"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

Skip to the first unread message

Adam Funk

25 Jul 2006, 06:44:4025/07/2006
"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks

Darla Vladschyk

25 Jul 2006, 08:55:4825/07/2006
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Otto Bahn

25 Jul 2006, 10:59:3625/07/2006
"Adam Funk" <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote

> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
> cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
> It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?
>
> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
> whiskey" be appropriate?

Yes.

--oTTo--

This'll be the day that I die

Adam Funk

25 Jul 2006, 11:01:5625/07/2006
On 2006-07-25, Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>>cocktail:
>>
>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>> shaken up with cracked ice.
>>
>>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?
>
> Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

I thought it was a long shot anyway --- the book was written in the
1950s and the characters who mix it are Canadians living begrudgingly
in London with a fridge and other household equipment shipped over
because the UKian stuff isn't good enough.

Is Canadian whiskey generally rye-based?

Chris McGonnell

25 Jul 2006, 12:32:2625/07/2006
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

>I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
>labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
>whiskey" be appropriate?

As long as you're putting maple syrup in it, yes.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Adam Funk

25 Jul 2006, 15:17:2725/07/2006
On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>
>>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>>cocktail:
>>
>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>> shaken up with cracked ice.
>>
>>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?
>
> I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
> throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

--
All your Basement are Dank to us!!!

Dave Brown

26 Jul 2006, 06:23:5826/07/2006
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> writes:

> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
> cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
> It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I ain't never heard of no such thing, which is odd because I *am*
a Canuckistanian who enjoys the odd tipple every now and then.

> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
> "Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

--Dave
--
"But you've got to hand it to IBM, they know how to design
hardware. The servers all had handles to pick them up and throw

Adam Funk

26 Jul 2006, 10:24:0426/07/2006
On 2006-07-26, Dave Brown <dagb...@lart.ca> wrote:

>> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
>> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
>> "Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?
>
> Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
> 'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
> thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
> Duck of whiskeys.

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? (I haven't tried one in a long
time.)

Chris McGonnell

26 Jul 2006, 12:47:2026/07/2006
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

>I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
>all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
Christmas, which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
last Christmas.

delc...@mail.ab.edu

26 Jul 2006, 14:17:5526/07/2006

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Dave Brown <dagb...@lart.ca> wrote:
>
> >> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
> >> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
> >> "Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?
> >
> > Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
> > 'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
> > thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
> > Duck of whiskeys.
>
> By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
> Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...

No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.

My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
its origin or content.

J. Del Col

Adam Funk

27 Jul 2006, 05:33:3527/07/2006

>> By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
>> Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...
>
> No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.
>
> My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
> its origin or content.

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.
(G.P.Taylor)

Francis A. Miniter

27 Jul 2006, 10:35:3427/07/2006
Adam Funk wrote:

>On 2006-07-26, delc...@mail.ab.edu <delc...@mail.ab.edu> wrote:
>

>>>By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
>>>Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...
>>>

>>No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.
>>
>>My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
>>its origin or content.
>>

>That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
>Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
>"rye".

Now I am wondering about that line from "American Pie":

So bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die, this'll be the day that I die.

Whisk(e)y _and_ rye?

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Francis A. Miniter

Otto Bahn

27 Jul 2006, 10:45:1627/07/2006
"Francis A. Miniter" <min...@attglobal.net> wrote

>>That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
>>Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
>>"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

> By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
> tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
> the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

Francis A. Miniter

27 Jul 2006, 11:47:0427/07/2006
Otto Bahn wrote:

:-)
You had me going there for a minute.

Francis A. Miniter

Kevin S. Wilson

27 Jul 2006, 11:54:2527/07/2006

Me, too. Not many people know that Tom Cruise is Canadian. Everyone
just assumes he's from the US.

--
"Danked," the past participle of "dank", is used to refer to someone
who replies to his own post on an online forum posing as another person

Otto Bahn

27 Jul 2006, 11:59:1627/07/2006
"Francis A. Miniter" <min...@attglobal.net> wrote

> :-) You had me going there for a minute.

