About Peter R. Breggin, MD

Nina.R...@yahoo.com

Sep 22, 2008, 8:34:21 PM9/22/08
Peter R. Breggin, MD, has been called "the conscience of psychiatry"
for his efforts to reform the mental health field, including his
promotion of caring psychotherapeutic approaches and his opposition to
the escalating overuse of psychiatric medications, the oppressive
diagnosing and drugging of children, electroshock, lobotomy,
involuntary treatment, and false biological theories.

A Harvard-trained psychiatrist and former full-time consultant at
NIMH, Dr. Breggin's private practice is in Ithaca, New York, where he
treats adults, couples, and families with children. He also offers
consultations in clinical psychopharmacology and often acts as a
medical expert in criminal, malpractice and product liability suits.
He is the author of many scientific articles and books including
Medication Madness: A psychiatrist exposes the dangers of mood-
altering medications (2008).

l.l.lipshitz

Sep 23, 2008, 11:43:07 AM9/23/08
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:34:21 -0700 (PDT), Nina.R...@yahoo.com
<Nina.R...@yahoo.com> wrote in
<09de4086-4699-47b8...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:

<http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/breggin.html>
ADHD, Ritalin, and Conspiracies: Talking Back to
Peter Breggin by Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D, 1998

<http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/breggin.html>
Some Notes on ADHD and Peter R. Breggin's Unfair
Attack on Ritalin by Stephen Barrett, MD (article
revised Sep 2002)

<http://www.fumento.com/adhd/adhdtnr.html>
good (conservative) pro-ritalin article

<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62922,00.html>
What Makes an 'Expert' an Expert?

<http://www.goldfeinlaw.com/news/2004_motion1_galli.html>
Richard Galli, arguing that the views of the
plaintiff's expert (Breggin) were anecdotal and
unsupported by medical and scientific literature,
was granted a defense Motion in Limine to disqualify
the testimony of the plaintiff's expert (Breggin),
which subsequently resulted in the dismissal of the
medical malpractice case against a family practice
physician and psychiatrist.

<http://www.psychlaws.org/BriefingPapers/BP20.htm>
Dr. Peter Breggin has argued that people with
schizophrenia bring the symptoms on themselves
because of "cowardice" or "failure of nerve."
[cite: P.R. Breggin, The Psychology of Freedom (1980)]
- E. Fuller Torrey, MD "What is wrong with the brain
in schizophrenia?" Treatment Advocacy Center Briefing
Paper, February 2006

<http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/breggin.html>
also has these court quotes:

Dr. Breggin's observations are totally without
credibility. I can almost declare him, I guess from
statements that floor me, to say that he's a fraud
or at least approaching that. He has made some
outrageous statements and written outrageous books
and which he says he has now withdrawn and his
thinking is different. He's untrained. He's a member
of no hospital staff. He has not since medical school
participated in any studies to support his
conclusions except maybe one. ... I can't place any
credence or credibility in what he has to recommend
in this case.
-Judge James W. Rice in Schellinger v. Schellinger,
No. 93-FA-939-763 (Milwaukee County Circuit Court, 1997)

This court finds that the evidence of Peter Breggin,
as a purported expert, fails nearly all particulars
under the standard set forth in Daubert and its
progeny. ... Simply put, the Court believes that
Dr. Breggin's opinions do not rise to the level of
an opinion based on "good science." The motion to
exclude his testimony as an expert witness should
be granted.
-Magistrate Judge B. Waugh Crigler in Lam v. The
Upjohn Company, No. 94-0033-H, W. Dist., of VA
(Harrisonburg Division, U.S. District Court, 1995)

The court believes not only is this gentleman
unqualified to render the opinions that he did, I
believe that his bias in this case is blinding. ...
I find that he ... was not only unprepared, he was
mistaken in a lot of the factual basis for which he
expressed his opinion. ... The court is going to
strike the testimony of Dr. Breggin, finding that it
has no rational basis.
-Judge Hilary J. Caplan in Lightner v. Alessi, No.
94013064/CL174959 (Baltimore City Circuit Court, 1995).

--
-elle
--------=[ l.l.lipshitz * elkube(at)lycos(dot)com ]=--------

feministe

Sep 23, 2008, 3:34:53 PM9/23/08
"l.l.lipshitz" <elk...@lycos.invalid> a écrit dans le message de

Good search. Is Breggin really a doctor, one could doubt. Same for the two
or four "doctors" who sell scientology in France. Miserable sellers of
nothing. They don't even announce sometimes that they are scientologists
when okaying someone a purification cert...

Ted Mayett

Sep 24, 2008, 5:32:07 PM9/24/08
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:43:07 +0000 (UTC), "l.l.lipshitz"
<elk...@lycos.invalid> wrote:

I think I might just web this, give it a link from someplace, maybe
google finds it.

--
Ted Mayett
Critical information regarding Scientology: