OREMUS for Monday, July 27, 2009

jwshe...@satx.rr.com

Jul 27, 2009, 9:43:04 AM7/27/09
Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link
to our store in association with Amazon and other opportunities to
support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Monday, July 27, 2009
William Reed Huntington, Priest, 1909
Lord, open our lips,
Blessed are you, O God,
you are our greatest treasure
and the source of our greatest joy:
Your Spirit continues to form us in the likeness of Christ,
that we may know the freedom of your children
and the assurance that nothing in creation
can separate us from your love,
most fully known in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever!

An opening canticle may be sung.

Psalm 75
We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
calling upon your name
and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
‘I will appoint a time,’ says God;*
‘I will judge with equity.
‘Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
I will make its pillars fast.
‘I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
’"Do not toss your horns so high,*
nor speak with a proud neck."’
For judgement is neither from the east
nor from the west,*
nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord’s hand there is a cup,
full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
and all the wicked of the earth
shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76
In Judah is God known;*
his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
they sink into sleep;*
none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
who can stand before you when you are angry?
From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
let all around him bring gifts
to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36.24 26,28b)
I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses.
A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,
And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.
You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

Psalm 146
Alleluia!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!*
Put not your trust in rulers,
nor in any child of earth,*
for there is no help in them.
and in that day their thoughts perish.
for their help!*
whose hope is in the Lord their God;
Who made heaven and earth, the seas,
and all that is in them;*
who keeps his promise for ever;
and food to those who hunger.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;
the Lord opens the eyes of the blind;*
The Lord loves the righteous;
the Lord cares for the stranger;*
he sustains the orphan and widow,
but frustrates the way of the wicked.
The Lord shall reign for ever,*
Alleluia!

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 8:4-end]:
Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at
Ramah, and said to him, 'You are old and your sons do not follow in
your ways; appoint for us, then, a king to govern us, like other
nations.' But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, 'Give us a
king to govern us.' Samuel prayed to the Lord, and the Lord said to
Samuel, 'Listen to the voice of the people in all that they say to
you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from
being king over them. Just as they have done to me, from the day I
brought them up out of Egypt to this day, forsaking me and serving
other gods, so also they are doing to you. Now then, listen to their
voice; only—you shall solemnly warn them, and show them the ways of
the king who shall reign over them.'

So Samuel reported all the words of the Lord to the people who were
asking him for a king. He said, 'These will be the ways of the king
who will reign over you: he will take your sons and appoint them to
his chariots and to be his horsemen, and to run before his chariots;
and he will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and commanders
of fifties, and some to plough his ground and to reap his harvest, and
to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. He
will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will
take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive orchards and give
them to his courtiers. He will take one-tenth of your grain and of
your vineyards and give it to his officers and his courtiers. He will
take your male and female slaves, and the best of your cattle and
donkeys, and put them to his work. He will take one-tenth of your
flocks, and you shall be his slaves. And in that day you will cry out
because of your king, whom you have chosen for yourselves; but the
Lord will not answer you in that day.'

But the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel; they said,
'No! but we are determined to have a king over us, so that we also may
be like other nations, and that our king may govern us and go out
before us and fight our battles.' When Samuel had heard all the words
of the people, he repeated them in the ears of the Lord. The Lord said
to Samuel, 'Listen to their voice and set a king over them.' Samuel
then said to the people of Israel, 'Each of you return home.'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: St Flavian, Warwick, York
Come, O thou all-victorious Lord,
Thy power to us make known;
Strike with the hammer of thy word,
And break these hearts of stone.

Give us ourselves and thee to know,
In this our gracious day;
Repentance unto life bestow,
And take our sins away.

Conclude us first in unbelief,
And freely then release;
Fill every soul with sacred grief,
And then with sacred peace.

Impoverish, Lord, and then relieve,
And then enrich the poor;
The knowledge of our sickness give,
The knowledge of our cure.

That blessèd sense of guilt impart,
And then remove the load;
Trouble, and wash the troubled heart
In the atoning blood.

Our desperate state through sin declare,
And speak our sins forgiven;
By perfect holiness prepare,
And take us up to heaven.

SECOND READING [Luke 13:1-9]:
At that very time there were some present who told him about the
Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. He
asked them, 'Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in
this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? No, I tell
you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. Or those
eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them—do you
think that they were worse offenders than all the others living in
Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish
just as they did.'

Then he told this parable: 'A man had a fig tree planted in his
vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and found none. So he
said to the gardener, "See here! For three years I have come looking
for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why
should it be wasting the soil?" He replied, "Sir, let it alone for one
more year, until I dig round it and put manure on it. If it bears
fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down." '

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others( actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.
Almighty God,
whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain,
and entered not into glory before he was crucified:
Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross,
may find it none other than the way of life and peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord our God,
we thank you for instilling in the heart
of your servant William Reed Huntington
a fervent love for your Church
and its mission in the world;
and we pray that, with unflagging faith in your promises,
we may make known to all people
your blessed gift of eternal life;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

- The Lord's Prayer

May we instructed by your heavenly law, O Lord,
that we may embrace the example of your Son
and show it forth in deeds and works of love. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society
of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.
The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of
Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ
in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths..

W R Huntington, although never a bishop, had more influence on the
Episcopal Church than most bishops. He was born in Lowell,
Massachusetts, in 1838, the son of a physician, studied at Harvard,
and was ordained a priest in 1862. In each of the thirteen General
Conventions (held every three years, in years that have a remainder of
2 when divided by 3) of the Episcopal Church that met between 1870 and
his death, he was a member, and indeed the most prominent member, of
the House of Deputies. In 1871 he moved for the restoration of the
ancient Order of Deaconesses, which was finally officially authorized
in 1889. His parish became a center for the training of deaconesses.
Huntington's was the chief voice calling for a revision of the Book of
Common Prayer (completed in 1892), and his the greatest single
influence on the process of revision. The prayers he wrote for it is
the first collect above

In his book The Church Idea (1870), Huntington undertook to discuss
the basis of Christian unity, and he formulated the Chicago-Lambeth
Quadrilateral, a statement adopted first by the House of Bishops of
the Episcopal Church in 1886 and then, with slight modifications, by
the Bishops of the world-wide Anglican Communion assembled at Lambeth
in 1888. The statement set forth four principles which Anglicans
regard as essential, and offer as a basis for discussion of union with
other Christian bodies. [James Kiefer]

http://www.oremus.org/oremus.cgi?f