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

--oTTo--

Chris McGonnell

27 Jul 2006, 12:16:4827/07/2006

Is that what "Comin' Through the Rye" really symbolizes?

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.
"My dog ate my gratitude journal." -- Paula

Adam Funk

29 Jul 2006, 16:44:1529/07/2006
On 2006-07-27, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:

>>It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>>rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>>Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>>rye.
>

> Is that what "The Catcher in the Rye" really symbolizes?

IFYPFY.

--
Vielen Dank

Adam Funk

29 Jul 2006, 16:49:5929/07/2006
On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote:

> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
> rye.

Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

Adam Funk

29 Jul 2006, 17:03:3529/07/2006
On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:

> There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
> Christmas,

Ghost of Christmas past?

> which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
> heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
> last Christmas.

Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
to Live like a Lord".

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.

[G.P. Taylor]

TimC

29 Jul 2006, 23:33:2029/07/2006
On 2006-07-29, Adam Funk (aka Bruce)

> On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote:
>
>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>> rye.
>
> Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

And teh good stuff has a few litres of cough medicine added.

--
TimC
He was the best of Tims, he was the worst of Tims.

TeaLady (Mari C.)

29 Jul 2006, 23:41:4429/07/2006
TimC <tcon...@no.spam.accepted.here-astro.swin.edu.au> wrote
in
du.au:

> On 2006-07-29, Adam Funk (aka Bruce)
>> On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn
>> <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least
>>> 51% rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at
>>> all. The Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is
>>> generally all rye.
>>
>> Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.
>
> And teh good stuff has a few litres of cough medicine
> added.

Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
in small doses. Blended can be good, but I'm not much of a
scotch drinkler to start with, prefering booze I can dump into
a fruity or sour drink mix of some sort. Unless I'm doing
shots. Then I prefer vodka. I don't like cough medicine at
all, unless it has enough good drugs in it that I don't care
what it tastes like after the 1st does.

--
TeaLady (mari)

"The principle of Race is meant to embody and express the
utter negation of human freedom, the denial of equal rights, a
challenge in the face of mankind." A. Kolnai
Avast ye scurvy dogs ! Thar be no disease in this message.

Adam Funk

30 Jul 2006, 08:37:1530/07/2006
On 2006-07-27, Francis A. Miniter <min...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
> producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
> Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Kingsley Amis in "On Drink" specifies "bourbon whiskey" in his whiskey
collins recipe, with the note:

For once, you can use rye or Irish whiskey or Scotch whisky* if you
feel like it.

and the footnote:

* Fact for the factually-minded: only Scotch may be legally be spelt
without the 'e'.

Incidentally, his note for the Old-Fashioned reads:

You really have to use bourbon. The Rye Old-Fashioned is not too
bad; the Irish version just tolerable; the Scotch one not worth
while.

--
Vielen Dank

Otto Bahn

30 Jul 2006, 19:17:1430/07/2006
"Adam Funk" <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>> rye.
>
> Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

I meant Scottish stuff.

--oTTo--

Adam Funk

31 Jul 2006, 06:03:0131/07/2006
On 2006-07-30, Otto Bahn <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote:

> I meant Scottish stuff.

Oh, kilt fabric. Yes, that's made from 60% rye, 5% flax, 35% wool.

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.

[G.P. Taylor]

Chris McGonnell

31 Jul 2006, 13:15:3731/07/2006
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:03:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

>On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:
>
>> There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
>> Christmas,
>
>Ghost of Christmas past?

Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

>> which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
>> heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
>> last Christmas.
>
>Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
>drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
>to Live like a Lord".

No, mystery or ghost stories set during Christmas, which is some kind
of tradition. Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" is
one. Some of Davies' stories were printed in Ellery Queen's Mystery
Magazine -- December issue, of course.

I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Otto Bahn

31 Jul 2006, 13:53:5431/07/2006
"Chris McGonnell" <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote

> I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Law And Order morphed into Law And Sex Crimes which morphed
into CSI which morphed into CSI-[Insert City] which morphed
into Reno-911...

