Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Scientology v. Armstrong, 25 years ago today

閲覧: 1 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Gerry Armstrong

未読、
2006/11/25 20:36:202006/11/25
To:
Twenty-five years ago, while working on the Hubbard biography project,
I wrote this dispatch to Cirrus Slevin, then the HCO Cope Officer in
the Commodore's Messenger Organization International at the Gilman
Hotsprings base. I copied David Miscavige, the Special Project Project
Ops. On December 12, I left the Sea Org and Scientology forever. The
little fakir didn't take it well.

[Quote]

HCO Cope Officer CMO Int

LRH PA Archivist c/o CECP

cc: Spec Pjt Pjt Ops
cc: Spec Pjt IC
cc: Spec Pjt 2nd (NS)

re: Norman's Report/Biog Research

Dear Cirrus:

Thank you for showing me Norman Starkey's report
on me. I understand his stand and attitude, although some
of the statements presented are not totally accurate. I
feel too that he missed the main point I was making, as
this was not mentioned in his despatch.

I will go over that "main point" then cover the
various points Norman touches on in his report.

What I brought up when talking to Norman, and in
fact my working basis as a biographical researcher, is to
not present anything for publication on LRH which is not
known to be fact.

C of S published biographical sketches, copyrighted
in LRH's name, have in the past contained a number of easily
disprovable claims. These things have been disproved and
shot at by various enemies at various times.

I've attached what is in fact a "false report
correction" on some of our claims, prepared by an enemy
researcher, Michael Linn Shannon. Much of Shannon's
material is accurate. The slant he gives the material is
entheta. My emphasis, and I think the emphasis we all must
give, to the handling of LRH biographical material is
accuracy with a theta slant.

If we present inaccuracies, hyperbole or downright
lies as fact or truth, it doesn't matter what slant we give
them, ifdisproved the man will look, to outsiders at least,
like a charlatan. This is what I'm trying to prevent and
what I've been working on the past year and a half.

I'm sure you've seen examples of this. Take
Kima Douglas. For years she claims to be "registered nurse".
And for years she handles LRH's medical needs, apparently
successfully. Something happens and it is "found out"
that she never was an RN. Kima and all that she did are

-2-

thrown into discredit and she carries her blemish with her.
And it doesn't matter even if Kima was better than many
certified RN's.

Even in our system it would be severely dealt with
if someone pretended certification. Someone claiming to be
a Class XII when in fact he had not completed his Academy
Levels, or someone claiming to be a C/S when he had only read
some HCOBs does not last long. All his work becomes suspect.

It seems to have the effect in people's minds of
lessening the stature of not only the person but his work
and products when claims he has made, or others have made
about him, are debunked.

And that is why I said to Norman that it is up to
us to ensure that everything which goes out about LRH is
100% accurate. That is not to say that opinions can't be
voiced, they can. And they can contain all the hype you
want. But they should not be construed as facts. And
anything stated as a fact should be documentable.

We are in a period when "investigative reporting"
is popular and when there is relatively easy access to
documentation on a person (see Shannon again). We can't
delude ourselves I believe, if we want to gain public
acceptance and cause some betterment in society, that we
can get away with statements, the validity of which we
don't know.

The real disservice to LRH, and the ultimate make-
wrong is to go on assuming that everything he's ever written
or said is 100% accurate and publish it as such without
verifying it. I'm talking here about biographical or non-
technical writings. This only leads, should any of his
statements turn out to be inaccurate, to a make-wrong of him,
and consequently, his technology.

That's what I'm trying to remedy and prevent.

To say that LRH is not capable of hype, errors
or lies is certainly not granting him much of a beingness.
To continue on with the line that he has never erred nor lied
is counterproductive. It is an unreal attitude and too far
removed from both the reality and people in general that it
would widen public unacceptance.

