The man Jehovah chose to start it all:

errol greene

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

1874 ".. this measurement [of a length of an interior passageway discovered
inside the Pyramids - it has no reference in Scripture] is 3416 inches,
symbolizing 3416 years .. This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the
beginning of the period of trouble" {TKIC 1897 ed 342} [In ZWT Nov 1 1904
326, he further justified the "3416 inches" by writing "We cannot therefore
see how any longer measure for the passage could be possible." It is strange
then that TKIC 1916 ed was changed to read: "We find it to be 3457 inches,
symbolizing 3457 years .. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914
will be the beginning of the time of trouble .." It should be noted that
C.T.Russell, the founder of the Watchtower Bible and tract Society, was a
pyramidologist, a spiritist, a Knights Templar (Free)Mason (of York Rite,
Allegheny Pa.), and believed in healing-handkerchiefs, phrenology, the
Winged-Sun-Disk, Enochian Magical planes and many other strange things, a
few of which are illustrated by quotations later in this text. There is
space for less than 1% of what could have been included! The symbolisation
of years as inches is a complete nonsense, as the ancient Egyptians never
used the inch as a measuring unit!]

Hmmm.... HE was the best man available for the job?

Reslight

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
"errol greene" <er...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> 1874 ".. this measurement [of a length of an interior passageway
discovered
> inside the Pyramids - it has no reference in Scripture] is 3416 inches,
> symbolizing 3416 years .. This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the
> beginning of the period of trouble" {TKIC 1897 ed 342} [In ZWT Nov 1 1904
> 326, he further justified the "3416 inches" by writing "We cannot
therefore
> see how any longer measure for the passage could be possible." It is
strange
> then that TKIC 1916 ed was changed to read: "We find it to be 3457 inches,
> symbolizing 3457 years .. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of
1914
> will be the beginning of the time of trouble .."

Comparing the two "edition"s of Volume 3 as done in the above
statements presents a false impression: that Russell changed the inches
referred to for some vague, but ungiven, reason to accommodate some
supposed false expectation concerning 1874? 1914? or whatever.

The above change was actually made in *1909* [six years before Oct.,
1914], in the ZWT of September 15, 1909:

----
Page 342, lines 17, 18, 3416 inches, changed to, 3457
inches to agree with later accurate measurement, would
seem to mark 1915. The former figures were "paper
measure" from Piazzi Smith's illustration supposed to
have been drawn to a scale, but found inaccurate.
----
R4477 : page 283

http://www.geocities.com/~reslight/

> It should be noted that
> C.T.Russell, the founder of the Watchtower Bible and tract Society, was a
> pyramidologist,

So? Nothing wrong with that, although the word "pyramidologist" was
evidently coined after Russell's death.

> a spiritist

Proof?

> a Knights Templar (Free)Mason (of York Rite,
> Allegheny Pa.)

Another false accusation. Proof?

> and believed in healing-handkerchiefs

I suppose this is the proof?

===========
The New Testament
deals more with the experiences of the Apostle chosen
of the Lord to take the place of Judas than with all the others
put together, and begins with the time of his acceptance
of Christ on the way to Damascus. Looking through his
F653
varied experiences we perceive that in exercising the gift of
miracles, then with the Church, he used it in many cases
upon those coming into the Truth. But so far as the record
shows, never once was this healing power used in his own
relief, nor in the relief of any of those who are set before us
as the saints, the fully consecrated. Nor was this because
the saints of that time were free from disease: on the contrary,
we know that Timothy had what we would now
designate chronic dyspepsia, or indigestion, and Epaphroditus
was not hindered from being sick, yea, "nigh unto
death," not because of sin, but, as the Apostle explains,
"because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death,"
hazarding his life. (Phil. 2:25-30) We know not what special
foods or medicines the Lord was pleased to bless in the
latter case; but in respect to the former one the Apostle
neither prayed nor sent a handkerchief or napkin to cure
the ailment, but wrote to Timothy, saying, "Use a little
wine for thy stomach's sake, and thine often infirmities."
(1 Tim. 5:23) The wine was recommended, not as a beverage
nor as an intoxicant, but purely as a medicine. The
point specially to be noticed is, that divine power, so far
as we are informed, was neither invoked nor exercised on
behalf of either of these two consecrated brethren. They
bore their infirmities and afflictions and got blessings out
of them, using meanwhile the most suitable foods and remedies
of which they had knowledge. And this we believe
to be a proper illustration of the course which should be
pursued by all of the consecrated, all New Creatures; they
should not ask for physical healing, luxuries of life, etc.
At very most, our Lord's sample petition warrants such in
asking for what the Lord himself may see best for them
in the way of daily food; and even while praying for the
daily food they are to put forth the labors of their hands,
and to expect that the Lord's blessing will be upon the
same according to his wisdom as to what would be to their
highest profit in character development through experiences,
etc. If he shall see fit to grant them only the barest
F654
necessities of food and raiment, it will be to them a test of
love and patience and faith in him. If he shall supply them
with an abundance, it will be to them a test of the same
faith and love and devotion, in an opposite direction--as
demonstrating what proportion of these good gifts they are
willing to sacrifice in the interests of his cause, in the service
of his brethren. Likewise if divine wisdom sees best to give
robust health and vigor, the test of faithfulness will be as to
whether or not love and devotion will sacrifice and thoroughly
use this vigor on behalf of the Lord's cause, or
whether or not it will be absorbed in selfish pursuits; or, on
the other hand, if the Lord in his providence grants but a
limited amount of vitality and vigor, the test of faith and
devotion will be from the opposite standpoint, to prove the
love and obedience, submission and patience, and the zeal
with which small opportunities will be sought and persistently
used.
============The New Creation, page 652-654.

