Looking For a GPS Reciever Recc.

miedvied

Dec 16, 2005, 10:01:40 PM12/16/05
What I'm looking for is a fairly simple, preferably memory-expandable
GPS reciever. I want it primarily for hiking use, though I'd like
something with automatic address routing, so I can use it in the city
when need be (though I don't need a huge color screen and voice signals
and so on for this.) My price limit is around 200 - 250

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magellan Meridian Gold, as I've
been told that with DirectRoute MapSend or somesuch program it gains
address routing. Any advice from the more experienced here?

Andrew Priest

Dec 16, 2005, 10:45:47 PM12/16/05
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:01:40 GMT, miedvied <mied...@spamspamsapm.com>
wrote:

>At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magellan Meridian Gold, as I've
>been told that with DirectRoute MapSend or somesuch program it gains
>address routing. Any advice from the more experienced here?

Hi

If you have not already check out GPSInformation.net I would highly
recommend you do so. The URL is <http://gpsinformation.net/>.

Also not directly related but will give you some idea on the Magellan
software is the reports by the testers at BackpackGearTest.org on the
Magellan SporTrak. You can see the reports at
<http://www.backpackgeartest.org/magellangps/>.

Regards
Andrew

miedvied

Dec 17, 2005, 12:56:10 AM12/17/05
Andrew Priest wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:01:40 GMT, miedvied <mied...@spamspamsapm.com>
> wrote:
>

>>At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magellan Meridian Gold, as I've
>>been told that with DirectRoute MapSend or somesuch program it gains
>>address routing. Any advice from the more experienced here?
>

> Hi
>
> If you have not already check out GPSInformation.net I would highly
> recommend you do so. The URL is <http://gpsinformation.net/>.

I have read this site thoroughly, which was what brought me to my
current narrowing of the field.

> Also not directly related but will give you some idea on the Magellan
> software is the reports by the testers at BackpackGearTest.org on the
> Magellan SporTrak. You can see the reports at
> <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/magellangps/>.
>
> Regards
> Andrew

Thank you for your time and effort.

Guido

Dec 17, 2005, 8:41:40 AM12/17/05

This may be a matter of preference, but I'm more partial to Garmin GPS
units. I use a Garmin Geko 201 for all my driving and hiking. When
driving, I hook it into a laptop and use the nRoute software which works
with MapSource... of course, if you don't have a laptop, that might not
work so well.
For hiking, the Geko 201 works quite well as a cross-reference with your
maps, as well as tracking your track through the woods. It's a very
basic GPS in that it doesn't use downloaded maps - hence why I use it in
conjunction with the laptop in the car (not to mention it's much easier
to read, that way).

A friend of mine uses the eTrex Legend, which may be more along the
lines of what you're looking for with maps and routing. He uses it for
driving on long trips and for when we go GeoCaching
(http://www.geocaching.com).

Here's a link where you can check out both GPS units.
http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#basic (Geko's up near the
top, eTrex Legend is around the middle)

QX

Dec 17, 2005, 9:17:34 AM12/17/05
wrote:

>What I'm looking for is a fairly simple, preferably memory-expandable

Regardless of what you decide, let me recommend www.gpscity.com for a
purchase or price check. I bought my gps from them, and got the best
price I could find. In addition, since they are local to me (Las
Vegas, NV), I used their store pickup, and can attest to them being a
real store and not some phony website.

dh

Dec 17, 2005, 8:37:40 PM12/17/05
"miedvied" <mied...@spamspamsapm.com> wrote in message

You might go lurk in sci.geo.satellite-nav for a while. A lot of the
chatter is very technical but some of it is practical. Go look and see.

As another recommended, visit gpsinformation.net. Lots of good stuff there.

By the way, I have a Geko 201. I use it standalone for hiking, backpacking
and fun. Chief reason for getting the Geko 201 - it's tiny! Goes about 10
hours on AAAs.

No mapping at all. Using a laptop with it sounds cumbersome but the screen
on a laptop and the mapping is going to be way better than on any handheld
GPS and I'll bet you'll get voice directions, too, with almost any product.
If you've already got a laptop, I'd consider getting a basic GPS, like the
Geko and using the PC as the smarts. I'd say the laptop approach will work
best in situations where you have a "co-pilot." You would not need to drag
the laptop on hikes (although, you could).