Every generation has its cop show, and every generation has
its CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU?! If it weren't for Nickelodeon,
you might be the only who got that reference.

Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.

--oTTo--

Adam Funk

31 Jul 2006, 14:11:0631/07/2006
On 2006-07-31, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:

> Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
> than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

Just don't let Dan Brown hear about that scheme. Never mind, it's too
late.

> I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Without doing any "research" (i.e. googling) I can think of a number
of fairly recent UKian murder drama series: "Foyle's War", "Midsomer
Murders", "A Touch of Frost", "Jonathan Creek" (not always murder).

--
Vielen Dank

Mark Edwards

31 Jul 2006, 15:50:3631/07/2006
[snips]

No cluons were harmed when "Otto Bahn" <Mark_As...@Markple.com>
wrote:

>Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.

Especially after Angela Lansbury had the sex-change operation.

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Adam Funk

1 Aug 2006, 05:14:0201/08/2006
On 2006-07-30, TeaLady (Mari C.) <spres...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
> in small doses.

Hey, so do I! And in large doses sometimes.

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks

and tells how the Lorax was lifted away. [Dr. Seuss]

Kevin S. Wilson

1 Aug 2006, 10:59:4001/08/2006
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:50:36 -0000, Mark Edwards
<Mark-E...@comcast.net> wrote:

>[snips]
>
>No cluons were harmed when "Otto Bahn" <Mark_As...@Markple.com>
>wrote:
>>Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.
>
>Especially after Angela Lansbury had the sex-change operation.

She did? Which one did she choose?

Chris McGonnell

1 Aug 2006, 14:00:1801/08/2006
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:50:36 -0000, Mark Edwards wrote:

>[snips]
>
>No cluons were harmed when "Otto Bahn" <Mark_As...@Markple.com>
>wrote:
>>Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.
>
>Especially after Angela Lansbury had the sex-change operation.

And called her.himself Jerry Orbach.

Dan Krueger

1 Aug 2006, 20:29:4901/08/2006
Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:50:36 -0000, Mark Edwards
> <Mark-E...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>[snips]
>>
>>No cluons were harmed when "Otto Bahn" <Mark_As...@Markple.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.
>>
>>Especially after Angela Lansbury had the sex-change operation.
>>

> She did? Which one did she choose?

Hitting the bong with Benny when you wrote that one, pro?

Mark Edwards

1 Aug 2006, 21:52:0601/08/2006

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> She did? Which one did she choose?

I believe she chose one of each.

Matthew L. Martin

2 Aug 2006, 07:18:1202/08/2006
Mark Edwards wrote:

> [snips]
>
> No cluons were harmed when "Otto Bahn" <Mark_As...@Markple.com>

> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>>>She did? Which one did she choose?
>

> I believe she chose one of each.

Ah, a no-op, then.

Matthew

--
You can bet that a week after Daguerre took the first photograph,
vendors were selling feelthy pictures on the streets of Paris.

Thomas A. Horsley on alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Adam Funk

7 Aug 2006, 05:40:3707/08/2006
On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn <oTTopant...@Blew.Devels.com> wrote:

> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
> rye.

According to McGee _On Food and Cooking_ (second edition), in the
section "American and Canadian Whiskeys":

North American whiskeys are produced mainly from the New World's
indigenous grain, maize.

[...stuff about bourbon, which is made mainly from maize...]

Canadian whiskeys are among the mildest and most delicate of the
spirits made from grains. They are a blend of a light-flavored
column-distilled grain whiskey with small amounts of strongers
whiskeys. They can also include wines, rum, and brandy, up to 9% of
the blend. They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.

Comments?

--
When Toad found himself immured in a dank and noisome dungeon, ... he
flung himself at full length on the floor, and shed bitter tears, and

Marc Goodman

7 Aug 2006, 05:47:2307/08/2006
Adam Funk wrote:
> They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>
> Comments?

Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for, and
why Dr. Pepper only comes in cans and bottles.

