Notes on the Run...Project Blowed

Oliver S Wang

Sep 6, 1994, 3:02:04 AM9/6/94
Project Blowed...what's the code...

***Another Kool Kim/D-Mad collaboration***

People who plan to compare this album to Nor Cal's "The Bomb Compilation"
best put their pens down... There is little comparison. The Bomb had a
fine compilation that showcased different talent from the Bay Area...as
it is, every track is different and stands on it's on. Project Blowed is
just that...a project, put out by two individuals primarily. The final
product then is much more cohesive and the whole album flows as one, not
as 12 pieces assembled into one.

I'll let Kool Kim give you the background...

Project Blowed is the brainchild of Aceyalone, a member of
the now defunct Freestyle Fellowship. Along with Abstract Rude
(ATU-Abstract Tribe Unique), this compilation was born to showcase the
Los Angeles underground; many of whom have risen to prominence from their
stints at the Goodlife Cafe. The Goodlife, a healthfood joint by day,
tranforms every Thursday night into it's underground alter-ego.
Independently released and distributed, Project Blowed compiles some of
the best and brightest up-and-comers this side of the Mississippi. ATU,
you saw in Rap Pages, so you know a little about them already. Volume 10
is no secret. Nefertiti released her album L.I.F.E. on Mercury
recently. Jupiter and Peace appear as former members of the Fellowship
shop, while Aceyalone and Mikah 9 with solo deals on Capitol Records
round out the Los Angeles underground pillar known as Freestyle
Fellowship. Figures of Speech, also featured in Rap Pages, are a two
female crew straight Pac-10 representin' outta UCLA. CoCo and Medusa
comprise S.I.N. currently making papes on the East/West Records roster.
The Nonce is on a small indie label, Wild West, and are about to drop a
new single called "From the Ground Up." T-Love and BJ were once Urban
Prop, who as a result of the Capitol Records overhaul, did not remain to
drop their heavily anticipated album in Los Angeles. The rest I know
little about...Sorry. Just as a side note: It seems that the first
Freestyle Fellowship album, "To Whom It May Concern", released on a
limited basis primarily in L.A. (I saw it on vinyl for $80; THAT RARE!)
is being re-released...

-Kool Kim

As for the album itself...it has a very experimental feel, both musically
and lyrically. What I mean is that it's some other sh*t. Pure and
simple. Weird sampling, electronic noises and other unorthodox
production comes in and out of the different songs. Lyrically, this
ain't your typical sh*t...most of the rappers go out of their way to
avoid conventional styles...imagine an entire album of people trying to
outdo Saafir and E 40 for rhyme style.

This album has something for almost anyone looking for something new and
fat in hip hop. I like this album a lot, if for nothing else b/c it's
trying to take hip hop to another level.

Outstanding Cuts:

Hot (Freestyle Fellowshop)-Not your typical posse jam...it's more of a
spoken-word over live jazz. It's works though...

Ni**uzn Blak (Lil Juffsta)-Slow, mackadocious and fat as hell. Lil
Juffsta has a deep, Scarface-type voice and the track just pimps along
will Juffsta gives a big middle finger to racists world wide... "Ni**uzn
Blak don't die...got a racist in the center of my bullseye."

All Balls Don'T Bounce (Aceyalone). Produced by Nonce (Mix Tapes) this
track has that experimental feel to it, literally...jazzy but on some
weird science tip. Swings hard. Aceyalone draws lyrics out of some hip
hop psychoplasm...fat.

I don't know when this album will become available to the general public
(thanks Kool Kim!!!) but ya'll should snap this sh*t up. Is it the
future of hip hop? Maybe not, but in the present day...I ain't tripping.

Peace,

O-D.U.B.
no APAthy

Gene Thomas Kim Whitney

Sep 6, 1994, 3:43:38 AM9/6/94
For anyone interested in Project Blowed, contact...

PROJECT BLOWED
P.O. Box 1385
Culver City, CA 90232