What is the function of Pirate Radio?

1 view

bel...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

Nov 18, 1993, 10:39:49 PM11/18/93
Greetings.
After reading through some of the posts in this newsgroup, I feel compelled
to ask: what are the reasons that any person would "need" or want to
circumvent Federal Communication Commission regulations in generating their
own radio transmissions?
I promise I'm not being sarcastic. But I am curious: is there too much
red tape for a lot of people's liking? Are there transmissions deemed too
"inappropriate" for the sanctioned airwaves? Or, is it all for kicks?
Please, I would indeed like to hear from people that have opinions on why
we need "Free Radio", and why the FCC is to be feared and distrusted. It
would enlighten me on a subject that I have just started to become familiar
with.

Dr. Mabuse

Nov 19, 1993, 3:04:39 PM11/19/93
In article <1993Nov18...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>,

The FCC monopolizes the airwaves. They tells us what we can
broadcast. Where we can broadcast. When we can broadcast. Granted, some
regulation is necessary in areas such as air traffic control, but why
shouldn't I be able to generate radio waves if I want to. How can you own
radiation? Are you aware how dificult it is to start a licensed station?
It involves forking over LOTS of $$$, holding public hearings, groveling
to the FCC, and complying to hundreds of costly and assinine regulations.

Mycal

Nov 19, 1993, 3:55:20 PM11/19/93
In article <1993Nov18...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu> bel...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu writes:

>Greetings.
> After reading through some of the posts in this newsgroup, I feel compelled
>to ask: what are the reasons that any person would "need" or want to
>circumvent Federal Communication Commission regulations in generating their
>own radio transmissions?
> I promise I'm not being sarcastic. But I am curious: is there too much
>red tape for a lot of people's liking? Are there transmissions deemed too
>"inappropriate" for the sanctioned airwaves? Or, is it all for kicks?

How bout all of the above. Right now if you want a voice on the airwave
be prepaired show that you have abut $75,000 to the FCC before they will
even consider your application. It is probibly much easyer just to buy
an existing station.

Back before 1980 it was possible to get a "micro power" licence. But
thanx to NPR and some commercials the Gooberment was lobbied to remove
this licence.

In other countries the only radio media is government controlled, so
"micro radio" provides an much needed alternative viewpoint. And in
some cases "micro radio"/"pirate radio" has caused the government to
grant non-government licences or in the case of italy deregulate
compleatly.

In these complicated times not much change happens in government unless
they are forced into it. The "micro radio" movement is trying to force
the government to change.

I'm sure there are ppl out there that run just for kicks too. Its a
mixed bag.

mycal

ps spell/grammer flames--> dev\null

If Micro Power Radio sounds too politically correct of a term for pirate
radio, be easy on us, its just that we've been listening to too much NPR.
my...@netacsys.com