator is
indicating evidence of invisible aliens - the only difference being that the
pocket calculator contains far more sophisticated equipment than an e-meter.

Just because it is measuring something, does not follow that it is measuring
what you *believe* it to be measuring. Strangely enough, every time the
fuel guage needle in my car reaches E, my wallet empties out shortly after.
Are the two events connected? Yes. Is it because an armed robber steels
all of my money as the vehicles kharma approaches the "Empty" reading? No.

And even that is more believable than Thetans in your body.

Tom Newton

Jul 14, 2008, 5:59:43 PM7/14/08
On 2008-07-14, in
<S0Pek.253643$Tj3....@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com> JT
<Barry...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Then shut the fuck up.

Which is something that you obviously are incapable of, whether you
know anything about the subject or not.

Like all trolls, you skim a couple of webpages and are suddenly transformed
into the World's Foremost Authority on the topic.

<snip>

Tom

JT

Jul 14, 2008, 6:03:42 PM7/14/08
"Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I did not read in details this thread and much less the technicalities of
>> the e-meter but the idea that comes to me is that it should be tested in
>> its function rather than in its anatomy. Does it actually measure mental
>> reactions or not? It you pitch someone does it react? If someone views a
>> traumatic incident, does it react? If someone is happy, does it show?
>
> I am not debating that it registers reactions under certain conditions.
> This is plainly proven in various YouTube videos of people testing the
> device for themselves, holding the cans while a friend asks them
> questions.
>
> I am pointing out that Scientology's interpretation of the reasoning for
> such reactions isn't just flawed, it's comical to the extent that most 5
> year old children would be smart enough to see it for the nonsense it is.
> To assume that a volcanically fried alien from millions of years past is
> attached invisibly to your body, making the needle jump, is... well, it
> speaks for itself.

Are you saying that it is the BTs making the needle jump, directly with
their thetan hands, rather than the mental reaction to them? I hope this is
not what you are saying.

Now this raises an interesting question.

You could argue that the e-meter reacts when the person is pinched. By
extension, you could also argue that it reacts to some traumatic or
unpleasant memory. But what is it reacting to when some imaginary BTs are
supposedly contacted?

It is an interesting question indeed.

The same could be asked in regards to past lives incidents.

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 6:30:47 PM7/14/08
>> I am pointing out that Scientology's interpretation of the reasoning for
>> such reactions isn't just flawed, it's comical to the extent that most 5
>> year old children would be smart enough to see it for the nonsense it is.
>> To assume that a volcanically fried alien from millions of years past is
>> attached invisibly to your body, making the needle jump, is... well, it
>> speaks for itself.
>
> Are you saying that it is the BTs making the needle jump, directly with
> their thetan hands, rather than the mental reaction to them? I hope this
> is not what you are saying.

Are you honestly implying that the needle is reacting to a mental state
rather than something physical? If this is so, perhaps there is such a
thing as "computer error" after all, because it would imply that one's
mental state or mental reactions is *directly* influencing the impedance of
current in an electrical circuit. By that definition, getting angry at my
computer when it isn't doing what I want could actually force it to submit
to my will. In reality, this is of course ridiculous.

The needle is not moving as a reaction to the user's mental state. The
user's mental state, or mental reaction to a question, is expressed in
physical terms - a slight squeezing of the hands, emission of perspiration
in the palms, involuntary and visually imperceptible muscular spasms, or
possibly even a slight change in the body's electrical field.

*That* is what the needle is registering. Nothing more or less.

It is not in debate (at least from your standpoint I truly hope it is not)
that squeezing the cans will wildly alter the needle's readout. Wearing a
handlotion with insulating properties will interfere with the e-meter's
abilities (and I understand is not permitted during auditing?). Wearing
chainmail gloves would likely produce somewhat of a different readout as
well.

> You could argue that the e-meter reacts when the person is pinched. By
> extension, you could also argue that it reacts to some traumatic or
> unpleasant memory. But what is it reacting to when some imaginary BTs are
> supposedly contacted?

You say that with the implication that a collection of electrical resistors
and a needle-guage are capable of contacting "imaginary BTs", or even that
it's capable of anything other than measuring electrical impedance. It is
not. By design.

> It is an interesting question indeed.
>
> The same could be asked in regards to past lives incidents.

Once again, this infers that the e-meter is measuring something regarding
past lives. It's not.

I'll say this again: it is measuring electrical impedance. The ability for
an electrical current to pass from one can to another. Nothing more,
nothing less, and the designs and components involved in the construction of
the e-meter confirm this. Even if L Ron Hubbard sprinkled it with his
special pixie dust, it would still just be a very expensive variant of a
RadioShack OhmMeter.

