George Bush's Job Description

Attuarii

Jul 14, 2006, 1:06:21 PM7/14/06
Halachos of Shabbos Goyim [non-Jews]
Summarized by Rabbi Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer
A. General Principles

1) It is prohibited to tell, or even hint in a way that infers a command, to
a goy to do any Melacha d'Orysa [activity prohibited by the Torah] or
d'Rabbanan [prohibited by the Talmud] on Shabbos.

2) It is permissible, however, to hint in a way that does not infer a
command to a goy to do a Melacha [prohibited activity] on Shabbos; and it
is permissible to hint, even in a way that infers a command, to a goy
either before Shabbos to do a Melacha on Shabbos, or on Shabbos to do a
Melacha after Shabbos.

3) In any event, it is forbidden for a Jew to derive direct benefit from any
Melacha done for him by a goy on Shabbos.
4) Examples:

a. It is permissible to say to a goy on Shabbos: "It's hard to sleep when
the light is on in the room," but not: "Why didn't you turn off my light
last Shabbos."

b. It is permissible to say: "I can't read because there isn't enough
light," or: "The house isn't lit up enough because only one candle is
burning," but not: "Do me a favor, there's not enough light in the room."
If there was previously no light at all in the room, it is prohibited to
derive benefit from the Melacha of the goy even bemakom mitzva [when doing
so will enable the performance of a mitzva].

c. It is permissible to say: "I have no torn toilet paper" (since the paper
may be used, albeit with difficulty, uncut).

d. Before Shabbos it is permissible to say to a goy : "Why didn't you want
last week to open the letters which came for me on Shabbos?"
B. For a Sick Person

5) For a sick person's needs, one may tell a goy explicitly even to do a
Melacha d'Orysa.

6) The category of sick people is extended to include people who are
suffering from cold weather conditions that require heating or hot weather
conditions that require air conditioning.
C. To Save Seforim [Holy Books]

7) To save seforim, including mezuzos affixed to houses, one may tell a goy
explicitly even to do a Melacha d'Orysa.
D. Cases where a Great Loss may be Sustained

8) In cases where great losses [to the principal] may be sustained it is
permissible to hint, even in a way that infers a command, to a goy even to
do a Melacha d'Orysa. Example: "Anyone who puts out the fire won't lose."
E. Cases where a Goy may be told Outright to do a Melacha D'Rabbanan

9) In the following cases a goy may be told outright to do a Melacha
d'Rabbanan [activity prohibited by the Talmud]:

a. Potential great loss; b. great need; c. Need of a mitzvah; d. Arrival of
unanticipated guests; e. Results of the d'Rabbanan Melacha could have been
achieved by a Jew without any Melacha having been committed; f. Saving
objects other than seforim from a fire.
10) Examples:

a. Taking a siddur to shul where there is no eruv [enclosure to permit
carrying]; b. Removing chametz on Pesach from the house; c. Carrying a
valuable object that is muktzeh [may not be moved on Shabbos] to a safe
place.
F. Needs so that the Masses are Kept from Sinning

11) If the only way to prevent the masses from sinning is by telling a goy
to do a Melacha d'Orysa, it is permissible to do so.
G. If the Goy will do a Melacha D'Orysa, but not at Your Request

12) Even if one knows that a goy will do a Melacha d'Orysa in the course of
fulfilling a request (i.e., the goy is asked to wash the dishes, and he
will heat up water to do so), nonetheless, since this Melacha is not
inherent in this activity, it is permissible to make such a request.
H. Twilight

13) In the twilight period at the beginning of Shabbos [Bein HaShemashos]
one may tell a goy explicitly even to do a Melacha D'Orysa, if the need is
great, or it is necessary for Shabbos or for a mitzva.
I. Payment, Employment, and Work for Self

14) One may pay a goy for work he did on Shabbos for a Jew which was
permissible, but monetary compensation should not be given until after
Shabbos.

15) One's nonÄJewish employee may not do work for him on Shabbos, unless the
goy is working then solely for the purpose of gaining free time for himself
on a weekday. Even then, the work may only be done on the goy 's own
premises.

16) One may tell a goy even to do a Melacha d'Orysa [activity prohibited by
the Torah] for his (the goy's) own good, as long as the Jew does not
explicitly tell the goy to use his (the Jew's) appliances to do that
Melacha .
J. Benefit from the Goy's Melacha D'Orysa

17) If there is direct benefit to a Jew from a Melacha d'Orysa performed by
a goy for him on Shabbos, pleasure from that benefit is prohibited for a
Jew until enough time to have completed that Melacha if it had been begun
after Shabbos has elapsed [bekedai she ya aseh].
18) Examples:

a. If a Jew directed a goy to do a D'Orysa Melacha on Shabbos, the
prohibition of benefit is so severe, that if, for instance the goy turned
on a light, the Jew must leave the room so as not to derive pleasure from
the Melacha .

b. If the goy did the Melacha d'Orysa without being asked, but did so for
the benefit of a Jew, then the Jew must protest.If he did not protest, the
Jew may derive indirect benefit from the Melacha ; i.e., carry on a
conversation by the light, but not read thereby.

c. If the goy did not heed the protest, and nevertheless turned on the
light, the Jew may even read thereby.

d. Similarly, if a goy cooked food for a Jew on Shabbos, that food is
muktzeh and no Jew may partake of it until until enough time to have
completed that Melacha if it had been begun after Shabbos has elapsed
[bekedai she ya aseh].

e. If the Melacha d'Orysa that was performed was Hotza ah [forbidden
carrying in an unenclosed area] there is no need to wait until enough time
to have completed that Melacha if it had been begun after Shabbos has
elapsed [bekedai she ya aseh]

19) A healthy Jew may derive benefit from a Melacha done by a goy for a sick
person as long as: a) the goy did not do any extra Melacha for the benefit
of the healthy Jew; and, b) the product of the Melacha is not hjqvm.

