What are we doing here?

Jim

Jun 5, 2002, 12:11:43 AM6/5/02
Why do we come here?

What do you like? Let's NOT get into what we don't like.

I'll start:

I like the quality of some of the posters for general topics. You never
know what you'll find here.

I like Otis's recaps. Thanks for your hard work.

I like some of the links I've found here. Some of my favorites:
www.landoverbaptist.org/
www.pornolize.com/
www.capalert.com/
If you haven't been to these, try them out. Add some to the list.

Every once in a while there is even a comment on Dr. Laura's show. It
seems they are getting fewer and fewer. When she gets rolling, she is
such a bitch, she's funny. Who can't laugh at such a hypocrite?

I know some out there will have trouble communicating, let's try our best...
Why do YOU come here?

Jim

Tinas49ers

Jun 5, 2002, 12:36:00 AM6/5/02
>From: Jim Jim

>Why do YOU come here?

Using Clave's moronic way of thinking...cuz I can.

Tin@

God is like Hallmark, He cares to send His very best!

Clave

Jun 5, 2002, 12:41:51 AM6/5/02
"Tinas49ers" <tinas...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >From: Jim Jim
>
> >Why do YOU come here?
>
> Using Clave's moronic way of thinking...

Beats yours.

Jim

Tinas49ers

Jun 5, 2002, 1:00:10 AM6/5/02
>From: "Clave"

Really? Why do you think I come here?

Clave

Jun 5, 2002, 1:03:41 AM6/5/02

> >From: "Clave"
>

> >"Tinas49ers" <tinas...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> Using Clave's moronic way of thinking...
> >
> >Beats yours.
>
> Really? Why do you think I come here?

You just told me what I thought. Answer using your *own* thinking, assuming
such exists.

Jim

Tinas49ers

Jun 5, 2002, 1:24:44 AM6/5/02
>From: "Clave"

>You just told me what I thought. Answer using your *own* thinking, assuming
>such exists.

Of course I have my own thinking. I'm asking what you think. Do you not know
what you think?

Bill Bonde

Jun 5, 2002, 1:25:09 AM6/5/02

Tinas49ers wrote:

> >From: "Clave"
>

> >"Tinas49ers" <tinas...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> Using Clave's moronic way of thinking...
> >
> >Beats yours.
> >
> >Jim
> >

> Really? Why do you think I come here?

To insult people.

Bill Bonde

Jun 5, 2002, 1:32:20 AM6/5/02

Tinas49ers wrote:

> >From: "Clave"
>

> >You just told me what I thought. Answer using your *own* thinking, assuming
> >such exists.
>
> Of course I have my own thinking.

Of course?

Clave

Jun 5, 2002, 1:30:37 AM6/5/02

> >From: "Clave"
>

> >You just told me what I thought. Answer using your *own* thinking,
> >assuming such exists.
>
> Of course I have my own thinking. I'm asking what you think. Do you
> not know what you think?

Sure I do, and it's not what you think I think. I think you come here because
you're a very sad, hateful person who'll take negative attention over none at
all.

Jesus must not be very good company.

Jim

Tinas49ers

Jun 5, 2002, 8:40:22 AM6/5/02
>From: Bill Bonde

Nope, that's just a side benefit when dealing with people such as yourself.

Tinas49ers

Jun 5, 2002, 8:42:01 AM6/5/02
>From: "Clave"

>Sure I do, and it's not what you think I think. I think you come here
>because
>you're a very sad, hateful person who'll take negative attention over none at
>all.

You couldn't be further from reality. Sad and hateful are 2 things that I am
simply not.

>Jesus must not be very good company.

I guess you wouldnt know firsthand.

Clave

Jun 5, 2002, 1:36:03 PM6/5/02

> >From: "Clave"
>
> >Sure I do, and it's not what you think I think. I think you come here
> >because you're a very sad, hateful person who'll take negative attention
> >over none at all.
>
> You couldn't be further from reality. Sad and hateful are 2 things that I am
> simply not.

You asked me what I thought, and nothing you've said today has changed it.

Jim

Bill Bonde

Jun 5, 2002, 1:55:51 PM6/5/02

Geez, you figured something out.

Clave

Jun 5, 2002, 2:09:23 PM6/5/02
"Bill Bonde" <sst...@space.com> wrote in message

I had her, and you, for that matter, figured out after the first half-dozen of
your posts I'd read.

In retrospect, it shouldn't have taken that long in either case.

Jim

Jim

Jun 5, 2002, 11:38:10 PM6/5/02

This is going to be harder than I thought.

Let's try again..
Any one run into any good websites lately?

Got anything to say that is a complete sentence?

Jim

Br...@watchrock.net

Jun 6, 2002, 12:41:36 AM6/6/02
In article <3CFF81AA...@Hotmail.com>, Jim wrote:

> This is going to be harder than I thought.