When Lazarus fell sick, the sisters sent Him word,
"He whom Thou lovest is sick." They manifested their
faith and submission also as to what answer would come
--as to whether He would simply send word, or bless a
handkerchief, or what not. They felt that He would
care for them--being a special friend of the family.
===============ZWT, May 1, 1913, page 134.

True, as we have frequently pointed out, those
who live near to the Lord, and who are guided by his
counsel respecting moderation in word, in thought, in
act, are better prepared than others to withstand disease,
or if attacked by disease are better prepared to
recover from it, and on the whole we believe that the
Lord's consecrated people enjoy much better health
after than before giving themselves fully to the Lord,
seeking to live according to his standard. But this,
we take it, is generally the result of a better course of
living, rather than the interposition of divine providence.
Looking back to the days of the Apostles, we
find that there is no record that the Lord or the Apostles
ever healed the infirmities of the consecrated ones.
Our Lord and also the Apostles healed the multitudes,
but not the disciples. And the Apostle Paul, who
sent handkerchiefs and napkins to the sick, far and
near (Acts 19:12), sent no napkin or handkerchief or
anointing oil to Timothy when he was sick. On the
contrary, he advised the use of wine medicinally, and
remarked that Timothy's ailment was not a trifling nor
a temporary one, but rather a chronic disorder--"thine
often infirmities." (1 Tim. 5:23.) We note the same
thing in respect to Epaphroditus (Phil. 2:26) and
Trophimas. (2 Tim. 4:20.) And the Apostle Paul had
the same experience himself, and says, "Most gladly,
therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmity, that the
power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take
pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in
persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake: for when
I am weak then I am strong." (2 Cor. 12:7-10.)
Our sicknesses and diseases from which we are wholly
relieved by the value of the precious blood administered
by the Good Physician are soul-sicknesses. We
are now justified freely, made every whit whole, and
shall shortly be saved from (out of) death by him,
through resurrection.
==================== ZWT, 10/1/1890, page 290.

Brother Russell evidently did believe, based on the Bible, that
handkerchiefs from the apostle Paul did cause healing (Acts 19:11,12); he
did not believe in such for us today.

> phrenology

Many preachers and doctors of the time believed in phrenology. Although many
of the theories concerning phrenology may not be true, the word simply means
study of the mind, or brain. The basic idea is that certain areas of our
brain are responsible for certain traits or characteristics. Modern medicine
does not use the term, but the basic idea is still believed in. I do believe
Brother Russell, as well as many others, assumed some false notions
regarding phrenology.

http://www.epub.org.br/cm/n01/frenolog/frenologia.htm

> the
> Winged-Sun-Disk

Yes, this symbol did appear on the cover of some editions of the Scripture
Studies. I personally don't believe Russell should have used this symbol,
but to him it was an illustration of certain scriptures. (Malachi 4:2; 2
Peter 1:19) As far as I know, except for some of the LHMM editions, none of
Russell's works being produced today by the Bible Students contain this
symbol, possibly due to the writings of Morton Edgar.
See:
http://reslight.addr.com/mytho.html

> Enochian Magical planes

I did a search through the Bible Students CD-ROM and found *not one*
reference to this. I have no idea what this is talking about.

> and many other strange things, a
> few of which are illustrated by quotations later in this text. There is
> space for less than 1% of what could have been included! The symbolisation
> of years as inches is a complete nonsense, as the ancient Egyptians never
> used the inch as a measuring unit!]

This is irrelevant. I don't think anyone claims the Egyptians knowingly used
the unit (assuming that the Great Pyramid was built by the Egyptians). The
claim is that *God* used the sacred unit. The builders, even if they were
Egyptian, did not need to know that the unit was being used.

For more in the Great Pyramid, see:
http://reslight.addr.com/l-gp.html

That Russell was used by God does not mean that everything he said had to be
perfect, or that he was right in absolutely everything he said or did.

BTW, one could go through the things Moses wrote and make a similar case
against Moses (as some have done).

Also Russell did not start the JW organization; this was done by Rutherford
after Russell's death.

For more on the Russell, see:
http://reslight.addr.com/l-russell.html

For more on the JWs organization and its formation, see:
http://reslight.addr.com/l-jws.html

Ronald R. Day