Tom Newton

Jul 14, 2008, 6:46:19 PM7/14/08
On 2008-07-14, in
<L3Qek.237869$Gv.1...@en-nntp-07.dc1.easynews.com> JT
<Barry...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> "Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I did not read in details this thread and much less the technicalities of
>>> the e-meter but the idea that comes to me is that it should be tested in
>>> its function rather than in its anatomy. Does it actually measure mental
>>> reactions or not? It you pitch someone does it react? If someone views a
>>> traumatic incident, does it react? If someone is happy, does it show?
>>
>> I am not debating that it registers reactions under certain conditions.
>> This is plainly proven in various YouTube videos of people testing the
>> device for themselves, holding the cans while a friend asks them
>> questions.
>>
>> I am pointing out that Scientology's interpretation of the reasoning for
>> such reactions isn't just flawed, it's comical to the extent that most 5
>> year old children would be smart enough to see it for the nonsense it is.
>> To assume that a volcanically fried alien from millions of years past is
>> attached invisibly to your body, making the needle jump, is... well, it
>> speaks for itself.
>

> Are you saying that it is the BTs making the needle jump, directly with
> their thetan hands, rather than the mental reaction to them? I hope this is
> not what you are saying.

Your hopes have been fulfilled.

> Now this raises an interesting question.

No it doesn't.

> You could argue that the e-meter reacts when the person is pinched.

If you were incredibly ignorant of the subject.

Or a malicious loser intent upon harassing a religious minority.

<snip>

Your ignorance is absolutely laughable. Or are you simply being
a typical 'Anon' and posting whatever you think will make the
Church of Scientology look bad?

Ignorance of a topic never keeps a troll from rambling on forever
on it as if he/she was the world's foremost expert on the topic.

And unjustified malice is their meat and potatoes.

David Graham, who, unlike this motormouthed adolescent, spent
years in the Church of Scientology, eventually joining
the Sea Org, their elite inner council. He thinks the
Church should be dismantled.

But he also had this to say:

"I enjoyed a lot of my time in Scientology, and I think at its
lower levels some of the auditing [counselling] can be very
useful," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/why-i-fled-scientology/2008/04/12...

That "auditing" is done with the E-Meter.

David Graham is a credible critic.

This motormouthed juvenile delinquent, and all the rest of the 'Anons'
like him, are not.

They are stinking trolls who never quit running their mouths long
enough to learn anything.

JT

Jul 14, 2008, 7:06:37 PM7/14/08
"Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I am pointing out that Scientology's interpretation of the reasoning for
>>> such reactions isn't just flawed, it's comical to the extent that most 5
>>> year old children would be smart enough to see it for the nonsense it
>>> is. To assume that a volcanically fried alien from millions of years
>>> past is attached invisibly to your body, making the needle jump, is...
>>> well, it speaks for itself.
>>
>> Are you saying that it is the BTs making the needle jump, directly with
>> their thetan hands, rather than the mental reaction to them? I hope this
>> is not what you are saying.
>
> Are you honestly implying that the needle is reacting to a mental state
> rather than something physical? If this is so, perhaps there is such a
> thing as "computer error" after all, because it would imply that one's
> mental state or mental reactions is *directly* influencing the impedance
> of current in an electrical circuit. By that definition, getting angry at
> my computer when it isn't doing what I want could actually force it to
> submit to my will. In reality, this is of course ridiculous.
>
> The needle is not moving as a reaction to the user's mental state. The
> user's mental state, or mental reaction to a question, is expressed in
> physical terms - a slight squeezing of the hands, emission of perspiration
> in the palms, involuntary and visually imperceptible muscular spasms, or
> possibly even a slight change in the body's electrical field.
>
> *That* is what the needle is registering. Nothing more or less.

Of course. By reacting to mental mass I meant through the physical reaction
it is supposed to produce. This seemed so obvious to me I saw no need to
qualify that statement.

> It is not in debate (at least from your standpoint I truly hope it is not)
> that squeezing the cans will wildly alter the needle's readout. Wearing a
> handlotion with insulating properties will interfere with the e-meter's
> abilities (and I understand is not permitted during auditing?). Wearing
> chainmail gloves would likely produce somewhat of a different readout as
> well.

Obviously.

>> You could argue that the e-meter reacts when the person is pinched. By
>> extension, you could also argue that it reacts to some traumatic or
>> unpleasant memory. But what is it reacting to when some imaginary BTs are
>> supposedly contacted?
>
> You say that with the implication that a collection of electrical
> resistors and a needle-guage are capable of contacting "imaginary BTs", or
> even that it's capable of anything other than measuring electrical
> impedance. It is not. By design.

Obviously the E-meter is not contacting any BT by itself.

My question is, if we admit the e-meter can react through a physical pinch,
and if we admit that it can react to unpleasant memories (through the
reaction it creates on the body of course), then what is it that it reacts
to when the person is supposedly making connection with BTs or with past
lives memories?

It is a question to which I don't have the answer so I could not possibly be
implying anything.

