Some US churches are growing (guess which?)

* irenic *

Apr 6, 2006, 10:41:33 PM4/6/06
Pentecostal and so-called non-mainline Protestant churches show continuing
growth in the United States, while mainstream churches continue to lose
membership, according to the latest annual figures on US church membership

2006 Yearbook of Churches reflects
'robust immigrant history in U.S.
New York, March 30, 2006 -- The National Council of Churches' 2006 Yearbook
of American and Canadian Churches, one of the nation's oldest and most
reliable sources of church membership and growth trends, is reporting this
month on a record 219 national church bodies.

The Rev. Dr. Eileen W. Lindner, editor of the 89-year-old annual since 1998,
said the number of national church bodies "is reflective of a remarkably
robust immigration history and the cultural and constitutional freedom of
religion so characteristic of the United States." Lindner is the NCC's
Deputy General Secretary for Research and Planning.

In the U.S., all except Native American churches have significant numbers of
immigrants. Some churches were born outside the U.S. and established
missions for their congregants who traveled to America. The Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America (ranked 16) and the Orthodox Church in America
(ranked 24) were largely established by their European patriarchates for
Greek and Russian immigrants to the U.S.

Other churches listed in the 2006 Yearbook include several Asian, European
and Middle Eastern Orthodox churches or Protestant churches, such as the
Korean Presbyterian Church, that serve a largely immigrant membership in the
U.S.

The statistics in the 2006 Yearbook, collected by the churches in 2004 and
reported in 2005, "reflect the continued overall vitality of church
participation, and account for the religious affiliation of over 163 million
Americans," Lindner said.

The Yearbook also records the continuing growth of Pentecostal, historic
African American and other non-mainline churches in the U.S. Among the
largest 25 churches in the U.S., the fastest growing are the Assemblies of
God (increasing 1.81 percent to 2,779,095), the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints (increasing 1.74 percent to 5,999,177) and the Roman
Catholic Church (increasing .83 percent to 67,820,833).

Only three mainline Protestant churches are among the ten largest churches:
the United Methodist Church (ranked 3 with a membership of 8,186,254), the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ranked 7 with a membership of
4,930,429), and the Presbyterian Church, USA (ranked 9 with a membership of
3,189,573). All three churches declined in membership since the 2005
Yearbook was released.

The 2006 Yearbook provides an analysis of financial data from 63 churches
representing 50 million members and more than $33 billion.

In addition, an introductory essay by Lindner examines the increasing use of
blogs by the Emergent Church (EC).

Blogs (online journals), often with links to scores of Web pages, are
increasingly popular with EC proponents hoping to spark an energetic
dialogue on theology, doctrine, mission or styles of worship. Examples of EC
pioneers are Brian McLaren, founder of Cedar Ridge Community Church near
Washington, and Spencer Burke, founder of The Ooze (http://theooze.com),
"dedicated to the emerging Church culture."

"Blogs are particularly well-suited to communicating a nuanced religious
viewpoint and fostering thoughtful conversation," Lindner says, calling for
further research of the phenomenon.

U.S. Membership Denominational Ranking: Largest 25 Denominations/Communions

2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches.

1. The Catholic Church, 67,820,833 members, reporting an increase of .83
percent.

2. The Southern Baptist Convention, 16,267,494 members, reporting a decrease
of 1.05 percent. (See clarification, below.)

3. The United Methodist Church, 8,186,254 members, reporting a decrease of
.79 percent.

4. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5,999,177 members,
reporting an increase of 1.74 percent.

5. The Church of God in Christ, 5,499,875 members, no increase or decrease
reported.

6. National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc., 5,000,000 members, no increase or
decrease reported.

7. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 4,930,429, reporting a decrease
of 1.09 percent.

8. National Baptist Convention of America, 3,500,000, no increase or
decrease reported.

9. Presbyterian Church (USA), 3,189,573 members, reporting a decrease of
1.60 percent.

10. Assemblies of God, 2,779,095 members, reporting an increase of 1.81
percent.

11. African Methodist Episcopal Church, 2,500,000 members, no increase or
decrease reported.

12. National Missionary Baptist Convention of America, 2,500,000 members, no
increase or decrease reported.

13. Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc., 2,500,000 members, no
increase or decrease reported.

14. The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod (LCMS), 2,463,747, reporting a
decrease or 1.01 percent.

15. Episcopal Church, 2,284,233, reporting a decrease of 1.55 percent.

16. Churches of Christ, 1,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

17. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, 1,500,000 members, no increase or
decrease reported.

18. Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc., 1,500,000 members, no
increase or decrease reported.

