Re(2): Re(2): death of rave

Paul Sebastien

Mar 12, 1994, 10:47:36 PM3/12/94
Agreed!!! You are right on. Raves in the current sense *have* become
embarassing.

10101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101
1 1
1 Bitstream Underground 1
1 modem(612)545-1831 1
1 1
10101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101

Dave Walker

Mar 14, 1994, 11:32:34 AM3/14/94
Paul Sebastien drove Bus
#<73858659...@bitstream.bitstream.mpls.mn.us> onto the Information
Highway:

: Agreed!!! You are right on. Raves in the current sense *have* become
: embarassing.

I feel for you guys, I really do, but it really cheeses me off to
see people proclaiming that "raves are dead" just because they
don't like the scene in their own little neck of the woods. The
last three weekends in a row I've damn near reached an exalted
state dancing to marvelous music in rundown buildings. Here's
a tip: stop standing around dissecting what's "wrong" with
raves; get off your ass and _dance_ a while and you might
just rediscover the magic.

--
| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS) |
| |

Mr Andrew John Kale

Mar 14, 1994, 4:44:00 PM3/14/94
Pa...@bitstream.mpls.mn.us (Paul Sebastien) writes:

>Agreed!!! You are right on. Raves in the current sense *have* become
>embarassing.

Watch out behind you - the MegaDog's comin' to get ya!

You don't know what you're missing in the States - just wait 'til the Midi
Circus goes global (here's hoping not - they'll spend less time in London!)

gerald wenzel

Mar 14, 1994, 8:13:34 PM3/14/94
In article <2m23j2$2...@nigel.msen.com>,

Dave Walker <marm...@garnet.msen.com> wrote:
>Paul Sebastien drove Bus
>#<73858659...@bitstream.bitstream.mpls.mn.us> onto the Information
>Highway:
>
>: Agreed!!! You are right on. Raves in the current sense *have* become
>: embarassing.
>
>I feel for you guys, I really do, but it really cheeses me off to
>see people proclaiming that "raves are dead" just because they
>don't like the scene in their own little neck of the woods. The
>last three weekends in a row I've damn near reached an exalted
>state dancing to marvelous music in rundown buildings. Here's
>a tip: stop standing around dissecting what's "wrong" with
>raves; get off your ass and _dance_ a while and you might
>just rediscover the magic.

x there is no "magic" to rediscover because there is NOTHING NEW..
I think a "rave" was originally designed to be something innovative,
that people hadn't done before.. something fresh and fly. Now the crowds
are so entrenched and resistant to change.. why do all promoters still
follow that same tired format:

rent a cheap warehouse
rent a sound system, lights etc.
get local DJ's and one out of town one (to lend credibility?)
to spin purely TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO music (I haven't heard any
soul/acid jazz/ragga/deep house or even any breakbeat here in
ages!!)

No one buys into those computer graphics and claims of having
this and that DJ or this and that whatever... when the stuff first came
out, it was NEW and ORIGINAL, well guess what it's been about SIX YEARS
now since underground clubs first got going in America - these clubs
stayed pretty cool until they stagnated.. I remember reading an article
about that scene in Insight magazine back in early 91, they talked about
how the scene was all illegal (they'd just break into a warehouse) and
have funky performance art to attract people.. that scene has totally
lost its hip appeal, unless it goes underground and radically reinvents
itself (which won't happen) it will die. It SHOULD die..

Dave Walker

Mar 15, 1994, 9:01:27 AM3/15/94
gerald wenzel drove Bus #<1994Mar15.011334.58040@yuma> onto the
Information Highway:

: x there is no "magic" to rediscover because there is NOTHING NEW..

: I think a "rave" was originally designed to be something innovative,
: that people hadn't done before.. something fresh and fly. Now the crowds
: are so entrenched and resistant to change.. why do all promoters still
: follow that same tired format:

Ach! You guys are _too hung up on the format_. I personally don't give a
flying fornication about lights, online terminals on the dance floors, VR,
or any of the other rot some people are convinced has to go along with
a rave. This is only my opinion, but the _most_ important thing will
always be the music, the dancers, and the vibe. All that other stuff is
basically frosting -- it's fine if its there, but if you don't have
music and a vibe you're just intellectually jerking yourself off.

: rent a cheap warehouse

: rent a sound system, lights etc.
: get local DJ's and one out of town one (to lend credibility?)
: to spin purely TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO music (I haven't heard any
: soul/acid jazz/ragga/deep house or even any breakbeat here in
: ages!!)

Scream at your local promoters, and at the DJ's. Throw your own event, if
that's what it takes. But don't interpret the dearth of imagination in
your local scene as some kind of "GLOBAL DEATH OF RAVE CULTURE", 'cuz I'm
not buying it.

: No one buys into those computer graphics and claims of having

: this and that DJ or this and that whatever... when the stuff first came
: out, it was NEW and ORIGINAL, well guess what it's been about SIX YEARS
: now since underground clubs first got going in America - these clubs
: stayed pretty cool until they stagnated.. I remember reading an article
: about that scene in Insight magazine back in early 91, they talked about
: how the scene was all illegal (they'd just break into a warehouse) and
: have funky performance art to attract people.. that scene has totally
: lost its hip appeal, unless it goes underground and radically reinvents
: itself (which won't happen) it will die. It SHOULD die..

Whatever. While you guys are sitting around crying in your Zima about
"what went wrong", those of us in places where the music is still the
thing will continue dancing all night and loving every minute of it.

--
| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS) |
| |

| marm...@msen.com Has anyone seen Sara? |

cir...@maple.circa.ufl.edu

Mar 15, 1994, 10:26:07 AM3/15/94
In article <1994Mar15.011334.58040@yuma>, wen...@CS.ColoState.EDU (gerald
wenzel) writes:
>In article <2m23j2$2...@nigel.msen.com>,
>Dave Walker <marm...@garnet.msen.com> wrote:
>>Paul Sebastien drove Bus
>>#<73858659...@bitstream.bitstream.mpls.mn.us> onto the Information
>>Highway:
>>
>>: Agreed!!! You are right on. Raves in the current sense *have* become
>>: embarassing.
>>
>>I feel for you guys, I really do, but it really cheeses me off to
>>see people proclaiming that "raves are dead" just because they
>>don't like the scene in their own little neck of the woods. The
>>last three weekends in a row I've damn near reached an exalted
>>state dancing to marvelous music in rundown buildings. Here's

>there is no "magic" to rediscover because there is NOTHING NEW..
>I think a "rave" was originally designed to be something innovative,
>that people hadn't done before.. something fresh and fly. Now the crowds

>... when the stuff first came
>out, it was NEW and ORIGINAL, well guess what it's been about SIX YEARS

> that scene has totally
>lost its hip appeal, unless it goes underground and radically reinvents
>itself (which won't happen) it will die. It SHOULD die..

So it has to be new to be good? Please. I agree totally with Dave
Walker. Some of us still find there is magic there. It's ridiculous,
to me at least, to say that "rave is dead" because it's no longer totally
"original." I do hope the scene keeps evolving and changing, but the
basic idea of a one-off all-night DIY dance party with neat visuals and
music is, to me, pretty durable.

If it has "lost its hip appeal" to you,
then I suggest you are a "hipster" who is not in search of a plain old
good time, but is looking for this year's new fad. In that case, I
think you SHOULD leave rave behind, to those of us who still care about
it, and go find something "trendy" and "cutting-edge" to do...

--Max
t R A V E l e r

<<Let the rhythm be your guiding light>>