You can go down one more rung in GPS with the Geko 101 and get into it for
perhaps as little as $90. It does not have an accuracy enhancement that the
201 has but it si something you can live without.

I bought mine through TVNAV.COM. I was perfectly satisfied with them.

There may be another make on the market that's even less, a low-end Lowrance
or Magellan but the unit I'm thinking of is not capable of transferring data
to a computer. I don't do that much data transfer but I would not want to
give up that feature.

If you go cheap now, later you can buy something much better when
capabilities go up further and prices come down more. You'll also have some
experience and a better grasp of what's going to work for you.

Brian Sniatkowski

Dec 18, 2005, 7:47:25 AM12/18/05
miedvied wrote:

In that price range the Garmin eTrex Legend C (color model) partially
fits the bill. Its compact, easy to use and does auto routing with the
appropriate software. Actually it can autoroute (turn by turn
directions) out of the box on the base maps, but they are not detailed
enough to be of much use. It doesn't have memory expandability, but
unless you are someone who travels widely and frequently that shouldn't
be an issue. Its 24 megs might be an issue if you live in a major
metropolitan area NYC, LA, DC, Chi, etc... but in nearly any other place
it will provide plenty of map coverage (for example the entire state of
New Mexico, or all of Wyoming and Idaho) and if you plan to drive out of
your coverage area it only takes 2 minutes to load new maps.

The Meri-Gold is a nice enough unit, but personally I find it to be on
the large side for hiking. Its one of the largest handhelds on the
market. Also, Magellan's autorouting software (MapSend) isn't nearly as
good as Garmin's (MapSource City Select) and Magellan's user interface
isn't as intuitive and user friendly as Garmin's. For instance Garmin
lets you access any waypoint directly by name, while with Magellan you
many need to page through as many as 500 entries to find a specific
waypoint.

If you are set on Magellan, you can find the eXplorist 400 in your price
range. Someone mentioned to me that Costco is selling it, with mapping
software, for around $200. The eXplorist is a better choice for hiking
than the Meridian because of its compact size and the 400 has expandable
memory.

Also in your price range is the Lowrance iFinder H20 Plus. It's probably
the the best GPS unit of the bunch as far as reception, has an
expandable memory card and comes with the mapping software included in
the price. The greyscale ("black & white") screen has far better
resolution than the Magellan greyscale units and slightly better
resolution than the Garmin Greyscale units. The only drawback is that
the unit doesn't do auto routing, but it does have a database of
millions of services and businesses and will point you there.

Hope this helps,
BS

miedvied

Dec 18, 2005, 7:05:26 PM12/18/05
Guido wrote:
> miedvied wrote:
>
>> What I'm looking for is a fairly simple, preferably memory-expandable
>> GPS reciever. I want it primarily for hiking use, though I'd like
>> something with automatic address routing, so I can use it in the city
>> when need be (though I don't need a huge color screen and voice
>> signals and so on for this.) My price limit is around 200 - 250
>>
>> At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magellan Meridian Gold, as I've
>> been told that with DirectRoute MapSend or somesuch program it gains
>> address routing. Any advice from the more experienced here?
>

> This may be a matter of preference, but I'm more partial to Garmin GPS
> units. I use a Garmin Geko 201 for all my driving and hiking. When
> driving, I hook it into a laptop and use the nRoute software which works
> with MapSource... of course, if you don't have a laptop, that might not
> work so well.
> For hiking, the Geko 201 works quite well as a cross-reference with your
> maps, as well as tracking your track through the woods. It's a very
> basic GPS in that it doesn't use downloaded maps - hence why I use it in
> conjunction with the laptop in the car (not to mention it's much easier
> to read, that way).
>
> A friend of mine uses the eTrex Legend, which may be more along the
> lines of what you're looking for with maps and routing. He uses it for
> driving on long trips and for when we go GeoCaching
> (http://www.geocaching.com).

Is 24MB enough for a major metropolitan area? (I regularly drive Staten
Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhatten, and bits of north New Jersey).

miedvied

Dec 18, 2005, 8:16:35 PM12/18/05

Could anyone explain to me the difference between Garmin's "City Select"
software and "City Navigator" software? They look identical to me.

John Decker

Dec 19, 2005, 10:13:58 PM12/19/05
In article <43A55A60...@att.net>, Brian Sniatkowski says...