19. The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, 1,432,795 members, no
increase or decrease reported.

20. American Baptist Churches in the USA, 1,424,840, reporting a decrease of
.57 percent.

21. United Church of Christ, 1,265,786, reporting a decrease of 2.38
percent.

22. Baptist Bible Fellowship International, 1,200,000, no increase or
decrease reported.

23. Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, 1,071,615 members, no
increase or decrease reported.

24. The Orthodox Church in America, 1,064,000 members, reporting an increase
of 6.40 percent.

25. Jehovah's Witnesses, 1,029,902 members, reporting a decrease of 1.07
members.

The total members reported in the largest 25 communions is 148,009,649.

The 2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches costs $45 and may be
ordered at www.electronicchurch.org

CLARIFICATION:

The Yearbook places an asterisk on this reference to add the following
clarification:

"In preparation for this 2006 edition, the Southern Baptist Convention
reported errors in their membership figures previously submitted for the
2005 and 2004 editions of the Yearbook. As a result, membership growth rates
reported in 2004 and 2005 editions of 1.21% and 1.18%, respectively, would
be revised downward to 0.53% and 0.42% based on the new figures. With these
corrections, the overall membership growth between December 31, 2001 and
December 31, 2004 is unchanged at 1.3%, a considerably slower rate of growth
than previously reported."

The 2006 Yearbook accurately reports an increase of membership from 2001 to
2004 for the SBC of 1.3 percent. The 1.05 percent decrease is based on the
previously reported data that the SBC corrected and the Yearbook reported in
its analysis indicated by the asterisk. News reports that separate the data
from the analysis have created an erroneous picture of SBC membership
trends.

http://www.ncccusa.org/news/060330yearbook1.html

--
Shalom! Rowland Croucher

"If only it were so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere
insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary to separate them
from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil
cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy
a piece of his own heart?" Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ - 17,000 articles; 4000 jokes/funnies

Steve Hayes

Apr 7, 2006, 12:11:02 AM4/7/06
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:41:33 +1000, "* irenic *" <see...@website.com> wrote:

>In the U.S., all except Native American churches have significant numbers of
>immigrants. Some churches were born outside the U.S. and established
>missions for their congregants who traveled to America. The Greek Orthodox
>Archdiocese of America (ranked 16) and the Orthodox Church in America
>(ranked 24) were largely established by their European patriarchates for
>Greek and Russian immigrants to the U.S.

Not true of the Orthodox Church of America, which grew out of a mission to
native Americans (Aleuts, Indians and Eskimos) in Alaska. The growth through
immigration came later, causing the church to move its headquarters further
east.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

COMEONGUYS

Apr 7, 2006, 12:48:46 AM4/7/06
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DRIBBLING ABOUT

AGGreen

Apr 7, 2006, 7:42:11 AM4/7/06

"COMEONGUYS" <jamezz...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DRIBBLING ABOUT

***James Hanks, you are adding nothing to this conversation. Rather than
slam-dunk, offer proof of your words.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Apr 7, 2006, 10:12:34 AM4/7/06

The OCA was known as the Cebero-Aeutskan Metropolia of Moscow Synod and
requested permission of the Ecumenical Patriarchate every time it moved (from
Alaska to SF to NYC). It multiplied when a group of Appallachian Uniates
from the Carpathian Alps converted, but these were always viewed with
suspicion by the actual Russians living on the ocean Coasts. When the Tsar's
deep generous pockets were available, most Greek parishes outside of Boston
and New York gladly attached themselves, until Lenin wanted to sell their
parishes and take the money back. As they assimilate, most Russians become
Lutherans and Greeks become Catholic, so their actual numbers are greatly
exaggerated, as they only actually attend annual festivities like Easter.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

nick cobb

Apr 7, 2006, 10:38:39 AM4/7/06
Vasos you are off-the-wall as usual!

Russ T. Nale

Apr 7, 2006, 11:44:51 AM4/7/06
In article <4435d15a$0$7528$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "* irenic *"
<see...@website.com> wrote:

-Pentecostal and so-called non-mainline Protestant churches show continuing
-growth in the United States, while mainstream churches continue to lose
-membership, according to the latest annual figures on US church membership
-
That may be because these non-mainline churches require little to nottjing
from their members.

So-called "worship services" are little more than entertianment to make
the "congregation" feel good if not superior to "non-believers"

These non-Mainline churches preach a "Gospel" of prosperity and "and me
and mine first, last, and foremost".

Selfishisness, materialism, racism, nationalism are NEVER condemned as
sin.....never called immoral.

