Irony, sardony, and News of Alanis

1 view

Bruce Ediger

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.

2. Even fewer have a formal definition of sardony.

3. I heard a "muzak" version of Alanis Morrisette's "Ironic" as
I left work today. I left through the old lobby, which has
twin murals: one entitled "The Crucible of Science" and one
entitled "The Pillars of Knowledge".

4. I know a guy who plays in a local band. They opened for Alanis
Morissette on one of her early passes through Denver. They
overheard a snippet of Alanis' undying extemporaneous prose:

Alanis: "Ugh! This is the worst tea I have ever tasted!"
Roady: "Alanis, that's Miso soup."

Respectfully submitted,
Bruce Ediger (ret)

Elisabeth Higgins

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In article <50o0qv$i...@teal.csn.net>, bed...@csn.net says...

>1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YM "Lisa Pea."

Irony is something spoken to two audiences--one ignorant and one informed.
The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
sees three--the ignorant (overt, usually) one, the informed one, and the
knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.

There are four types:

Socratic. A teacher takes on the role of the ignorant audience to force his
students to examine their knowledge. You could argue that this adds new
meanings.

Dramatic. The protagonist in a play, usually, play the role of the ignorant
audience, while the audience plays the role of the informed audience.
Like when Oedipus vows to kill the king.

Irony of Fate. Like dramatic irony, but in real life.

Verbal Irony. Saying the opposite of what you mean.

You did this on purpose, Bruce. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE A FOOL OF ME OR
SOMETHING?!?!?!

>2. Even fewer have a formal definition of sardony.

You'll have to ask Tom Richardson's wife, but I think the word comes from
Sardonia. It's a pessimistic form of humor primarily intended to alleviate
the effects of adversity.

ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

>3. I heard a "muzak" version of Alanis Morrisette's "Ironic" as
> I left work today. I left through the old lobby, which has
> twin murals: one entitled "The Crucible of Science" and one
> entitled "The Pillars of Knowledge".

Sometimes, I used to get to work down in the basement of that building.
That is a cruel and beautiful building, you know.

HEY!!! YOU GO TO WORK!?!?!?!?!

Please reply to this BBS, as I do not have email capabilities.

YWD&YWN,
Lisa Pea!

--
"Sometimes, I think about how Don King once kicked a guy to death because
that guy owed him twenty bucks. I don't even think he did it for the money.

Quality Time with Lisa! http://www.tfs.net/~lhiggin

Stefan Kapusniak

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In message <lisareaD...@netcom.com>
lis...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Higgins) writes:

> ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
> ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

What about Laconic, then?

--
'You quoted me in your .sig just to make it so my grepping efforts will
cause me to read every single post you make.' -- Andrew S. 'G~rk' Damick

Crackpottier

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

On 5 Sep 1996, Bruce Ediger wrote:

> 1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.

Irony is when you say one thing, but mean something else -- as well.
That's as close as I can get to an ironic definition.

> 2. Even fewer have a formal definition of sardony.

That's because most people prefer Anchovies

> Respectfully submitted,
> Bruce Ediger (ret)

No, no. What the instructions mean by that is that you're
supposed to hit the "return key".

-G

---
AA> Alexander Abian: Equivalence of Mass and Time
AA> Albert Einstein: Equivalence of Mass and Energy
NB> now Mass and Energy.... could you be any crackpottier?
AA> Abian answers: I am not , but you could be a crackpottier yourself

Elisabeth Higgins

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

In article <199609061...@zetnet.co.uk>, stefan...@zetnet.co.uk
says...

>In message <lisareaD...@netcom.com>
> lis...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Higgins) writes:
>

>> ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
>> ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!
>
> What about Laconic, then?

Oh, man, you people are so demanding.

So, Laconia or whatever it was called was the capitol of Sparta. The
Sybarites sent them a message saying "If we capture your city, we will burn
it to the ground."

Sparta sent back a message saying "If."

Larry Suter

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Crackpottier <ga...@freenet.mb.ca> writes:
>On 5 Sep 1996, Bruce Ediger wrote:
>> 1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.
>
>Irony is when you say one thing, but mean something else -- as well.
>That's as close as I can get to an ironic definition.

Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

There is proof that there is some sense of humor at MTV
these days. The bit where the unwashed fellow in the taxi
starts imitating the Ironic video is just too funny.

There's no 'off' on the genius switch, baby.

--
La Yonderboy Mas Fina..!!

Stefan Kapusniak

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In message <50spn8$k...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>

su...@ix.netcom.com (Larry Suter ) writes:

> There's no 'off' on the genius switch, baby.

Problem is, for me at any rate, there's no 'on' either...

--
Kapusniak, Stefan M <----> YATTF : the short .sig for the short post

Lance Olkovick

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

lis...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Higgins) wrote:

>In article <50o0qv$i...@teal.csn.net>, bed...@csn.net says...

>>1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>YM "Lisa Pea."

>Irony is something spoken to two audiences--one ignorant and one informed.
>The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
>sees three--the ignorant (overt, usually) one, the informed one, and the
>knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.

>There are four types:

>Socratic. A teacher takes on the role of the ignorant audience to force his
>students to examine their knowledge. You could argue that this adds new
>meanings.

A discussion of irony really should begin with the Pre-Socratic forms
of discourse. Before the Irony Age, there was the Bronzy Age. Bronzy
consisted mainly of name-calling and ridicule. The era reached its
glorious peak when Anaxagoras, tired of the ridicule over his name,
called Thales, Heraclitus, and Xenophanes "a bunch of smelly butts,"
(a put down whose brilliance can only be fully appreciated in the
original Ionic Greek). Anaxagoras's remark anticipated our present
Toilet Humor Era.

>ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
>ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

Since lactone is "One of a class of cyclical esters formed by
dehydration of acids containing a hydroxyl and a carboxyl group," I
assume lactonic is "Of or pertaining to one of a class of cyclical
esters formed by dehydration of acids containing a hydroxyl and a
carboxyl group."

--
lance

Michele Tepper

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

Elisabeth Higgins <lis...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <50o0qv$i...@teal.csn.net>, bed...@csn.net says...
>>
>>1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>YM "Lisa Pea."

Right, and everyone who's studied rhetoric seriously and brushes their
hair.

I decided once that people who started by saying "Hardly anybody does x"
or "thinks y" are just people who don't want to say "I don't do x/think
y" because they think it'll sound TRUER if more people think it. But I
think Bruce is better than that and probably just doesn't hang with the
sort of people who say weird things like "catachresis," so now I've got
to rethink everything. Also, I bet Bruce brushes his hair. I was at a
party last night and we had the MTV Music Video Awards playing on tape,
but we were listening to Barry White instead and just heckling people's
images on the screen, and people were upset that Alanis had brushed her
hair for the occasion, because they couldn't shout "HEY, ALANIS! BRUSH
YOUR DAMN HAIR ALREADY!!!" We all need to get out a lot more often.

I told my sisters than nothing in that damn song was ironic, and they
argued with me line by line. They could both have Ph.Ds in Alanis
Studies when the Social Text weenies finally take over academia and remake
it according to their fiendish plans. I just hope it'll mean we all get
Andrew Ross's wardrobe budget.

>Irony is something spoken to two audiences--one ignorant and one informed.
>The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
>sees three--the ignorant (overt, usually) one, the informed one, and the
>knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.
>
>There are four types:

Oh, good, I get to tell the irony story again. Pull up a chair.

Three summers ago, a friend of mine was grading papers for a Shakespeare
course. We were all hanging out in what was then the cool cafe, before
it became the only cafe that still allowed smoking and became an
unbearably smoky and grimy hellhole, and she got a paper on dramatic irony
in _Measure for Measure_. Four page paper, of which only one and a half
pages addressed the play. How did the student manage this feat? Read on.