Of course LRH can err. I recall something about
Norman being removed from the bridge and as Captain of the
"Apollo" by LRH and LRH saying Norman was running the ship
aground. Years later Norman disproved this statement. It
was an error.

-3-

I've attached an item "Data Sheet on Lafayette
Ronald Hubbard" in his handwriting which was for use
by the PR's and for publication. It contains a number of
claims which are not totally accurate, or are flatly untrue.

a. " graduated from Columbia College George
Washington University, Washing DC in 1932"
He didn't graduate.

b. " attended Princeton University Post Graduate"
He didn't.

c. "Led Caribbean Motion Picture Expedition 1933
It was 1932.

d."West Indies Minerals 1934"
It was 1932.

e." Columbia Pictures 1935"
It was 1937.

f. " Many"screen credits" on major stars and
pictures". Hyperbole.

g. " Provost Marshall Korea 1945".
Untrue

h. " Hollywood Director and writer 1946 on"
Untrue, hype and undocumented.

The whole point is that these things are absolutely"
irrelevant. LRH's contributions to the world, and why we
are in this game, are the philosophy and technology he
developed. These things stand without false "supporting
claims".

When one has a certainty on the validity of the
subjects he is not shaken by the personal "flaws" of the
man. On theother hand, if the man can be pointed up as
false in his personal claims, the subject can be thrown into
disrepute to anyone who is not sure in his knowledge of the
subject's workability.

That is what the enemy is trying to do, and that
is why I feel the falsities must be corrected, and why we
must verify our facts and present them in a favorable light.

If LRH's position and PR were strong and secure
right now, I could be corrected on this viewpoint, but they
aren't, and I can't. Even if all the legal cases are won,
the PR must be handled if LRH is to have the freedom and
success he deserves.

-4-

The fact is, LRH's true life story is far more
interesting and poignant than the BS and hype show. They
detract from the man and his story. The truth, well presented,
is a fabulous story.

It is not logical that I should be targeted
for digging up the facts. LRH always has a good reason for
doing what he does, so where there are untruths or contrary
facts, we'll someday, when there is a line to him, have
to ask him. For now, we can't go on making up stories to
cover up undocumented "facts", untruths or contrary facts.
We don't even know why he said what he said at the time.
All we can go on is the documents and what is known for
certain.

Now to cover the various points I recall from
Norman's report:

1. Commander Thompson. I never said this is a
lie. I just said we don't have any supporting evidence,
so why use it. We just shouldn't until we get the
documentation.

There are contrary facts surrounding Thompson.
Eg. VMH: "Between the years 1923 and 1928, he received an
extensive education in the field of the human mind from
Commander Thompson..." Same article, previous page is
the statement: "From 1925 to 1929 L. Ron Hubbard
journeyed throughout Asia." Did Thompson accompany him?
Was it a correspondence course? We just don't know.

2. LRH's Grandfather's cattle ranch in Montana.
Well, it just doesn't exist. I've interviewed LRH's Aunt,
Uncle, 4 cousins, all of whom deny the existence of a
cattle ranch. Montana State records don't show the existence
of a cattle ranch. Yet there it is in the Biographical Sketch
attached.

Again, this is not to decry LRH, just the opposite.
He doesn't need lies told about him.

3. I believe Norman mentioned something about the
claim of being a nuclear physicist. This is just an indefensible
claim. It neither accurately describes LRH's status nor his
accomplishments. Plus it opens the door to attack. It
may have been okay at some point, but not when he is being
held up to public scrutiny and ridicule.

Again, it isn't that it is right or wrong that
he has said what he has said. That point is irrelevant.
It's just a matter ofworkability. This is not the age
for hype and untruths; they haven't worked.

-5-

4. Nibs. What I stated was that the situation with
Nibs is to a great degree our creation. He has been mishandled
and dealt with dishonestly.

Dishonesty begets dishonesty. Nibs has known
he was getting SO#1 letters; not LRH letters. That's just
not a 100°/honest handling of the man's son. It doesn't
excuse his own acts and condition, but it helps in their
understanding.