>> It is an interesting question indeed.
>>
>> The same could be asked in regards to past lives incidents.
>
> Once again, this infers that the e-meter is measuring something regarding
> past lives. It's not.
>
> I'll say this again: it is measuring electrical impedance. The ability
for
> an electrical current to pass from one can to another. Nothing more,
> nothing less, and the designs and components involved in the construction
> of the e-meter confirm this. Even if L Ron Hubbard sprinkled it with his
> special pixie dust, it would still just be a very expensive variant of a
> RadioShack OhmMeter.

Yeah, but what is causing the reaction of the needle when the person is
pinched, when the person recalls an actual past memory, when the person
recalls a supposedly real past lives incidents, and when the person
supposedly mentally connect with a BT?

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 7:40:59 PM7/14/08
> Yeah, but what is causing the reaction of the needle when the person is
> pinched, when the person recalls an actual past memory, when the person
> recalls a supposedly real past lives incidents, and when the person
> supposedly mentally connect with a BT?

The person. I would assume that an auditor doesn't simply explain any
random movement of the needle as "ooh, look, you just contacted a past life"
but is in fact provoking such a scenario with questions. From that point
the explanation seems fairly obvious to me - they're asking a person to
concentrate or focus on something, the person's imagination sets to work,
and the reaction is the same as if they'd just been asked a very simple
question. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but there is no mysticism
with regards to the operation of the e-meter itself. The reactions which
are invoked in the user is a result of them sitting there, responding to
stimulii.

Alex Clark

Jul 14, 2008, 7:45:39 PM7/14/08
"Alan Connor" alanc...@earthlink.net wrote in message
> On 2008-07-14, in

> David Graham is a credible critic.
>
> Alan

Alan, again I see evidence of your delusional beliefs. David Graham is no
more a credible *anything* than anyone who has spent years of their life
wasted being brainwashed by a pyramid scheme. Regarding someone who sank
thousands upon thousands of dollars into auditing as being an objective
critic of it is the work of fantasy. Again, proof that you require mental
help, and again I urge you to seek it. Please Alan, there are people who
are willing to help you - all you have to do is let them.

John

Jul 16, 2008, 5:51:38 PM7/16/08

"Alex Clark" <al...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

The E-Meter was the perfect tool for a mid-20th Century cult. Post-WWII.
Technology wins the war. The E-meter had science-like dials and cool silver
handles and an operating procedure that needed to be learnt! Just because it
may as well have been built from coconuts doesn't mean it didn't *look* the
part.

Homer Wilson Smith

Jul 16, 2008, 7:36:07 PM7/16/08
Yes the E-meter is a simple WetStone bridge, but so is a fancy ECG
machine. The e-meter simply measures one channel of information, namely
skin resistence.

It is an interesting and demonstrable fact that suppressed
psychological tension can cause the E-meter to develop various reads if
one goes poking around in that area of the person's life and the person
is ready to confront it.

The meter will read when the person says nothing there, and so
persisting a bit because the meter says so can be lucrative.

If the pc is opposed to being run on a meter he can mess with its
reads, but probably can't make it float.

With a cooperative pc who is interested in their own case and
willing to talk to the auditor, the meter acts as a good divining rod to
help the auditor know when a line of inquiry is dead or active, and when
one is done with that line so one doesn't go too far.

The key to the E-meter is its meter dial which has a 1 sec or so
resonant frequency which the ohm meters in Radio Shack do not have.

However one can audit with an ohm meter or an oscilloscope or an
internet meter, doesn't really matter to a trained eye. Measuring the
basic ohmage of a person, without attention to specific reads, goes a
long ways towards telling the auditor what needs to be done for the
case.

Most people are in the 5000 to 12000 ohm range, but if you run into
someone in the 100,000 or more range watch out. It's not hand contact
you are measuring, that can be noramlized with simple scientific care.

Beyond that, one looks for sticks and stops followed by cascading
falls when the pc is talking about the rough periods of his life.

No read, don't take it up, reads well, take it up and prepcheck
the hell out of the area.

Homer

Homer Wilson Smith The Paths of Lovers Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959 KC2ITF Cross Internet Access, Ithaca NY
ho...@lightlink.com In the Line of Duty http://www.lightlink.com

Alex Clark

Jul 16, 2008, 9:30:24 PM7/16/08
What you're describing, Homer, is a fairly basic primitive lie detector. At
least we're in agreement though. For a moment, I thought you were honestly
implying that e-meter fluctuations on a person being audited were
indications of thetans or even "past life energy" or some such ridiculous
notion. Glad to see you're a reasonable chap, and that we're on the same
page.

I'm sure every e-meter audit session is performed under scientifically sound
conditions also - in an electromagnetically shielded room with no other
electronic equipment inside or near by, and with strictly regulated voltage.
Wouldn't want nearby powerlines or stray cellphone/WiFi signals producing
false positives, would they?

But I'm sure Scientology would be careful to take all of the above
precautions. Otherwise people might start to think their "tech" is all a
load of "crap". Right? ;-)

"Homer Wilson Smith" <ho...@adore2.lightlink.com> wrote in message