The student started by saying there were three different types of
dramatic irony and he was going to define them. I forget what the types
were; I'm sure Miz Higgins can fill in any gaps in my imperfect
rhetorical education. So, the first kind, he says "This can best be
illustrated by the _Scooby Doo_ cartoons." To say how, he says "Let us
imagine that Scooby and Shaggy are in a castle that's supposed to be
haunted" and then goes on to describe the Scooby-wigged-out-by-suit-of-armor
thing they used in every other episode. My favorite part was the way he
posed it as a hypothetical. This went on for half a page and won the
coveted departmental award for Best Use of Scooby-Doo in a Student Paper
for that term.

The second type was demonstrated by the Road Runner and Coyote, and the
episode that was meant to epitomize this type of irony was described in
loving detail. But, as we read over the paper, it was clear from his
example that the kid was misremembering one of the episodes where the
Coyote takes on *Bugs Bunny.* These are rare crossovers, but they do
exist, and to make such a citational error was simply inexcusable. We
all agreed that the student should be marked down accordingly. You have
to get up early and turn on the TV to sneak anything past the graduate
students in my department.

>You did this on purpose, Bruce. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE A FOOL OF ME OR
>SOMETHING?!?!?!

I think he just wanted to hear about my party.

--
Michele Tepper "...and so, chum, we see that the evil of the past
mte...@panix.com seeps through in to the present like salad dressing

Michael Straight

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

To all those perpetuating these liableous slanders about Alanis committing
sardony or other illegal sex acts I only have one thing to say:

"ALANIS ISNT GAY YORE GAY FAGIT!"

Thank you.

Andy Wing

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

Stefan Kapusniak <stefan...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>In message <lisareaD...@netcom.com>
> lis...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Higgins) writes:
>

>> ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
>> ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!
>
> What about Laconic, then?

Sister of the Britannic. Struck a coral reef in 1913.

--
Politics is not the art of persuasion, it's the science of selfishness.
"Speeding down the misinformation superhighway"

Doctorb Science

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

bed...@csn.net (Bruce Ediger) writes:

>1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.

The quality of being made of iron.

>2. Even fewer have a formal definition of sardony.

Those salty little fish in cans.

--
// A M I G A Doctorb Science
ox\\x//============================--- The "b" stands for "bargain"!

Doctorb Science

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

bed...@csn.net (Bruce Ediger) writes:

>2. Even fewer have a formal definition of sardony.

I don't have a formal definition of sardony, but I KNOW IT WHEN I SEE IT!

And it's NOT LEGAL IN THIS STATE, boyo!

Yours Truly,

Sherman Potter Stewart's Root Beer, Mrs.
Age 6

Doctorb Science

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

lis...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Higgins) writes:

>Irony is something spoken to two audiences--one ignorant and one informed.
>The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
>sees three--the ignorant (overt, usually) one, the informed one, and the
>knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.

What about the ill-timed occurance of an otherwise fortuitous event? For
example, finding ten thousand spoons might be nice, but not when your spoon
needs are nonexistent and your knife needs are pressing. On the other hand,
a traffic jam is not a favorable event, so whether or not you are already
late it is not ironic. Meeting the girl of your dreams and finding out that
she's five is just plain sick.

>ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
>ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

I don't know any apocryphal stories because I only have a KJV bible. WAAH!
And I'm supposed to know them because I'm Catholic and the test is in TWO
WEEKS!!! AAARGH!

Elisabeth Higgins

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

In article <517quu$p...@er6.rutgers.edu>, b...@eden.rutgers.edu says...

>What about the ill-timed occurance of an otherwise fortuitous event? For

^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
Remind me to talk to you about the meaning of the word 'fortuitous.'

I win.

Your butt, as they say, is mine.

>example, finding ten thousand spoons might be nice, but not when your spoon
>needs are nonexistent and your knife needs are pressing. On the other

Well, yes, I suppose that must "speak to your generation." If you're going
to argue for that song, though, might I suggest taking the "Socratic" route?

I'll still win, but I want to see you do it, anyway.

I also want to see YOUR BUTT. NOW.

>>ASK ME ABOUT LACONIC NOW!!!! CAUSE I KNOW THE KEWLEST APOCRYPHAL STORY
>>ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!1!!!
>
>I don't know any apocryphal stories because I only have a KJV bible. WAAH!
>And I'm supposed to know them because I'm Catholic and the test is in TWO
>WEEKS!!! AAARGH!