I believe that unless there is an understanding
and acknowledgement that the guy was mishandled and dealt
with dishonestly, even if to a very tiny degree, the sit-
uation can't resolve. I'm not saying tell Nibs, just get
honest about it. That's all I said.

As far as Omar Garrison's attitude is concerned,
I've attached 4 statements:

1. His statement about LRH from "Hidden Story of
Scientology". This lays out OVG's opinion of the man.

2. OVG's "LRH Biog -- Workpoints" which show
his appreciation for the man and job of doing the book.

3. LRH's response of 16 Mar 1977 to Omar's
"Workpoints".

4. LRH's comment in 1976; " Omar is a great writer."
This indicates LRH's appreciation of OVG.

As far as I am concerned, I feel the, biography is
perhaps the single most important PR action we've ever
taken. And I feel it must be 100% accurate. My job is
documentation. Facts, not opinions.

Norman's report showed his concern about what
data is being given to Omar. I would like it known that I
have simply delivered copies of the documents I have here.
Omar is intelligent. He is an adult. He draws his own
conclusions. And he is writing the book himself. I have not
given him one word of advice on the content or direction of
his book.

I'm sure he would be very willing to talk to
anyone, in fact his complaint has been an apparent lack
of concern about the biog.

My integrity leads me in the direction I've
laid out above. If this is unsatisfactory and I should not
be on the project with this viewpoint, please let me know
right away. Omar depends on me to a great degree and I
would want to get a replacement grooved in speedily as the
book project nears completion.

-6-

I'm open to any response from any of the recipients
of this note.

And it would be good if Norman got in comm with
me. I'd welcome the opportunity to show him the documentation
I've assembled.

Let me know back soon as I feel my existence has
been unstabilized.

Much love,
Gerry

[End Quote]

My dispatch to Slevin was admitted into evidence in the first lawsuit
Miscavige had the cult file against me, and was quoted by LA Superior
Court Judge Paul G. Breckenridge, Jr. in his decision in the case
after trial in 1984.

[Quote]

Slowly, however, throughout 1981, Defendant Armstrong began to
see that Hubbard and the Organization had continuously lied about
Hubbard's past, his credentials, and his accomplishments. Defendant
Armstrong believed, in good faith, that the only means by which
Scientology could succeed in what Defendant Armstrong believed was its
goal of creating an ethical environment on earth, and the only way
Hubbard could be free of his critics, would be for Hubbard and the
Organization to discontinue the lies about Hubbard's past, his
credentials, and accomplishments. Defendant Armstrong resisted any
public relations piece or announcement about Hubbard which the L. Ron
Hubbard Public Relations Bureau proposed for publication which was not
factual. Defendant Armstrong attempted to change and make accurate the
various "about the author" sections in Scientology books, and further,
Defendant rewrote or critiqued several of these and other publications
for the L. Ron Hubbard Public Relations Bureau and various Scientology
Organizations.

Defendant Armstrong believed and desired that the Scientology
Organization and its leader discontinue the perpetration of the

///

-8-

massive fraud upon the innocent followers of Scientology, and the
public at large. Because of Defendant Armstrong's actions, in late
November of 1981, Defendant was requested to come to Gilman Hot
Springs by Commodore Messenger Organization Executive, Cirrus Slevin.
Defendant Armstrong was ordered to undergo a "security check, " which
involved Defendant Armstrong's interrogation while connected to a
crude Scientology lie detector machine called an E-meter.

The Organization wished to determine what materials Defendant
Armstrong had provided to Omar Garrison. Defendant Armstrong was
struck by the realization that the Organization would not work with
him to correct the numerous fraudulent representations made to
followers of Scientology and the public about L. Ron Hubbard and the
Organization itself. Defendant Armstrong, who, for twelve years of his
life, had placed his complete and full trust in Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard
and the Scientology Organization, saw that his trust had no meaning
and that the massive frauds perpetrated about Hubbard's past,
credentials, and accomplishments would continue to be spread.

