katie davis lawsuit

Donald D Forsling

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <4f8b9b$g0j$1...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>,
Laurence Jarvik <74157...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>Just want to make clear to all -- especially after getting an off
>the record phone call from an anonymous source -- that NPR denies
>all allegations of sexual harrassment contained in the Katie
>Davis legal documents and that the Washington Times has published
>two letters denying any wrongdoing, one from NPR president Delano
>Lewis and the other from a group of female NPR employees
>including Nina Totenberg and Linda Wertheimer.
>
>Unfortunately, without full information being made available to
>the public, it is impossible to determine the facts of the matter
>independently at this point.
>
>Also, NPR still will not reveal how much it paid Katie Davis to
>settle the lawsuit.
>
>Certainly, if the allegations are untrue, as NPR says they are,
>NPR should have no objection to opening up their documentation to
>scrutiny -- especially if it clears the reputations which may
>have been sullied by the dispute, and if groundless accusations
>were included in the court filings.
>
>However, absent such disclosure, this controversy must remain
>shrouded in mystery. And if reputations are being damaged, they
>are being damaged by NPR's secretive handling of what should be a
>matter of public record.

Err, is it possible that the record is sealed as part of an agreement on the
matter reached at the request of Ms. Davis? Think about it. I'm not saying
that's the case, but it _is_ possible. Perhaps she was paid $100 and
doesn't want the settlement terms revealed. Again, I'm not saying that
that's the case, but is _is_ possible. And what's this public record
business? You'll have to take that up with the court if that's where the
settlement is filed. If it's simple a settlement reached between the
parties outside of court, neither side has any obligation to reveal the
terms. NPR is a _private_ corporation and it's business is _not_ a matter
of public record.

--
Don Forsling "IOWA..Gateway to The Large Rectangular States"
fors...@iastate.edu

alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
This seems to be typical of the outrageous arrogance of the leadership
of public broadcasting. Other examples that come to mind in recent
days are the failure of PBS News to fire one of its reporters who
attacked a congressman who was holding up a paper with a negative
headline about Hillary Clinton and the failure of NPR to fire Andrei
Codrescu and All Things Considered producer Weiss in the wake of
Codrescu's Hitlerian remarks about evaporating 4 million people whose
views he took exception to. Weiss refused initially to even request
an apology from Codrescu and when it did come he apologized only for
the way in which his remarks were expressed, not for the crypto-nazi
mentality that formed their foundation.

This continued arrogance and crypto-fascist conduct on the part of
what is becoming a network of rejects (like Totenburg) will simply add
fuel to the fire of those in congress who would like to defund public
broadcasting altogether.

In article <4f8b9b$g0j$1...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>, Laurence Jarvik <74157...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
> Just want to make clear to all -- especially after getting an off
> the record phone call from an anonymous source -- that NPR denies
> all allegations of sexual harrassment contained in the Katie
> Davis legal documents and that the Washington Times has published
> two letters denying any wrongdoing, one from NPR president Delano
> Lewis and the other from a group of female NPR employees
> including Nina Totenberg and Linda Wertheimer.
>
> Unfortunately, without full information being made available to
> the public, it is impossible to determine the facts of the matter
> independently at this point.
>
> Also, NPR still will not reveal how much it paid Katie Davis to
> settle the lawsuit.
>
> Certainly, if the allegations are untrue, as NPR says they are,
> NPR should have no objection to opening up their documentation to
> scrutiny -- especially if it clears the reputations which may
> have been sullied by the dispute, and if groundless accusations
> were included in the court filings.
>
> However, absent such disclosure, this controversy must remain
> shrouded in mystery. And if reputations are being damaged, they
> are being damaged by NPR's secretive handling of what should be a
> matter of public record.
>

> --
> Laurence Jarvik

Tom Betz

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
to alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:

> This seems to be typical of the outrageous arrogance of the leadership
> of public broadcasting. Other examples that come to mind in recent
> days are the failure of PBS News to fire one of its reporters who
> attacked a congressman who was holding up a paper with a negative
> headline about Hillary Clinton and the failure of NPR to fire Andrei
> Codrescu and All Things Considered producer Weiss in the wake of
> Codrescu's Hitlerian remarks about evaporating 4 million people whose
> views he took exception to. Weiss refused initially to even request
> an apology from Codrescu and when it did come he apologized only for
> the way in which his remarks were expressed, not for the crypto-nazi
> mentality that formed their foundation.

You really have no clue, do you?

If anyone is a "crypto-Nazi", it's people like you who act as thought-
police, attempting to silence anyone who doesn't concur with your narrow
little thought patterns.

Ah, but no amount of reasoned discourse will ever displace your fearful,
hate-filled unreason.

Pearls before swine, and all that...

-- Tom Betz ----------- <http://www.pobox.com/~tbetz> ------ (914) 375-1510 --
tb...@pobox.com | Now that the living outnumber the dead, | tb...@panix.com
-----------------+ I am one of many. -- Laurie Anderson +------------------
- The whole world is a beautiful place to play music. -- Jerry Garcia, 1969 -

Jeffrey E. Salzberg

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <1996Feb10.0...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:

+>This continued arrogance and crypto-fascist conduct on the part of
+>what is becoming a network of rejects (like Totenburg) will simply add
+>fuel to the fire of those in congress who would like to defund public
+>broadcasting altogether.

