new to the ng

bryn...@artpost.com

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know. Thanks in
advance, Bryn

jackh

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Hi Bryn,
Welcome araa, Nice of you to introduce yourself.
This is not an AA discussion group but an open discussion on any and all
aspects of recovery from alcoholism. Although many like myself prefer the
AA slant on things, you will find many different opinions. You are very
welcome to express yours, and duck ;-)
Enjoy yourself and get comfortable.
--
Jack H Remove DUST from address before replying.

"Impression without Expression leaves Depression"
( I don't care who said it, I like it.)

bryn...@artpost.com wrote in article <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Will

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Welcome.... To..... a.r.aa.......

bryn...@artpost.com wrote:

> Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
> something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
> advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.

Watch out for the Trolls for they are lurk'in everywhere.... some even have
cookies...yummy..... yummy...... cookies in the tummy.... ha.. ha.. ho
ho... a trolling we will go...

take care
Will ***[;o)

MartyB

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

bryn...@artpost.com wrote in article <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
| Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
| something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
| advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know. Thanks in

| advance, Bryn

| http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Hi Bryn! Nice to see ya introducing yourself here in a.r.aa!
I see you posted using Deja News... Occasionally, a FAQ is posted
to this newsgroup (FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions). Just
do a search for FAQ in the alt.recovery.aa newsgroup (on
Deja News' power query). I found it helpful when I started
posting here a few months ago.
--
Go gently.
MartyB

Grace

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In article <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, bryn...@artpost.com wrote:

> Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
> something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
> advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.
>
> Thanks in
> advance,
>
> Bryn

Hi Bryn,

Welcome. You're doing just fine. For more info, check out the FAQ. You
might want to look at Gary's "Inmmutable Laws of the Internet" which he
posts occasionally. It is a very good reality check...

Grace

--
But if you love love then love loves you too.
B. Cockburn

Ralph D

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Welcome, Bryn
Nice to meet ya!
Ralph D
bryn...@artpost.com wrote in message <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
>something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
>advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.Thanks in
>advance,Bryn

Jim P.

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Welcome, Bryn

bryn...@artpost.com wrote:

> Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
> something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any

> advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.
>
> Thanks in
> advance,
>
> Bryn

Will

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Kim B. wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:14:08 -0800, Will <turt...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >Welcome.... To..... a.r.aa.......

> >bryn...@artpost.com wrote:
> >
> >> Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
> >> something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
> >> advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.
> >

> >Watch out for the Trolls for they are lurk'in everywhere.... some even have
> >cookies...yummy..... yummy...... cookies in the tummy.... ha.. ha.. ho
> >ho... a trolling we will go...
> >

> AHEM!!!!!
>
> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş

Hummmm.... Are those like Prune-newtons or somth'in....?

Will ***[:o)

Grace

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In article <6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org (Kim B.) wrote:

> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
>

> Kimba

Maybe with an Ex-lax coating - hmmmmmm?

Grace (warming up the Epilady)

knifef...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Think I should read it tooooooooo?

Naw, I am sure if I keep coming back I will hear the FAQ through
reading the posts :)

But there is some rule 62 I keep hearing about. . . I just figured
it was a plot and ignored the whole thing!

*LOL*

I better be still while I am this crazy, I really need sleepppppppp.

/s/ Knife

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:49:17 -0600, bryn...@artpost.com wrote:

>Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
>something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
>advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.

Thanks in
>advance,

Bryn

Hi Bryn,

welcome :)

Not a lot of rules - just remember the most important thing is to be
nice to lil green trolls.

Oh yes - and remember rule 62 :)

Kimba
the official lil troll of a.r.aa

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:14:08 -0800, Will <turt...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Welcome.... To..... a.r.aa.......
>

>bryn...@artpost.com wrote:
>
>> Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
>> something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any
>> advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.
>

>Watch out for the Trolls for they are lurk'in everywhere.... some even have
>cookies...yummy..... yummy...... cookies in the tummy.... ha.. ha.. ho
>ho... a trolling we will go...

AHEM!!!!!

Prune cookies for you, Will Ž

Kimba

Sandy G.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Hi Bryn. Welcome t araa.

Sandy

"When God closes one door, another always opens...but sometimes it's
HELL in the hallway!"

MartyB

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Kim B. <kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in article
<6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

<SNIP!>

| Kimba
|
| A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

ROTFLMAO! I just LOVE that! What a wonderful
way to start my day, with a burst of laughter!
Thanks a million for that one, Kimba.