Less than three weeks before Defendant Armstrong left
Scientology, he wrote a letter to Cirrus Slevin on November 25, 1981,
in which it is clear that his intentions in airing the inaccuracies,
falsehoods, and frauds regarding Hubbard were done in good faith. In
his letter he stated as follows:

" If we present inaccuracies, hyperbole
or downright lies as fact or truth, it
doesn't matter what slant we give them, if

-9-

disproved the man will look, to outsiders
at least, like a charlatan. This is what
I'm trying to prevent and what I've been
working on the past year and a half.
. . .
"and that is why I said to Norman that
it is up to us to insure that everything
which goes out about LRH is one hundred
percent accurate. That is not to say that
opinions can't be voiced, they can. And
they can contain all the hype you want.
But they should not be construed as facts.
And anything stated as a fact should be
documentable.

"we are in a period when
'investigative reporting' is popular, and
when there is relatively easy access to
documentation on a person. We can't delude
ourselves I believe, if we want to gain
public acceptance and cause some betterment
in society, that we can get away with
statements, the validity of which we don't
know.

"The real disservice to LRH, and the
ultimate make-wrong is to go on assuming
that everything he's ever written or said
is one hundred percent accurate and publish
it as such without verifying it. I'm

-10-

talking here about biographical or
non-technical writings. This only leads,
should any of his statements turn out to be
inaccurate, to a make-wrong of him, and
consequently his technology.
"That's what I'm trying to remedy and
prevent.
. . .
"To say that LRH is not capable of
hype, errors or lies is certanly [sic] not
granting him much of a beingness. To
continue on with the line that he has never
erred nor lied is counterproductive. It is
an unreal attitude and too far removed from
both the reality and people in general that
it would widen public unacceptance.
. . .
". . . That is why I feel the
falsities must be corrected, and why we
must verify our facts and present them in a
favorable light."

The remainder of the letter contains examples of facts about Hubbard
which Defendant Armstrong found to be wholly untrue or inaccurate and
which were represented as true by the Hubbards and the Scientology
Organization.

[End Quote]
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/legal/a1/breckenridge-decision.html

The Breckenridge decision became the judgment in the case, and was
affirmed on appeal in 1991.
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/legal/a1/appeal/283cal.rptr.917.html

What a long strange trip it's been.

© Gerry Armstrong
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org

RolandRB

未読、
2006/11/25 21:03:342006/11/25
To:
You Goddam SP. Next you'll be saying he never went to Venus (where he
was nearly run over by a freight locomotive) just because he didn't
take photos of it all when he went there. Surely LRH's say so is
enough! He is Source and the only man in millions of years to come up
with the tech to save the planet.

SME

未読、
2006/11/25 21:15:012006/11/25
To:
Thanks very much for sharing that Gerry.

You folks on that MCCS mission were doomed from the start. You all had
good intentions and wanted to produce good and honest products, whether
it related to the bio or the corporate scene. Yet the powers-that-be
only wanted MCCS to somehow be a "cover up" and you all "became the
enemies" because you refused to lie and be part of a cover up.

That took courage my friend!

Thank you for that.

Larry

Lermanet.com

未読、
2006/11/26 16:16:592006/11/26
To:
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:36:20 GMT, Gerry Armstrong
<ge...@gerryarmstrong.org> wrote:

Yes Gerry, what a long strange trip its been.
thank you for keeping on, keepin' on.

Arnie Lerma

See:
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=236318#236318

Lermanet.com

未読、
2006/11/26 16:29:062006/11/26

Gerry Armstrong

未読、
2006/11/26 16:36:422006/11/26

Oh, oh. You're acting in concert with me too.
http://www.inconcert.xenu.ca/

Thanks Arnie.

Š Gerry Armstrong
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org