Rejects? Totenberg? She's only an award-winning journalist who could work
pretty much anywhere she wanted.

That's OK, though, keep repeating it and maybe some day someone will believe
it.

Maybe even you, yourself.

Visit the Houston Dance Coalition web page at http://maurice.cph.uh.edu/hdc/hdc.htm.

Richard A. Webb

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:
: This seems to be typical of the outrageous arrogance of the leadership
: of public broadcasting. Other examples that come to mind in recent
: days are the failure of PBS News to fire one of its reporters who
: attacked a congressman who was holding up a paper with a negative
: headline about Hillary Clinton and the failure of NPR to fire Andrei
...snip...

Not getting much lately, are you?

--
Rich Webb rw...@norfolk.infi.net
VaBch, VA

Laurence Jarvik

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Well, I was told by someone in a position to know that it was
sealed at the request of NPR, and this was confirmed elsewhere.
Second, NPR is not an ordinary private corporation, since it
receives a direct taxpayer subsidy from Congress. Therefore the
public has a right to know how tax money is being spent.
Third, NPR is a public trust and must hold to a higher standard
than an ordinary company.
Fourth, given NPR's role in spreading rumors of sexual
harrassment against Clarence Thomas and Bob Packwood and others,
it would seem simply fair for NPR to give allegations against its
own operation the same minimal level of scrutiny.
Mara Liasson retained legal counsel in a dispute with NPR over
allegations of sex discrimination -- then had the nerve to sign a
letter to the editor of the Washington Times praising NPR's
treatment of women!
Hypocrisy is perhaps an understatement for what is going on here.
Believe me, if Republicans were involved this would be a major
scandal and heads would be rolling left and right.
The case is simply evidence of a double standard by the media
towards allegations of sexual discrimination and harrassment in
general, and NPR's own double standards in particular.
There have been claims against NPR for sex discrimination, race
discrimination, and discrimination against the disabled. Payment
of financial settlements raise questions of "hush money."
Larry Jarvik

--
Laurence Jarvik

Tom Betz

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96

He sure refuses to respond to anyone who questions his pompous authority.

Won't respond to my email, even though he called me a Nazi for having the
audacity to challenge him.

--
---- Tom Betz --------- <http://www.pobox.com/~tbetz> ------ (914) 375-1510 --
tb...@pobox.com | We have tried ignorance for a very long | tb...@panix.com

alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article <311CBD...@pobox.com>, Tom Betz <tb...@pobox.com> writes:
> alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:
>>
>> This seems to be typical of the outrageous arrogance of the leadership
>> of public broadcasting. Other examples that come to mind in recent
>> days are the failure of PBS News to fire one of its reporters who
>> attacked a congressman who was holding up a paper with a negative
>> headline about Hillary Clinton and the failure of NPR to fire Andrei
>> Codrescu and All Things Considered producer Weiss in the wake of
>> Codrescu's Hitlerian remarks about evaporating 4 million people whose
>> views he took exception to. Weiss refused initially to even request
>> an apology from Codrescu and when it did come he apologized only for
>> the way in which his remarks were expressed, not for the crypto-nazi
>> mentality that formed their foundation.

Ah, let's see what we have here>

> You really have no clue, do you?

Well, that was silly, no argument there.

> If anyone is a "crypto-Nazi", it's people like you who act as thought-
> police, attempting to silence anyone who doesn't concur with your narrow
> little thought patterns.

The usual ad hominem attack that one gets from the ignorant, but still
no argument. For instance, the goose-stepping Betz lad offers no
defense for the attack on the Congressman by the PBS "reporter", nor
for the Hitlerian suggestion by the crypto-nazi Codrescu that the
world would be better off if those who disagree with him were evaporated.

> Ah, but no amount of reasoned discourse will ever displace your fearful,
> hate-filled unreason.

Reasoned discourse, and where might that have occured. Was there
another post that we missed?

> Pearls before swine, and all that...
>

> -- Tom Betz ----------- <http://www.pobox.com/~tbetz> ------ (914)
375-1510 -

Yes, and responses before bigotted little stormtroopers. Actually,
this really isn't fair. Our litte Hitler Jugend sent me this exact
little missive through the mail days ago. After about three personal
of civilized discourse, I simply stopped responding. Watch for
yourselves folks, and lets see if Little Tommie can actually construct
an argument, or if he simply continues with the ad hominem attacks.
As I ssaid via the mail. Tommie and Codrescu are peas of a pod. Heil
Tommie, heil Andrei. Npr uber alles!

Tom Betz

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
to alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:

> Yes, and responses before bigotted little stormtroopers. Actually,
> this really isn't fair. Our litte Hitler Jugend sent me this exact
> little missive through the mail days ago. After about three personal
> of civilized discourse, I simply stopped responding. Watch for
> yourselves folks, and lets see if Little Tommie can actually construct
> an argument, or if he simply continues with the ad hominem attacks.
> As I ssaid via the mail. Tommie and Codrescu are peas of a pod. Heil
> Tommie, heil Andrei. Npr uber alles!