BTW, could I please have TWO cookies?

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:01:28 -0800, Will <turt...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> >Watch out for the Trolls for they are lurk'in everywhere.... some even have
>> >cookies...yummy..... yummy...... cookies in the tummy.... ha.. ha.. ho
>> >ho... a trolling we will go...
>> >

>> AHEM!!!!!
>>

>> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
>>

>Hummmm.... Are those like Prune-newtons or somth'in....?
>
>Will ***[:o)

Yup - they're kinda like EverReady Cookies - you'll keep goin' and
goin'.....

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:34:42 -0800, gr...@europa.com (Grace) wrote:

>In article <6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
>kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org (Kim B.) wrote:
>

>> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
>>

>> Kimba
>>
>Maybe with an Ex-lax coating - hmmmmmm?
>
>Grace (warming up the Epilady)
>
>--
>But if you love love then love loves you too.
>B. Cockburn

Someone I worked with did that with brownies once. Seems someone kept
stealing her lunch out of the cafeteria fridge - She caught him with
his pants down, so to speak....

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

On 15 Mar 1998 13:17:16 GMT, "MartyB" <marty...@ma.ultranet.com>
wrote:

>Kim B. <kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in article
><6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
>
><SNIP!>
>

>| Kimba
>|
>| A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)
>

>ROTFLMAO! I just LOVE that! What a wonderful
>way to start my day, with a burst of laughter!
>Thanks a million for that one, Kimba.
>
>BTW, could I please have TWO cookies?
>--

Absolutely :)

When my children were little, I always gave them two - one for each
hand.

God I miss those days.

Will

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Grace wrote:

> In article <6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
> kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org (Kim B.) wrote:
>

> > Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
> >
> > Kimba
> >
> Maybe with an Ex-lax coating - hmmmmmm?

Easy come, Easy go....

in the mouth and let them flow....

Will ***[:o)

Harry

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Hi Bryn, welcome to araa. My name is Harry I have been involved with this ng
for about 2 months and have found it to be a great source of inspiration and
a wonderful opportunity to explore my thoughts and feelings. People who came
here before me passed on the same suggestion that I take what I can use and
leave the rest- I've found this to be good advice. There are all kinds of
thoughts and comments here. Some are pretty straightforward and some are
not. I've found some controversial to my way of seeing things and some have
opened my eyes. I think that araa has helped me to open my mind further. I
have a tendency to forget that growth is only possibble to the extent to
which I am willing to understand and learn more about myself.

Keep coming back.
love Harry O
8/12/83
ho...@grill.sk.ca

bryn...@artpost.com wrote in message <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Rather than forge through and act like I know what I'm doing (which is
>something I do often) I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any

>advice on navigating this new territory, please let me know.Thanks in
>advance,Bryn

janine marwill

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

I need help, what exactly does one do to get on here! How do ya'll know I
am here?
Do I direct thoughts, or whatever to the group as a whole or just reply to
people via private email.

Could someone help me, please?
Janine M
Dallas,Texas

jackh

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Hi janine,
If you read Harrys post right above yours it gives a good starting point
for you. Seeing as how this is a new post it would have worked better for
you if you had posted it as a new message to group as opposed to putting it
in as a "tag" on someone else's post, but that's okay, you're still here.
Feel welcome to talk about anything related to recovery or ask any
questions.
I've sent you a copy of my reply to your tag and you'll also see it
attached to your tag in the newsgroup.

--
Jack H Remove DUST from address before replying.

"Impression without Expression leaves Depression"
( I don't care who said it, I like it.)

janine marwill <its...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6ehdct$c...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

Ralph D

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

We'all are aware you're here just fine! You could direct your thoughts if
you wish or take the softer easier way and type them if you want. Either way
be aware that there is nothing private at all about any thoughts expressed
here. Generally they are read and responded to by terrific recover(ed)(ing)
program folks but are also read and responded to by some who are not sober,
have huge unresolved resentments involving recovery or the lack thereof, and
some who are just plain sick without ever having had a drinking problem.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
Prepare for an interesting experience that I hope you will enjoy.
Ralph D

homerr

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Kim B. wrote in message <6egl28$a...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>>> AHEM!!!!!
>>>

>>> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
>>>

>>Hummmm.... Are those like Prune-newtons or somth'in....?
>>
>>Will ***[:o)
>>
>Yup - they're kinda like EverReady Cookies - you'll keep goin' and
>goin'.....
>