20) Even if these conditions are not met, there is no need to wait until
enough time to have completed that Melacha if it had been begun after
Shabbos has elapsed [bekedai she ya aseh].

21) Melacha done by a goy for his own or another goy 's benefit follows the
same parameters outlined in # 19Ä20.
22) Examples:

a. A light turned on by a goy for his own use (even if it is in order to do
permissible work for a Jew); b. Water heated in a hotel or other setting
where it is clear that the goy has no knowledge of, or is not concerned
with, individual Jewish patrons.
K. Benefit from Melacha done for both Jews and Goyim

23) If the majority of people, or even a significant minority (i.e., that
the Melacha may be intended for them) of the population for whom a goy does
Melacha are Jewish, the Melacha is considered to have been done for the
Jews.

24) If the majority of people, or even a significant minority of the
population for whom a goy does Melacha are goyim (i.e., that the Melacha
may be intended solely for them), the Melacha is considered to have been
done for the goyim. In cases of a 50Ä50% population, the Melacha is
considered to have been done for the Jews.

25) Examples of Ramifications:

Heat, light, and elevator use in Apartment Buildings (Note: an additional
factor of Mar ees Ayin [other Jews noticing the activity, not realizing
that in this case it is permissible, and extrapolating to other cases where
it may well be impermissible] may be involved in elevator use.); Traveling
by ship on Shabbos.
L. Indirect Benefit from the Goy's Melacha

26) Indirect benefit from the Melacha of a goy is permissible.
27) Examples:

a. Reading a letter which was inside an envelope opened by a goy on Shabbos
(it is therefore permissible to hint to a goy in a way that does not infer
a command to open a letter which it is permissible to read on Shabbos).

b.Eating food which was inside a can opened by a goy on Shabbos (it is
therefore permissible to hint to a goy in a way that does not infer a
command to open a can on Shabbos, even if one personally refrains from
doing so).

c. Reading in a room in which prior to the goy 's lighting candles it was
possible to read, at least with difficulty.
M. Benefit from the Goy's Melacha D'Rabbanan

28) If there is direct benefit to a Jew from a Melacha d'Rabbanan [activity
prohibited by the Talmud] performed by a goy for him on Shabbos, pleasure
from that benefit is prohibited for that Jew and all members of his
household until until enough time to have completed that Melacha if it had
been begun after Shabbos has elapsed [bekedai she ya aseh]. Any other Jew
may derive pleasure from that Melacha immediately. The product of the
Melacha is not considered Muktzeh even for the Jew for whom the Melacha was
done.

29) Examples of Ramifications:

Objects brought from beyond the 2000 amos one is permitted to travers on
Shabbos [michutz latechum]; through a d'Rabbanan [prohibited by the Talmud]
public domain [Reshus haRabbim];or bought on Shabbos. Note: i.e., a
newspaper. See, however, above, # 18e.
N. Pesik Reisha [Automatic Result]

30) It is permissible to direct a goy to do some act even if a Melacha will
result automatically (even a Melacha d'Orysa [activity prohibited by the
Torah]), i.e., telling him to open a refrigerator door even though the
motor or light will turn on as a result; or to put a cold, but already
cooked, pot of food to heat up on a stove which will turn on automatically.
O. Telephone Conversations

31) One may carry on a long distance telephone conversation with a goy even
if the goy is located in a time zone where it is already or still Shabbos.
Source: Shemiras Shabbos k'Hilchasa Chaps. 30-31.
Return to National Education Program Page

--
"It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses
or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not

Attuarii

Jul 17, 2006, 9:43:37 AM7/17/06
Attuarii wrote:

> Halachos of Shabbos Goyim [non-Jews]
> Summarized by Rabbi Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer
> A. General Principles

> 31) One may carry on a long distance telephone conversation with a goy

> even if the goy is located in a time zone where it is already or still
> Shabbos. Source: Shemiras Shabbos k'Hilchasa Chaps. 30-31.
> Return to National Education Program Page

Does anybody ever believe these microphone gaffs are accidental?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13901209/

?See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to
stop doing this s--- and it?s over,? Bush told Blair as he chewed on a
buttered roll.

Juan Tootreego

Jul 17, 2006, 12:58:05 PM7/17/06
In article <HvednSKD5dLVCSbZ...@speakeasy.net>,
Attuarii says...

> Attuarii wrote:
>
> > Halachos of Shabbos Goyim [non-Jews]
> > Summarized by Rabbi Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer
> > A. General Principles
>
> > 31) One may carry on a long distance telephone conversation with a goy
> > even if the goy is located in a time zone where it is already or still
> > Shabbos. Source: Shemiras Shabbos k'Hilchasa Chaps. 30-31.
> > Return to National Education Program Page
>
> Does anybody ever believe these microphone gaffs are accidental?

Did you think that Ronnie Raygun's 'gaffe' about the bombers
heading for Russia was accidental?

--

"I never knew there were corners in time
until I was told to go stand in one"