~~ rephlex ~~ aphex ~~ drn ~~

Benjamin Middleton

Oct 30, 1992, 12:44:11 PM10/30/92

I thought it was about time I wrote to the
entire group about my connections with the
ApheX tWin - as I continually get sent
individual requests for information. Ahhh!

Richard (AFX) James has been producing
music since he was 12 - I have seen him.
He worked in his bedroom in a modern
bungalow in Lanner, Cornwall.

His setup was bizarre to say the least.
Casio FZ-10M, DX-100 (missing keys'n'all),
SH-101, Quadraverb, Atari 520ST with bust
keyboard(!), odd keyboards, bits of old
electrical equipment, 8+ turntables, one
borrowed mixer(!), bits of audio gear (all
cleverly balanced on some lucozade cans,
hand-sprayed JBL's suspended from ceiling
by industrial strength chain. The list
continues...

Digeridoo was recorded initially for the
benefit of FIZZ-BOMB (at the Shire Horse,
St Ives, Cornwall). He DJ'ed with my
brother (Tom) both here and at the Bowgie
Inn (Crantock, Newquay, Cornwall) - not
to mention the numerous beaches around
the county.

The original Pacman (never released) was
recorded off an arcade machine in Newquay
The original is 100x better than the
choci remix on yellow vinyl.

AFX released several of his original
recordings on Rephlex Records, London -
indeed, Richard himself resampled bits
for R+S from these Rephlex Records (or
that what it sounds like on the R+S
release).

Richard now lives in Islington, London,
and continues to do work for Rephlex
Records (under the name Caustic Window).

His first record was a joint project with
himself and my brother for Mighty Force
Records (Exeter, Devon) - the Analogue
Bubblebath EP (En Trance to Exit was
Tom's idea!).

Tom continues to do work for Mighty Force
(he had his Schizophrenia - My Splendid
Idea released by them). Tom now works with
Mark Pritchard (formerly SHAFT - Rhubarb +
Custard) on Evolution Records (run by Tom
and Mark). This new label has gained alot
of respect in London (indeed their latest
release Global Communication - Sublime
Creation has received a 5 * rating in Mix
Mag. Just goes to show that good music

This just about sums up my connection with
the twin. If you need further information,
I will answer any mail.

NB: Rephlex Records is continually on the
lokk out for new talent in the techno field.
If you've got any demo-tapes, I can supply
an address.

HX-PRO - drn - bass mechanic - pattern avenger

~~~ cs9...@brunel.ac.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ hx-pro ~~~

guru

Nov 2, 1992, 1:15:24 PM11/2/92
In article <Bwy3x...@brunel.ac.uk> cs9...@brunel.ac.uk (Benjamin Middleton) writes:

> I thought it was about time I wrote to the
> entire group about my connections with the
> ApheX tWin - as I continually get sent
> individual requests for information. Ahhh!

guru sez:
whoah! My eyes! Anyone else got a screen configured to 45 chars?
--
/~~~) / / /~~~) / /
(___/ (___/ / (___/ These mind-expanding drugs have given me so much

Joe Thomas

Nov 2, 1992, 7:41:54 PM11/2/92
In article <Bwy3x...@brunel.ac.uk> cs9...@brunel.ac.uk (Benjamin Middleton) writes:

> I thought it was about time I wrote to the
> entire group about my connections with the
> ApheX tWin - as I continually get sent
> individual requests for information. Ahhh!

Well, I hate to further compound the problem, but I was actually
going to query everyone on the newsgroup about the Aphex Twin, among
others (see what'll be my next message, I expect, unless I get a reply or
something). I'm all the way out in Washington, DC, but I'd heard great
things about the Analogue Bubblebath EP this summer, and I was going to
ask what recordings were the best for the initiate to get, and which (if
any) have been released on CD. God only knows if I'll be able to find them
once I know, but suffice to say I doubt I'll get a more informed source!
Drop a line whenever you get a chance, it'll be greatly appreciated...
Joe Thomas

Joe Thomas

Nov 2, 1992, 8:22:32 PM11/2/92
Newsgroups: alt.rave
Subject: New (well...) stuff
Yes, I guess for the UK users the heading may be a little
laughable, but does anyone have any quick information on the Aphex Twin
(though I think my question may have been answered on that), Wishdockta,
or Suburban Bass? By information I mean a rough description of their
sound, best tracks to start with, and availability on CD. Also, if I'm
totally misguided on these leads (I confess to never knowingly having heard
any of them, other than good things from various sources), if someone
could suggest better choices along the same lines...?

As for we Yanks and our chronic sloth on keeping up with new
releases, keep in mind that it's damned hard to find anyone who'll import
new and untested music after it's just been released, and and even when
they do -- months later -- it's still crushingly expensive (well, for
those with student loans to pay off). I live just outside DC, and no
offense to the faithful (12"s Dance, MusicNow, Olssen's occasionally),
you're lucky to find a good 3- or 4-track EP for less than $12 -- ok,
granted, about six pounds, which isn't unusual, but it's still a bit rich
for my blood...

While on the subject of "imports" (great ephemeral word for this
newsgroup), is the Prodigy's "Android" EP still available in the UK? (Yes,
I know, it's ancient, but you can't find the damn thing anywhere over here!)

Joe Thomas