'Ocean's Eleven' Faithfully Reflects Real Life

John Burrage

Aug 27, 2007, 12:04:46 AM8/27/07
Hi! My name's Frankie Jackson, and I'm a con-artist of sorts. After
hearing countless positive reviews for the movie 'Ocean's Eleven', I
finally got around to watching it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it
too; the acting was excellent, the script tight, the twist unexpected,
and most of all, it accurately reflected real life. Imagine then my
surprise when I was reading some reviews and found numerous
accusations of plot holes and continuity problems!

Well, let me tell you something. A couple of years ago I was pulling a
bank job which required the cops to carry out bags of flyers from the
vault, mistakenly believing them to be full of money, leaving us to
get on with the heist. Later, my long-time offsider 'Skinny' Larry
Johnson (so called because of his love of skinny ties) says to me,
shaking his bald head in amazement, "how the hell did those bags of
flyers get into the vault? None us brought em in". And do you know
what? I didn't know, and no one else knew either. I looked at Larry,
who was resplendent in his smart bow tie, and told him so. And the
funny thing is, it happened again on four more occasions.

Another time, we were pulling a daring daylight robbery - right on
midday, in fact - when suddenly I was hit in the eye with a boom mike.
"Where the hell did that come from?" I yelled, but I can only assume I
didn't see it because night had suddenly fallen. No one seemed to know
either, so we put it down to "one of those things".

But it wasn't all fun and games, like the time the cops nabbed my long-
time offsider, 'Leatherjacket' Larry Johnson, so called because he's
always wearing this old leather jacket. They had him cuffed and were
pushing down on his afro, trying to force him into the car. I comes up
and says "My name is Inspector so-and-so, and I am taking this man
away". As we walked away a bomb went off, distracting everyone - I
says to Larry, "'Italian' Larry, the explosion has made your Milan
double -breasted suit all dusty. But how did you plant the bomb with
your hands all cuffed like that?". But Larry couldn't explain, because
suddenly he couldn't speak English. On account of him being Chinese
for some reason.

So all I'm saying' is, as far as I'm concerned, 'Ocean's Eleven' was
nothing but gritty realism. And if some wise-asses say otherwise,
well, you just tell em that's how it really happens in the game, or my
name ain't "Fast" Jerome Thomas.

pete

Aug 27, 2007, 6:49:22 AM8/27/07
John Burrage wrote:

> Hi! My name's Frankie Jackson, and I'm a con-artist of sorts. After
> hearing countless positive reviews for the movie 'Ocean's Eleven', I
> finally got around to watching it last night.

That movie is 47 years old.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054135/

--
pete

John Burrage

Aug 27, 2007, 9:00:11 AM8/27/07

Ah; the 1960 original. No, I meant the one with the shithouse
continuity.

Nick Bensema

Sep 4, 2007, 6:25:22 PM9/4/07
In article <1188187486....@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

John Burrage <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi! My name's Frankie Jackson, and I'm a con-artist of sorts. After
>hearing countless positive reviews for the movie 'Ocean's Eleven', I
>finally got around to watching it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it
>too; the acting was excellent, the script tight, the twist unexpected,
>and most of all, it accurately reflected real life. Imagine then my
>surprise when I was reading some reviews and found numerous
>accusations of plot holes and continuity problems!

Next thing you'll tell me is that Ocean's Twelve and Thirteen blah blah
blah write the rest of the joke for me please.

The Ocean's n movies are heist porn. Apparently someone saw Dane Cook's
act where he said that every guy wants to be part of a heist, and thought
"gee, the rubber flailing man with all the Myspace friends is right!"
and started cranking these out.

Ocean's Eleven: really damn cool. I considered it the antidote to
whichever Star Wars prequel had disappointed me recently.
Ocean's Twelve: should never have happened.
Ocean's Thirteen: the key conflict was retarded, but had enough
Eddie Izzard and Super Dave to make up for it.

.....................................................http://www.io.com/~nickb

John Burrage

Sep 5, 2007, 9:01:25 AM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 6:25 am, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema) wrote:
> In article <1188187486.993374.43...@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> John Burrage <john.burr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi! My name's Frankie Jackson, and I'm a con-artist of sorts. After
> >hearing countless positive reviews for the movie 'Ocean's Eleven', I
> >finally got around to watching it last night.

<snippage>

> Ocean's Eleven: really damn cool. I considered it the antidote to
> whichever Star Wars prequel had disappointed me recently.
> Ocean's Twelve: should never have happened.
> Ocean's Thirteen: the key conflict was retarded, but had enough
> Eddie Izzard and Super Dave to make up for it.

11 was fine, 12 was not without merit (I liked it), and I haven't seen
13. But the soundtrack is excellent; best of the lot. Probably not
surprising that David Holmes would do a good soundtrack given that his
albums sound like soundtracks anyway.

So there.

John Burrage

Sep 5, 2007, 9:04:15 AM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 9:01 pm, John Burrage <john.burr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 11 was fine, 12 was not without merit (I liked it), and I haven't seen
> 13.

Quick clarification; that's fine as in "mmm, that is a FINE pair of
pants", not fine as in "how are you?" "Oh, fine, can't complain, but
I'm going to anyway."