OREMUS for Tuesday January 06, 2009

jwshe...@satx.rr.com

Jan 6, 2009, 9:49:13 AM1/6/09
Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link
to our store in association with Amazon and other opportunities to
support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday January 06, 2009
The Epiphany
Lord, open our lips,
Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Blessed be God for ever!

An opening canticle may be sung.

Psalm 72
Give the king your justice, O God,*
and your righteousness to the king’s son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
there shall be abundance of peace
till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
may prayer be made for him always,
and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
growing thick even on the hilltops;*
may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
and be established as long as the sun endures;*
may all the nations bless themselves in him
and call him blessèd.
Blessèd be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessèd be his glorious name for ever!*
and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
Amen. Amen.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Psalm 147:1-12
Alleluia!
The Lord rebuilds Jerusalem;*
he gathers the exiles of Israel.
He heals the brokenhearted*
and binds up their wounds.
He counts the number of the stars*
and calls them all by their names.
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;*
there is no limit to his wisdom.
The Lord lifts up the lowly,*
but casts the wicked to the ground.
Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;*
make music to our God upon the harp.
He covers the heavens with clouds*
and prepares rain for the earth;
and green plants to serve us all.
He provides food for flocks and herds*
and for the young ravens when they cry.
he has no pleasure in human strength;
in those who await his gracious favour.
Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Isaiah 60:1-9]:
Arise, shine; for your light has come,
and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
For darkness shall cover the earth,
and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
and his glory will appear over you.
Nations shall come to your light,
and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

Lift up your eyes and look around;
they all gather together, they come to you;
your sons shall come from far away,
and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses' arms.
Then you shall see and be radiant;
your heart shall thrill and rejoice,
because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
the wealth of the nations shall come to you.
A multitude of camels shall cover you,
the young camels of Midian and Ephah;
all those from Sheba shall come.
They shall bring gold and frankincense,
and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord.
All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered to you,
the rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you;
they shall be acceptable on my altar,
and I will glorify my glorious house.

Who are these that fly like a cloud,
and like doves to their windows?
For the coastlands shall wait for me,
the ships of Tarshish first,
to bring your children from far away,
their silver and gold with them,
for the name of the Lord your God,
and for the Holy One of Israel,
because he has glorified you.

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart (1722-1771)
Tune: Rustington, Kit Smart, Ottery St. Mary, Castiglione
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.html

Where is this stupendous stranger?
Prophets, shepherds, kings, advise.
Lead me to my Master's manger,
show me where my Savior lies.
O Most Mighty! O Most Holy!
Far beyond the seraph's thought:
art thou then so weak and lowly
as unheeded prophets taught?

O the magnitude of meekness!
Worth from worth immortal sprung;
O the strength of infant weakness,
if eternal is so young!
God all-bounteous, all-creative,
whom no ills from good dissuade,
is incarnate, and a native
of the very world he made.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 4:1-6]:
Therefore, since it is by God’s mercy that we are engaged in this
ministry, we do not lose heart. We have renounced the shameful things
that one hides; we refuse to practise cunning or to falsify God’s
word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to
the conscience of everyone in the sight of God. And even if our gospel
is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the
god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep
them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who
is the image of God. For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim
Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. For
it is the God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness’, who has
shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of
God in the face of Jesus Christ.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
God,
whose promise is for all nations,
sustain the Christmas glory still.
May the Lord shine upon us
and by the Holy Spirit reveal your plan.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for God's light:

silence

May the nations walk by your light
and kings and queens by your shining radiance.
Let all search together for profound peace.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for those without strength:

silence

Save the lives of the poor.
Rescue them when they cry out.
Govern your people with justice
and your afflicted ones with careful judgment.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for unity among all believers.

silence

Bring the new epiphany
where all will share the promise and rise in splendor.
In the Spirit, all are called to love.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.
Everlasting God,
the radiance of faithful souls,
who brought the nations to your light
and kings to the brightness of your rising:
Fill the world with your glory,
and show yourself to all the nations;
through him who is the true light and the bright morning star,
Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest to us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society
of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.
The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of
Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ
in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The collect is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession (adapted) and the closing sentence are from Chalice
Worship, © Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

http://www.oremus.org/oremus.cgi?