>Kimba
>
>A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

I thought the 4 basic food groups were blueberry, cherry and strawberry
frosted pop tarts and pizza.<g>
homerr

homerr

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Hey, Harry O..
This is great. I move we archive this thought an include it in the
"fortune" version of the trollhouse cookies given to all the newbies.
Second???

homerr - Tri- Valley, CA - 10.03.83
<jazz...@spry2net.com> [remove 1-2 to reply]

Harry wrote in message <6ehbq1$jf3$1...@f02s02.tac.net>...
>Hi Bryn, welcome to a.r.aa. My name is Harry I have been involved with this

ng
>for about 2 months and have found it to be a great source of inspiration
and
>a wonderful opportunity to explore my thoughts and feelings. People who
came
>here before me passed on the same suggestion that I take what I can use and
>leave the rest- I've found this to be good advice. There are all kinds of
>thoughts and comments here. Some are pretty straightforward and some are
>not. I've found some controversial to my way of seeing things and some
have

>opened my eyes. I think that a.r.aa has helped me to open my mind further.
>have a tendency to forget that growth is only possible to the extent to

>which I am willing to understand and learn more about myself.
>
>Keep coming back.
>love Harry O
>8/12/83
>ho...@grill.sk.ca
>

>bryn...@artpost.com wrote in message <6eecbo$h67$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>>I thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any

<< ..snip.. >>

Kim B.

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

On 15 Mar 1998 20:23:57 GMT, "janine marwill"
<its...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I need help, what exactly does one do to get on here! How do ya'll know I
>am here?
>Do I direct thoughts, or whatever to the group as a whole or just reply to
>people via private email.
>
>Could someone help me, please?
>Janine M
>Dallas,Texas

Hi, Janine,

Welcome.

It's not a group - it's Usenet which means anybody can post and read
what's posted.

Feel free to post to the group - and if there's someone you'd like to
speak with in more detail, feel free to try the e-mail thing.

Kim B.

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:37:12 -0800, "homerr" <jaz...@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>Kim B. wrote in message <6egl28$a...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>have

>>>Hummmm.... Are those like Prune-newtons or somth'in....?
>>>
>>>Will ***[:o)
>>>
>>Yup - they're kinda like EverReady Cookies - you'll keep goin' and
>>goin'.....
>>

>>Kimba
>>
>>A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

>I thought the 4 basic food groups were blueberry, cherry and strawberry
>frosted pop tarts and pizza.<g>
>homerr

Nope, the 4 basic food groups are, chocolate, pizza, cookies and fries
<g>

MartyB

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

janine marwill <its...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6ehdct$c...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
| I need help, what exactly does one do to get on here! How do ya'll know I
| am here?
| Do I direct thoughts, or whatever to the group as a whole or just reply to
| people via private email.
|
| Could someone help me, please?
| Janine M
| Dallas,Texas

Hi Janine! Welcome to a.r.aa! You're coming though
just fine. I lurked for a while (read without posting
anything to the newsgroup) so I could get a feel for
how things were done here. Before you know it, I
suspect you'll find the same to be true for you!

On a separate note, in an effort to avoid unwanted
junk e-mail (get rich quick schemes, porno ads, etc.)
I discovered that a prudent defense was to change
my userid in my posts so it could not be harvested
automatically... It appears you are using Microsoft
Internet News. So am I. Here's what I have:

Start at the main Internet News window.
Select "Options" from the "News" pull-down menu.
Click on the "Server" tab.
Here are the values I have:
Name: MartyB
Email Address: marty...@ma.ultranet.com
Reply Address:

Click on the "Signature" tab:
Click on the checkbox "Add signature to the end of all outgoing messages"
Click on the "Text" radio button.
In the text field to the right, I provide instructions so readers
of my posts can figure out my correct e-mail address.) That is:

note: remove all SPAM from my ID before replying

Click on the "Apply" pushbutton.
Click on the "OK" pushbutton.

You're all set! I hope this helps!

MartyB

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Kim B. <kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in article
<6egl4h$a...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

| On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:34:42 -0800, gr...@europa.com (Grace) wrote:
|
| >In article <6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,
| >kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org (Kim B.) wrote:
| >

| >> Prune cookies for you, Will Ş
| >>
| >> Kimba
| >>
| >Maybe with an Ex-lax coating - hmmmmmm?
| >
| >Grace (warming up the Epilady)
| >
| >--
| >But if you love love then love loves you too.
| >B. Cockburn
|
| Someone I worked with did that with brownies once. Seems someone kept
| stealing her lunch out of the cafeteria fridge - She caught him with
| his pants down, so to speak....
|
| Kimba
|
| A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

Reminds me of a time when I had a problem with someone
stealing my sandwiches at a place I worked. After the third
or forth time, I realized that someone who was stealing my
sandwiches might also be stealing from the company. This
prompted me to discuss this with my manager.