Catholic? Oh, OK, you can win this time. But it was clearly a gimme.

Ben Weiner

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

mte...@panix.com (Michele Tepper) writes:
:Elisabeth Higgins <lis...@netcom.com> wrote:

:I told my sisters than nothing in that damn song was ironic, and they

:argued with me line by line. They could both have Ph.Ds in Alanis
:Studies when the Social Text weenies finally take over academia

You silly troller.

Everybody knows ATLANTIS NEVER EXISTED!!!11!!

:>Irony is something spoken to two audiences--one ignorant and one informed.

:>The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
:>sees three--the ignorant (overt, usually) one, the informed one, and the
:>knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.

Don't forget the third audience: the STUDIO AUDIENCE! <laughter>

:The second type was demonstrated by the Road Runner and Coyote, and the

:episode that was meant to epitomize this type of irony was described in
:loving detail. But, as we read over the paper, it was clear from his
:example that the kid was misremembering one of the episodes where the
:Coyote takes on *Bugs Bunny.* These are rare crossovers, but they do
:exist, and to make such a citational error was simply inexcusable. We
:all agreed that the student should be marked down accordingly. You have
:to get up early and turn on the TV to sneak anything past the graduate
:students in my department.

If this student didn't get an A for the semester, there is
something seriously wrong with you people's priorities.

Michele Tepper

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Ben Weiner <bwe...@electron.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>mte...@panix.com (Michele Tepper) writes:
>:The second type was demonstrated by the Road Runner and Coyote, and the
>:episode that was meant to epitomize this type of irony was described in
>:loving detail. But, as we read over the paper, it was clear from his
>:example that the kid was misremembering one of the episodes where the
>:Coyote takes on *Bugs Bunny.* These are rare crossovers, but they do
>:exist, and to make such a citational error was simply inexcusable. We
>:all agreed that the student should be marked down accordingly. You have
>:to get up early and turn on the TV to sneak anything past the graduate
>:students in my department.
>
>If this student didn't get an A for the semester, there is
>something seriously wrong with you people's priorities.

Well, I didn't give the kid the final grade, and the grad student who did
has moved to Minneapolis, so I can't even ask her.

On the other hand, I once got a Road Runner paper (you people think these
things are *rare*, maybe?). It was a response paper. The student opened
with a description of himself on his couch, remote in one hand, the book
I'd assigned in the other. He's about to start reading. The Road Runner
is on the TV screen.

The paper went on for a page or so meditating on the existential dilemmas
faced by the coyote, and spent one well-considered paragraph discussing
the symbiotic relationship between Acme Products and the coyote, its
primary customer, as part of a larger discussion of Acme's possible
liability for the continued failure of their products. Then, at the last
possible moment when the student could pull it back from the brink and
make the paper relevant to the coursework, he wrote, "I guess the point
I am trying to make is that I did not do my English reading on time."
He apologized for this lapse, and the paper ended with the image of him
turning off the TV and turning back to the book. The last words of the
paper? "Beep beep!"

I gave it an A, but told him that if he did it again, I'd drop a two-ton
anvil on his head.

Michele "the final grade was B+, but I'm a pretty tough grader" Tepper

Matt McIrvin

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

In article <51ctut$9...@electron.rutgers.edu>, bwe...@electron.rutgers.edu
(Ben Weiner) wrote:

> Don't forget the third audience: the STUDIO AUDIENCE! <laughter>

MARion, WHAT am I gonna do with this BATHtub fulla POTATAsalad?

- Tom Bosley of "Charlie's Angels,"
SUPER Genius.

--
Matt McIrvin <http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/>

Jay C Jachimiak

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

mte...@panix.com (Michele Tepper) wrote:

>Elisabeth Higgins <lis...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>In article <50o0qv$i...@teal.csn.net>, bed...@csn.net says...
>>>

>>>1. Hardly anybody has a formal definition of irony.