> Let's try again..
> Any one run into any good websites lately?

> Got anything to say that is a complete sentence?

Nope.

--
Brien
bsull...@nyc.rr.com

Ian Crowe

Jun 6, 2002, 8:56:01 AM6/6/02

"Jim" <J...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

What is it you are looking for Jim? Why are you interested in why people
are here? For the record the reasons you list are much the same reasons I
stick around but I really don't see how that is of much interest to anybody.

Ian

Jim

Jun 7, 2002, 12:26:29 AM6/7/02

I guess there's not much more to say about Dr. Laura's show that hasn't
been said already. There is little material on topic except Otis's
recaps.

I have found some great web sites here, and was hoping that someone
would add some. Where else could you find out about the existence of
"Pornolize.com"?

THAT'S why I come here. Looking to find something interesting to read,
or laugh at. I was hoping I'd stimulate something.

Jim

Jim

Jun 7, 2002, 12:42:32 AM6/7/02
Ian Crowe wrote:

> What is it you are looking for Jim? Why are you interested in why people
> are here? For the record the reasons you list are much the same reasons I
> stick around but I really don't see how that is of much interest to anybody.
>
> Ian

I guess there's not much more to say about Dr. Laura's show that hasn't

been said already. There is little material on topic except Otis's
recaps.

I have found some great web sites here, and was hoping that someone
would add some. Where else could you find out about the existence of
"Pornolize.com"?

THAT'S why I come here. Looking to find something interesting to read,
or laugh at.

The direction here seems to be political. I was hoping I'd stimulate
something, maybe steering it on topic if possible.

Jim

cmartin

Jun 7, 2002, 9:34:11 AM6/7/02
In article <3D00E243...@Hotmail.com>, Jim says...

>Ian Crowe wrote:
>
>> What is it you are looking for Jim? Why are you interested in why people
>> are here? For the record the reasons you list are much the same reasons I
>> stick around but I really don't see how that is of much interest to anybody.
>>
>> Ian
>
>I guess there's not much more to say about Dr. Laura's show that hasn't
>been said already. There is little material on topic except Otis's
>recaps.

I'm with Jim: The OT crap bums me out too, and it's driven off a lot of the
posters whose comments I enjoy reading. I wouldn't mind the OT stuff so much if
it had a point, but it's too much snarking and trolling, and too little
substance.

>I have found some great web sites here, and was hoping that someone
>would add some. Where else could you find out about the existence of
>"Pornolize.com"?

Daypop.com
Blogdex.media.mit.edu
memepool.com
unknownnews.net
jonno.com

>THAT'S why I come here. Looking to find something interesting to read,
>or laugh at.
>
>The direction here seems to be political.

Tim, dk and Clave (some others, but those are among the articulate posters who
keep my hopes up for this ng) try to yank it in that direction, but then the
troglodytes drag it back down to the monosyllables and insults they understand
best.

I was hoping I'd stimulate
>something, maybe steering it on topic if possible.

You get points for trying, although I'm with Ian. It's better to talk about an
issue instead of asking what we're doing here. (We're wasting time! Duh!)
Fretting over what we're doing here is more than a little like being....hey. Did
you ever look at your hand? I mean, really LOOK at your hand?

If you know what I mean.

Joy in Virginia

Jun 7, 2002, 5:14:34 PM6/7/02
Jim <J...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3CFE37F0...@Hotmail.com>...

> Why do we come here?
> What do you like? Let's NOT get into what we don't like.
snip
> Jim

I like Otis recaps. Once in a while I hear a snippet of the DL show
and like to comment. Once in a while I even AGREE with DL! It is
always fun to make fun of clueless callers and DL's Tough Love advice
to them.

And here is a shocking website:
http://www.theplan.com/dmi/disp/dispframe.htm
If you want to know what Disposophobia is and want to see shocking
pictures, check out this site.

Joy in Virginia

Jun 8, 2002, 12:06:14 PM6/8/02

> I know some out there will have trouble communicating, let's try our

best...
> Why do YOU come here?

This took me a while because I really wanted to think about it.

Here are my reasons:

1. I like the people

2. I enjoy talking about subjects that are charged or taboo with family
members and friends.

3. Stimulation ( the intellectual kind.)

4.I'm not religious, I don't use a book as a moral guideline for my life, so
I like to hear what other people think about
certain issues. I like hearing more than one side.

5. I dislike DL and enjoy like-minded company (of course)

6. All the reasons you listed. I've found some great websites I would have
never found if they weren't posted here.

7. Last, but not least, the humor. I love to laugh and I get at least a
couple of good laughs every day around here.

VoxofaFox

Jun 8, 2002, 12:58:32 PM6/8/02
Ian wrote:

<< What is it you are looking for Jim? Why are you interested in why people
are here? For the record the reasons you list are much the same reasons I
stick around but I really don't see how that is of much interest to anybody.