<snip...>

Costco's price is too high. Below is a excellent price for the Magellan
eXplorist 400.
I am not sure if the price includes mapping software, though. With rebate, the
price is $177.95 with
probably no tax and the shipping and handling may be free. There is a telephone
number
on the webpage below for you to verify the price and shipping
cost. I would, however check on the return policy and restocking
fee, if any.

http://tinyurl.com/bwaw8

JD

hungrrydoc

Dec 25, 2005, 5:20:41 PM12/25/05

Brian Sniatkowski

Dec 26, 2005, 9:52:52 AM12/26/05
miedvied wrote:

> Could anyone explain to me the difference between Garmin's "City Select"
> software and "City Navigator" software? They look identical to me.

City Select has its map data in much smaller chunks than City Navigator.
This means City Select is easier to customize by selecting only those
areas you want to download to your unit. City Navigator's map chunks
are around 24 megs (some more and some less) so it is not appropriate
for most of the Garmin handhenlds. Its more for the Streetpilot and
similar units.

Brian Sniatkowski

Dec 26, 2005, 9:57:51 AM12/26/05
John Decker wrote:

Costco's price includes the mapping software which lists for $149 so it
is a very good deal. The unit in link you provided does not include the
maps so $177 + $149 comes to way more than $200.

bg4a

Jan 1, 2006, 6:55:27 AM1/1/06
I've had a Magellan colorTrack now for about a year with MapSend and
DirectRoute. As I usually hike marked trails, it has been only particularly
useful early in July above treeline (on snow & fog) where the trail couldn't
be found. That said, you have to guestimate where the trail is before hand
and put in key waypoints so you know where to go. I have not found (don't
know how to find) tracks to download for the trails I set out to hike into
Mapsend and download to the unit. Magellan's map hase forest roads, ets,
but not trails. This is a major draw back for me. But, like I said, I use
National Geographic to approximate where the trail is and drop wieghpoints
onto the MapSend topo maps then download to the ColorTrack. Another way to
do this is to use the new Google Earth, estimate your path, drop Lat / Long
on the Google earth, then note the lat/long for later placement onto
Mapsend -> Colortrack.

I find the ColorTrack very nice for driving to where I've never been before.
Noting however, that sometimes, the highways aren't where they are supposed
to be. Some of this is because where roads were finally laid down isn't
where they were first planned. I don't believe this "error" has to do with
Magellan reception. I once found a rental car key in a corn field, two days
later, by going to a waypoint I had set. The Sport Trak was accurate to in
re-locating the key, right where we had dropped it.

I use lithium batteries and am happy with battery life. I took it kayaking
a few weeks ago and got a low battery alarm that was unexpected. On opening
the back, I expected to see dampness in the battery compartment, but all was
dry.

In general, I know only the Magellan, not the other brands, having selected
Magellan based on my experience with commercial use of their other products.
I do not like the fact that the power / communications connector is on the
back, very much getting in the way of hip holsters or in-car dash holders.

bye, bill

"hungrrydoc" <robert...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gary S.

Jan 4, 2006, 9:34:41 PM1/4/06
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:16:35 GMT, miedvied <mied...@spamspamsapm.com>
wrote:

>Could anyone explain to me the difference between Garmin's "City Select"
> software and "City Navigator" software? They look identical to me.

IIRC, one of them does autorouting, IF loaded into a GPS unit also
capable of autorouting.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Dan Anderson

Jan 5, 2006, 12:08:03 PM1/5/06
Gary S. wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:16:35 GMT, miedvied <mied...@spamspamsapm.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Could anyone explain to me the difference between Garmin's "City Select"
>> software and "City Navigator" software? They look identical to me.
>

> IIRC, one of them does autorouting, IF loaded into a GPS unit also
> capable of autorouting.
> Happy trails,
> Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Both City Select and City Navigator auto route on Garmin receivers
that support it. Later versions of Metroguide do not support
auto routing on the receiver, only on the PC.

Because CS and CN are similar, Garmin has plans to eliminate
CS. They will need to reduce the map chunk size in CN if
they do eliminate CS.

There were reports that at one time CN had a bit more detailed
information on road junctions than CS. Things such as
roundabouts being better defined, no left turns from
4 to 6 pm, etc. I don't know if it's true of current versions.
As another poster noted, don't get CN version 7 which as a few
map chunks greater than 24 mb if you have a Legend C or Vista C.

Dan
(email change 2001 to 2004)