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>YM "Lisa Pea."
>
>Right, and everyone who's studied rhetoric seriously and brushes their
>hair.

The thing is, in my experience, hardly anybody who's studied rhetoric
seriously *does* brush their hair.

>I decided once that people who started by saying "Hardly anybody does x"
>or "thinks y" are just people who don't want to say "I don't do x/think
>y" because they think it'll sound TRUER if more people think it.

Hardly anybody disagrees with you.

>I told my sisters than nothing in that damn song was ironic, and they
>argued with me line by line. They could both have Ph.Ds in Alanis

>Studies when the Social Text weenies finally take over academia and remake
>it according to their fiendish plans. I just hope it'll mean we all get
>Andrew Ross's wardrobe budget.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After the election I get Ross Perot's wardrobe. It won't fit, so I
still won't be wearing pants.

-Jay
jay...@panix.com
the "c" stands for "charisma"

joseph richard koleszar

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51numt$q...@panix2.panix.com>,
Michele Tepper <mte...@panix.com> wrote:

>Well, OK, I don't brush my hair.

Me neither. At least since June.

Ralph
--
Joseph Richard "Ralph" Koleszar | jkol...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)!

Michele Tepper

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Jay C Jachimiak <jay...@panix.com> wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>YM "Lisa Pea."
>>
>>Right, and everyone who's studied rhetoric seriously and brushes their
>>hair.
>
>The thing is, in my experience, hardly anybody who's studied rhetoric
>seriously *does* brush their hair.

You know, I resent this too. I'm CRANKY AS HELL TODAY!!!1

I will just point that the graduate students in my department *brush our
hair*, although we are not always as up-to-date with our dry cleaning as
one might wish.

Well, OK, I don't brush my hair. But I've never done any systematic
study of rhetoric, either. I wash my hair, dry it, slather about half a
bottle of mousse on, and run my hands through it. Then people come up to
me on the street and ask me where I got that beautiful wig. I feel like
this is the sort of effect worth giving up hair-brushing for.

--
Michele Tepper "You ALMOST got away with it, too, but for ONE
mte...@panix.com THING: EVIL isn't ISO 9000 certified!!!" - Lisa Higgins

Ian A. York

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51numt$q...@panix2.panix.com>,
Michele Tepper <mte...@panix.com> wrote:

>You know, I resent this too. I'm CRANKY AS HELL TODAY!!!1

The many moods of Michele Tepper:
1 Cranky
2 Grumpy
3 Pissed off
4 Cross
5 Sneezy
6 Really mad
7 Irate
8 Infuriated
9 Raging
10 Annoyed
11 Ticked
12 Angry
13 Hostile
14 Enraged
15 Furious
16 see #1
--
Ian York (iay...@panix.com) <http://www.panix.com/~iayork/>

Richard Crew

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

On 18 Sept, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
: In article <51numt$q...@panix2.panix.com>,

: Michele Tepper <mte...@panix.com> wrote:
: >
: >You know, I resent this too. I'm CRANKY AS HELL TODAY!!!1
:
: The many moods of Michele Tepper:
: 1 Cranky
: 2 Grumpy
: 3 Pissed off
: 4 Cross
: 5 Sneezy
: 6 Really mad
: 7 Irate
: 8 Infuriated
: 9 Raging
: 10 Annoyed
: 11 Ticked
: 12 Angry
: 13 Hostile
: 14 Enraged
: 15 Furious
: 16 see #1

I.e. the graduate program she's in is doing *just* what it's
supposed to.

--Rich

--

Indeed, I am convinced not only that what I say is wrong, but that
what will be said against it will be wrong as well.

Robert Musil

Michele Tepper

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51pvbk$4...@panix.com>, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <51poka$h...@nostromo.clas.ufl.edu>,

>Richard Crew <cr...@math.ufl.edu> wrote:
>>On 18 Sept, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
>> :
>> : The many moods of Michele Tepper:
>>
>> I.e. the graduate program she's in is doing *just* what it's
>> supposed to.
>
>She had a natural aptitude to begin with, though.