I find it interesting and I thought it was a good question. It is probably
good to examine why I spend probably a half hour a day reading newsgroups. A
nod to anyone who gave this question careful consideration. I actually liked
what K wrote on this topic. I'll post hers and add my comments:

<<Here are my reasons:

1. I like the people>>

I like some of the people. Most of the ones I don't like, however, I like to
see what they have to say because it's good to look at the "other side".

<<2. I enjoy talking about subjects that are charged or taboo with family
members and friends.>>

Fortunately I don't have this problem. I can discuss anything with my family
or friends I discuss here. Often, a topic will come up in the ng that I take
to my husband or a friend for their opinion or to open up a discussion.

3. Stimulation ( the intellectual kind.)

I don't get that much here....more different points of view.

<<4.I'm not religious, I don't use a book as a moral guideline for my life, so
I like to hear what other people think about
certain issues. I like hearing more than one side.>>

Me too.

<<5. I dislike DL and enjoy like-minded company (of course)>>

I CAN like DL. I almost bailed on the group when I found out what the ng was
actually about....but it has been an **interesting** experience to tough it
out:) (sorry)

<<6. All the reasons you listed. I've found some great websites I would have
never found if they weren't posted here.>>

I have found some good articles. I am not a big web surfer, though.

<<7. Last, but not least, the humor. I love to laugh and I get at least a
couple of good laughs every day around here.>>

I only read about 3-4 threads at a time, so I must be missing all the
er...hilarity!

Jim

Jun 9, 2002, 12:00:19 AM6/9/02

Well, that WAS weird.

I know a couple who fit the "shop and drop" thing, that's exactly what
they do.
Their life is too full of stuff.

Thanks
Jim

eve

Jun 9, 2002, 8:26:04 AM6/9/02
Jim wrote: <snip>

> I have found some great web sites here, and was hoping that someone
> would add some.

Here's a bizarre site with an A+ creep factor:

www.coincidencedesign.com

It's a website for a professional stalking service, limited to buff,
straight male clients only. (In their FAQ, Coincidence states they don't
possess the "expertise" required to stalk gays, won't work with men who are
overweight and as for women, well, the "male-female dynamic just doesn't
work that way") but if you're a het male with killer pecs, they're your
yenta--just spot a complete stranger on the street who catches your fancy
and for eighty grand, Coincidence Design will investigate the woman's
private life (hobbies, friends, likes, dislikes, any problems with alcohol,
drugs, etc), provide you with a profile and then arrange a "coincidental"
meeting between the two of you, at which point you will presumably dazzle
the female in question with how magically you just happen to click--or as
the pie-eyed romantics at Coincidence put it:

"And when you start chatting, you'll draw on data we fed you beforehand. Say
that you hate pumpkins but do like The Smashing Pumpkins, whereupon she'll
excitedly exclaim that she feels precisely the same. One thing will lead to
another, and..."

(Ohmygod! You hate lemons but love lemonade, love Moby but hate Moby Dick
and have no friends but your favourite Friend is Chandler? We are *so*
meant to be together!)

"We can arrange for the two of you to first meet at a convention, and
then -- a few weeks later -- end up, coincidentally, seated next to each
other on a trans-Atlantic flight. Or find yourselves, coincidentally,
trapped in an elevator together."

...or across a crowded courtroom.

eve

Weltanscha

Jun 9, 2002, 8:47:41 AM6/9/02
" eve" j.ri...@verizon.net wrote:

The site looks has the look and feel of a hoax to me (starting right away with
the use of the actual word "stalk" to describe what they say they do, rather
than some euphemism that wouldn't tend to make their potential clients feel
like creeps if they use the service.) And there are more reasons to be
thinking along those lines:

http://www.newcitychicago.com/chicago/1610.html

- Dr. Tom

***
"I love when they say, when Enron went bankrupt we didn't do anything for em...
OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T, THEY WERE OUT OF MONEY! IT'S WHAT YOU DID FOR 'EM WHEN
THEY HAD MONEY!!" --James Carville, May 26, 2002

Weltanscha

Jun 9, 2002, 9:00:07 AM6/9/02
welta...@aol.com (Weltanscha) wrote:

>" eve" j.ri...@verizon.net wrote:
>
>The site looks has the look and feel of a hoax to me (starting right away
>with
>the use of the actual word "stalk" to describe what they say they do, rather
>than some euphemism that wouldn't tend to make their potential clients feel
>like creeps if they use the service.) And there are more reasons to be
>thinking along those lines:
>
>http://www.newcitychicago.com/chicago/1610.html
>
>- Dr. Tom

I looked further. Hoax: http://alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12236

The JapaneseDrunk.com site sounds funny. No longer there, unfortunately.