Hiker rescued because of emergency beacon

Pat

Jan 6, 2007, 3:25:07 PM1/6/07
BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK -- A climber stuck on the edge of a rock base in the
backcountry of Big Bend National Park used a personal locator beacon to
summon help. The 48-year-old San Antonio man was found safe on New Year's
Eve, spotted by a Texas Department of Safety helicopter after park rangers
were unable to locate him. The U.S. Air Force had picked up his signal Dec.
30. David Elkowitz, the park's acting superintendent, said the rescue could
affect park procedure. The rescue was the first time a personal locator
beacon had been used by a hiker in the remote park to call for help.
Cellphone coverage is limited in the park.

-- The Associated Press

Hmm, I think I'll look into buying a locator beacon.

Pat in TX

Andrew Priest

Jan 7, 2007, 7:06:03 AM1/7/07
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:25:07 -0600, "Pat" <P...@faraway.com> wrote:

>Hmm, I think I'll look into buying a locator beacon.

I carry one all the time bushwalking. We call them EPIRBs but they are
the same thing.

Andrew