Yeah, that's why I've done so well here. Which reminds me; you left out
Vengeful, Resentful, Embittered, Paranoid, and Catty.

>And anyone who quotes from The Man Without Qualities is (a) sick, (b) a
>grad student ... but I repeat myself.
>
>HAH! Thus do I taunt Michele!

It'd be a more effective taunt if it was directed at someone in the sort
of department where you don't learn to recognize the great taunts of
American literature. I don't waste nose-breaks on second-hand material,
herpes-boy.

> "-but as he was a York, I am rather inclined to suppose him a
> very respectable Man." -Jane Austen, The History of England
>

>PS -- TAUNT, TAUNT, TAUNT

I have to ask myself: what would Jane say about this?

Michele "new Mekons song on the CD player, so I'm temporarily content" Tepper

--

"The many moods of Michele Tepper: 1 Cranky; 2 Grumpy; 3 Pissed off; 4 Cross;
5 Sneezy; 6 Really mad; 7 Irate; 8 Infuriated; 9 Raging; 10 Annoyed; 11 Ticked;

12 Angry; 13 Hostile; 14 Enraged; 15 Furious; 16 see #1" -- Ian York

Ian A. York

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51poka$h...@nostromo.clas.ufl.edu>,
Richard Crew <cr...@math.ufl.edu> wrote:
>On 18 Sept, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
> :
> : The many moods of Michele Tepper:
>
> I.e. the graduate program she's in is doing *just* what it's
> supposed to.

She had a natural aptitude to begin with, though.

> Indeed, I am convinced not only that what I say is wrong, but that

> what will be said against it will be wrong as well.
>
> Robert Musil

And anyone who quotes from The Man Without Qualities is (a) sick, (b) a

grad student ... but I repeat myself.

HAH! Thus do I taunt Michele!

Ian

Richard Crew

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

On 18 Sep 1996, Michele Tepper <mte...@panix.com> wrote:
: In article <51pvbk$4...@panix.com>, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
:
: >And anyone who quotes from The Man Without Qualities is (a) sick, (b) a

: >grad student ... but I repeat myself.
: >
: >HAH! Thus do I taunt Michele!
:
: It'd be a more effective taunt if it was directed at someone in the sort

: of department where you don't learn to recognize the great taunts of
: American literature. I don't waste nose-breaks on second-hand material,
: herpes-boy.
:

It'd be even better if the quote were correctly identified (it's
actually from "Helpless Europe").

--Rich "what, me German?"

Lee S. Bumgarner

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

ri...@archytas.duckpond (Richard Crew) wrote:

>On 18 Sept, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
> : In article <51numt$q...@panix2.panix.com>,
> : Michele Tepper <mte...@panix.com> wrote:
> : >
> : >You know, I resent this too. I'm CRANKY AS HELL TODAY!!!1
> :

> : The many moods of Michele Tepper:

> : 1 Cranky

Hmm. Tepper, Topper, Toffer, Toffeler, Price Phister!

I got a third wave for you, IYKWIM,AIYD

> : 2 Grumpy

> : 3 Pissed off
> : 4 Cross
> : 5 Sneezy
> : 6 Really mad

Have a day.

-l

lee s. bumgarner -
Just when you thought it was safe to turn on your computer..

Ian A. York

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <51qbb8$l...@nostromo.clas.ufl.edu>,

Richard Crew <cr...@math.ufl.edu> wrote:
> : In article <51pvbk$4...@panix.com>, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
> :
> : >And anyone who quotes from The Man Without Qualities is (a) sick, (b) a
>
> It'd be even better if the quote were correctly identified (it's
> actually from "Helpless Europe").

Look, Musil-boy, I got two-thirds of the way through Man Without Qualities
before I realized he was still on the BLEEDING INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH and
if I was reading it in the original latin^H^H^H^H^HGerman it was still be
ONE WORD (with a hyphen at the end of the first book), and now you want me
to read MORE MUSIL?

I don't think so, pal. So don't you be getting all Musilaginous on my
ass, you hear?

