Now for the pawnbroker's apostrophe...

1 view

Adam Funk

Jul 14, 2006, 6:16:45 AM7/14/06
You've seen the greengrocer's apostrophe --- now for the pawnbroker's
apostrophe.

On my way to work I pass one of those dodgy "JEWELLER / PAWNBROKER /
CHEQUES CASHED" shops, which also has this sign sticking out:

+---------------------+
| * Cheques Cashed |
| * Cash 'til' Payday |
| * Cash on the Spot |
+---------------------+

--
Vielen Dank

Bryce Utting

Jul 14, 2006, 7:46:47 AM7/14/06
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> +---------------------+
> | * Cheques Cashed |
> | * Cash 'til' Payday |
> | * Cash on the Spot |
> +---------------------+

what? they're only HALF as scary as regular scare quotes, ya big
wuss.

butting

--
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
then it's because I am.

Mark Edwards

Jul 14, 2006, 9:10:30 AM7/14/06
No cluons were harmed when Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[pawnshop sign]

>+---------------------+
>| * Cheques Cashed |
>| * Cash 'til' Payday |
>| * Cash on the Spot |
>+---------------------+

Hooray for Spot!

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

David DeLaney

Jul 14, 2006, 10:53:34 AM7/14/06
Mark Edwards <Mark-E...@comcast.net> wrote:
>No cluons were harmed when Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>[pawnshop sign]
>
>>+---------------------+
>>| * Cheques Cashed |
>>| * Cash 'til' Payday |
>>| * Cash on the Spot |
>>+---------------------+
>
>Hooray for Spot!

Er, it doesn't say Spot gets any of the cash. And I 'spect a stapler behind
him is involved. So looks like it's still POOR SPOT! ...

Dave "also, the subtle horror of bullet-pointing is shining through" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Adam Funk

Jul 14, 2006, 10:45:06 AM7/14/06
On 2006-07-14, Bryce Utting <but...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>> +---------------------+
>> | * Cheques Cashed |
>> | * Cash 'til' Payday |
>> | * Cash on the Spot |
>> +---------------------+
>
> what? they're only HALF as scary as regular scare quotes, ya big
> wuss.

I ain't afraid of no quotes.

--
Vielen Dank

Adam Funk

Jul 14, 2006, 10:46:06 AM7/14/06
On 2006-07-14, David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> Er, it doesn't say Spot gets any of the cash. And I 'spect a stapler behind

> him is involved. So looks like it's still OUT OUT DAMNED SPOT! ...

IFYPFY.

--
Vielen Dank

TimC

Jul 14, 2006, 12:04:45 PM7/14/06
On 2006-07-14, Mark Edwards (aka Bruce)

> No cluons were harmed when Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [pawnshop sign]
>
>>+---------------------+
>>| * Cheques Cashed |
>>| * Cash 'til' Payday |
>>| * Cash on the Spot |
>>+---------------------+
>
> Hooray for Spot!

Hmmm, I'm not being able to resolve http://www.stuffonmyspot.com
today.

--
TimC
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull

James Kibo Parry

Jul 19, 2006, 3:09:04 AM7/19/06
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On my way to work I pass one of those dodgy "JEWELLER / PAWNBROKER /
> CHEQUES CASHED" shops, which also has this sign sticking out:
>
> +---------------------+
> | * Cheques Cashed |
> | * Cash 'til' Payday |
> | * Cash on the Spot |
> +---------------------+

I suppose "'til'" would be a legitimate way of abbr'ing "still",
"futile", "infantilism", "rectilinear", and "reptile" but none of
those words makes sense in the context of a pawn shop sign, unless
it's a very special pawn shop. Just how special is your pawn shop?

So here's my latest local wacky sign sighting:

A couple days ago, a well-known political group put up posters around
the corner from my building. The posters are apparently intended to
recruit people to make annoying campaign phone calls (since the next
Presidential election season has just started with the ceremonial
dropping of the Big Dig's ceiling.) The posters say:

HELP DEFEAT BUSH AND THE G.O.P.