Oh, clueless one, since you refused to answer these questions in my earlier
email, perhaps you will, now that you have once again resorted to calling
me a Nazi in public. Maybe you can do something besides slander people.
Or maybe you are a coward.

1) Who do the Christian Eschatologists believe will cause them to "evaporate"
when the Rapture comes?

2) Do Christian Eschatologists pray that the Rapture will come soon?

3) Why does Pat Robertson hope that Israel will soon rebuild the Temple of
Solomon in Jerusalem?

4) Did you actually hear Andrei Codrescu's commentary, or did you base your
opinion about Mr. Codrescu on secondhand information?

5) If the latter, from whom did you obtain your secondhand information.

6) Did you ever contact the NPR Transcripts number I gave you out of the
goodness of my heart, after you complained that the NPR News Director
you tried to intimidate into sending you a transcript did not do so?

[posted and mailed]

alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
In article <3121FA...@pobox.com>, Tom Betz <tb...@pobox.com> writes:
> alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:
>
>> Yes, and responses before bigotted little stormtroopers. Actually,
>> this really isn't fair. Our litte Hitler Jugend sent me this exact
>> little missive through the mail days ago. After about three personal
>> of civilized discourse, I simply stopped responding. Watch for
>> yourselves folks, and lets see if Little Tommie can actually construct
>> an argument, or if he simply continues with the ad hominem attacks.
>> As I ssaid via the mail. Tommie and Codrescu are peas of a pod. Heil
>> Tommie, heil Andrei. Npr uber alles!
>
> Oh, clueless one, since you refused to answer these questions in my earlier
> email, perhaps you will, now that you have once again resorted to calling
> me a Nazi in public. Maybe you can do something besides slander people.
> Or maybe you are a coward.

What did I predict above? You start your diatribe by whining that
I have refused to respond to the childish barrage of e-mail
you've sent me outside the newsgroup and then end the paragraph
with yet another ad hominem attack. Nowhere in your post do you
present an argument, just these idiotic questions that have
little or nothing to do with the issues raised in my original
posting.

As you may recall, the initial posting took crypto-nazi, Andrei
Codescru to task for his Hitlerian statement "The evaporation of
4 million (people) who believe in this crap would leave the world
in an instantly better place". There are people out there who I
dislike, but I don't suggest that the world would be better off
if they didn't exist. I also mentioned the PBS propaganda piglet
who physically assaulted a congressman when he held up a news
headline unfavorable to Hillary Clinton. In addition, I gave a
brief aside to the historical arrogance, dishonesty and
mediocrity of public broadcasting's staff, losers like Nina
Totenburg who claimed she left a job because of sexual harassment
when in fact she was fired for plagarism. And, once again the
idiot, Julianne Malveaux, has proven to be an embarrassment.
Indeed, PBS seems to be sort of a modern day French Foreign
Legion, comprised as it is of mediocrity, misfits and scoundrels,
only totally absent any hint of honor or socially redeeming
quality. Now to your questions.

1 & 2. You refer to "Christian Eschatologists" as if there were
some monolithical group out there called Christian Eschatologists
who represent the entirety of Christian thought. That is sheer
bigotry. Substitute the term "Jews" (Juden to you and Andrei) or
the name of any other group and your paranoia and hate-mongering
should be self-evident to even your miniscule brain. Regardless,
these points are irrelevant to the discussion except as evidence
of your bigotry (and its apparent source at NPR).

3. I haven't a clue as to what Pat Robertson hopes for. When we
met with the Council on Foreign Relations, the Bilderburgers and
the International Jewish Banking Cabal, it wasn't my turn to
watch him. You've really got to stop listening to NPR before you
become totally paranoid and that Nazi propaganda rots your brain.

4 & 5. Are you denying that Codrescu made the statement quoted
above? If you are, your Nazi buddies have left you high and dry.
They've already admitted that it was over the top even for their
despicably low standards. They also failed to do the decent and
honorable thing and fire Codrescu and producer Weiss.

6. I don't pay for Nazi propaganda. I don't support the Klu
Klux Klan or any other hate group. If you choose to do so, by
all means... However, let's clarify what we're talking about for
anyone else who might read these lines. I offered to give
Codrescu every reasonable doubt by reviewing the transcript of
the entire show and the folks at NPR indicated that they would
send one out either by mail or e-mail. They did not request any
money. I have not received the transcript.

Finally, you are the coward. You send me this garbage off the
network so you won't be embarassed by a public display of its
childish content and then, little stormtrooper that you are, you
demand that I jump up and respond to your every ignorant braying.
Again, you and Andrei are peas in a pod. Heil Tommie, heil
Andrei.

Tom Betz

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
to alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
alte...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:

> I'm not sure what it says about NPR that every reponse I've gotten so
> for from this group consists solely of the kind of childish drivel
> submitted by the young master Webb.

So I presume you intend to continue to ignore the serious questions I
have asked you?