In the USA, it would seem, the only thing one needs to do be "right with
God" is to be anti-abortion and anti-homosexual....Thise are the only only
"moral values" these non-Mainline churches ever seem to talk about/fight
for.
--
Russ T. Nale

http://grace.break.at

God is still speaking
http://www.stillspeaking.com

To send e-mail, remove "youhat" from address

Raymond

Apr 7, 2006, 7:06:03 PM4/7/06

Russ T. Nale wrote:
> In article <4435d15a$0$7528$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "* irenic *"
> <see...@website.com> wrote:
>
> -Pentecostal and so-called non-mainline Protestant churches show continuing
> -growth in the United States, while mainstream churches continue to lose
> -membership, according to the latest annual figures on US church membership
> -
> That may be because these non-mainline churches require little to nottjing
> from their members.

That can not be true, since they have the members attending church
which is sure doing something and seem to require them to attend
church, what was you reason for not going to church, or was it that
your church requires so little most only go on Easter and Christmas?

> So-called "worship services" are little more than entertianment to make
> the "congregation" feel good if not superior to "non-believers"

Sure is nice to see people that love Jesus going all the way to make
the service more then a make a noise, and then the congregation should
fell better and superior as they serve a living God and Christ has made
a way for them to go to Heaven.

> These non-Mainline churches preach a "Gospel" of prosperity and "and me
> and mine first, last, and foremost".

Then some of that must work as they have the membership and the money
to buy larger places for church services. Then repentance does start
at the altar, me and mine first then once saved to then go out to the
others to share with them the Christ. What do you do in your church,
and why is it not growing if you are correct?

> Selfishisness, materialism, racism, nationalism are NEVER condemned as
> sin.....never called immoral.

That is not so, they have more outreaches to all people, food and
clothing for the poor and some have sent hugh truck loads of supplies
to feed and help the needy in the south last year. Then they do
condemn sin when the bible shows it as sin, but not nationalism and
such, as that is not sin. Just because Jesus promised Heaven to the
believer, the unbelievers call that selfish and want to sin and still
get into heaven.

> In the USA, it would seem, the only thing one needs to do be "right with
> God" is to be anti-abortion and anti-homosexual....Thise are the only only
> "moral values" these non-Mainline churches ever seem to talk about/fight
> for.

Then to be right with God would be the only way to be right with God.
If you think, being wrong with God is a blessing it is, no wonder
non-Pentecostal churches are loosing members. Then being for life and
the husband and wife relationship is being on the way to the correct
moral values that God does want in His church. Then as Paul said, He
fought the fight so get on the wagon and find a Pentecostal Church that
is preaching Jesus and follow the Bible. Would be a good way to find
the truth and Jesus as LORD and not just the guy that died.

Raymond Knapp

> --
> Russ T. Nale

para...@technicianheaven.com

Apr 8, 2006, 2:54:49 PM4/8/06

Hello Musty Rail,
You posted:

>In article <4435d15a$0$7528$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "* irenic *"
><see...@website.com> wrote:
>
>-Pentecostal and so-called non-mainline Protestant churches show continuing
>-growth in the United States, while mainstream churches continue to lose
>-membership, according to the latest annual figures on US church membership

This article appears to be from a pentecostal magazine.

It doesn't take into account
Baptists
Lutherans
Evangelical Frees
Presbyterians
Calvary Chapels.
or a host of other so-called "mainstream churches."

We are all doing fine, thank you.

>-
>That may be because these non-mainline churches require little to nottjing
>from their members.

Or it may be because whoever wrote the article was nothing more than a
hack. If you don't do your homework or if you do it with strong bias,
your results are skewed, just like was in this post.

>So-called "worship services" are little more than entertianment to make
>the "congregation" feel good if not superior to "non-believers"

I can see that you have never visited our worship services. If you
had, you would have never made such a silly claim.

>These non-Mainline churches preach a "Gospel" of prosperity and "and me
>and mine first, last, and foremost".
>

>Selfishisness, materialism, racism, nationalism are NEVER condemned as
>sin.....never called immoral.

And EXACTLY WHICH of your pentecostal "pastors" told you that?
Whoever came up with that idea is either a liar or just completely
blinded by their "pentecostal" leader's glarp.

>In the USA, it would seem, the only thing one needs to do be "right with
>God" is to be anti-abortion and anti-homosexual....Thise are the only only
>"moral values" these non-Mainline churches ever seem to talk about/fight
>for.

If that is all your pentecostal groups stand for, I pity you. We
Christians stand for MUCH MUCH more.

And for your leaders to LIE about us so does not make us think very
highly of you.

parakaleo