Gosh. I sure hope they don't get exhausted from patting themselves
on the back too hard after Bush somehow doesn't get elected to a
third term.

(For those of you in countries that don't have exactly the same
flavor of weird democracy we do, the point is that unless there's
a major time/space warp, Bush can't run again, because Presidents
only get two terms. They put that in the Constitution after seeing
Chris Elliott's "F.D.R.: A One-Man Show".)

-- K.

I suppose the poster could
have meant they were worried
about his father running
for a second term, assuming
he's through beating up
Homer Simpson.

Adam Funk

Jul 19, 2006, 5:23:26 AM7/19/06
On 2006-07-19, James "Kibo" Parry <ki...@world.std.com> wrote:

> "rectilinear"

I've never even met 'er.

> (For those of you in countries that don't have exactly the same
> flavor of weird democracy we do, the point is that unless there's
> a major time/space warp, Bush can't run again, because Presidents
> only get two terms. They put that in the Constitution after seeing
> Chris Elliott's "F.D.R.: A One-Man Show".)

The Constitution may have been suspended by then.

--
Vielen Dank

Otto Bahn

Jul 19, 2006, 9:44:27 AM7/19/06
"Adam Funk" <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> "rectilinear"
>
> I've never even met 'er.

Not that we want to.

>> (For those of you in countries that don't have exactly the same
>> flavor of weird democracy we do, the point is that unless there's
>> a major time/space warp, Bush can't run again, because Presidents
>> only get two terms. They put that in the Constitution after seeing
>> Chris Elliott's "F.D.R.: A One-Man Show".)
>
> The Constitution may have been suspended by then.

Heh heh. He said "may have". Heh. Heh heh heh.

--oTTo--

Message has been deleted

Otto Bahn

Jul 19, 2006, 1:27:36 PM7/19/06
"Kevan Smith" <cut...@mouse-potato.com> wrote

>> A couple days ago, a well-known political group put up posters around
>> the corner from my building. The posters are apparently intended to
>> recruit people to make annoying campaign phone calls (since the next
>> Presidential election season has just started with the ceremonial
>> dropping of the Big Dig's ceiling.) The posters say:
>>
>> HELP DEFEAT BUSH AND THE G.O.P.
>>
>> Gosh. I sure hope they don't get exhausted from patting themselves
>> on the back too hard after Bush somehow doesn't get elected to a
>> third term.
>

> Are you sure it wasn't referring to some other campaign, like "Help
> defeat Bush and the GOP from starting a war with Iran."

Oh, don't be paranoid. Just because we have hundreds of
thousands of troops on either side of Iran doesn't mean
we want to put a Shah in power. Again.

> I get lots of
> spam from Democrat organizations urging me to "help defeat Bush" by
> calling Congress critters about various issues.

Do you get any spam about legislation to regulate spam?

--oTTo--

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jul 19, 2006, 2:40:18 PM7/19/06
Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-07-19, James "Kibo" Parry <ki...@world.std.com> wrote:
> > "rectilinear"
> I've never even met 'er.

Oh, is THAT what he was trying to do to Frau Merkel?

ŹR

Kevan Smith

Jul 19, 2006, 3:24:11 PM7/19/06
"Otto Bahn" <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote in

> Do you get any spam about legislation to regulate spam?

My spam filters catch it.

--
fnood fneep gnip gnop
http://greep.flood.nit

Otto Bahn

Jul 19, 2006, 5:19:06 PM7/19/06
"Kevan Smith" <cut...@mouse-potato.com> wrote

>> Do you get any spam about legislation to regulate spam?
>
> My spam filters catch it.

Don't forget to clean them every six months or so.

--oTTo--

Adam Funk

Jul 1, 2008, 3:13:48 PM7/1/08

I finally sorted out the photographic proof.

http://www.newsfroup.net/pawnbroker/

(I still haven't seen Spot, however.)

--
Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix.
I don't think that this is a coincidence. [anonymous]