BET's east vs west rapoff?

Andre

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
A few weeks ago I caught the end of a promo on BET that said something
about an East Coast versus West Coast rap off. Did anyone else catch
this? Anyway, it is supposed to have the best from each coast go up
against each other to see who was the best. Like I said, I caught the
end of it but it did say that KRS-1 would face off with Ice Cube.

I'm a die hard East Coaster so I'm bais as all hell.

Dre

Mr. Hyde

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <4lk8ks$1...@usafa2.usafa.af.mil>, Andre
<Arauj...@usafa.af.mil> wrote:

Just from the fact that it is BET, it's safe to say many of the best MCs
will be overlooked, if not all.

"I circumnavigate the globe with a one-liner like Latitude"
-Ras Kass from "Riot"

Mr. Hyde
Box 2705 Brown Univ.
Providence, RI 02912
Kennet...@Brown.edu

Check me out:
http://www.netspace.org/~sureel

and the Hip-Hop Sector:
http://www.netspace.org/~sureel/warning.html

Ra6668

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Krs1 vs Ice Cube I like dat. Let's see what else would be a good battle?
Snoop vs. Method Man. Kurupt vs. Redman. Ras Kass vs. Nas. Rage vs. L'
Boogie. I can't think of any other west coast rappers to against people
like Keith Murray, Jamal, and A.z.

TOE UP3344

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

From the West I'd put Richie Rich up in there against any of those MC's.
Well...the old Richie Rich from that group: 415. He sounds a little weeded
these days....

Redz

"Legalize & I'll advertise"
-Keith Murray

"Black and White got game. If you came to the jam, well I'm glad ya came"
-Tribe

"I can't be stopped cause I gotta come thru, ain't got no gun but I got my
crew."
-Goodie Mob

Loklass

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <4lm9cd$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, toeu...@aol.com (TOE
UP3344) writes:

>From the West I'd put Richie Rich up in there against any of those MC's.
>Well...the old Richie Rich from that group: 415. He sounds a little
weeded
>these days....

I respect your opinion and I respect Richie Rich for his longevity, but
please tell me that you aren't serious. How could Richie Rich lyrically
serve the MC's listed in the previous message? Sure, he has a nice sound,
but his flow and lyrics are really weak. He would get smacked the fuck up.
Maybe if this was the 415 days and he was competing with others from that
era, it'd be a contest. There are *SO* many dope MC's on the West and how
you could choose Richie Rich above them baffles me. Oh, well, "to each his
own"...

Peace

Loklass
El Papichulo Cubano

manhattan killa/rhymezilla

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

On 24 Apr 1996, Ra6668 wrote:

> Krs1 vs Ice Cube I like dat. Let's see what else would be a good battle?
> Snoop vs. Method Man. Kurupt vs. Redman. Ras Kass vs. Nas. Rage vs. L'
> Boogie.

rage is from farmville, VA

TOE UP3344

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
:>From the West I'd put Richie Rich up in there against any of those MC's.

:>Well...the old Richie Rich from that group: 415. He sounds a little
:weeded
:>these days....

:I respect your opinion and I respect Richie Rich for his longevity, but
:please tell me that you aren't serious. How could Richie Rich lyrically
:serve the MC's listed in the previous message? Sure, he has a nice sound,
:but his flow and lyrics are really weak. He would get smacked the fuck
up.
:Maybe if this was the 415 days and he was competing with others from that
:era, it'd be a contest. There are *SO* many dope MC's on the West and how
:you could choose Richie Rich above them baffles me. Oh, well, "to each
his
:own"...

I know what you're saying & maybe I was a little hasty in that selection,
but I'm telling you...I saw Richie Rich freestyle off the dome in the
summer of 1990 somewhere in Oakland..I wanna say up E. 14 ST somewhere and
the shit was amazing. That brother could flow endlessly off the dome. That
is what we're talking about, right? A freestyle battle?

Loklass

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
In article <4lnutc$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, toeu...@aol.com (TOE
UP3344) writes:

>I know what you're saying & maybe I was a little hasty in that selection,
>but I'm telling you...I saw Richie Rich freestyle off the dome in the
>summer of 1990 somewhere in Oakland..I wanna say up E. 14 ST somewhere
and
>the shit was amazing. That brother could flow endlessly off the dome.
That
>is what we're talking about, right? A freestyle battle?

Anyone could flow endlessly off the dome rhyming about the stuff he does
- example: "I'm flowin' so tight, smokin' a sack, drinkin' yak, bustin' up
niggas with this track that's so phat". There are CRAZY freestylers out
West that would just rip kids up, and they're not from the G-crowd where
Richie Rich resides.

TOE UP3344

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

:Anyone could flow endlessly off the dome rhyming about the stuff he does
:- example: "I'm flowin' so tight, smokin' a sack, drinkin' yak

Whatever..all I know is I FELT that brother listening to his clever-ass
freestyle. By the way..yak is something you smoke, my brother.

Loklass

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <4lqui9$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, toeu...@aol.com (TOE
UP3344) writes:

>Whatever..all I know is I FELT that brother listening to his clever-ass
>freestyle. By the way..yak is something you smoke, my brother.

Well, then I respect your feelings, Redz.

I've never heard of "'yack" being used as a term for something you smoke.
Everyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard it used as being
slang/short for cogniac liquor. I can't think of any reason why you would
smoke "'yack". It makes absolutely no sense.

I've heard so many cuts where peeps are saying, "sippin' on 'yack",
"drinkin' 'yack", etc. No one uses it around here, though. I've only heard
it coming from the West. In fact, Coolio says it in his verse from "The
Points":

I shot dice with a preacher, drank 'yack with a pastor
So it's me, myself, and I 'lo, my own lord and master

nafis munir abdullah!

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

> Whatever..all I know is I FELT that brother listening to his clever-ass
> freestyle. By the way..yak is something you smoke, my brother.

Sorry, yak is cognac, bruh.
-----
Nafis Munir Abdullah
nmab...@students.uiuc.edu
Free Brother Mumia Abu-Jamal and all political prisoners!
Peace to the Original Man of the Planet Earth!
"Herb - the healing of a nation. Keep you healthy, mind clear.
The more people smoke herb, the more Babylon fall..."
-Robert Nesta Marley
"24 karats, countin' cabbage like the Arabs,
The marriage of me and the mike is just like magic,
Elegant performance, bubble Lex, full insurance,
Guzzlin' Guinness, shootin', catchin' cases concurrent..."
-Nasty Nas

TOE UP3344

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

>I shot dice with a preacher, drank 'yack with a pastor
>So it's me, myself, and I 'lo, my own lord and master

Ok...I guess the West uses "Yack" as slang for Cognac. Makes sense. Out
here on the East coast or at least in DC, "Yak" is slang for crack
cocaine, along with "yay" and "yayo"

Jesse A McDonald

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

: >I shot dice with a preacher, drank 'yack with a pastor

: >So it's me, myself, and I 'lo, my own lord and master
: Ok...I guess the West uses "Yack" as slang for Cognac. Makes sense. Out
: here on the East coast or at least in DC, "Yak" is slang for crack
: cocaine, along with "yay" and "yayo"

Yayo = llello

--
Jesse McDonald http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ad309/Profile.html