I was surprised at her vehemence in suggesting I tamper my
sandwich with ex-lax! Tempting as it was, I also realized
that I might later find one of my sandwiches tampered with.
So I let go of that idea real quick!

The next morning after I finished fixing my sandwiches
and had put them in my Tupperware came a simple idea.
I pulled out a sheet of paper, and using a broad marker
wrote: "Thou shalt not steal."

I never had another problem.

MartyB

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Kim B. <kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in article
<6egt5c$r...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

| On 15 Mar 1998 13:17:16 GMT, "MartyB" <marty...@ma.ultranet.com>
| wrote:
|
| >Kim B. <kimbago...@snerts-r-us.org> wrote in article
| ><6efjuj$n...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
| >
| ><SNIP!>

| >| Kimba
| >|
| >| A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)
| >
| >ROTFLMAO! I just LOVE that! What a wonderful
| >way to start my day, with a burst of laughter!
| >Thanks a million for that one, Kimba.
| >
| >BTW, could I please have TWO cookies?
| >--
| Absolutely :)
|
| When my children were little, I always gave them two - one for each
| hand.
|
| God I miss those days.
|
| Kimba

As a kid, when I'd ask how many cookies I could have,
my parents would say, "All you want... two!" It became
a tradition that after dinner we'd be obligated to ask the
same question, time after time, to get the same response
most of the time (sometimes we got 3! Yummmm!)

Fred Brumley

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

On 16 Mar 1998 13:21:20 GMT in ARAA history, article
<01bd5073$77358820$1941...@MartysLap.ma.ultranet.com> from "MartyB"
<marty...@ma.ultranet.com> contained:

<...brevity snip...>

>The next morning after I finished fixing my sandwiches
>and had put them in my Tupperware came a simple idea.
>I pulled out a sheet of paper, and using a broad marker
>wrote: "Thou shalt not steal."
>
>I never had another problem.
>--
>Go gently.
>MartyB

<...snip sig...>

LOL! I wonder if you might have gotten the same result if you'd written a note
to the effect, "Please... PLEASE enjoy this sandwich! I made it especially for
YOU."

Cheers,
Fred

Mark T

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

janine marwill wrote in message <6ehdct$c...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>I need help, what exactly does one do to get on here! How do ya'll know I
>am here?
>Do I direct thoughts, or whatever to the group as a whole or just reply to
>people via private email.
>
>Could someone help me, please?
>Janine M
>Dallas,Texas

It's sort of a mind over matter thing. You direct your thoughts real hard
at the group as a whole, and BINGO! You're on!

Actually, you seem to be doing fine. The proper etiquette of the Internet
is
-- that you only post 'on topic' (here, that would be things AA related),
-- that you take private debates private (go to e-mail),
-- that you do not cross-post unless direly required (post to several groups
at once),
-- that you do not post binaries (programs or graphics) to groups without
the word 'binaries' in the name,
-- blah, blah, blah

That said, jump in and have a great time!

--
Mark T.
"I am not a trouble maker; I am a catalyst for change."

m...@earthling.net

Kim B.

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

On 16 Mar 1998 13:21:20 GMT, "MartyB" <marty...@ma.ultranet.com>
wrote:

>Reminds me of a time when I had a problem with someone
>stealing my sandwiches at a place I worked. After the third
>or forth time, I realized that someone who was stealing my
>sandwiches might also be stealing from the company. This
>prompted me to discuss this with my manager.
>
>I was surprised at her vehemence in suggesting I tamper my
>sandwich with ex-lax! Tempting as it was, I also realized
>that I might later find one of my sandwiches tampered with.
>So I let go of that idea real quick!
>

>The next morning after I finished fixing my sandwiches
>and had put them in my Tupperware came a simple idea.
>I pulled out a sheet of paper, and using a broad marker
>wrote: "Thou shalt not steal."
>
>I never had another problem.
>--

Good one, Martykins :)

Can you imagine how that must have felt?

Ralph D

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

HA Ha ha!
w2wG