Otto Bahn

7 Aug 2006, 09:24:5707/08/2006
"Adam Funk" <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>> rye.
>
> According to McGee _On Food and Cooking_ (second edition), in the
> section "American and Canadian Whiskeys":
>
> North American whiskeys are produced mainly from the New World's
> indigenous grain, maize.
>
> [...stuff about bourbon, which is made mainly from maize...]
>
> Canadian whiskeys are among the mildest and most delicate of the
> spirits made from grains. They are a blend of a light-flavored
> column-distilled grain whiskey with small amounts of strongers
> whiskeys. They can also include wines, rum, and brandy, up to 9% of
> the blend. They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>
> Comments?

Wikipedia can NOT be wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Well, it can be wrong, but it is self-correcting. Usually.

--oTTo--

David Loftus

7 Aug 2006, 11:53:3807/08/2006

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell <sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:
>
> > There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
> > Christmas,
>
> Ghost of Christmas past?
>
> > which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
> > heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
> > last Christmas.
>
> Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
> drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
> to Live like a Lord".

Not . . . "How to Die Like the Lord" . . . ?

David Loftus

David Loftus

7 Aug 2006, 11:57:1207/08/2006

TeaLady (Mari C.) wrote:

> Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
> in small doses. Blended can be good, but I'm not much of a
> scotch drinkler

Sort of like being a tippler, yes?

Kevin S. Wilson

7 Aug 2006, 12:01:2507/08/2006
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 05:47:23 -0400, Marc Goodman
<marc.g...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Adam Funk wrote:
>> They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for,

For storing oak, moron. Like, duh!

Adam Funk

28 May 2008, 16:23:4228/05/2008
Adam Funk wrote [a while back, I admit]:

> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
> cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.

I finally remembered this when I spotted some Canadian whiskey in the
supermarket. There were two choices:

* Old Redwood Canadian Spirit --- this looked a bit like some of the
dodgy imitation bourbon products I've occasionally seen in foreign
[i.e., to the US] parts; and

* Canadian Club.

The text doesn't fully specify the ratios (just x:x:2y), so my initial
experiment was with x=y: one jigger of lemon juice, one of maple
syrup, and two of Canadian Club, shaken vigorously with non-cracked
ice (because I don't have a fancy ice crusher and didn't feel like
hammering it).

Not bad, but probably not to everyone's taste. I still can't decide
whether Davies was winding his readers up. I'll try a ratio of 1:1:4
later this week and report back.

--
"It is the role of librarians to keep government running in difficult
times," replied Dramoren. "Librarians are the last line of defence

Adam Funk

5 Jun 2008, 17:17:3305/06/2008
On 2008-05-28, Adam Funk wrote:

>> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>> cocktail:
>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>> shaken up with cracked ice.

> The text doesn't fully specify the ratios (just x:x:2y), so my initial
> experiment was with x=y: one jigger of lemon juice, one of maple
> syrup, and two of Canadian Club, shaken vigorously with non-cracked
> ice (because I don't have a fancy ice crusher and didn't feel like
> hammering it).
>
> Not bad, but probably not to everyone's taste. I still can't decide
> whether Davies was winding his readers up. I'll try a ratio of 1:1:4
> later this week and report back.

The 1:1:4 was still so-so. I think RD was trolling.

But I'm working on an interesting variation of Amis's Old-Fashioned
recipe (for which he says "You really have to use bourbon. The Rye

Old-Fashioned is not too bad; the Irish version just tolerable; the

Scotch one not worth while."). (Elsewhere in _On drink_ he recommends
preparing sugar syrup in advance for this and other cocktails, so I
think maple syrup is in order here.)

dashes of Angostura
squeezins of half a clementine/satsuma
maraschino/glacé cherry
2 or 3 tsp maple syrup
"big slug" of Canadian Club
"stir furiously"
3 ice cubes

I've been recently advised that Amis wrote two further books on the
subject, which are now back in print as a compendium!

--
I spend almost as time figuring out what's wrong with my computer as
I do actually using it. Networked software, especially, requires