Ian

Michele Tepper

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

In article <51rm6o$2...@panix.com>, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
>Look, Musil-boy, I got two-thirds of the way through Man Without Qualities
>before I realized he was still on the BLEEDING INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH and
>if I was reading it in the original latin^H^H^H^H^HGerman it was still be
>ONE WORD (with a hyphen at the end of the first book), and now you want me
>to read MORE MUSIL?
>
>I don't think so, pal. So don't you be getting all Musilaginous on my
>ass, you hear?

You know, I remember Ian as he was when he first got here: shy, easily
startled, afraid of bright lights and sudden motion, Canadian.

My God, what have we done?

E Teflon Piano

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

On 18 Sep 1996, Michele Tepper wrote:

> In article <51pvbk$4...@panix.com>, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <51poka$h...@nostromo.clas.ufl.edu>,
> >Richard Crew <cr...@math.ufl.edu> wrote:

> >>On 18 Sept, Ian A. York <iay...@panix.com> wrote:
> >> :
> >> : The many moods of Michele Tepper:
> >>

> >> I.e. the graduate program she's in is doing *just* what it's
> >> supposed to.
> >
> >She had a natural aptitude to begin with, though.
>

> Yeah, that's why I've done so well here. Which reminds me; you left out
> Vengeful, Resentful, Embittered, Paranoid, and Catty.

Which reminds us to ask: Why is it the people who obviously are in a
deep struggle with the sin of gluttony always the ones who make such a
big deal of those struggling with lust? It's not as if the sins are in
any particular order. They're all really bad and you shouldn't do them,
unless you have an indulgence from The Institute.

--E "Sloth, Envy, Pride, Prejudice, Len Bias and Crack" Teflon Piano

--
E Teflon Piano is a fellow at the Institute of Misapplied Psychometry and
founder of the Internet 'Lectronic Legal Society[dibs]. Teflon is DuPont

Stefan Kapusniak

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

In message <Pine.PMDF.3.91.960920...@UBmail.ubalt.edu>

E Teflon Piano <rgrif...@UBmail.ubalt.edu> writes:

> Which reminds us to ask: Why is it the people who obviously are in a
> deep struggle with the sin of gluttony always the ones who make such a
> big deal of those struggling with lust? It's not as if the sins are in
> any particular order. They're all really bad and you shouldn't do them,
> unless you have an indulgence from The Institute.

How much is an indulgence these days? They make an ideal gift for
a loved one, you know...

Crackpottier

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

On 20 Sep 1996, Michele Tepper wrote:

> You know, I remember Ian as he was when he first got here: shy, easily
> startled, afraid of bright lights and sudden motion, Canadian.

> My God, what have we done?

It was probably that puck joke that did it.

-G

---
AA> Alexander Abian: Equivalence of Mass and Time
AA> Albert Einstein: Equivalence of Mass and Energy
NB> now Mass and Energy.... could you be any crackpottier?
AA> Abian answers: I am not , but you could be a crackpottier yourself

Michael Straight

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <Pine.PMDF.3.91.960920...@UBmail.ubalt.edu>,

E Teflon Piano <rgrif...@UBmail.ubalt.edu> wrote:
> Which reminds us to ask: Why is it the people who obviously are in a
>deep struggle with the sin of gluttony always the ones who make such a
>big deal of those struggling with lust?

Maybe it's because they're essentially the same sin?

>It's not as if the sins are in any particular order.

Most kids I've known are into Gluttony long before they're ready for Lust.

>They're all really bad and you shouldn't do them,
>unless you have an indulgence from The Institute.

But Jesus, the price of those things makes ETP look like he's getting
minimum wage. They'll cost ya an arm and a leg. And an arm and a leg.

Michael Straight certainly can't afford it.
FLEOEVDETYHOEUPROEONREWMEILECSOFMOERSGTIRVAENRGEEARDSTVHIESBIITBTLHEEPSRIACYK
Ethical Mirth Gas/"I'm chaste alright."/Magic Hitler Hats/"Hath grace limits?"
"Irate Clam Thighs!"/Chili Hamster Tag/The Gilt Charisma/"I gather this calm."