new word nomination

James Kibo Parry

May 13, 1993, 12:58:44 AM5/13/93
In article <obrienC6...@netcom.com> obr...@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) writes:
> In article <119...@bu.edu> ebu...@buphy.bu.edu (skeeter) writes:
> >
> >ObUL: some people grep the newsfeed for their names, and post silly
> > followups.
>
> Let's see, what form should that take? "kiboing"?

Wasn't that one of Adam West's sound effects?

ZAP! BLAMMO! ZOWIE! KI-BOING!!!!

-- K.

ZZWAPP!!!

No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB

May 13, 1993, 2:59:05 AM5/13/93

There you go, skeeter, proof.

Of course, he chose to omit one part of my post:
bob> since it certainly is easy to
bob>prove it true.

T. some people grep the newsfeed for their names, and post silly followups.

Bob "Q.E.D." O'Bob

lrud...@vax.clarku.edu

May 13, 1993, 10:17:51 AM5/13/93
In a previous article, obr...@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) wrote:
> Bob "Q.E.D." O'Bob

_You're_ the author of the Qlingon/English Dictionary?

Lee "or is that Quebecois?" Rudolph

Stewart Tame

May 13, 1993, 10:27:21 PM5/13/93

Yeesh . . . it appears as if Kibo himself had a similar response to the
word "kiboing." I find it extremely alarming that our thought processes
(such as they may be) are so closely related.

-- Stewart "Time for a new brain" Tame

I understand it's obligatory to mention Kibo somewhere in one's postings.
Email: st...@emunix.emich.edu
Disclaimer: Not only do my opinions represent those of Eastern Michigan
University, but also those of Dan Quayle, Richard Nixon, Frank Zappa,
Pee-wee Herman, Bart Simpson, Tipper Gore, Murphy Brown, Maggie Thatcher,
and the Easter Bunny.

Andrew Bulhak

May 14, 1993, 11:31:27 AM5/14/93
In article <obrienC6...@netcom.com> obr...@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) writes:
> In article <119...@bu.edu> ebu...@buphy.bu.edu (skeeter) writes:
> >
> >ObUL: some people grep the newsfeed for their names, and post silly
> > followups.
>
> Let's see, what form should that take? "kiboing"?

I think that it should be "Kibozing"; it sounds better and also suggests that
it is a somewhat bozotic activity, and that the people who do it are often
bozos. Or kibozos, to be precise.

-- Andrew "Look out for PROOF$ OF A LEMUR KON$PIRA$Y soon" Bulhak

| Andrew Bulhak | |
| a...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au | "Barney's not only my friend, he's my enema" |
| Monash Uni, Clayton, | (Kibo) |
| Victoria, Australia | |

YuNoHoo

May 15, 1993, 2:13:43 PM5/15/93
In article <C6y8H...@world.std.com>, ki...@world.std.com (James "Kibo" Parry) writes:

|> > Let's see, what form should that take? "kiboing"?
|>
|> Wasn't that one of Adam West's sound effects?

Probably, probably... Anyway, before you nominate any more new words
I'd like to plug yet another dictionary that should be consulted before
you decide that a new word is needed:

Douglas Adams & John Lloyd:
"The Deeper Meaning of Liff:
a dictionary of things that there
aren't any words for yet"
Pan Books, 1990.

Some words that would benefit the AFU readership...

Aigburth (n) - Any piece of readily identifiable anatomy
found amongst cooked meat.
Anantnag (vb) - (Eskimo term) To bang your thumbs
between the oars whan rowing.
Cafu (n) - The frustration of not being able
remember what an acronym stands for.
Milwaukee (n) - The melodious whistling, chanting and
humming tone of the milwaukee can be heard
whenever a public lavatory is entered. It
is the way the occupants of the cubicles
have of telling you there's no lock on
their door and you can't come in.
Pleven (n) - One more, or one less, than the number
required.
Rhymney (n) - That part of a song lyric which you suddenly
discover you've been mishearing for years.
Scamblesby (n) - A small dog which resembles a throw-rug and
appears to be dead.
Wyoming (vb) - Moving in hurriied desperation from one
cubicle to anothet in a public lavatory
trying to to find one which has a lock on
the door, a seat on the bowl and no brown
streaks on the seat.

OK, 'nuff quoted. Run out and buy the book.

---
YuNoHoo "nope, Ohio wasn't in the dictionary"

Geoffrey Spear

May 15, 1993, 9:06:09 PM5/15/93
Excerpts from netnews.alt.religion.kibology: 15-May-93 Re: new word
nomination YuN...@hal.nta.no (1982)

> [obligatory Kibo excerpt deleted...]
> Probably, probably... Anyway, before you nominate any more new wordsI'd

> like to plug yet another dictionary that should be consulted before you
> decide that a new word is needed:

> Douglas Adams & John Lloyd:
> "The Deeper Meaning of Liff:
> a dictionary of things that there
> aren't any words for yet"
> Pan Books, 1990.

Anyone know if "The Meaning of Liff" and "The Deeper Meaning of Liff"
are available in the US?
This .sig is $hareware. If you use it for more than a
month, send me all of your money, then see a
psychologist. Or kill me.

Michal Jankowski

May 16, 1993, 6:32:15 AM5/16/93

Geoffrey> Anyone know if "The Meaning of Liff" and "The Deeper Meaning of Liff"
Geoffrey> are available in the US?

They have been translated into American English, I think. But I don't
know any details.

Michal