Question: Musical Instruments & Islam

doo...@hooked.net

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

I've heard recently that certain musical instruments are forbidden by
Islam. There is nothing in the Qur'an that I can find relating to this
matter, and the Hadith that I've read were fairly vague.
My question is this: are in fact certain musical instruments haram,
and if so, which instruments or types of instruments are they?

doo...@hooked.net

Rafiq

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96
to doo...@hooked.net

The only instrument I know of that can be played is a drum and only
before going to Jihad, you know, to gather everyone up. Besides that,
music can be played at a marriage (though I think people go too far these
days). All other types of instruments at any other events is haram.

JAWAD ZAKIR

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

Salaam Alaikum

There are no specific types of instruments to be played or not
to be played.

Islam is a religion of logic. It means Islam tells us do not
believe in things which conveys no meaning to you.

Why should Islam forbids or allows certain types of musical
instruments ? Overall musical intruments have different types of
sounds, drums have their own beats and guitar has its own.

Drums sounds loud and can be heard from a distance , that is
why they were used in the time of Prophet Mohammed peace be
upon him. But it does not mean that drums are the only
instruments we are allowed to play.

We can play any type of musical instrument what we like and
also we can listen on the stereo. What ever we do it must be
within the limits of Islam.

It means we should not include any type of sexusal behavior or
loose our minds while listening the music, like many Western
countries people do.